View Full Version : Extending the Bricktown canal

Patrick
01-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Okay, there has been much talk about extending the Bricktown canal. Obviously, plans are in the works to extend the south canal closer to Zone G (which dumps into the river)....they couldn't connect though due to elevational differences. Also, there are plans to loop the canal from south of Reno, around in front of the UHaul Building, under Reno, and back to the starting point.

What are your ideas for canal extensions?
I've mentioned this before, but personally, I'd like to see an extension go under EK Gaylord, then flow in between the Ford Center and Cox Center (where Reno current is), then flow a ways north and west, directly into the ponds at the Myriad Gardens! I think it would be pretty cool seeing water taxis flow under the Crystal Bridge. Also, later it could be extended over through the Arts District.

Any other ideas?

Midtowner
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Water taxis would be an interesting alternative to light rail.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
That would be good for downtown travel...I think the light rail should be more used for travel between Edmond and Norman...

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd personally like to see the water taxis have a real use instead of just hauling around tourists. Afterall, it is supposed to be a water "taxi" service. In Ft. Lauderdale, where Water Taxi originated, the water taxis are actually used as a commuter taxi service running along the intracoastal water way and the river. There are many stops along the way. I think that was the plan here, but our canal really isn't long enough right now for that use.
If it is extended in the near future, maybe a water taxi service will become more realistic. In the meantime, the Oklahoma River might be our best bet for a water "taxi" operation. Water Taxi will most likely be the company operating boats on the river.

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Go to this link to see an interactive map showing pics of all of the stops on the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi operation.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLMap.Asp

metro
01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I dont think that would be practical and financially feasible. Ft. Lauderdale has a larger population density and tourism base. Also the weather is better almost year round. I dont think it would be feasible with our ever changing weather (severe weather). Plus it wouldnt be very fast. We can dream though. Light rail is needed to bring the masses from the burbs

Luke
01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
When I spoke with Chad Huntington, manager of Water Taxi of Oklahoma, he had a rendering of a map that extended the canal westward splitting off the north side of the Harkins Theater. The canal followed down Reno. Chad told me that it would be great to connect it to the Myriad Gardens but the elevation was different.

I think it would be great if the canal extended into downtown. I think it would be very functional as well as touristy.

Patrick
01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah Luke...that section Chad showed you is termed the "stub". The "stub" has city financing and will be built soon! It will open up possible extension of the canal to the west in later years. Norm told me a few years back that the plan was to extend the stub around, under Reno, to connect back to the canal's starting point. Then bring a section under the railroad tracks, under EK Gaylord, and in between the Ford Center and Cox Center. Of course only the "stub" is actually financed, as is an extension fo the south canal to reach Zone G (of course the two sections won't be joined due to elevational differences).

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 10:22 PM
When I spoke with Chad Huntington, manager of Water Taxi of Oklahoma, he had a rendering of a map that extended the canal westward splitting off the north side of the Harkins Theater. The canal followed down Reno. Chad told me that it would be great to connect it to the Myriad Gardens but the elevation was different.

I think it would be great if the canal extended into downtown. I think it would be very functional as well as touristy.

Could be done with a system of locks.

I remember taking a boat tour in Strausborg (France, in the Alsace Lorraines area) where they used a system of locks because of elevation differences along the river.

I'll bet those locks had existed for MANY years though.

mranderson
01-07-2005, 06:02 AM
I am not sure how to do it, however, I would like to see the canal system citywide. Make it a site seeing route. Maybe even a mass transit system. THAT would be different.

metro
01-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I dont think it would be feasible with our ever changing weather (severe weather). Plus it wouldnt be very fast. We can dream though. Light rail is needed to bring the masses from the burbs

mranderson
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I dont think it would be feasible with our ever changing weather (severe weather). Plus it wouldnt be very fast. We can dream though. Light rail is needed to bring the masses from the burbs

I would prefer light rail, and yes. You are correct. The weather may play a small role and it would be slow, however, it would make a neat toruist attraction... But would cost a great deal of money.

metro
01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
thus my original statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think that would be practical and financially feasible.

Midtowner
01-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Light rail -- also some destinations worth visiting! In all of the busy downtowns that I have visited, there has been one common thing -- good shopping! We do not offer such a thing in our downtown area.

Travelling to many major cities, strolling around their downtown area, there are many buildings that you'll enter that will look like regular buildings from the outside, but actually be malls on the inside.

We need a lot more of that in my opinion. We need more reasons to bring those people from the suburbs to the downtown area. Until that happens, light rail is putting the cart before the horse.

Luke
01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Midtowner, I agree with your assessment of retail downtown. We need mall-style retailers to fill up the first floor of the buildings downtown. Perhaps the OKC TownCentre will aid in this. But even so, that is north of downtown.

Patrick
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I think more retail downtown is one of the goals of our city leaders. Could you picture larger stores like Dillards, Stein Mart, Old Navy, Famous Footwear, etc. in addition to more unique local stores having downtown locations? Instead of going to Dillards and asking them to call the Crossroads or Quail Springs location, we could ask them to call the downtown location.

I know....most of you guys would probably prefer a Saks or Macy's over Dillards, but I was trying to be realistic, at least for now.

metro
01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
yeah, instead of having two stores at Penn, they should move one of them to downtown

floater
01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I think commuter water taxis along the river is more feasible than an intra-downtown line. The distance is too short and you do have the Oklahoma Spirit trolleys.

Patrick
01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
The boats on the Oklahoma River will also be much larger, and thus, much faster!

I will admit...the Penn Dillards does have an awesome selection.....having an entire store (at least the 1st floor) dedicated for Men's apparel is pretty unique for a department store.

Still, I would've rather have seen an upscale dept. store move into the old Wards space. Maybe someday.

Midtowner
01-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I think more retail downtown is one of the goals of our city leaders. Could you picture larger stores like Dillards, Stein Mart, Old Navy, Famous Footwear, etc. in addition to more unique local stores having downtown locations? Instead of going to Dillards and asking them to call the Crossroads or Quail Springs location, we could ask them to call the downtown location.

I know....most of you guys would probably prefer a Saks or Macy's over Dillards, but I was trying to be realistic, at least for now.

I think that the downtown area is really feeling the effects of not moving forward with the Galleria mall idea years ago.

As far as the Saks/Macy's vs. Dillards question, here's what I'd ask -- what can we make downtown offer that nowhere else offers? A Saks/Macy's/Nordstrum's would be the answer. As long as they could have free parking somewhere, I think people would line up for a place like that.

metro
01-07-2005, 02:23 PM
you should try and make it happen, i'll back you up

Patrick
01-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Although the back half of the Galleria will soon be used as a high rise parking garage, the front portion is still available for development. Since it's street side, I don't see why some sort of shopping district couldn't be built there. Maybe a row of shops, with an anchor like Macy's or Saks, surrounded by smaller upscale stores like Gucci, Guess, Talbots, Polo, etc. The shopping complex could use a ticket validation system for parking in the Galleria Garage.

Luke
01-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Great idea, Patrick! We should get a Galleria renaissance going. Let's bring retail back to downtown. And hey, that's what we could call the shopping center, "Galleria Renaissance."

Think about it, it's right across from the beautiful Myriad Gardens, next to the soon-to-be-changing Colcord Building, near the Montgomery and coming soon Legacy Summit, in the middle of it all, with an attached parking garage. Sounds like a hole in one, home run, ace to me.

metro
01-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Or better yet, the Renaissance Galleria, its easier on the tongue. Anyhow I like the idea and would be willing to help plan a proposal. Luke, can you give me more info on the "soon to be changing Colcord" , I've heard rumors about it becoming a hotel but nothing more?

Luke
01-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Sure, metro:

http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=4772&catid=10&volid=8&issid=67&PgStartNum=0

I guess I should have said "hopefully-soon-to-be-changing".

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I dont think that would be practical and financially feasible. Light rail is needed to bring the masses from the burbs

I have one word (acronym) MAPs. I think some other sort of commuter rail would be a better idea.

We need mall-style retailers to fill up the first floor of the buildings downtown. Perhaps the OKC TownCentre will aid in this.

I have not heard of this. Tell me, please, about it.

I know....most of you guys would probably prefer a Saks or Macy's over Dillards,

Seems fitting for one of the South's top ranked d'towns, we should be having no problem with getting these. But we are.

yeah, instead of having two stores at Penn, they should move one of them to downtown

This would devastate 50 Penn Place by opening up more space in Penn Square.

I think that the downtown area is really feeling the effects of not moving forward with the Galleria mall idea years ago.

Again, is this crazy talk like when chicken little told henney penney the sky was falling, or are you serious?

Thanks,
Nick.

mranderson
01-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I have one word (acronym) MAPs. I think some other sort of commuter rail would be a better idea.

I have not heard of this. Tell me, please, about it.

Seems fitting for one of the South's top ranked d'towns, we should be having no problem with getting these. But we are.

This would devastate 50 Penn Place by opening up more space in Penn Square.

Again, is this crazy talk like when chicken little told henney penney the sky was falling, or are you serious?

Thanks,
Nick.In order of your replies.
1. The canal around the city is a dream. Without dreams, one will be in a rubber room at the laughing academy. Plus, we need light rail AND commuter rail.

2. Many major cities have retailers on the first floor of buildings. In fact, the Dell campus will be one of those. The stores will be for employee use only, however, the thought is the same.

3. Why would you rank the south? Oklahoma is not in the south. We are midwest.

4. 50 Penn Place ranked number one? (an earlier post) You have GOT to be kidding. It is dying and does not even have contemporary decor.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 09:10 PM
50 Penn Place ranked number one?

My opinion.

Why would you rank the south?

My almanac says Southern, so do several other forums I am on.

P.S. I too am glad you all are welcoming me!