View Full Version : South of St Anthony

Pages : [1] 2 3

NE Oasis
11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
A great article in today's Oklahoman about this area. (by our own Steve!)
Seems to me like Dennis Wells has a real good grasp of HIS neighborhood (SoSA) and the planning commision should leave him and his neighbors alone to make a fun mix of architectural styles. Take a look at Free SoSA (http://www.freesosa.com)

betts
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Pretty funny. However, I happen to think Crown Heights is charming, and about as close to Bag End as you'll get in Oklahoma City. I like what we called the "pointy houses" when we moved here from Denver, land of not-so-charming bungaloes. My sister in law, who is an architect trained at Columbia, thinks the mixture of housing styles in Oklahoma City neighborhoods is interesting, in a good way. So, while I appreciate their plan, I think the alternate is fine too (although my pet peeve is the faux chateau which seems so popular right now in this city).

jbrown84
11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Crown Heights =/= Gaillardia

metro
11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Pretty funny. However, I happen to think Crown Heights is charming, and about as close to Bag End as you'll get in Oklahoma City. I like what we called the "pointy houses" when we moved here from Denver, land of not-so-charming bungaloes. My sister in law, who is an architect trained at Columbia, thinks the mixture of housing styles in Oklahoma City neighborhoods is interesting, in a good way. So, while I appreciate their plan, I think the alternate is fine too (although my pet peeve is the faux chateau which seems so popular right now in this city).

Why is it funny? Also SOSA is not even close to the same as Crown Heights on so many levels. SOSA is filled more with modern thinkers, engineers and architects and the downtown crowd. Crown Heights is a more trendy crowd (Western Ave. crowd) and more traditional architecture.

betts
11-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Funny in a good way, metro, which is why my next sentence began with "However". I was amused by the talk about Kincade calendars (which I dislike by the way) and primarily agreed with him, with the exception of comments about Crown Heights. Crown Heights was not really inside the city when it was built. A very elderly friend who grew up there told me "It was the last stop on the streetcar line, and all my friends thought I was moving way out in the country when we moved to Crown Heights". I understand the desire for quaint, and when it succeeds, it's not a bad thing. However, I also agree that we're not going to get Bag End inside downtown OKC, nor should we try. That's why I like Maywood, Block 42 and Central Ave. Villas better than the Hill.

metro
11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm in on the planning for this group and will post updates as it becomes relevant.

striker
11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
gotta work on the name... SOSA? maybe something not tied to a business, albeit a hospital.

metro
11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
what's wrong with the name? We could call it WOWA, West of Walker Avenue but that sounds sillier. New York has TriBeca, SoHo, LoMex, DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass Dumbo NYC, Brooklyn (DumboNYC.com) (http://dumbonyc.com/)), and other districts. So do other metropolitan areas. Why is this any different?

tuck
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
What are the borders? Does it stop at 6th or does it stretch to 4th/5th?

Luke
11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
What are the borders? Does it stop at 6th or does it stretch to 4th/5th?

That's what I was trying to figure out myself. Their map isn't very precise.

metro
11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Right now this is more of a hobby, we're meeting to discuss the future of the area and the possibilities currently. Will post updates as relevant.

tuck
11-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Who all is involved in this group? I am interested in hearing what is going on. I recently bought a group of small lots on the NW corner of 5th and Dewey and have plans to build a home there.

metro
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Check your PM tuck.

metro
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Here are some pictures of another project going up in the unofficial "SoSA" district. It's called Bridge House and Brian Fitzsimmons is the architect. There are at least 3 other modern residences fixing to break ground in the district that I know of so that will start to finally build a critical mass. Also if anyone is interested in helping with possibly making this an official downtown district (especially if you live or own property in the area), then send me a PM.

http://www.fitzsimmons-arch.com/Architects/bridge%20house%202.html

This is the "Over the Line" House.

http://www.fitzsimmons-arch.com/Architects/over%20the%20line%202.html

There are a few more going up and I will try and get my hands on the architectural renderings.

warreng88
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Metro, any idea where those are located?

Platemaker
11-14-2008, 10:06 AM
gotta work on the name... SOSA? maybe something not tied to a business, albeit a hospital.

I agree... SoSA is really grasping... it's Midtown.

metro
11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Metro, any idea where those are located?

NW 7th near Francis.

metro
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree... SoSA is really grasping... it's Midtown.

But Heritage Hills is in Midtown, Mesta Park, Walker Ave. District, NW 10th, SoSA aka "cottage district" etc. are all in downtowns and midtowns boundaries, but each "sub district" has it's own unique flavor. SoSA has quite a unique flavor compared to most of MidTown and will be a completely modern neighborhood in probably 10 years or less.

I'm all for open ideas, but so far, I haven't heard of a better name for the neighborhood, and "cottage district" doesn't really truly define the character of the neighborhood or the direction its taking organically anyways. I still don't see how it's different from similar named neighborhoods in most large metro areas like I mentioned above, SoHO, SoCal, LoMex, DUMBO, TriBeCa, etc. NYC is a city of 5 boroughs and 59 districts! Why can't we be open minded and encourage more local flavor in OKC and less cookie cutter houses in suburbia?

Anyhow, we're open to naming ideas besides SoSA, but that's the most catchy and urban/edgy we've heard so far.

betts
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I think SoSa is a good name. Simple and easy to remember, like SoHo. I agree. Why not have a unique name for a subdistrict that is different from its' surrounds? People will know precisely what you're talking about if the area has a name.

jbrown84
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for those links. It's very cool that the area is emerging as a neighborhood of modern homes. Something you don't usually see in cities our size.

I think it should have it's own name, but don't care for SoSA. It just sounds like it's a name, like Sammy Sosa, rather than a clever acronym thing. What about WeWaECla?

West-of-Walker-East-of-Classen

or it could be EClaWeWa:

East-of-Classen-West-of-Walker

metro
11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
right, because that would be easy to pronounce.....It has to be something catchy that people can easily remember and pronounce.

jbrown84
11-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Eee-cluh-wee-wuh

It's not that hard.

CuatrodeMayo
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Just cuz NYC did it, doesn't make it cool.

I'm sure we could come up with something other than abbreviated street names and directions crammed together.

jbrown84
11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
That would be my preference. There must be a historic name tied to the area.

metro
11-14-2008, 02:08 PM
That would be my preference. There must be a historic name tied to the area.

Yeah, "cottage district", but again that name doesn't really apply to the direction the neighborhood is taking. I'm all for HP (historic preservation), but not much in this neighborhood is historic or worth preserving IMO, there are plenty of vacant lots too that more than likely are and will be built with modern structures.

John
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
WMD = West Midtown District

It's a very explosive acronym! ;)

Urbanized
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't disagree that maybe there is a better name out there for it than SoSA. However, someone mentioned on the freesosa blog that it might not be a good idea to tie the name to a business that could change ownership or its name. Folks, Saint Anthony has been in that location since 1899 -- known by the name Saint Anthony Hospital for the entire time -- and is in the midst of a $220 million expansion and renovation. I seriously doubt they are going anywhere, nor are they changing their name.

kevinpate
11-17-2008, 05:24 AM
and if SA ever leaves, it can just be given a symbol and become the district formerly known as SoSA :)

As long as we're naming places, can we change the lower canal district to EFISville?

meljohnson
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM

I'm sure we could come up with something other than abbreviated street names and directions crammed together.

I agree that while SoSa is easy to remember, I worry that it's tired into Saints. Only a few years they were thinking of leaving the area. Then what would SoSa be? SOFSA? (south of former saint anthony's) :)

I heard "Upside" tossed out there. As in the "Upside of Downtown", and "no downsides of living here"

Any takers on that one?

metro
11-21-2008, 08:07 AM
over the line 2 (http://www.fitzsimmons-arch.com/Architects/over%20the%20line%202.html)

Cottage District set for new home [my edit: aka known as SoSA]
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record November 21, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Plans for a new home in one central Oklahoma City neighborhood threatened to divide the residents in an area that was the picture of urban decay for decades.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-cottage%20dist_MS.jpg

Randy Floyd, an Oklahoma City architect, speaks to members of the Oklahoma City Urban Design Commission Wednesday about concerns over the setback of a proposed home in her neighborhood. Brian Fitzsimmons, right, is a neighbor of Floyd and the designer of the house. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

A house proposed for 825 NW Seventh St., on what is now a vacant lot, has drawn both praise and objections from residents of the Cottage District on the northwest side of downtown.

Almost a decade ago Randy Floyd, an Oklahoma City architect, stumbled upon the neighborhood on Northwest Seventh Street and saw potential in what was then littered with run-down and abandoned homes and apartment buildings.

Floyd and her husband, Michael Smith, bought two of the buildings, which sit on a hill with sweeping views of the downtown skyline, and set to work on renovating both as residences.

The road was long renovating the buildings, but in May 2006 the couple moved into their home at 814 NW Seventh Street.

Others soon followed and in 2006 Brian Fitzsimmons and his wife, TiTi Nguyen, completed work on their ultra-modern home a block west of Floyd and Smith.

And as others have moved into the neighborhood, and built new modern homes or renovated existing homes that were salvageable, Fitzsimmons began planning a house for Bill Lovallo on the vacant lot at 825 NW Seventh St.

When the plans for the home were set to go before the Urban Design Commission in October the trouble began.

Fitzsimmons, who also serves on the committee, brought forth the plans for the two-level, 1,730-square-foot home that would sit atop a slope.

Floyd and Smith were not so keen on the proposed setback for the house.

“I am concerned that the setbacks that have been long established for the neighborhoods are being undermined,” Floyd said.

John Calhoun, with the city Planning Department, said the legal limit for a home in the neighborhood is that is cannot be closer to the street than the forward-most home and likewise can’t extend beyond the rearmost home on the same side of the street of the same block.

Floyd took a look at setbacks on the numbered streets and side streets and saw a discrepancy.

While the front of the house would line up with others on the street, a cantilevered second level fronted by large glass panels would extend outward about eight feet beyond the accepted limit.

After reviewing the matter the city legal staff determined that the house was at an acceptable setback in relation to other houses on that side of the street.

Fitzsimmons said pulling the house back even more to align the projected portion of the home with its neighbors was not a viable option.

“We’d prefer not to do that,” he said. “It would cause the house to look like it was shoved back.”

Floyd and Smith have both expressed admiration for the design of the house, but don’t want to see a trend begin where setbacks are not enforced.

“I am concerned about the incremental changes to established ideas, codes, building lines, setback lines, and the things that are so valuable in the development and design and function of this city,” Smith said. “If we start incrementally changing the rules as we go along then it takes the certainty out of the process.”

The Urban Design Commission approved the plans for the house at its November meeting on Wednesday.

The matter also created tension between residents who not only invested, but chose to live in an area, that for years was rife with drug houses, shacks and transients.
Beth Rutledge and her husband and daughters moved into a renovated house in the neighborhood in February.

She said the residents are all close and frequently get together for meals, wine, and just to chat, and praised Floyd and Smith for literally bringing the neighborhood back to life.
Rutledge also strongly supported plans for the Lovallo home.

“Randy and Michael were the pioneers in that area,” she said. “They were willing to put big money and love and energy into something no one else would.”

Rutledge said the dispute over the placement of the Lovallo home is not enough to divide the neighborhood.

“These are all people who are supremely talented and all care about each other,” she said. “This isn’t the end of the world.”
Floyd agreed.

“Friendship is so much more important than buildings,” she said.
Fitzsimmons said he is still gathering pricing for the home, which will likely be made primarily of cast-in-place concrete.

Lovallo said he looks forward to living in a thoroughly modern home that will bring even more attention to the neighborhood.

“It will be very visually striking,” he said. “It’s a house people will come by to look at. It’s a house that is going to get people to consider that they might want to live in that neighborhood.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice to see ODG representing, I couldn't make it due to prior obligations I couldn't get out of.

For those not in the know, it is the house I posted a link to the other day:

over the line 2 (http://www.fitzsimmons-arch.com/Architects/over%20the%20line%202.html)

dkbrewer
11-21-2008, 08:38 AM
The articles reminds me that Fitzsimmons also proposed "The Upside" for the area. Like Upside of Downtown. I admit, I was eavesdropping on his conversation with someone else, so he might have been joking. But hey, I kinda like it. & beats SoSa. What if Saint's leaves?

Platemaker
11-21-2008, 02:39 PM

God bless... lol

jbrown84
11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
[my edit: aka known as SoSA]

Not really, but okay.

metro
11-22-2008, 02:07 PM
jbrown, what do you mean not really. I live and own in the district and as you know are heavily involved downtown, just because you don't refer to it doesn't mean it isn't also known as. I'm also NOT a rich twenty-something living on a trust fund. Heck, Steve's done an article and blogged on it, so it must be known enough to be news worthy. I just choose to make a difference and be involved rather than just talking smack on an internet chat board.

jbrown84
11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Trust fund? What? I didn't say anything about that...

All I'm saying is that a few people in that neighborhood got together and decided they wanted to be known as SoSa. It hasn't really caught on yet (if it even will), so the writer can't exactly be blamed for using the name that has been used for several years.

mturner
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
jbrown84-actually no one has gotten together and decided they wanted to be known as SoSa. It was first used as a descriptive term by a person in city planning via private communication to someone who didn't know where "Midtown" really was. Somehow it became easier that to say West of here and East or there, north of...etc. As of now, "SoSa" is a placeholder, till something better than "cottage district" is decided upon. Like the Area itself, the name is a thing in process. And those involved are more than a"few" residents, business owners, and those with vested interests. Maybe you can be a little more patronizing next time?

jbrown84
11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know why you are being so sensitive about it. Are you saying it has caught on to the extent that the Journal Record writer should have called it that instead of "cottage district"? I don't believe it has, but feel free to disagree.

khook
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
take a look at floyd on the cities historic preservation commission... most designs that come up have to always be adjusted to met floyd's thoughts. Its as if she's the only one who know how to design.

khook
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
If you watch the historic preservation commission meetings on the city channel, my opinion is that it seems that Ms. Floyd never likes a plan, as presented by any architect. It almost as if she is the only archictect that knows how to design (or that anything can be designed without and architect). The area SOSA is really a pretty blank area of questionable continuity. It seems to be an area that new urban housing close to downtown would be appropriate to allow. That means re-examing the current zoning requirement and exploring whether a different set of critera for this area should be adopted.

mturner
11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
No, actually, I don't think that any name has caught on to replace cottage district. I'd like to see a name replace "cottae district" and I believe it's a proces that is happening. Thanks all.

dkbrewer
11-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I posted this before, not sure why the moderators didn't let it through, but I did hear a suggestion to call the area "the Upside". Since we're al tossing out possibilities...

The Old Downtown Guy
11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
If you watch the historic preservation commission meetings on the city channel, my opinion is that it seems that Ms. Floyd never likes a plan, as presented by any architect. It almost as if she is the only archictect that knows how to design (or that anything can be designed without and architect). . . . .

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm married to Randy Floyd, who btw, is no longer on the HP commission. She and Thomas Small, the only two architects on that commission, both resigned amid the confusion following the oddly timed ruling from the Municipal Counselor's office that also resulted in Anthony McDermid leaving the Downtown Design Review Commission. In case you missed it, khook, Anthony was very vocal in his opposition to the new COC building that recently was approved by the Downtown Design Review Commission.

Both Randy's absence and that of many of the architects that have served our City on its boards and commissions leave a wide gap in the ability of these important bodies to perform their prescribed functions.

So much for background.

Khook, your remarks about Randy Floyd couldn't be further from accurate. Ms. Floyd is simply in favor of following the HP ordinance and the associated guidelines, not against the restoration of the homes in Oklahoma City's HP neighborhoods. Most people do not understand that the Historic Preservation Ordinance is about historic preservation not about how to remodel old houses and make them more attractive. The issues that the HP Commission deals with are difficult at best. Very few applications come before the HP Commission that are not thoroughly reviewed. She was simply willing to lead discussions and voice her understanding, as an architect, of the issues at hand. You have mistakenly characterized her hard work, meticulous research and attention to detail. as being obstructionistic.

There are dozens of dedicated Oklahoma City residents that volunteer thousands of hours each year in service to our community, Randy Floyd being only one. These unheralded individuals serve tirelessly and without compensation because they want OKC to be all it can be. They are accustomed to people like khook taking pot shots at them and the difficult work they do. My purpose here is not to defend Randy, she well can take care of herself, but to acknowledge her service and that of all of the other good OKC people that are willing to stand up and make a difference. Their service is something I am thankful for today.

Michael Smith

angel27
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
FWIW I like SoSA; its as indescript and intriquing as the area is evolving to.

Pete
12-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Saint Anthony is not going anywhere.

They have recently spent tens of millions to expand and enhance their campus with more on the way. And all this before the surrounding area really started to fill in.

There is also more and more ties between it and the Health Sciences Center, so I think Saints will only get stronger with time.

And I personally like "SoSA". :)

jbrown84
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
The have really nice holiday lights up this year too.

SouthsideSooner
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
FWIW I like SoSA; its as indescript and intriquing as the area is evolving to.

I agree. I think the name is unique and quirky and is a good fit.

mturner
12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
"The Urban Design Commission approved the plans for the house at its November meeting on Wednesday."
The saga continues...After amonth's delay so that the City's legal department could rule that new construction had to fall within current range of setbacks on the same street, and after UDC ruled that the Lovallo project did therefor comply with current codes, and gave the green light, the Lovallo project is once again on hold. Ms Floyd has retained legal services to file an appeal of the UDC's decision. This halts the project which apparently was set to break ground this past week, until it can be heard by Board of Adjustments in January. Interesting....or maybe I'm just easily amused!

jbrown84
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh my. Is it really worth all this, Ms. Floyd??

Doug Loudenback
12-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Although I don't know Ms. Floyd, I have had a couple of good lunches and talks, as well as a few e-mails, with Michael (though not as recently as I would like ... hopefully again, soon). Only one or two days pass that I do not think of him since I drive by his long-standing Design Resources (http://www.designresources.us/) business on NW 23rd with almost daily regularity (living only a few blocks away). He has long been in the forefront of acting to try and save notable parts of Oklahoma City, including his (and others') failed attempt to save the building below, the YMCA building located at the NE corner of NW 5th and Robinson which was needless destroyed following the Murrah bombing to make way for a street-level parking lot ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/hotels/ymca02s_gri.jpg

For a piece of the story about that, see Doug Dawgz Blog: Other Downtown Hotels (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/03/downtown-hotels.html#YMCA%202). He was also involved with the more successful attempt to preserve the "Gold Dome" at NW 23rd and Classen, as well as other ombudsman Oklahoma City endeavors. I would assume, but do not know, that his wife may also have been involved in some if not all of those efforts.

It would be a serious mistake for any to think that Smith & Floyds' hearts and minds are not in the right place. They are intelligent serious minded people who have Oklahoma City's interests at heart, and Michael has my complete respect and admiration ... vicariously, I extend that same opinion to his wife whom I have not met.

That's not to say there isn't necessarily a legitimate difference of opinion about this, as evidenced by the main article's report of a pair of other residents in the neighborhood who have differing views. Reasonable minds have and will differ and I have no opinion on the particular item at issue except to say, if Michael Smith has a position, as he clearly does, it is not a position that is short-sighted or frivolous and it is a position that should receive respect.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Since Michael and Randys' address was given in the article, it is now in "public view," so to speak. So I went to the Assessor's records to have a peek ... "before" and "after" photos are there, which was nice.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2732/R013206080001zA.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2732/R013206080001yA.jpg

Nice work, Michael!

I'll drive by soon to see how the property has changed since the 2004 photo was taken by the assessor. But, to the point, this "spearheading" project is credited in the main article with turning the area around. It is a fair and reasonable thing for them to be acting in a way which will, in their view, be beneficial to that area in the short and long term, especially since the dispute affects them directly. It is evident from the article that the neighbors who take a different position have a high regard for Smith & Floyd.

Now, if and when it might occur that negative remarks about Ms. Floyd and/or Mr. Smith, and if and when the authors of such remarks will be shown to have have paid their Oklahoma City dues like Michael has, well, then, I'll give more respect such authors and their remarks.

But not yet, since that hasn't happened.

Some Guy
12-14-2008, 07:27 AM
...if Michael Smith has a position, as he clearly does, it is not a position that is short-sighted or frivolous and it is a position that should receive respect.

Well said, and here are just a couple of examples: Without Mr. Smith we likely would not have the Gold Dome. Without Ms. Floyd we would not have the Walnut Avenue bridge.

bella
12-14-2008, 08:38 AM
The two parties are not always on opposing sides. In fact, Fitzsimmons was heavily involved in trying to preserve the Gold Dome and the downtown YMCA, in addition to various other historic preservation projects, the stalled Tower theater, the Bricktown Kingman building, the Buick building with Rand Elliott. This area however, has no "historic" rules or covenants. With the above exception, no other neighbors have voiced any formal opposition. In fact, those who have attended UDC, have strongly been in favor of the project. Some may argue that this "issue" isn't really an issue. In fact, 3 hours and 2 sessions of UDC deliberation, and a formal opinion issued by the City of Oklahoma's legal department ruled that it was not an issue, that the Lovallo project is a welcomed addition to the area, and is well within current official guidelines.

Some Guy
12-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Also well said. I would add that many consider Mr. Fitzsimmons to be one of the top architectural talents in the city. Like Mr. Smith and Ms. Floyd, Mr. Fitzsimmons is a real asset for OKC. All of which makes it doubly interesting to see how the issue will ultimately be resolved.

mturner
12-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not aversed to stirring the pot a bit, I admit that, but did not intend my "update" to launch an attack on anyone. Judging from the strong defense on behalf of certain parties, my last post might have been construed as such but, it wasn't meant that way.

Doug Loudenback
12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Also well said. I would add that many consider Mr. Fitzsimmons to be one of the top architectural talents in the city. Like Mr. Smith and Ms. Floyd, Mr. Fitzsimmons is a real asset for OKC. All of which makes it doubly interesting to see how the issue will ultimately be resolved.
Completely agree. As I said, reasonable minds can and will differ, and all "antagonists" in the current matter appear to fall in that category. On the issue at hand, I have no opinion due to my personal ignorance of the issues involved. My comment was aimed at the respect which I regard as due to Smith and Floyd, nothing more, nothing less.

Doug Loudenback
12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not aversed to stirring the pot a bit, I admit that, but did not intend my "update" to launch an attack on anyone. Judging from the strong defense on behalf of certain parties, my last post might have been construed as such but, it wasn't meant that way.
I didn't see your comments as an attack on anyone at all. Just so you'll know ...

jbrown84
12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I didn't intend to knock Ms. Floyd or her opinion in the matter. It merely seems like, at this point, after being approved 2 or 3 times over by the UDC, it wouldn't be worth fighting over a setback.

Fight demolition of unique historical stuctures, yeah! I'm right with them. This just doesn't seem worth fighting over your neighbors about.

Doug Loudenback
12-14-2008, 09:57 PM
I didn't intend to knock Ms. Floyd or her opinion in the matter. It merely seems like, at this point, after being approved 2 or 3 times over by the UDC, it wouldn't be worth fighting over a setback.

Fight demolition of unique historical stuctures, yeah! I'm right with them. This just doesn't seem worth fighting over your neighbors about.
As I've said, I have no opinion as to the merits of the issue. As to whether this matter is worth the fuss, I'll defer to Smith, Floyd, and their neighbors who apparently think that it is. But as to ultimate outcome, history teaches that there's no sure thing in litigation ... consider Brown v. Board of Education, for example. Not that is matter is that big a deal, but just to say ...

CuatrodeMayo
12-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree. I think the name is unique and quirky and is a good fit.

Yea...sticking two abreviations together is really creative and unique.

metro
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Yea...sticking two abreviations together is really creative and unique.

Apparently most other major metro areas think so.....just sayin'

CuatrodeMayo
12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Apparently most other major metro areas think so.....just sayin'

If all your friends jumped off a cliff...

lol.