View Full Version : 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

warreng88
11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
More than 14,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle owners are set to gather in Oklahoma City next June for the group's annual worldwide gathering. State Fair Park and Bricktown will host the Harley Owners Group (HOG) June 26 through June 29.

"Oklahoma City's hip, spirited surroundings combined with its deep western heritage create the perfect backdrop for CLUB HOG OKC," said Benny Suggs, general manager of H.O.G. rider services. "Our members plan on arriving early and staying late so they can take advantage of the many exciting adventures this fantastic part of the country has to offer."

The rallies will include musical performances, stunt and drill teams, demonstration and destination rides and a display of the mobile Harley-Davidson museum.

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, said he is confident the district can accommodate the thousands of visitors who frequent the area’s restaurants, shops and attractions.

“We had an event at the ballpark a few years ago and had a small Harley owners group in the ‘90s,” Cowan said. “Both events were extremely successful.”

http://newsok.com/14000-harley-davidson-owners-to-visit-city-in-2009/article/3323097?custom_click=headlines_widget

metro
11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow, that will be HUGE, and a huge boost to the local economy.

southernskye
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Cool, this is going on the calendar. Thankfully the dates don't conflict with ROT.

Lurker34
11-18-2008, 03:21 PM
All of a sudden Bricktown becomes biker friendly? They must be hurting for $$$$. The parking situation will be an issue since most parking garages will NOT accept motorcycles.

Karried
11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
That is so exciting! I can't wait.... might have to get another bike. We had a Road King Classic... loved it! But when we moved to OK, the weather wasn't as conducive to riding all the time so it sat in the garage.. and we sold it. Regret it big time.

As far as parking - Most places just block off the streets and bikers park at an angle and line both sides of the streets.

southernskye
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
That is so exciting! I can't wait.... might have to get another bike. We had a Road King Classic... loved it! But when we moved to OK, the weather wasn't as conducive to riding all the time so it sat in the garage.. and we sold it. Regret it big time.

As far as parking - Most places just block off the streets and bikers park at an angle and line both sides of the streets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/3042306430_56822b7fdb_m.jpg
ROT 2008

Karried
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
yup

windowphobe
11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I got to thread my way through some of ROT 2008, which was going on while I was visiting Austin this past summer. Sterling folks, by and large, and I expect the same from the bikers coming here.

warreng88
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
I want to preface this by saying I think this will be great for a our city, tourism and giving others a chance to see Bricktown, State Fair and all our great city has to offer.

That being said, I personally will be out of town that weekend because I live at 23rd and May. I know that is not right next to the State Fairgrounds, but we are three houses from May. Those people will be driving up and down that street and I know I will never be able to sleep. Great for the city, bad for my rest.

jbrown84
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Interesting perspective.

I remember we visited Salt Lake to see old friends when the Olympics were coming up, and they were all saying they were getting out of town that week or 2 because it was going to be such a traffic mess and all.

jstanthrnme
11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
this sounds like a great oppurtunity for price gouging!

bluedogok
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I got to thread my way through some of ROT 2008, which was going on while I was visiting Austin this past summer. Sterling folks, by and large, and I expect the same from the bikers coming here.
It is one of the top three events economic impact wise every year here in Austin right up there with SXSW and ACL Fest and by some accounts even a larger impact than those events. It seemed a bit smaller than this year with estimates of around 40,000 instead of the 50-60,000 for the previous few years.

I have a friend who is a district commander for Austin-Travis County EMS and that area is in his district, he dreads it just for the sheer logistics involved and usually tries to take that weekend off and ride in a different direction away from here. It is more of a "cruiser" event than what I participate in with my Triumph. It is neat to see all the bikes running around town though.

southernskye
11-19-2008, 11:07 PM
It is one of the top three events economic impact wise every year here in Austin right up there with SXSW and ACL Fest and by some accounts even a larger impact than those events. It seemed a bit smaller than this year with estimates of around 40,000 instead of the 50-60,000 for the previous few years. I think the high fuel prices kept some away.

The rally, which has an estimated $34.5 million economic impact for Austin, has grown to the largest motorcycle event in Texas and is pushing to become the third largest in the country behind the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and Daytona Bike Week in Florida.

I think the Harley Owners Group (HOG) event will be good for OKC.

sgray
11-20-2008, 12:33 AM
...yeah I ran sound for the live music part of the Harley event (in the ballpark) that came through a few years back...that was cool to be a stop on the tour.

grantgeneral78
11-21-2008, 05:52 AM
This will be great cannot wait to hear the rolling thunder come through town.

gen70
01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
What date in 2009?

soonergal
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
More than 14,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle owners are set to gather in Oklahoma City next June for the group's annual worldwide gathering. State Fair Park and Bricktown will host the Harley Owners Group (HOG) June 26 through June 29.
last weekend in June

MadMonk
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
this sounds like a great oppurtunity for price gouging!
The price for a lap dance is going to soar! :LolLolLol

danielf1935
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Price gouging, heavy traffic, loud noise, high lap dances, why is it when something good happens, 75% of the people get so negative.
This is a wonderful event, will bring in millions of $$$$$ and you're true Harley Owners/Riders are wonderful people.

P.S. Yes, I'm a Harley Rider and proud of it!!!!!!!!

MadMonk
01-13-2009, 06:27 AM
My post was tongue-in-cheek. BTW, what are "true" Harley owner/riders and how are they differentiated from other owner/riders?

danielf1935
01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
"True" Harley owners/riders are very dedicated to their American Made Bikes, in turn they often extend that dedication to several charity causes, (March of Dimes, Toys for Tots, Downed Bikers, etc;)

MadMonk
01-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Ahh, I see. Dedication to their bikes and charities are the deciding factors. So, how do you know when you meet a fellow "real" owner rather than a "non-real" owner? Do you have a super-secret handshake or something?

Lurker34
01-13-2009, 08:07 AM
:beaten_fi
Do you have a super-secret handshake or something?

Yes, and until you pay your dues, we're not going to teach you the super, super secret handshake.

MadMonk
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
How much do dues cost? Do you get a "Real" patch? Maybe if I buy enough officially licensed Harley Davidson® clothing I'll get in. Where do RUBs get their designer leathers? :LolLolLol

Karried
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Here's how you join... Pay 20K to 40K for a Harley... Take a class, learn to ride and get a license.

You can get a real patch from H.O.G ...

Dues = Survive a few lay downs and close calls by clueless drivers without dying. You're In!

Welcome to the Club.

Welcome Harley Riders!!!

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"

Nermel
01-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I certainly hope OCPD won't overlook noise violations from visitors to okc that don't have proper sound dampering on their bikes.

Karried
01-14-2009, 08:41 AM
yeah, that'd be great.

'Welcome to OKC, here's a ticket, y'all come back now'.

And people wonder why we're not a tourist destination.

I love the sound of Harley pipes, the louder the better.

bluedogok
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I love the sound of Harley pipes, the louder the better.
Not me, I have the stock can on my Triumph. I've ridden behind a straight piped monstrosity for almost 100 miles, it is just ridiculous and actually degrades the performance. During the ROT Rally they all stay in the hotels by my wife's office, she has a ground floor window facing the street and she has to stop conversations on the phone when they roar by. Now a Ducati or Aprilia twin with a good set of Termi's...that is good. Louder but not obnoxious loud like the straight piped cruisers. I had a neighbor down the street from me in the Mayfair area who roared everywhere on his custom, 3am every morning rattling my windows and waking my dog and I up, I kind of wished that thing would get stolen. Even if you have loud pipes there are "considerate" ways to ride but too many want to be the center of attention....that is the only reason why people have them.

I agree the stock pipes are a bit quieter than I like but too many go for the "look at me" sound instead of performance and all it does is erode rights. There are cities that have bans on loud pipes, some in the Hill Country are considering it because they are too loud. Denver passed a law last year requiring the EPA sticker on motorcycle pipes or you get a ticket. The cruiser crowd would be much better served by going a little louder than stock not going for as loud as possible. So would the sport bikes with loud pipes and the cars with fart cans.

nik4411
01-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I will be marking this on the calender as well. I can't wait until one day I get out of school and start making some money and am able to get a bike myself.

Karried
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Even if you have loud pipes there are "considerate" ways to ride but too many want to be the center of attention....that is the only reason why people have them.

You're right .. some people do.. but others use them to alert cars and other drivers to their whereabouts and like the sound of them ...

That's what it's all about, being considerate.

I imagine living next door would get old ( actually, not for me, as I did live next door to the president of a biker's club). He had friends over all the time but they were extremely considerate.

I guess certain things bother people more than others.

For example, we finally moved when the teenagers across the street pulled out their ghetto blasters and started hanging out in the streets night and day blaring their foul mouth music. buh bye, I was moving before they discovered hydraulics and trunk speakers.

My kids play music non-stop.. but at 10:00pm, even in the house, we make them turn it way down or off to be considerate to our neighbors.. and they don't live very close at all.

I used to live in a city that had a huge bike rally.. I loved the sound of all of the bikes roaring in... I still do.

southernskye
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
this sounds like a great opportunity for price gouging!

If there is price gouging it will just ensure that this event doesn't ever return to OKC.

Smokin Joe
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm looking forward to the event myself... Definately gonna be there, and I hope that I can get new pipes by then...

Joe

http://www.joesentell.com/scooter/old%20joe.jpg

progressiveboy
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM
If there is price gouging it will just ensure that this event doesn't ever return to OKC. Not necessarily. Not everyone likes "cheap". Besides look at this way, the revenue it can generate and exposure it creates is a positive thing in itself. Another trend I notice is that doctors lawyers, etc... ride Harleys and motorcycles and they have high disposable income so bring on the price gouging they can afford to pay it and line the city's coffers.

MadMonk
01-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Also, OKC is a relatively cheap place to play to begin with so most visitors might not even realize they were getting gouged. One man's gouging is another's bargain. :wink:

As for loud pipes, I don't really mind them within reason, but some go a little overboard. I'm sure they wouldn't like me roaring by their house at 3:00am with a hemi with open headers. On nice days, I don't need an alarm clock, the guy's Harley on the next block wakes me up at 5:30am on the dot when he warms it up for his drive to work. I feel sorry for his next door neighbors.

bluedogok
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
You're right .. some people do.. but others use them to alert cars and other drivers to their whereabouts and like the sound of them ...

That's what it's all about, being considerate.

I imagine living next door would get old ( actually, not for me, as I did live next door to the president of a biker's club). He had friends over all the time but they were extremely considerate.

I guess certain things bother people more than others.
Most of the time the "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" is nothing more than an excuse, the sound is coming out the back and the sound profile is very small towards the from where most of the dangers from other vehicle come from. Roaring up Independence just south of NW 50th at 3am was not a necessary area or time of day to be using "loud pipes". In a neighborhood you should ride considerately especially in the middle of the night. He had ridiculous noise coming from that piece, it was an S&S 124ci with about 1 foot of header pipe off the motor, that was it, like I said, it was a ridiculous example but a 60 year old should have had more sense than he exhibited on a daily basis on and off the bike. So it had much to do with the person and HIS choice of bike.

It really doesn't bother me much during ROT Rally, after all it is just one weekend. To me it just reflects poorly on others who ride to non-riders who don't like it and it could lead to some draconian laws and enforcement. I just wish some of those with them could see how ridiculous they are when espousing loud pipes while griping about fart cans or boom cars, and I have heard more than a few who gripe about others noise. As the old saying goes, one man's noise is another man's music....and it seems everyone is a critic.