View Full Version : Downtown in December 2008

metro
11-12-2008, 11:31 AM
http://tyr.icebase.net/users/downtownokc/WhatsUp_Nov%2412%242008_Article_Image_1.jpg

Mark your Calendar for Downtown in December!

SandRidge Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
Bricktown, 2 South Mickey Mantle Dr.
Mayor Mick Cornett & Santa light the Christmas Tree
November 28, 5:30 p.m.

Devon Ice Rink
201 N. Walker
November 28-January 4
Noon – 10 p.m. daily - $8 including skates
Christmas Eve until 5 p.m.,
Christmas Day until 10 p.m. and New Year's Eve until 11 p.m
For group information call (405) 274-1638

Chesapeake Snow Tubing at the Brick
AT&T Bricktown Ballpark
November 28 – December 21
Open Friday, Saturday & Sunday, hours vary
December 22 - January 4 Open 7 days-a-week, hours vary
Session size is limited, First-come, first-served.
$10 per 1 1/2 hour session
For group information call (405) 218-1000
For session times and to buy tickets on-line visit
downtownindecember.com

The Oklahoman Holidays on the Canal
Bricktown Canal
November 28 – December 28 (closed Christmas)
F*R*E*E Canal Rides 6 – 9:30 p.m. Thursday – Sunday

SandRidge Santa Run
9 a.m. at Leadership Square, 211 N. Robinson
Saturday, December 6
5K, One Mile Fun Run & F*R*E*E Kid's Dash

American Fidelity F*r*e*e Museum Sundays
November 30 – December 28
F*R*E*E 1 – 6 p.m. every Sunday
Visit the Gaylord-Pickens
Oklahoma Heritage Museum at 1400 Classen Drive
(corner of NW 13th Street and Shartel Avenue) and the

Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum at 620 N Harvey Ave

OG&E Garden Lights
Myriad Botanical Gardens
F*R*E*E Crystal Bridge admission
6 – 9 p.m. Sundays, November 30 – December 28

Sonic Segway Santa
Look for Santa as he visits Downtown events on his
Segway and delivers fun goodies for kids and adults

The Devon Energy River Parade
Nov. 28, Wiley Post Park and
the Regatta Park
6:00 p.m. The Parade of Boats
followed by spectacular fireworks show

metro
11-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Notice how Braum's pulled their sponsorship of the ice rink this year.

Bobby821
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, wonder why??

ksearls
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Notice how Devon jumped on the opportunity to sponsor one of the city's most prestigious events?

southernskye
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
OG&E Garden Lights
Myriad Botanical Gardens
F*R*E*E Crystal Bridge admission
6 – 9 p.m. Sundays, November 30 – December 28

I really enjoy the Botanical Gardens, so this is good to know.

Luke
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I always liked that ice rink.

ksearls
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
You will really like it this year! We are doing a massive lighting program around and on the rink that will make it a winter wonderland at night! It should be really beautiful.

Nothing sinister regarding Braum's decision; they had been a great partner and were very happy with their sponsorship; after 6 years they decided to make a change. We never could have done it without their generous support.

fuzzytoad
11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Umm, ok , so Mayor Cornett will be lighting the Christmas tree on the 28th. What days will he be lighting the Menorah and the Kinaras?

Luke
11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
...and the festivus pole.

metro
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Notice how Devon jumped on the opportunity to sponsor one of the city's most prestigious events?

Hehe, good rebuttal. I agree Kim, it is one of the city's best events. I know and am glad Devon agrees, it's too bad Braums doesn't have a forward vision for the city or their own company for that matter.

Keep up the good work on DiD.

Anything new this year? I didn't notice anything off the top of my head from the flyer.

LordGerald
11-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Hehe, good rebuttal. I agree Kim, it is one of the city's best events. I know and am glad Devon agrees, it's too bad Braums doesn't have a forward vision for the city or their own company for that matter.

Keep up the good work on DiD.

Anything new this year? I didn't notice anything off the top of my head from the flyer.

It is my understanding that Braum's wanted the ice surface to be made from ice cream. Devon Energy made no such provision.

bishop186
11-13-2008, 06:43 AM
It is my understanding that Braum's wanted the ice surface to be made from ice cream. Devon Energy made no such provision.
Their reasoning was that it would be both fun and delicious, and I am inclined to agree.

westsidesooner
11-13-2008, 08:37 AM
A large group of my friends and I are going to the TSO concert on Nov 30th. Now are plan is to (possibly) visit the museum (anyone know if its worth the trip---Ive never been), then check out the ice rink, then go to the Myriad gardens to check out the lights and the botanical tube before the concert. We had assumed that the OKC museum of art would be open too but haven't heard anything about that...though it would be nice. Im surprised that the Myriad garden lights aren't statred earlier (throughout the Thanksgiving weekend). Now if I can just find some bedlam tickets for Saturday the 29th weekend will be complete.

edit: I just checked out the TSO site and discovered this link http://www.symphonyinlights.com/index.cfmto displays they are doing in Chicago, Denver, and Florida....it would be great if OKC did this too.

ksearls
11-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Westside!

Actually the lights in the Gardens are up even before Thanksgiving so you can see those anytime through Jan. 4. The Crystal Bridge is open for free every Sunday evening 6 - 9 from Thanksgiving weekend through December 28

The Oklahoma Museum of Art is not included this year's free Sundays, but the Gaylord Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum and the Oklahoma Memorial Museum are from Sunday's 1 - 6 Thanksgiving weekend through December 28

Also, the Bricktown Canal Water Taxi rides are free Thursday - Sunday, 6 - 9:30 from the day after Thanksgiving through the end of December (closed Christmas).

So, a Sunday that would normally cost each adult $30.50 is FREE!!!!! What a deal. Don't you love Downtown in December!

Kim

westsidesooner
11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
What a deal. Don't you love Downtown in December!

Kim

YES I DO!!!

Thanks for the info Kim. After a long brutal election season I can't wait to get in the Christmas spirit. If you get a chance and if its your "thing" check out the concert. We've gone every year and really love it.

CuatrodeMayo
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm pretty excited about this. This will be the first year I actually live close enough to go.

jbrown84
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Now are plan is to (possibly) visit the museum (anyone know if its worth the trip---Ive never been),

Are you referring to the Museum of Art? I'd say it's definitely worth the price of admission if you haven't been before.

taylor83
11-15-2008, 09:22 AM
I've never been to the ice rink before and now that I live downtown, I'm pretty excited about it. I walked by this morning (froze my butt off!) and took a couple of pics.

westsidesooner
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Are you referring to the Museum of Art? I'd say it's definitely worth the price of admission if you haven't been before.

I was referring to the Oklahoma Heritage Museum. Sadly as long as Ive lived here I just dont have alot of free afternoons to explore all the attractions OKC has to offer. Its either work or home reapirs....right now its yardwork and leaf raking taking up my free time. On the bright side I can look at OKC as would a tourist when I DO get some free time.

I haven't: ridden the boats on the canal
seen the Okahoma trails at the ZOO
been to the museum of art
visited the Oklahoma history center
or even seen the updated underground

So I have alot to look forward to.

metro
11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
add riding the boats on the Oklahoma River to your list as well........

CuatrodeMayo
11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Is the boat ride worth while?

jbrown84
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I thought so. We rode it to Meridian Landing, ate at Golden Palace, and rode the trolley back.

ksearls
11-28-2008, 08:18 AM
SandRidge Christmas Tree Lighting Begins
Downtown Holiday Celebration Tonight

Join Santa to kick off Downtown in December! Everyone is invited to experience the excitement of the Christmas season when Mayor Cornett lights the beautifully adorned SandRidge Christmas Tree at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, November 28. The lighting of SandRidge Christmas Tree officially begins Downtown Oklahoma City's month-long holiday celebration, Downtown in December.

Tree lighting festivities are family friendly and include music, strolling entertainers, downtown mascots and scores of holiday surprises. Admission to the event is free.

Thousands of multicolored lights will adorn the majestic 32 foot-tall tree, located at the Bricktown canal overlook on Mickey Mantle, across from the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.

SandRidge Energy is proud to be a part of Downtown in December – Downtown Oklahoma City's winter celebration. Most Downtown in December activities run from the day after Thanksgiving through the New Year. Downtown in December is a gift from the Downtown OKC Business Improvement District. Log on to D in D Home (http://www.downtownindecember.com) or call the "Downtown in December" hotline, (405) 236-3640 or 1-888-OKC4Fun for a complete schedule of activities.

Urbanized
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Just to add to Kim's post of this morning, the free Holidays on the Canal boat rides, sponsored by The Oklahoman, begin promptly after the tree lighting ceremony, at 6 PM. They run 6 PM - 9:30 PM, Thursday through Sunday of each week, excluding Christmas, through the end of December.

metro
12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
http://tyr.icebase.net/users/downtownokc/WhatsUp_Blazers%24at%24Devon%24Ice%24Rink_Article_ Image_1.jpg

Blazers Practice at Downtown in December Devon Ice Rink Tomorrow!

The Oklahoma City Blazers will practice at the Downtown in December Devon Ice Rink at Civic Center Park in downtown Oklahoma City TOMORROW December 3 from Noon – 1 p.m.

For the seventh consecutive season, the Blazers are taking part in the Downtown in December events by practicing on the outdoor rink. During the practice, the Blazers team is divided into three smaller squads that compete for the mythical Fairlight Cup. The Fairlight Cup is named for head coach Doug Sauter's hometown and is awarded to the winner of the round-robin style tournament.

Lunch is available at the Ice Rink Cafe. The cafe features delicious burgers, chicken strips and other great lunch treats and snacks.

The Devon Ice Rink is set up on the lawn directly east of the Civic Center Music Hall at 201 N. Walker. The 62-foot by 150-foot rink is open daily from noon – 10 p.m., including holidays (holiday hours vary).

For more information on Downtown in December and the Ice Rink, visit downtownindecember.com

ksearls
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone that the Devon Ice Rink and Chesapeake Snow Tubing at the Brick are both open every day through January 4, even Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

Also, this is the last weekend for The Oklahoman Holidays on the Canal free water taxi rides, American Fidelity Free Museum Sundays and OGE Garden Lights free Crystal Bridge admission.

You can get all of the times and info at D in D Home (http://www.downtownindecember.com)