View Full Version : Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

jackirons
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
What's your favorite burger place in Oklahoma?

I haven't been to a lot of places, but the burgers in Meers were very good.

braums manager
01-07-2009, 06:56 PM
maybe im biased but braums has good burgers but i do like carls and burger king

ImTheDude
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Iron Starr BBQ

bluepickle
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Bricktown Burgers gets my vote.

danielf1935
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Bunnies Onion Burger @ NW 50th and meridian

TaoMaas
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I've always had a thing for Charcoal Oven burgers.

Chynna802
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Irma's Burger Shack

MadMonk
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Irma's is my favorite.

Thanks for the reminder about Bunny's, danielf. I had forgotten about that place.

Jon27
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Dan's Ol' Time Diner on SW 84th and Western. Excellent onion burger!!!

jsibelius
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Ron's were pretty good. IHOP, surprisingly, has a pretty good one, but I'm trying to stay away from the big chains. Goldie's has a good one as well. I haven't been to their location on Danforth yet since they moved.

danielf1935
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
If you're ever in Chickasha, you have to try the J&W Grill, it's just West of the Court House. It's a very small, greasy spoon joint, seats probably 12--14 people (most order to go), but if you have to wait, it's well worth your time.

Matt
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Goldie's has a good one as well. I haven't been to their location on Danforth yet since they moved.

Goldie's FTW! It's criminal that there are so few of them here in the metro. I went to the new Danforth location not too long ago and the burgers were just as good as they ever were.

Other favorites include Johnnie's and Irma's.

Have been meaning to try Nic's Grill but haven't gotten around to it yet.

GWB
01-12-2009, 07:57 PM

No comment.

keving
01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I've heard of a place in Meers, OK that is supposed to have good burgers. Haven't been there yet but I plan to this Spring/Summer.

H&H Gun Range has a cafe inside. Their burgers are excellent! Best I have had in a long time. The guy looks very professional with a white chef's coat and the place is very clean. They also have some good pasta dishes and quesadillas.

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Hard to beat The Meers Store (http://www.meersstore.com/)....

I was never a fan of Ron's, I lived in the Mayfair area and tried it several times and just came away completely unimpressed but my father really likes it.

No comment.
I think Braum's has a good burger for what it is, a fast food burger. It isn't a "gourmet burger" and they don't try to pass it off as one. Carls and BK can be good but they can also be bad.

tburn
01-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Irma's "no name" burger

VZDs

Barry's Old Fashioned (30th & May area, next to Epperson Photo)
really good fresh cut fries too!

tuck
01-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Bunnies Onion Burger @ NW 50th and meridian

A second Bunny's location is to open this spring/summer at SE corner of NW 23rd & Hudson.

Steve
01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
In what building?

jbrown84
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Meers Store and Restaurant
Irma's Burger Shack
Earl's Rib Palace
Goldie's Patio Grill

GWB
01-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I think Braum's has a good burger for what it is, a fast food burger. It isn't a "gourmet burger" and they don't try to pass it off as one. Carls and BK can be good but they can also be bad.

I think Braum's is on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to getting a good burger. They are never consistent, and depending on which store you go to, the service can be really bad. There is no quality control going on at all as far as I have been able to tell. I got a hamburger there one time with two "slices" of tomatoes on it. The tomatoes were the very end part of the tomato, and I do mean end. I showed the gal at the cash register and she said that they have to use every bit of the tomato, that's what they're told to do. I have a hard time believing that but that's what she said. I love their old fashioned krinkle cut fries, but often times they are served warm. French fries should be served hot, at least when you are eating them in the restaurant.

Braums has tried to do too many things by having a mini-store there. Their fruits and vegetables are pathetic. They've lost focus as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it's a good thing for some of the smaller towns without a full service grocery store. But I think they would be better off sticking to burgers and ice cream and do a better job at it rather than trying to be a store and burger and ice cream joint. Just my opinion of course. Oh, I do like their milk products though.

FFLady
01-13-2009, 09:49 AM
A second Bunny's location is to open this spring/summer at SE corner of NW 23rd & Hudson.

Bunny sold her store in Edmond, there @ Danforth & Kelly, it is now Al's. As popular as she is with her wonderful burgers, I can't blame her for that choice - she drives in from way South of town, Tuttle, if I remember correctly......

I'm a big fan of What-a-burger. Chuck House also makes a good one. I like the flame-broil concept better than the grill when it comes to burgers.....

ewoodard
01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I agree with Meers Store and I have to give a vote to 15th Street Grill in Midwest City across from McDonald's just east of Air Depot. Little hole in the wall resturant with great onion burgers.

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I think Braum's is on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to getting a good burger. They are never consistent, and depending on which store you go to, the service can be really bad. There is no quality control going on at all as far as I have been able to tell. I got a hamburger there one time with two "slices" of tomatoes on it. The tomatoes were the very end part of the tomato, and I do mean end. I showed the gal at the cash register and she said that they have to use every bit of the tomato, that's what they're told to do. I have a hard time believing that but that's what she said. I love their old fashioned krinkle cut fries, but often times they are served warm. French fries should be served hot, at least when you are eating them in the restaurant.
To me, they are a "fast food" burger so their competition isn't the burger joints but McDonald's, Burger King, etc. as it is a different level of competition. That is why I said it was good for a "fast food" burger and I have had pretty consistent food there but I do agree that it varies by location as do all places. I typically do not like Burger King, I have found them to be pretty poor overall in my opinion. But one day I was running errands at lunch and stopped by the one near my office in North Austin (Braker & Mopac) and it was a very good fast food burger and has been very consistent when I have been there, it is about the only Burger King that I will go to. Now given a choice, I would choose Houston's (similar to Charleston's in OKC), Mighty Fine (a new concept by the Rudy's BBQ people in Austin) or Hut's over any fast food burger just as I would choose other places in OKC over a Braums for something more than a fast food burger.

Braums has tried to do too many things by having a mini-store there. Their fruits and vegetables are pathetic. They've lost focus as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it's a good thing for some of the smaller towns without a full service grocery store. But I think they would be better off sticking to burgers and ice cream and do a better job at it rather than trying to be a store and burger and ice cream joint. Just my opinion of course. Oh, I do like their milk products though.
I agree that they are trying to do too much...I just wish they would open a store closer to Austin than Hillsboro. We always pack a cooler when traveling to OKC or even North Texas so we can bring some Braums home.

tuck
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
In what building?

Where the Palmas Pizza / Convenience Store was.

CuatrodeMayo
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Where the Palmas Pizza / Convenience Store was.

SWEET!

A just a hop, skip and jump away from me!

Matt
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
To me, they are a "fast food" burger. . .

Braum's: All the taste of a fast food burger, but with the wait-time of a sit-down restaurant!

danielf1935
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Braum's is the best place to grab a burger------if nothing else is open!!!!!!!!!

tburn
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Every single time I have tried a Braum's burger (the commercials get me!) I get a bite of hard gristle or bone sliver.

I'm happy to see they are remodeling the 23rd & Meridian location -- I think that is the 1st Braums in town/or state!

I live near their new design/concept store at 39th & Tulsa and love the quality of their produce, milk, etc but I cannot stand their OJ! Why can't they make it NOT FROM CONCENTRATE?

*** HUT's Burgers in Austin are the most over-rated I have ever tried!

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Every single time I have tried a Braum's burger (the commercials get me!) I get a bite of hard gristle or bone sliver.

I'm happy to see they are remodeling the 23rd & Meridian location -- I think that is the 1st Braums in town/or state!

I live near their new design/concept store at 39th & Tulsa and love the quality of their produce, milk, etc but I cannot stand their OJ! Why can't they make it NOT FROM CONCENTRATE?

*** HUT's Burgers in Austin are the most over-rated I have ever tried!
The first Braum's is where Companion Animal Clinic is on Meridian just north of 23rd. They built the current store on 23rd in the early to mid 80's. I grew up in that area.

I do agree their service is poor, usually we eat at the one in Hillsboro on the way back to Austin from OKC, so that has become my point of reference in the past 5 years.

sooners83
01-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Johnnie's #9

tuck
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=

*** HUT's Burgers in Austin are the most over-rated I have ever tried![/QUOTE]

totally agree!!!

The Old Downtown Guy
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Charcoal Oven for flame broiled.
Ron's for grilled.
Irma's for lean.

Loved your comment about Bram's food Matt . . . so right on. I buy nothing from those guys even though they are an Oklahoma Company. No factory farm food for this old fart.

The Greatful Bean is advertising buffalo, but I haven't tried one yet. Anyone else been there?

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I have found one that I like at Hut's, the Sink Burger but we go to Mighty Fine much more often. I heard good things about Dirty Martin's on The Drag near the UT campus but I was unimpressed. The best that I have had in Central Texas is at the Blanco Bowling Alley and Orsak's Cafe in Fayetteville. They are small town burger joints/cafes, to me it is hard to beat many of those.

tuck
01-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Need to try the Kobe Burger at Red Prime.

Other than this biased choice, my vote is Bunny's and VZD's.

keving
01-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I've heard of a place called Nick's either on May or Penn in near 13th. Have heard from a neighbor friend that they have excellent burgers. The place is small but he runs an efficient burger joint.

danielf1935
01-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Nic's at NW 11th and Penn is very good, if you go, don't wear your good dress shirt and be greedy and take lots of napkins.

westsidesooner
01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd have to agree with the Irma's and Johnnies crowd. If youd asked last year I would have said Burger Shack at 39th and Rockwell, they had great flame broiled burgers served open faced with a burger bar for your choice of toppings.....meaning LOTS of cheese for me. Are there anymore burger bar type places around?

Its hard to compare flame broiled with fried...almost two different food groups. And about Braums, I use to go there all the time but about two years ago they started using a lot more salt in their burgers, (maybe to please the older crowds taste buds) but its too much for me. Their fries are good though. Also Lincoln Park and Hefner golf clubs use to have great burger baskets..........but maybe burgers just taste better at golf courses.

Since the Hut in Austin was mentioned I'll give a shout out to The Clover Grill in NOLA.

bluedogok
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Also Lincoln Park and Hefner golf clubs use to have great burger baskets..........but maybe burgers just taste better at golf courses.
Growing up my favorite was the old greasy spoon burgers at the Lake Hefner Golf Course Pro Shop, they were just great. We played there 2-3 times a week in Jr. High. When they renovated the Pro Shop they just weren't the same after that.

OKCitizen
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Cracker Barrel's Bacon Cheese Burgers are the BEST!!!

stick47
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
What a sad sight! I just drove past the Charcoal Oven at MacArthur and saw it was boarded up!

Matt
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Cracker Barrel's Bacon Cheese Burgers are the BEST!!!

http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/ohbfrank.gif

jbrown84
01-15-2009, 10:27 AM
What a sad sight! I just drove past the Charcoal Oven at MacArthur and saw it was boarded up!

Oh that's too bad! An OKC Classic.

Millie
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh that's too bad! An OKC Classic.

I ate at the other location ten days or so ago. At that time, there was no indication they were going to close. I drove by the other day and it looks like they're still open there.

I never understood why they had two locations so close together.

Buickcarnut
01-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Can't believe more people haven't tried a cheddar burger at Earls on western? Now that's a burger. I still have yet to see what the facination with Jonnies is? I've had better Braums burgers than Jonnies.

MrBojangles
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Nic's at NW 11th and Penn is very good, if you go, don't wear your good dress shirt and be greedy and take lots of napkins.

Best burger in OKC!

Easy180
01-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Have Ron's sausage cheeseburger at the top of my list

XtraStout
01-24-2009, 02:16 PM
For price i would say the 1/2 price burgers at McNellies on wed. nights are the best deal, about 3.50.

Belle Isle brewery's HoneyPepperBaconBurger is pretty good

Is FlatTire in edmond still around?

The Crimson K9 out on west 10th had a great burger and hotlink sandwich... maybe it was the beers tho.

oh and in austin hut's is overrated i liked the jackalope's burgers.

jstanthrnme
01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
What's your favorite burger place in Oklahoma?

I haven't been to a lot of places, but the burgers in Meers were very good.

I'll be eating at Meers tommorow night. That's my choice for best in the state. I'll probably follow up with some peach cobbler, and thats really good too.

I've never had Ron's. I'm really not in any hurry to try it after hearing the commercials on the radio that state something like, "Todays Special? Pay Full Price for Everything All Day". That's not the best way to advertise IMO.

danielf1935
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
If your ever in Bartlesville, you have to try Murphys Steak House, order the hot hamburger, it's a 12 oz sirloin patty on a grilled bun, covered with homemade fry's and smothered with homemade, brown gravy.

Not healthy, but dang, it's good

CuatrodeMayo
01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
If your ever in Bartlesville, you have to try Murphys Steak House, order the hot hamburger, it's a 12 oz sirloin patty on a grilled bun, covered with homemade fry's and smothered with homemade, brown gravy.

I'll second that.

My wife and I day-tripped to B-ville about this time last year and was encouraged to go there. I loved the hot hamburger. Plus it has a really cool semi-rural cafe feel.

native
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
If in the Tulsa area Hank's Hamburgers on Admiral. Son's Hamburgers in Wagoner are also good.

Il Dolce Gelato
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM
For a good burger, I'll put my vote in for Sooner Dairy Lunch in Norman. If you go though, don't forget to take cash.

Thunder
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
BBQ Bacon burger (cant remember if I had cheese on it). Really great. Mom had a burger (not sure which kind) and they grilled the onions. Cheesecake Factory

Is there still a Big Ed's around?

OKCDrummer77
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, there's a Big Ed's at NW 122nd & Penn.

bluedogok
02-01-2009, 10:02 AM
BBQ Bacon burger (cant remember if I had cheese on it). Really great. Mom had a burger (not sure which kind) and they grilled the onions. Cheesecake Factory

Is there still a Big Ed's around?

Yes, there's a Big Ed's at NW 122nd & Penn.
There's is a story today in The Oklahoman about Big Ed's passing (Edward L. Thomas obituary (http://www.legacy.com/Oklahoman/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=123532841)), they also have a video interview with the owner of the current Big Ed's location at 122nd & Penn. Growing up we ate at the 23rd & MacArthur location quite often.

NewsOK.com - For many Oklahomans, ‘Big Ed’ lives on in memories (http://newsok.com/for-many-oklahomans-big-ed-lives-on-in-memories/article/3342206)

Thunder
02-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh, they really do have great burgers and fries. I've always went to the one on Sunnylane, just off of 15th in Del City. Sadly, that was gone quite some time now. I remember another one on Western, south of I-40, but I'm sure that one is gone too.

Mom and Dad met at the Del City's Big Ed's and later married. They're now divorced.

Big Ed's, thanks for giving my dad a job, now mom and him met and here I am. I'm born alive!

AFCM
02-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I doubt too many people have visited Hungry Frog's, located at NW 10th and Penn, but they have some amazing burgers for a really good price.

Martin
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
loved big ed's burgers growing up... we'd almost always go there instead of a fast food chain. anyone know where his first location was?

-M

t3h_wookiee
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Meh, it's really pretty poor nowadays honestly. I grew up in Bartlesville and ate there all the time. Now it's a poor shadow of its once glory. Not bad by any means, but eh, if you'd had one when they were awesome, it's hard to eat them now.

I do still love their fries smothered in the gravy though!

My vote is for Irma's here in OKC.

Thunder
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Confirmed. Big Ed's is on 122nd and Penn. Well worth the drive.

Only issue is thin ketchup and lack of dessert.

Jumbo Doublemeat Cheeseburger with Fries and Drink for 6 bux. I added bacons. :-)

That place was full. Not sure why all the other stores closed, but sure do hope they start reopening new stores.