View Full Version : Question regard moving to/from Oklahoma?

bigjkt405
11-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a question that I would like to ask of the board. It will just help me get a better feel for the board, as I have lurked for a year or two, but am just now really participating in terms of posting.

I know that we have quite a few posters who are originally Oklahomans, and quite a few that have moved to Oklahoma.

Who and how many of us were raised in Oklahoma, moved away, and moved back to Oklahoma? If you did and don't mind sharing, what were the reasons that you came back, and would you relocate again.

bigjkt405
11-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Who and how many of us were raised in Oklahoma, moved away, and moved back to Oklahoma? If you did and don't mind sharing, what were the reasons that you came back, and would you relocate again.

I'll start with myself. I was born and raised here in Oklahoma City, and moved away right after college. I originally wanted to go to school out of state, but that fell apart two weeks before school and ended up in state. I moved back about 18 months or so after moving away. I always said I was moving away from Oklahoma, and never coming back, but circumstances dictated that I come back. I've enjoyed my time back here (3 years, (not including the 4 years in Tulsa) and now with a family of my own, I find it increasingly difficult to uproot and move again.

-- I only asked to kind of gauge the perspective of some posters. I like Oklahoma City, and like the forward momentum we have, but personally I know we have a long ways to go --

PennyQuilts
11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I grew up in Oklahoma and raised my kids there. In 2000, after the kids left home, I re-married and moved to the East Coast because of my husband's job. He is also an Oklahoma boy and as soon as he can retire from the feds (or otherwise manage to relocate back home), we'll be back. We already have a home waiting for us.

It was an incredible eye opener to move from Oklahoma to near our Nation's Capital, particularly during the time of the 911 events and the wars in Afganistan and Iraq. It has really made me appreciate the good things about Oklahoma and, believe me, I was well aware of her faults and drawbacks when I left. I am much more conservative now, than I was then. In fact, when I left I was leaning liberal. After what I have seen in Washington inside the Beltway, I can tell you that with all its faults, it will be good to be back where people are so real.

westsidesooner
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM

I was born in OKC at St. Anthonys and lived here til I was 16. When my mother died I moved to Mission Viejo California to live with my aunt. I loved SoCal. Esp. Orange County and its beaches. But the culture shock was enormous, and when I turned 18 and finished school (Go Diablos) I moved back to Oklahoma. I moved back to be near my remaning family members, my friends, for OU football and because deep inside I guess Im just an Okie. Socal had no real seasons..just nice weather all the time. That gets boring!! I love storms and photography and stormchase all the time so Oklahoma is a natural for me. Ive lived in the OKC area ever since (OKC, Edmond and Bethany) And despite the beauty of Orange County (I also love the mountains of Colorado) Oklahoma will always be HOME If I ever moved from Oklahoma it would probably be to Colorado, or the Carribean when I retire.

proud2Bsooner
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know if I really qualify for your question, but almost do.
Anyway, the company I worked for a few years ago decided to close up shop in OKC. They wanted to keep me around, so I commuted for about 10 months to a couple of places. The place I nearly moved was North Carolina. NC is pretty much the capitol of the healthcare world. I worked there for nearly 7 months, commuting from OKC weekly. I loved North Carolina. Loved it.
Spring was spring there. Mild, not much wind. Everything was blooming. Pine trees everywhere. It really seemed like heaven to me, because even if I didn't stay with the company it would not have been very difficult to find another job out there.
Every week I came home to OKC, it was the typical early spring weather. Windy, dusty, windy, and rainy. I suddenly realized how blah Oklahoma was...(my thoughts have since changed).
Turned out, we decided to stay home to remain with friends and family. I elected to get laid-off. It was an absolute nightmare, as I had to divert completely from my career path for a year. My savings were all but drained completely.
Now today I still wonder what would have been. I miss North Carolina a lot for a variety of reasons. But I have to say that it is very enjoyable watching the City grow, and I would not trade the time since deciding stay.
I think that many Okies have a hard time saying goodbye to the most important thing in our lives: our families. Most of us are down to earth, and we like being around other down to earth people. There are certainly more attractive areas to live, but nothing beats home.

bigjkt405
11-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I think that many Okies have a hard time saying goodbye to the most important thing in our lives: our families. Most of us are down to earth, and we like being around other down to earth people. There are certainly more attractive areas to live, but nothing beats home.

This is the only real reason I am still here. My family is what I missed most while living in Florida. It wasn't the special occasions (holiday's, etc) that I missed. It was the "hey its Tuesday night and auntie cooked so every one come over" nights that I missed. Once my father's condition worsened I made the decision to come on back. Since then I've created my own family complete with 2.5 kids and picket fence, and can't bear for them to grow up without experiencing the family atmosphere that we have.

Chicken In The Rough
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I was born and raised in OKC. I left the state for college, then began moving all over the country. I've lived in Atlanta, Detroit, Las Vegas, Dallas, and most recently, Toronto. Having had the opportunity to live in a diversity of places, I quickly learned that OKC is not as bad as its residents tend to believe. Everyplace I've been has advantages and disadvantages. All-in-all, OKC is a nice place and rates well on my scale.

At one point, I moved back to OKC to start a business. It has done well and I am still involved with its daily operations from a distance. This business as well as my family kept me in OKC for 10 years. However, I had to leave again as a result of America's outdated and out-moded immigration laws.

My partner is not a U.S. citizen, and we are not allowed to be married or civil-unioned under U.S. law. Even if we were, Oklahoma refuses to recognize us by constitutional amendment. We spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to remain legally, but our backs were eventually up against the wall and we had to leave the country.

We are now Permanent Residents of Canada and are on our way to becoming citizens. We would love to come back to the U.S., and would love to come back to OKC. It is exciting to read of all the changes. But until the laws are changed, we must remain exiled.

I believe that OKC does lack some of the opportunities of larger cities. Educational opporunities, employment opportunities, and even social opportunities can be better in other places. This has driven residents away for many, many years. Personally, I can make much better money in other places than in OKC. But these are not the only factors that force people to leave or to stay away.

Luke
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Can you not get citizenship here?

jbrown84
11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but it sounds like Chicken is in a same sex relationship.

Superhyper
11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, the gist of which means his (or her, not a gender-informative screen name :P ) partner cannot gain citizenship through him (or her). Which is an example of the rather sad state of affairs here these days. At least the Canadians are nice, and make the best maple syrup you'll ever have the pleasure of enjoying! As for the original question, I haven't left yet, as I'm still in college here. I do plan to leave after graduation though, there simply aren't many opportunities for international development or diplomacy jobs in dear OK :(

okcpulse
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
For each person that leaves OKC, one new hurdle arises. If people would stop leaving, and help create OKC into the dynamic place we are working so hard for, we WOULD have more opportunities.

Luke
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, the gist of which means his (or her, not a gender-informative screen name :P ) partner cannot gain citizenship through him (or her).

Understood. However, couldn't s/he just apply for citizenship?

bretthexum
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I moved here in 05. Been bouncing around the country for work since about 99. I'd love to stay and raise my soon to be born kids here if the job market allows it.

taylor83
11-12-2008, 07:07 AM
I grew up in eastern Oklahoma and graduated from OU in '06. Then I got a job in Dallas and lived there until just a few months ago, when I was recruited by an energy company here in OKC.

Luke
11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I'd love to stay and raise my soon to be born kids here...

Congrats. :) Will these be your first? Are you expecting more than one, I assume?

metro
11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
For each person that leaves OKC, one new hurdle arises. If people would stop leaving, and help create OKC into the dynamic place we are working so hard for, we WOULD have more opportunities.

Um, didn't you leave OKC for Houston?

BG918
11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I grew up in Tulsa and moved to Norman to go to OU 6 years ago. I graduated with an architecture degree and nearly moved to Denver for a job there. Then I decided to get my master's degree at OU so I stayed living in Norman but also working for a company in OKC. I may move depending on what the job market, specifically architecture/construction, is like when I finish grad school in 2 years. I really like living in Norman and OKC but would like to experience a different place. My goal would be to return but probably to Tulsa. I know OKC is larger and progressing more but Tulsa is still prettier, closer to lakes and mountains, and my family is there. #1 thing I would miss about leaving: OU football and basketball games.

Dave Cook
11-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Interesting thread.

I've always found there are two kinds of people that leave Oklahoma and almost always one returns.

1) CONSERVATIVES - Leave after college (usually to Dallas), stay a few years battling the traffic and craziness, move back to Oklahoma City and then spend the rest of their lives talking about how great it is and how they'll never leave again.

2) LIBERALS - Leave after college (usually Seattle, LA, DC, New York, etc)....and you never hear from them ever again.

As a lib, it's really hard moving back here and staying. As great as the people are, the attitudes and comments you hear are just amazing.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2008, 05:02 AM
My kids all went to college in Texas and ended up in NYC. One married a New England girl so he probably won't be back but I think he'd consider it at some point, otherwise. At least if he had kids to raise. One of my girls says no way will she ever move back - although she recently mentioned that she is glad I'm moving back because she wants to keep her ties... The third one says she doesn't think she'll be back - maybe Texas - but her husband is an Oklahoma boy and I expect to see them back to raise their kids, someday. Maybe not, but I think it will probably happen.

Luke
11-13-2008, 06:53 AM
It's all personal preferences. One isn't better than any other.

I lived in Seattle until I was six years old. Then for a couple years I lived in St. Paul. I can't say that I remember much, except being wet in Washington and cold in St. Paul.

As a teen and adult, I've traveled again to both those cities for vacations. I lived in Colorado Springs for a summer. I've vacationed in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Orlando, Miami, Denver & Aspen... all over really. And as much as I enjoyed each of those places as vacations, I always looked forward to coming back to home sweet home.

The people here are much nicer. I like the laid back lifestyle. And no matter where I went, politics was never an issue. Rude people, yes, but politics, no. In fact, the politics of the majority of those around me would never determine my staying or going from any certain location.

I look forward to traveling more. But Oklahoma City will always be my home.

okcpulse
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Um, didn't you leave OKC for Houston?

I am in Houston only for family (inlaws) reasons. Once everything is settled, we are moving back to OKC in a few years to raise our children there. In the meantime, I am racking up experience points at my company so that when we get back to OKC, finding a job won't be an issue.

What I was talking about are college grads who have a chance to create a business in OKC and stay in OKC to grow that business and create more opportunities.

TeriOKC
11-15-2008, 07:17 AM
All of my family was born and raised in southwestern Oklahoma (Hobart/Gotebo area). They moved to Wichita Falls, TX right before I was born for some weird reason, and moved to OKC when I was 6 weeks old (that was almost 49 years ago).

I've traveled a lot but NEVER lived anywhere else. I don't want to. We've spent a lot of time in Laguna Beach, where my "second Mom" has a home. Beautiful place, love to spend time there, but it's not HOME.

Unfortunately, both of our girls now live out of state with their husbands. Eldest lives in Denver (sorry...not my favorite place - crappy homebuilding and unrealistic pricing for what you get) and youngest lives in Tucson.

I love the weather in Oklahoma - mild winters, hot summers, lovely springs and falls. Don't mind storms - kind of like them as long as the hail and tornadoes keep their distance.

Our people are real, genuine. Friendly and polite for the most part, much more so than anywhere else.

We don't plan on ever moving, unless it's to be closer to grandchildren at some point. We still hope that one or both of our girls will someday return.

okcpulse
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Interesting thread.

I've always found there are two kinds of people that leave Oklahoma and almost always one returns.

1) CONSERVATIVES - Leave after college (usually to Dallas), stay a few years battling the traffic and craziness, move back to Oklahoma City and then spend the rest of their lives talking about how great it is and how they'll never leave again.

2) LIBERALS - Leave after college (usually Seattle, LA, DC, New York, etc)....and you never hear from them ever again.

As a lib, it's really hard moving back here and staying. As great as the people are, the attitudes and comments you hear are just amazing.

This is EXACTLY why I walked away from conservatism and liberalism. Those beliefs are nothing but devisive and distracting. What ever happened to just being human and enjoying the gift of life? Guess those days are long gone.

I really don't agree with people playing musical chairs with different states for political reasons. I am not saying people shouldn't be doing that, but I just don't agree with it. I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma City, but don't dare EVER to call be a liberal or conservative. I don't like being labeled.

I'm not saying that's what you are doing to me, SweetNSourPoke, I am just stressing the point to others that just because I prefer Oklahoma over every place else doesn't mean I am conservative. And if you think the attitudes and comments are amazing up there, you should here some of the things being said here in "progressive" Houston.

Thanks to the election, liberal and conservative beliefs are damaged goods in my book.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
11-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I was born here

Ill die here

sgray
11-17-2008, 04:02 AM
I was born here

I don't know where I'll die

nurfe
01-24-2009, 09:13 PM
I was born in Enid in 1975, grew up in Alva, and moved to the OKC area when I started college in 1993; first 2 years at OBU, then graduated from UCO. I moved to Portland, OR in 2006 and have never looked back. My family spread out across the country and I have only a few friends in OKC.

Why did I leave? Well I'm gay and a Democrat. Okies don't take too kindly to that, and so I found a more open minded city with more to do. I am proud of Oklahoma City for redevelopment efforts, Bricktown, river walk, Chesapeake Boathouse, etc., but it was too little too late in my opinion. I have some good memories of the place, but the conservative politics and homophobia were much too scary. Had to leave.

nurfe
01-24-2009, 09:18 PM

OKCpulse, that will never ever happen until this state learns to just zip it with the homophobia crap. I got sick of it and moved to the west coast; I was tired of being treated like garbage.

Until that state learns to vote the Sally Kerns and Ernie Istooks out of office, the young, the educated, and especially the gay, will continue to flee in terror.