View Full Version : Grocery store prices and gas prices

Jesseda
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
So the grocery products rose with the price of gas, products became smaller, veggies,fruits,eggs,bread,etc went up a lot, so now that gas prices are down, why isnt the price of food?????

JakeZula
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd like to know the same thing...

ewoodard
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Most of the food on the shelves today were shipped when prices were still high, so we are going to see food prices high for some time. If you want fresh produce then I would check into local farmer's markets or the guy selling on the corner. In MWC there was a guy that sold produce on the corners of 23 and Midwest Blvd, and reno and air depot. You could buy a small bucket of tomatoes (5-6 large) for $5. I don't know if he is still there or not.

Midtowner
11-19-2008, 11:50 AM
The prices will decline, but they'll be slower. Look up the phrase "sticky prices," it should describe the phenomenon.

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Actually, gas prices also are slower to come down than they are to rise. It just doesn't look like it because they're been coming down a whole lot lately. We're pretty happy with lower prices, so gas stations can be slower to bring the prices down. They can use the cushion to make up some of the money from when gas prices were rising so much so fast and they were all barely making rent.

Jesseda
01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
still waiting on those grocery store gas inflation prices to go down lol, i guess when gas goes back up they will increase again without decreasing, so expext to pay more (extra upon now inflated prices) for groceries yet again if gas prices go up again. my question is why is the food industry doing this, i can undertand when gas prices where 4 dollars and up a gallon and it costed more to deliver, but whats the reason now?

NE Oasis
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
my question is why is the food industry doing this, i can undertand when gas prices where 4 dollars and up a gallon and it costed more to deliver, but whats the reason now?

The answer is in the comodities market. The food industry has to ensure a steady suppy or raw material, so it's not unusual to have contracts for deliveries up to six motnhs in the future. Many probably "bought" thier Janaury deliveries in July or August when prices where through the roof.,

TaoMaas
01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
my question is why is the food industry doing this, i can undertand when gas prices where 4 dollars and up a gallon and it costed more to deliver, but whats the reason now?

My answer is, "Greed". They've seen that we'll pay the higher amounts, so why lower prices now? Competition is what drives prices back down. But in these days when our shopping choices are becoming less diversified, who's really offering the competition needed to keep prices in check?

TaoMaas
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Wow...I thought I'd double posted, but then I realized that it's just that NE Oasis and I are using the same avatar. LOL

FFLady
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Not only groceries, but has anyone noticed the prices of magazines?

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Our gas prices here in Austin have been creeping back up in the past few weeks. It is around 1.59 at most places.

Not only groceries, but has anyone noticed the prices of magazines?
Magazines are raising prices because ad revenue is down.

OKCisOK4me
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Our gas prices here in Austin have been creeping back up in the past few weeks. It is around 1.59 at most places.

Same price as here.

My mom told me the other day that gas up in Wyoming was a $1.34. I told her that it's not like a lot of people that knew of the situation brewing underneath Yellowstone would want to risk going up there for that cheap gas, lol.

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
When we were up there at Christmas I think we paid 1.36 and it was 1.45 here in Austin. When we were heading back to Austin from West Texas, the stations in Junction, Texas on I-10 were still asking 1.89. It was 1.32 in Midland.

Jon27
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Why is gas going up? I paid $1.31 for Ethanol Free Gas at the end of December. $1.48 for Ethanol Gas at the beginning of the month. $1.64 for Ethanol Free today. Is it because of "speculation in the middle east." As far as I can see, oil that was sold for January delivery was lower than what was sold for December delivery. Gas and oil reserves are way up. Also, there are no refinery issues. So what's the deal?

mecarr
01-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Why is gas going up? I paid $1.31 for Ethanol Free Gas at the end of December. $1.48 for Ethanol Gas at the beginning of the month. $1.64 for Ethanol Free today. Is it because of "speculation in the middle east." As far as I can see, oil that was sold for January delivery was lower than what was sold for December delivery. Gas and oil reserves are way up. Also, there are no refinery issues. So what's the deal?

Meaniwhile oil closed at $37...If gas is going up, it has nothing to do with the oil prices.

venture
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
The latest excuse...Israel and Gaza. Of course if the Yellowstone Caldera would finally just blow, all of this would be meaningless. :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-14-2009, 03:50 AM

It was my understanding that OPEC cut production and refineries were taking this time to do needed repairs and maintenance to their facilities while prices are low enough for people to not raise a stink over.

But that's just info from the intertubes...Take it for what it's worth.

Thunder
01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I see Yellowstone discussion!

How soon will Yellowstone erupt?! I've been waiting... Not that I want it to, but all the education on History and Discovery channels, its being said to be any moment now.

venture
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I think it is the last thing anyone should be waiting for, that and a large meteor to hit again. Probably sometime between now and the next 10,000 years. Considering when it blows, we'll all be in nuclear winter conditions for a couple decades - we may just want it to hold off a bit. When it goes it'll make Mount St Helens look like a 5th graders science project.