View Full Version : Unconfirmed: Williams is bought out by Homeland

Pages : [1] 2

Joe Kimball
11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I can't find it in the news, but I understand Homeland bought out Williams' seven stores, which were in turn bought from Albertson's a little over a year ago as Albertson's fled the state. They apparently will be no more next month.

What was it? The quick expansion? The high prices? The decision to not sell beer?

bombermwc
11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Does that mean they are going to close them all or just convert? I would LOVE to see something other than William's in those locations. I went in Williams in MWC after the changeover and never went back. It felt like they took the place down a notch in cleanliness and quality of employee. That Albertson's had been one of the best in the metro, if not smaller than most. But it turned into a pile.

I would love to see them open the one back up on Reno and Midwest as well, but I bet it doesnt happen. In MWC, price is king. With Crest a mile in either direction from either store, you have to be able to compete because people won't pay the higher price for the same product.

Steve
11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
All the stores except the one at 15th and Post are going to become Homelands.

Joe Kimball
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
All the stores except the one at 15th and Post are going to become Homelands.

I appreciate the confirmation. Do you know if the remaining store will remain in Williams' possession, close, or become something else?

Steve
11-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Jeff Williams says they're keeping it and will continue operating it as a Williams Discount Foods. It apparently didn't fit into Homeland's expansion plans.

CuatrodeMayo
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
They should convert to Food Pyramid. The one in Stillwater is top notch.

Jon27
11-14-2008, 08:13 PM
What about the one on Cornwell and 10th St in Yukon? Anyone know?

dalelakin
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
OKC has to have one of the worst selections of grocery stores of any metro area in the US. No point to my post other than a pure complaint...

Jon27
11-14-2008, 10:28 PM
What about the one on Cornwell and 10th St in Yukon? Anyone know?

Nevermind. This post is now semi-confirmed. William's wasn't bought out by Homeland, but sold 5 of the stores as they would rather concentrate on rural areas. The Yukon store will become a Homeland. This sucks! I really liked Williams owning the old Albertson's. Williams had really good weekly sales. Homeland is WAY too expensive. Guess it's stick to Wal-Mart again..... Yukon needs a Crest!

Here's the Newsok.com story.

http://newsok.com/homeland-to-acquire-stores-in-oklahoma-city-area/article/3322295

masonsmomma
11-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I wish they would change the Williams in MWC as well. I try to avoid it at all costs. They are so expensive and their employees are rude. The only part about the MWC one that is nice is the gas station. My husband used to work for Homeland and they are a really good company with great sales.

oneforone
11-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Homeland knows better than to enter the MWC market. Crest owns the MWC grocery market.

I do not see Homeland doing well at 122nd and Rockwell because Crest will make it a point to beat the crap out of their prices. The only way the 122nd Street store will make it, is if Homeland sells specialty products and the high end stuff the people in Gallardia love.

I do have one question to shoot at the board. Does OKC have a gourmet specialty market anymore. I am suprised OKC does not have one specialty grocery store that sells the amature/hobby chef items that you see on the shows on Food Network.

ejillparker
11-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I got really excited when I saw that Homeland had bought out Williams because the Williams here in Choctaw sucks. My excitement quickly changed to disappointment as it seems the Williams here will be staying put. I would love for Choctaw to have a decent grocery store. As it is, I drive 20 minutes or more just to avoid Williams. They pride themselves on their Christian heritage by not selling beer, yet they dont hesitate to rip you off. In the two and a half years I have lived in Choctaw, I have been double charged by them twice and even triple charged once. They also sell expired food. One time I found about ten packages of expired (three months expired) refrigerated sauce on the shelf and I took them all to the managers booth to show them. They apologized, but the next week I went back and all the items were re-shelved. I have found numerous other expired items shelved as well. The meat and produce are of very poor quality and the store always looks filthy. You couldn't pay me to buy meat from there. Not to mention they are overpriced. I have complained many times but have recieved no response from management.

soonergooner
11-16-2008, 03:08 AM
"I do not see Homeland doing well at 122nd and Rockwell because Crest will make it a point to beat the crap out of their prices. The only way the 122nd Street store will make it, is if Homeland sells specialty products and the high end stuff the people in Gallardia love."

The employees at that location have already been informed that that will be the strategy. It is very difficult to compete w/crest on price, just ask wallyworld execs. The homeland folks are VERY aware of this and are doing their best to carve their niche w/ shoppers who dislike either molwart or crust.
Having worked for all the above plus many yrs w/alb, I will attest that if you enjoy shopping at crest, you don't mind buying chinese tennis shoes. I found stories of emp abuse re malwart quite overblown, but truly, @ crest, words cannot fairly relay their employees abuse. Check w/ nat labor relations board who I checked w/ after my tenure. Me= I am a former crest employee, NLRB rep= "I'm sorry!" Exact. Quotes.

Thunder
11-16-2008, 04:30 PM
All I know is that the owner of Brannons in Del City bought the building across the street from Albertsons and changed from Brannons to Williams. I remember the exact timing of the move. I was surprised to see several more Williams popping up during that time and thought it will be well managed since Brannons stayed in business for years, I guess more than 20 or 30 years, maybe more. I think this Williams store in Del City will still be there as Williams. I don't think it'll convert to Homeland, since there is one 2 or 3 miles down on Sunnylane and 44th.

rondvu
11-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Oneforone I believe there is a gourmet store in Norman and on located on N. Western in OKC.

bombermwc
11-17-2008, 07:40 AM
BOOOO on the MWC one. We're stuck with crap!!!!

metro
11-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Oneforone I believe there is a gourmet store in Norman and on located on N. Western in OKC.

There are quite a few actually. Forward Foods http://www.forwardfoods.com/ is a great one in Norman, there is also Gourmet Gallery in Edmond http://www.thegourmetgallery.com/, and a few other places I can't think of the name, theres one or two places on N. May and another in Northpark Mall. There is a thread on local gourmet markets somewhere on this site.

jbrown84
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
There are quite a few actually. Forward Foods Forward Foods (http://www.forwardfoods.com/) is a great one in Norman, there is also Gourmet Gallery in Edmond The Gourmet Gallery (http://www.thegourmetgallery.com/), and a few other places I can't think of the name, theres one or two places on N. May and another in Northpark Mall. There is a thread on local gourmet markets somewhere on this site.

Crescent Market in Nichols Hills Plaza...

I wish one of the local companies, Homeland or Crest, would attempt a more upscale concept like a Central Market or even a regular H-E-B. Put one in Edmond and one over by Gaillardia and watch it boom.

southernskye
11-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Crescent Market in Nichols Hills Plaza...

I wish one of the local companies, Homeland or Crest, would attempt a more upscale concept like a Central Market or even a regular H-E-B. Put one in Edmond and one over by Gaillardia and watch it boom.

I would love to have an HEB here.
I have emailed HEB on more than one occasion asking if they might expand into Oklahoma. As of 2 months ago they have no plans to do so.

OKCMallen
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I just emailed HEB last week asking as well.

southernskye
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I just emailed HEB last week asking as well.

I think it would help if more people do that. I just don't see them expanding into OKC until the outdated OK liquor laws are changed.

metro
11-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Company plans to buy five Oklahoma City grocery stores
OKCBusiness Staff
11/17/2008

The company that owns Homeland Stores in the Oklahoma City area announced late Nov. 14 it plans to purchase five Williams Discount Foods locations, according to Associated Press reports.
In June 2007, Albertson’s LLC announced the company planned to exit the entire Oklahoma market. Two local Associated Wholesale Grocers members – Homeland Inc. and Williams Discount Foods -- announced they agreed to purchase the 13 Oklahoma City area Albertson’s grocery stores.

Williams Discount Foods, which started in Tuttle and now is headquartered in Oklahoma City, purchased six supermarkets in June 2007 at:

• 7000 S. May, Oklahoma City

• 7001 N.W. 122nd St., Oklahoma City

• 2400 Cornwell, Yukon

• 1151 N. Bryant, Edmond

• 4129 S.E. 29th St., Del City

• 7520 E. Reno, Midwest City

The Midwest City location was not included as one of the stores HAC Inc. plans to buy.

amaesquire
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Wonder why they didn't just do this when they bought the other Albertson's properties...

Jesseda
11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
wish we could get a fiesta in here, or randells, safeway, i miss albertsons. Why dont we have a costco?

southernskye
11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
wish we could get a fiesta in here, or randells, safeway, i miss albertsons. Why dont we have a costco?

Email or write to the companies that you would like to see in OKC. They need to know that people here are interested in buying from them.

Lauri101
11-18-2008, 03:36 PM
All I know is that the owner of Brannons in Del City bought the building across the street from Albertsons and changed from Brannons to Williams. I remember the exact timing of the move. I was surprised to see several more Williams popping up during that time and thought it will be well managed since Brannons stayed in business for years, I guess more than 20 or 30 years, maybe more. I think this Williams store in Del City will still be there as Williams. I don't think it'll convert to Homeland, since there is one 2 or 3 miles down on Sunnylane and 44th.

According to the employees at the Williams in Del City, Homeland bought them also. Plus, to add insult to injury - the employees there have to re-apply and interview for their own jobs - for the 2nd time!

I like the Del City Williams - I can get around it quickly and the employees are helpful and friendly. They have good prices on a lot of stuff - you just have to compare prices.

bombermwc
11-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Jesseda, I believe Costco isn't here beacuse of Sam's. Correct me if I'm wron folks.

Soonerman
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I think Costco not being there may have something to do with the pathetic liqour laws in Oklahoma because DFW metroplex has both Sams and Costco. Look at Southlake They got a Costco and Theres a Sams right down the road in Grapevine.

southernskye
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Austin has 3 Sam's and 2 Costco's. It's the liquor laws.

CuatrodeMayo
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I doubt it.

jbrown84
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Oklahoma is just overlooked in general, especially by companies based on the coasts.

oneforone
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I blame it on the Red State mentality falsehoods.

southernskye
11-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Currently we do not have any public information regarding plans to open a Costco in your area.
Our real estate department is continually looking for ideas for new locations around the country and around the world.
We will forward your suggestion to our Real Estate Department so they are aware of your interest.

Costco (http://www.costco.com/)

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Maybe people need to start writing to legislators about getting some of these weird alcohol laws repealed or replaced then, since they seem to be repellant to commerce. In a time of economic downturn, it seems our legislators should be interested in considering things that will attract new business to our state. No?

Where's Mayor Mick when you need him? He needs to be the ringleader of this movement. Does anyone have his ear? Go pull on it and get his attention.

(Somehow, I doubt Costco is afraid of Uncle Sam Walton! However, I do notice Arkansas has no Costco stores either. Our proximity to Bentonville is an interesting theory...)

progressiveboy
11-20-2008, 03:13 PM
You would think that with the lack of quality grocery stores that someone like Tom Thumb, Central Market, WF would jump at the chance of entering into a new, untapped market. But, again maybe they feel there is not enough demand for a upscale market concept. For many years now, OKC has lacked a really good, clean, quality grocery store and I would think if the residents of OKC wanted and demanded it then it would have happened? Maybe these smaller markets that are opening up in Uptown and Downtown will help fill a small niche in the market. Most of all, if you want quality, then you have to pay for quality or go shop at Buy for Less.

Firefly831
11-30-2008, 11:33 PM
So now I'm confused. Is it confirmed that the Williams on S. May was bought by Homeland?
If so that makes no sense as there is a Homeland not more then 5 minutes up the street on may and 44th which isn't exactly having customers busting down the door...

jbrown84
12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
They will probably keep which ever one is nicer and close the other.

Joe Kimball
12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
So now I'm confused. Is it confirmed that the Williams on S. May was bought by Homeland?
If so that makes no sense as there is a Homeland not more then 5 minutes up the street on may and 44th which isn't exactly having customers busting down the door...

There will be a similar situation with the Homeland nee Williams nee Albertson's on Britton and May and the current Homeland on 122nd and May two miles north.

jbrown84
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I think we know which one would be kept in that situation!

Bobby821
12-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The one at I-240 and May will probabbly be kept.

bluedogok
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
You would think that with the lack of quality grocery stores that someone like Tom Thumb, Central Market, WF would jump at the chance of entering into a new, untapped market. But, again maybe they feel there is not enough demand for a upscale market concept. For many years now, OKC has lacked a really good, clean, quality grocery store and I would think if the residents of OKC wanted and demanded it then it would have happened? Maybe these smaller markets that are opening up in Uptown and Downtown will help fill a small niche in the market. Most of all, if you want quality, then you have to pay for quality or go shop at Buy for Less.
Tom Thumb (DFW area) and Randall's (originally Houston based but that is what most of the stores in Texas are named including Austin) are owned by Safeway. I do not know if there is any kind of non-compete clause or mentality in regards to Oklahoma with Safeway. Since Homeland was formed from the Safeway stores in Oklahoma by the management of the OK Safeway stores at the time of the junk bond problems that Safeway had in the early 80's, they shed a bunch of markets during that period. I shopped at Tom Thumb when I lived in Dallas, before Randall's bought them and before Safeway bought Randall's. I especially liked their Simon David specialty store at Abrams & Skillman since it was fairly close to my apartment. I stopped in there years later and it was just a normal Tom Thumb/Randall's/Safeway store by then.

Central Market is an HEB store, they also have an HEB Plus concept that is similar to a Wal-Mart/Target Supercenter with grocery and general merchandise, there is one in Round Rock and Kyle, there are several in their home market of San Antonio and maybe some in Houston or DFW. I still haven't figured out why they haven't ventured into the Oklahoma market, I guess they are concentrating on the DFW expansion and they are known as a fairly conservative and still family owned company. They did buy a few of the Albertson's locations down here that closed but not that many and mostly in areas where they were lacking coverage. Most of the Albertson's are still "dark", Fiesta opened up a new location in the on at I-35 & Stassney that closed. We are down to pretty much down to only HEB and Randall's here in Austin, Fiesta has two locations and we do have some Wal-Mart and Target Supercenters.

We do have a new, health market opening up down here in South Austin, I can't remember the name of it right now but I think they are out of California and it will be their first location here. We also do not have anything like Aldi down here. the one that surprises me that hasn't expanded more is Kroger, I know that is where my sister shopped in Little Rock and I occasionally went there in Dallas but they didn't have many locations back then. I know my friends in Denver tend to shop at King Soupers up there which is a Kroger owned chain.

My sister wishes that Kroger would move into the OKC market, my dad wishes that HEB would after the time that he has spent down here. Right now the Crest at 23rd & Meridian is where they shop the most. I would go to Buy for Less at NW Expressway & Portland when I lived in the Mayfair area.

windowphobe
12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Williams never did put their name on the old Albertson's at Britton and May; it's been a Homeland all along.

Superhyper
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
We need a Reasors. I don't know if any of you have spent much time in the Tulsa metro, but if you have you may have been to one. There stores are always clean and their employees nice. I even worked there as a teenager and still like the place, and that's about as much of a ringing endorsement as I can think of to give.

Joe Kimball
12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Williams never did put their name on the old Albertson's at Britton and May; it's been a Homeland all along.

Oh you're right; my mistake.

How have they been coexisting, does anyone know?

Jon27
12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Williams in Yukon (10th and Cornwell) is now a Homeland.

Lauri101
12-05-2008, 02:32 AM
The Del City Williams will close on December 8th and re-open December 9 as Homeland. Some of the employees have been retained, but soem are still waiting to find out.

That store is convenient to me as it's on my way home from work. I hope the prices aren't too out of line - I really hate going to Walmart during this time of year!

oneforone
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I wonder if Homeland has any intention of keeping the gas stations at the stores that were once under Albertson's name.

They have only put the Homeland logos on the gas pumps. They have not put their name on the awnings or the buildings of the express stores. It makes me wonder if Homeland will eventually sell the gas stations to some third world gas station owner. If they do sell them, I hope they will at least sell them to 7-11, or Circle K.

jbrown84
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh you're right; my mistake.

How have they been coexisting, does anyone know?

2 miles apart in a heavily populated upper middle class part of the city.

SouthsideSooner
12-05-2008, 09:36 PM
A higher up with Homeland told me that they plan on keeping both the S.W.44 & May and the I-240 & May stores open. He said the rent on the store on 44th was so low that that store would never close.

Thunder
12-10-2008, 09:52 AM
The Del City Williams will close on December 8th and re-open December 9 as Homeland. Some of the employees have been retained, but soem are still waiting to find out.

That store is convenient to me as it's on my way home from work. I hope the prices aren't too out of line - I really hate going to Walmart during this time of year!

I've been driving by several times a day since the 1st and I had never noticed the change and closure. I've recently moved to Sunnyview apt and there is a Homeland right up the street on corner of 44th and Sunnylane. I will never shop there, since all Homeland stores love to overcharge everything. Will this one store close? Ex-Albertson's and Ex-Williams is right up the street one mile away on the corner of 29th and Sunnylane. I noticed all the Williams signs was gone when I went to turn off the Christmas lights at the apt. It looks like Homeland wants to move into this location. I can bet they won't last long. lmao

ultimatesooner
12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I wonder if Homeland has any intention of keeping the gas stations at the stores that were once under Albertson's name.

They have only put the Homeland logos on the gas pumps. They have not put their name on the awnings or the buildings of the express stores. It makes me wonder if Homeland will eventually sell the gas stations to some third world gas station owner. If they do sell them, I hope they will at least sell them to 7-11, or Circle K.

we need QuickTrip

Joe Kimball
12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
we need QuickTrip

Alas, that probably will not happen. There is a well-known "gentleman's agreement" between the owner of QT and the owner of OKC's 7-Eleven's (whose stores are unique in comparison to those found across the nation) to not operate in each other's markets.

progressiveboy
12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
we need QuickTrip I talked to a store manager at a Quik Trip in the Dallas Fort Worth area and asked him if there were any plans to open stores in OKC and also told him why would they put stores in Wichita, Omaha but not in OKC. He "stated" that they only put stores where they feel they would be successful and the higher ups don't feel like OKC fits their demographics? I have also heard in the past, that their is a gentlemens agreement between the owner of 7 Elevens in OKC which my understanding are franchised?? and the owners of QT do not wish to be in competition with one another. That could explain why their are no 7 Elevens in Tulsa. QT stores are so much cleaner and offer better selection. I do not know why they would not be successful in the OKC metro area?

CuatrodeMayo
12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
OnCue could compete with QT.

Generals64
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Alas, that probably will not happen. There is a well-known "gentleman's agreement" between the owner of QT and the owner of OKC's 7-Eleven's (whose stores are unique in comparison to those found across the nation) to not operate in each other's markets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mistake, I thought there were some 7-11 stores in Tulsa....Mr. Brown (owner of Okla 7-11) is a very tough and competitive person. Wouldn't want to go head to head with him and his team.

bluedogok
12-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I have also heard in the past, that their is a gentlemens agreement between the owner of 7 Elevens in OKC which my understanding are franchised?? and the owners of QT do not wish to be in competition with one another. That could explain why their are no 7 Elevens in Tulsa. QT stores are so much cleaner and offer better selection. I do not know why they would not be successful in the OKC metro area?
I don't think the OKC 7-11's are franchised but they are "licensed" to use the name. They are completely different than the Southland (parent company out of Dallas) 7-11's, even down to the frozen drink name Icy vs. Slurpee.

I am pretty sure there have been 7-11's in Tulsa in the past, I remember them being around in the late 80's but they were Southland 7-11's. Southland also owned Citgo at one point in time.

progressiveboy
12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mistake, I thought there were some 7-11 stores in Tulsa....Mr. Brown (owner of Okla 7-11) is a very tough and competitive person. Wouldn't want to go head to head with him and his team. I think it would be great if they did! Since we live in a free enterprise society then competition is good for the market place. But personally speaking, I think their is no competition between 7-Eleven and Q-Trip. It just seems strange that it operates in secondary markets such as Des Moines, Wichita, Omaha which are much smaller markets but yet the manager at QT stated that they feel like it would not be successful in OKC? Go figure??

Generals64
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't think the OKC 7-11's are franchised but they are "licensed" to use the name. They are completely different than the Southland (parent company out of Dallas) 7-11's, even down to the frozen drink name Icy vs. Slurpee.

I am pretty sure there have been 7-11's in Tulsa in the past, I remember them being around in the late 80's but they were Southland 7-11's. Southland also owned Citgo at one point in time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't tell mr. brown he doesn't own the 7-11 franchise. Their headquarters office is located at 21st and s. mcArthur...Great guy.....Tough to deal with as is his buyers.....good business man though..

bluedogok
12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think it is a "traditional franchise" type of agreement, I was told it was pretty much a licensing agreement many, many years ago when he opened up the first one at 23rd & Portland (there is plaque on the west exterior wall at that location). He licensed use of the name but is not tied to the Southland Corporation for anything, if I heard the story right he doesn't even pay a yearly licensing fee and could change the name to what ever he cared to without interference from Southland. In a franchise typically his stores would be as Dallas dictates them and that is not the case, he very much sets his own policy in EVERYTHING in regards to his stores. That would be very unusual in a franchise agreement.

This was more common years ago as different companies in different regions might have the same name and as they expanded into new markets. Much like when the Southland Corp. auto parts stores moved into the OKC market, Chief was the name they used but there was already a Chief Auto Parts on South Walker (I believe it was Walker). They tried to buy the name but he wouldn't sell, so when they opened in OKC it was under the Endurance name.

Generals64
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think it is a "traditional franchise" type of agreement, I was told it was pretty much a licensing agreement many, many years ago when he opened up the first one at 23rd & Portland (there is plaque on the west exterior wall at that location). He licensed use of the name but is not tied to the Southland Corporation for anything, if I heard the story right he doesn't even pay a yearly licensing fee and could change the name to what ever he cared to without interference from Southland. In a franchise typically his stores would be as Dallas dictates them and that is not the case, he very much sets his own policy in EVERYTHING in regards to his stores. That would be very unusual in a franchise agreement.

This was more common years ago as different companies in different regions might have the same name and as they expanded into new markets. Much like when the Southland Corp. auto parts stores moved into the OKC market, Chief was the name they used but there was already a Chief Auto Parts on South Walker (I believe it was Walker). They tried to buy the name but he wouldn't sell, so when they opened in OKC it was under the Endurance name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
you're probably right about the franchise agreement however, if it a 7-11 in this area, he owns it....If he or his buyers get behind an item to sell in their stores, they do everything possible to make it work. They don't give up very easy on any items but then, when their done, their done.....I have always admired their tenacity and work ethics.
a lot of sales reps think they are too hard to get along with....Not me, they always let you know where you stand....They are very successful also.