View Full Version : T.G.&Y. Stores:Gone but not forgotten

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

ddavidson8
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
If you go to google maps and do a search of "108 mid america blvd. midwest city oklahoma" you should be able to get the street view of this location. It looks like the theater building is still there, but the facade has been changed, at least when looking down on the location.

Generals64
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Gen64, I just found my Golden T 5 Band radio! I'll bring it to the get
together at Coit's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great:.........I just found a 35mm Golden T Camera....I'll bring it.....don't know if it works or if there is film in it....that'd be neat if it had some old pictures in it....Unless Soonergirl was using it...then we would all be in trouble....Has she disappeared or what??????

RealJimbo
09-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I got one of those TG&Y color TVs from the refurb center and it was the first color TV I owned. It is still in use at my friend's house down at Hugo, OK. They have it connected to a digital converter. That TV has a rotary tuner and all.

Remember Ken Bird (Byrd?) who ran the last variety store in Edmond? He was a good store operator and was eventually sent to Elizabethtown (Elizabethton?), Kentucky. Last time I spoke to Ken I was still working at HQ, some time in 1986 and he was still in Kentucky, loving it.

A friend and I were talking about Jack Cook this week. He ran a hardware store in Edmond after he left T.G.&Y. A good store, too. He opened the first family center in Edmond, at Edmond Plaza. I still remember eating in the cafeteria that was in that store. Yep, cafeteria.

Another funny story from the Edmond Plaza T.G.&Y. - one day a couple of the assistant managers saw a customer struggling to load a jon boat on top of his pickup. It had a pipe rack on it and the guy was having a hard time. They went out there with some tie-down cord and helped him get it secured. He offered them a tip which they turned down. After he drove off and they went back in the store, the manager asked them what happened to the last jon boat on the lot. They told him and he let them know that the guy didn't pay for it. He stole it and they helped him!

By the way, I think the assistant managers were Jerry Sutton and Jerry Crockett. May have Crockett's first name wrong ,but I saw that he passed away not long ago.

Generals64
09-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I got one of those TG&Y color TVs from the refurb center and it was the first color TV I owned. It is still in use at my friend's house down at Hugo, OK. They have it connected to a digital converter. That TV has a rotary tuner and all.

Remember Ken Bird (Byrd?) who ran the last variety store in Edmond? He was a good store operator and was eventually sent to Elizabethtown (Elizabethton?), Kentucky. Last time I spoke to Ken I was still working at HQ, some time in 1986 and he was still in Kentucky, loving it.

A friend and I were talking about Jack Cook this week. He ran a hardware store in Edmond after he left T.G.&Y. A good store, too. He opened the first family center in Edmond, at Edmond Plaza. I still remember eating in the cafeteria that was in that store. Yep, cafeteria.

Another funny story from the Edmond Plaza T.G.&Y. - one day a couple of the assistant managers saw a customer struggling to load a jon boat on top of his pickup. It had a pipe rack on it and the guy was having a hard time. They went out there with some tie-down cord and helped him get it secured. He offered them a tip which they turned down. After he drove off and they went back in the store, the manager asked them what happened to the last jon boat on the lot. They told him and he let them know that the guy didn't pay for it. He stole it and they helped him!

By the way, I think the assistant managers were Jerry Sutton and Jerry Crockett. May have Crockett's first name wrong ,but I saw that he passed away not long ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you're right on the money about the name....right after that happened, they sent Sutton to my store as my Co-Manager.....We didn't carry Jon boats. the last time I heard from him he was in Memphis, tennessee...that was a good employee.....I could always count on him.

Generals64
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I just went to Wal-Mart (Hate to go there) and they were putting up Christmas Merchandise....What happened to Halloweeen and Thanksgiving. In the OLD Days of TG&Y you didn't put any...ANY...Christmas goods out untilo Friday after Thansgiving and then you worked around the clock to have it out for the week-end business.....

Prunepicker
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I just went to Wal-Mart (Hate to go there) and they were putting up
Christmas Merchandise... What happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving. In
the OLD Days of TG&Y you didn't put any... ANY... Christmas goods out until
Friday after Thanksgiving and then you worked around the clock to have it
out for the week-end business...
The Spielgel Christmas catalog didn't arrive until October.

Generals64
09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
The Spielgel Christmas catalog didn't arrive until October.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Otasco Catalogue was in the Thanksgiving Day Paper....I think it was called The Oklahoma City Times then.....Because my sister and I would go through Each and Every page and drool on what we wanted from Santa Claus. And Yes PapaOU there is a Santa Claus....Just Ask Virginia.....I still would like to re open TG&Y like the old Variety Stores used to be....Cheap candy and every thing....Chocolate peanuts were 39 cents a pound.....I got my wife some Chocolate peanuts at the Airport and didn't pay attention tothe price...until I counted my change....$14.99 pound......What???????

papaOU
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;258945]------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chocolate peanuts were 39 cents a pound.....I got my wife some Chocolate peanuts at the Airport and didn't pay attention tothe price...until I counted my change....$14.99 pound......What???????

Another fond memory from the City of OKC.

Free enterprise???????

Ya' aint' gettin' them anyplace cheaper...........

You're a hostage.......

Where you gonna go???????

Little tough on OKC.......

It's every airport.

bluedogok
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
The Oklahoma City Times was the Daily Oklahoman afternoon paper as I remember.

Prunepicker
09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
The Otasco Catalogue was in the Thanksgiving Day Paper... I think it was
called The Oklahoma City Times then... Because my sister and I would go
through Each and Every page and drool on what we wanted from Santa
Claus. And Yes PapaOU there is a Santa Claus... Just Ask Virginia... I still
would like to re open TG&Y like the old Variety Stores used to be... Cheap
candy and every thing... Chocolate peanuts were 39 cents a pound... I got
my wife some Chocolate peanuts at the Airport and didn't pay attention to
the price... until I counted my change... $14.99 pound... What?
The Daily Oklahoman was the morning paper and the Oklahoma Times was the
evening. Remember the Oklahoma Journal? It was also a morning paper.

$14.99 lb for chocolate peanuts? Good grief!

papaOU
09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
When I had a route with the Oklahoman I hated Thanksgiving afternoon and the following Friday morning. Both had all the sales ads and brochures. I remember one Thanksgiving afternoon it began to snow and I was "folding" papers on my drop corner. snowed all afternoon and evening. One of the few snow days ever on Thanksgiving. It had to be 66 or 67.........................

Long after some of you old geezers had graduated.........

Generals64
10-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Snow was in 1966....First Thanksgiving with my wife (as a married couple)...Now that Fall is coming in can't you remember the Smell of Hot Buttered Popcorn when you went into a TG&Y? Now Wal-Mart takes their Popcorn out of a large Plastic Bag with all the perservatives you can imagine so the bag will last at least 6 months. Sam Walton (as did all true Variety Merchants) used the Popcorn machine to get customers into the store and get them to stay as they munched on the popcorn going up and down the aisles...25 Cents for a Medium Bag.....Could usually generate an extra $2.00 per bag sold on Suggestive Selling merchandise......Need a Cold Pop to go with your Popcorn?.....We also had Fresh Roasted Peanuts........and Cashews.....

papaOU
10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Snow was in 1966....First Thanksgiving with my wife (as a married couple)...Now that Fall is coming in can't you remember the Smell of Hot Buttered Popcorn when you went into a TG&Y? Now Wal-Mart takes their Popcorn out of a large Plastic Bag with all the perservatives you can imagine so the bag will last at least 6 months. Sam Walton (as did all true Variety Merchants) used the Popcorn machine to get customers into the store and get them to stay as they munched on the popcorn going up and down the aisles...25 Cents for a Medium Bag.....Could usually generate an extra $2.00 per bag sold on Suggestive Selling merchandise......Need a Cold Pop to go with your Popcorn?.....We also had Fresh Roasted Peanuts........and Cashews.....

Target has fresh popcorn. They only pop it when I enter the store.

I don't remember TG&Y having popcorn. Of course the age I was popcorn was not a major find.

Generals64
10-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Popcorn was a mainstay in the Variety Stores....Mr. Young would show up from nowhere on a Saturday and you better have popcorn smelling in the air...If not he would pop it for you and then take you to the back and explain Salesmanship. Do you guys remember the whirlybird that had two Rubberbands and Crepe paper and you spun them around and they made this weird sound? Kinda like from Australia......I remember one HOT, Sultry Summer night and everyone would sleep with their windows open and maybe a Swamp Cooler going...We got this idea to get up late and make those weird sounding work around an open window.....It vibrated even more if a fan was going....Well, the entire neighborhood began to get worried about those sounds....Won't go any further but, we stopped using them.....You can't even find those in Cracker Barrell....Frisky, do you have one of those in your toy stash????

How about the 10cent Balsa wood planes? Those were fun especially about the time they were on their last leg and you could tie a firecracker on it and have someone light it while you threw it.....How STUPID could you be to hold a piece of volatile wood while you buddy lit a match to it????think about that???? Major ingredients could be purchased at your local TG&Y....
To this day, there is a TRUE Variety store in Downtown Branson....Dick's Fiv and Dime.....Old TG&Y manager owned the store.....his son runs it now...just like TG&Y.....

Prunepicker
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Do you guys remember the whirlybird that had two Rubberbands and Crepe
paper and you spun them around and they made this weird sound?
Had one! Had that Wham-O bird, too. There were some other really cool
Wham-O things. Can't remember right now.

How about the 10cent Balsa wood planes? Those were fun especially about
the time they were on their last leg and you could tie a firecracker on it
and have someone light it while you threw it...
Those were real toys. Now they're a $1. Still fun. I like the one's with the
rubber band powered prop. Did you ever try to power one with a pop
bottle rocket?

To this day, there is a TRUE Variety store in Downtown Branson... Dick's Fiv
and Dime... Old TG&Y manager owned the store... his son runs it now...
just like TG&Y...
Been there! Had to get a candy bar! They stayed open while we looked
around. A lot of fun.

skyrick
10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
We called it Turtles, Girdles & Yo-yos. NW36 & Western was my #1 comic book store from '61 to '66 when I switched to Mad Magazine.

Rick

gen70
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
We called it Turtles, Girdles & Yo-yos. NW36 & Western was my #1 comic book store from '61 to '66 when I switched to Mad Magazine.

Rick

My father did not like "me" reading Mad Mag...because he thought it was subversive......"Really"....He was a Korean war vet and thought it broke down "good values"...

Prunepicker
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
My father did not like "me" reading Mad Mag... because he thought it was
subversive... "Really"... He was a Korean war vet and thought it broke down
"good values"...
My parents bought subscriptions for me for years. I don't think they ever
read it. I've still got some of the books, too.

papaOU
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Did you ever place those stickers around that came in the mag sometimes. I got ran out of a few department stores on the Hill. Maybe even the Capitol Hill Public Library.

One of the "stories" I always remember was the one on Paul Newman in Hombre!

oneforone
10-09-2009, 01:37 AM
When I was kid... I had one of the TG&Y Family Center Nylint Tractor Trailer Trucks. I lost it during a move when I was 7. I loved that little truck. I wish I still had it to this day.

Generals64
10-09-2009, 08:03 AM
When I was kid... I had one of the TG&Y Family Center Nylint Tractor Trailer Trucks. I lost it during a move when I was 7. I loved that little truck. I wish I still had it to this day.
What part of the world did you live in?....If you are here in OKC, I'll check the magical van and see if there is one in there....let me know....Generals 64

papaOU
10-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Generals64...

When the two stores were opened on 74th and Penn. and 29th and May I was told that TG&Y priced items according to the type of economic base that area had. Like 29th & May had cheaper because of the average income being low. 74th & Penn, higher prices.

Did not remember that until I looked at this thread.

Figure if anyone would know you would.

skyrick
10-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Did you ever place those stickers around that came in the mag sometimes. I got ran out of a few department stores on the Hill. Maybe even the Capitol Hill Public Library.

One of the "stories" I always remember was the one on Paul Newman in Hombre!

Spy vs Spy!

smooth
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Count me in as one of the many (I bet most) former teenagers that started the world of work at TG&Y. I was at 411. Many fond memories, not only of work, but also since it opened. It was my hangout.

Bunty
10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
How about the 10cent Balsa wood planes? Those were fun especially about the time they were on their last leg and you could tie a firecracker on it and have someone light it while you threw it.....How STUPID could you be to hold a piece of volatile wood while you buddy lit a match to it????think about that????

A friend and I would always buy the 25 cent ones. They were lots funner. They came with rubber band powered propeller and wheels. They flew better than the 15 cent Sleek Streeks that came with propeller only. Had to look for and sell many pop bottles at the nearest grocery store to buy new ones to replace the ones that got caught in a tree or whatever would happen to them.

It never occurred with me to be crazy enough to put fireworks on them.

Generals64
10-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Generals64...

When the two stores were opened on 74th and Penn. and 29th and May I was told that TG&Y priced items according to the type of economic base that area had. Like 29th & May had cheaper because of the average income being low. 74th & Penn, higher prices.

Did not remember that until I looked at this thread.

Figure if anyone would know you would.
Had a Snafu on my computer.....Both stores were open in 1964. I worked at both of them when each of then first opened. Mr. Price was the Manager at #411 (74th & Penn) and Mr. Kelly #415 (29th & May) was the manager there. As far as pricing that part was not true. Both of these guys were fierce competitors and the object of the game was to make more Bottom Line Money than the other. The 29th st. Store came out of the Gate a little stronger as people realized what TG&Y was attempting to do. Now, you have to remember there were 52 stores in the OKC Metro area. Most of them were Small Variety Stores. Mr. Kelly is still at it with Kelly's Variety and Mr. Price passed away about 15 years ago. They both ran about a 32% profit Margin....The higher ups wouldn't let them go any lower. They did in certain areas but there were ways to cover (bad Retail Word) the lower prices........We (74th st.) battled the Economy Square store every day however......Was fun though......I have you (PapaOU) some of the items we discussed the other day...

papaOU
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
We shopped at the 74th location and Commerce. I don't really remember going to the 29th and May location. The only other store was on the N.W. Highway west of Portland (I think it was Portland.). Not a good experience. Sales people were awful.

Generals64
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
We shopped at the 74th location and Commerce. I don't really remember going to the 29th and May location. The only other store was on the N.W. Highway west of Portland (I think it was Portland.). Not a good experience. Sales people were awful.
63rd and N.W. Highway was the last store I managed for TG&Y before ging to the Corporate Office on N.W. 36th and Santa Fe. The guy that ran it before I got the store was too worried about his image and not involved in running the store. The customer may not always be right but, without them spending their money the stores don't function too well.

Prunepicker
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Spy vs Spy!
One of the first things I'd look for!
And "Marginal Thinking!" Sergio Aragones was a genius!
Let's not forget "Don Martin".

Prunepicker
10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Mr. Price was the Manager at #411 (74th & Penn) and Mr. Kelly #415 (29th &
May) was the manager there. As far as pricing that part was not true. Both
of these guys were fierce competitors and the object of the game was to
make more Bottom Line Money than the other. The 29th st. Store came out
of the Gate a little stronger as people realized what TG&Y was attempting to
do.
I remember the super Remington .22 automatic rifle that store 411 had for a
ridiculously low price. $20? Anyway there were a bunch of guys at the store
when it opened for biz. Dad bought one at the regular price of $59.

I also remember that not every TG&Y had the same things on sale.

gen70
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
My first wife bought me a Remington WingMaster 12 Gauge at the T.G.&Y. store in Moore about 1976-77 (I think) Got stolen around about 1979-80....I just wonder where that gun is now? If anyone knows please let me know -no questions asked.

Prunepicker
10-11-2009, 10:24 PM
My first wife bought me a Remington WingMaster 12 Gauge at the T.G.&Y.
store in Moore about 1976-77 (I think) Got stolen around about 1979-80...
I just wonder where that gun is now? If anyone knows please let me know
-no questions asked.
My first shotgun was a Mossberg .410 purchased at TG&Y #411! Gen64 will
appreciate that. Come to think of it, I think everything we bought in the
60's came from #411! LOL

I've still got it and it's in near mint condition! You should see my Winchester
Model 12 made in 1922. Incredible. I don't remember what Dad did to get it
but it was bartered/swapped/traded at a barber shop in Chickasha @ 1967.
The man had 100's of guns and they are all sitting in cradles around his
barber shop and the place next door. It almost looked like J.M. Davis' place
in Claremore.

gen70
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
My first shotgun was a Mossberg .410 purchased at TG&Y #411! Gen64 will
appreciate that. Come to think of it, I think everything we bought in the
60's came from #411! LOL

I've still got it and it's in near mint condition! You should see my Winchester
Model 12 made in 1922. Incredible. I don't remember what Dad did to get it
but it was bartered/swapped/traded at a barber shop in Chickasha @ 1967.
The man had 100's of guns and they are all sitting in cradles around his
barber shop and the place next door. It almost looked like J.M. Davis' place
in Claremore. My first -gun-was a Mossberg 12 guage bolt action-probably bought at T.G.&Y. by my Dad.

Generals64
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
My first -gun-was a Mossberg 12 guage bolt action-probably bought at T.G.&Y. by my Dad.

I put my wife through College Trading Guns. My mother-in-law just couldn't imagine how we were making it with her going to school.....I got my first .22 when I was three (3) years old....Still have it...I'll bring it the the meeting for old nostalgic item. My grandfather thught his first grandson should ALWAYS be prepared. Later on in life I was told I couldn't bring my gun on a cub scout over night camping trip.......Man I was shooting at 3....I could walk the perimeter for them....still didn't get to take the gun.... It is a Springfield "CrackShot" my Grandfather bought New for $2.00 in the early part of the twentieth century....

Prunepicker
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
... I got my first .22
when I was three (3) years old... Still have it... I'll bring it the the meeting for
old nostalgic item...
Make sure that Coit's is good with it being there!

papaOU
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Make sure that Coit's is good with it being there!

Make sure if you do bring it that there are nothing on your persons that would show you are a Grant Grad!!

Now if you were a CHHS grad they would not get upset because they know we can take them out with just one shot.

My first gun was a H&R 16ga. single shot. It got stolen in the mid-70's. I miss it. My last was a WingMaster 12ga. It got stolen as well. Have not replaced it because I have no place to hunt with regularity.

Funny! Both guns were stolen while I was living in MWC.

oneforone
10-13-2009, 12:53 AM
What part of the world did you live in?....If you are here in OKC, I'll check the magical van and see if there is one in there....let me know....Generals 64

I live in Midwest City. All though that would be nice... You don't have go to any extreme effort on my part. I just always thought that truck was cool. I saw one on ebay a few days ago. Somebody was selling one from Guthrie.

Say do you remember the Santa Claus Letters from TG&Y. I remember I got like three or four of them while I was little. I think my mom has them in a scrap book somewhere. I remember being so exicted that Santa replied back to my letter.

RealJimbo
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Had a Snafu on my computer.....Both stores were open in 1964. I worked at both of them when each of then first opened. Mr. Price was the Manager at #411 (74th & Penn) and Mr. Kelly #415 (29th & May) was the manager there. As far as pricing that part was not true. Both of these guys were fierce competitors and the object of the game was to make more Bottom Line Money than the other. The 29th st. Store came out of the Gate a little stronger as people realized what TG&Y was attempting to do. Now, you have to remember there were 52 stores in the OKC Metro area. Most of them were Small Variety Stores. Mr. Kelly is still at it with Kelly's Variety and Mr. Price passed away about 15 years ago. They both ran about a 32% profit Margin....The higher ups wouldn't let them go any lower. They did in certain areas but there were ways to cover (bad Retail Word) the lower prices........We (74th st.) battled the Economy Square store every day however......Was fun though......I have you (PapaOU) some of the items we discussed the other day...

Mr. Kelly as in Jim Kelly? Mr. Price as in H.O. Price? So is there still a Kelly's Variety somewhere? I remember "coverage" and how hated it was around the HQ. #411 had an edge in that it was so spread out, I've heard stories of moving inventory around while the crew was counting and some of it was counted several times. Just a rumor....heh heh. But shrinkage was such an issue that many a manager had to somehow manufacture some coverage. I remember being roped into working inventory in a store by RGIS (on the side) and finding several "stackouts" that were built over tote boxes that made the stacks look like they were solid although they were built around "shams". I felt bad for the store crew because the RGIS crew really gave them a hard time about it.

Generals64
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Mr. Kelly as in Jim Kelly? Mr. Price as in H.O. Price? So is there still a Kelly's Variety somewhere? I remember "coverage" and how hated it was around the HQ. #411 had an edge in that it was so spread out, I've heard stories of moving inventory around while the crew was counting and some of it was counted several times. Just a rumor....heh heh. But shrinkage was such an issue that many a manager had to somehow manufacture some coverage. I remember being roped into working inventory in a store by RGIS (on the side) and finding several "stackouts" that were built over tote boxes that made the stacks look like they were solid although they were built around "shams". I felt bad for the store crew because the RGIS crew really gave them a hard time about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes as in Jim Kelly and he has a Store (kelly's Variety) inside Old Paris now. He and Dan had about five stores at one time. Yes as in H.O. Price....He gave me my first job....bout killed me when he passed away....Still think of him Everyday of my life....Coverage as you well know was simply a way to cover your backside on missed Inventory. Pricce was taught by Henderson and was told to always call in his "Penny" Book. If you were ever around the stores in the 60's there were a lot a tricks played. Price never added to the value or moved things around but I knew some of them that did. If you come to the meeting sometime, we'll talk about it. The last inventory I had came up 3% short while others were coming up 10-18% short....Guess who got in trouble?????See ya next time......................

skyrick
10-13-2009, 06:58 PM
One of the first things I'd look for!
And "Marginal Thinking!" Sergio Aragones was a genius!
Let's not forget "Don Martin".

Also let's not forget the back cover fold-in!

Rick

MikeOKC
10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Remember Mike Henry? Where is he now?

Generals64
10-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Remember Mike Henry? Where is he now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Talked about him last week. Thought it was you. The last time I talked with Mike he was working at Hemisphere's for David Green. He is a good guy....or he was....it's been a while since I saw or talked with him.

papaOU
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Talked about him last week. Thought it was you. The last time I talked with Mike he was working at Hemisphere's for David Green. He is a good guy....or he was....it's been a while since I saw or talked with him.

Is Switzer a partner in Hemisphere's? I know they have some stores in Texas :ou, but not sure about any other Oklahoma stores.

Generals64
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Is Switzer a partner in Hemisphere's? I know they have some stores in Texas :ou, but not sure about any other Oklahoma stores.
NO........David Green is THE main man...Hemisphere's is a division of Hobby Lobby/Mardel's/....Whatever else...

bluedogok
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I know they have some stores in Texas :ou, but not sure about any other Oklahoma stores.
They have quite a few in the DFW area and this year they opened up both a Mardel's and Hemisphere's down here in Cedar Park (far North Austin burb), my wife really likes Mardel's. Those are the first ones outside of Hobby Lobby in the Austin area. I have seen Mardel's in Houston, San Antonio and Midland as well.

Generals64
10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
They have quite a few in the DFW area and this year they opened up both a Mardel's and Hemisphere's down here in Cedar Park (far North Austin burb), my wife really likes Mardel's. Those are the first ones outside of Hobby Lobby in the Austin area. I have seen Mardel's in Houston, San Antonio and Midland as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Green is and always has been a "Master Mind" in The retail part of business....He does his thing and the right thing. A little tough sometimes but it seems to always work. Proud to say I have known him since '65....

bluedogok
10-14-2009, 05:20 PM
My mother went to school with him, I think they graduated the same year. In the forward of his book he talks about an aunt of ours who was in the toy dept. at a store in Altus (where they grew up) which I think was TG&Y and how that impacted his desire to be a retailer.

RealJimbo
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
My mother went to school with him, I think they graduated the same year. In the forward of his book he talks about an aunt of ours who was in the toy dept. at a store in Altus (where they grew up) which I think was TG&Y and how that impacted his desire to be a retailer.

David Green has a book?

Generals64
10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
David Green has a book?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you just wake up?.....His is like Mr. Young or Sam Walton's book. Worth reading especially since YOU know him....

RealJimbo
10-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll get one. Name? I have two copies of "Making of a Merchant". One has Mr. Young's autograph. I idolized that man. He was a class act, as was Mr. Braun and Dan Kelly. One very stressful day I had stopped in to the HQ cafeteria for a cup of coffee to clear my head and Mr. Kelly just walked by and patted me on the shoulder. He never knew how much that little gesture meant to me at the time.

Generals64
10-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll get one. Name? I have two copies of "Making of a Merchant". One has Mr. Young's autograph. I idolized that man. He was a class act, as was Mr. Braun and Dan Kelly. One very stressful day I had stopped in to the HQ cafeteria for a cup of coffee to clear my head and Mr. Kelly just walked by and patted me on the shoulder. He never knew how much that little gesture meant to me at the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the Kelly's started opening stores, I help them on a couple of them...It was tough because they were two great merchants. Mr. Young Gave me his copy of his book, signed it....then he LET me buy his lunch. Man was worth Millions but he said it would be good for me to buy his lunch on that day. He died just a few months later.....You can get one of David's books at any Hobby Lobby..

RealJimbo
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Over the years, I bought many a bargain while I worked for T.G.&Y. I always worked in the HQ office and we got to order out of the warehouse or direct from manufacturers at cost. I once bought more than my paycheck could cover, so it went to the next check. Their system made them write me a check, though, so I got a check for $.35. I kept that check for years and told a guy who was once corporate controller about it at one of the reuions. He said why, you S.O.B.! You kept my books from balancing all those years! Joke of course. I bought cowboy boots from Acme and Justin, wheels from American Racing Wheels, engine candy (chrome and aluminum alloy stuff) from Mickey Thompson and others, tires from Dayton, and all kinds of Christmas decorating stuff, camping stuff, and of course everyday household stuff. I saved a fortune. And we had a store in the HQ where buyers' samples were sold. I bought a Gold Star microwave for $25 (my daughter still has it and it works), 2 family-sized tents, each for $20, tools, tool boxes, and some one-of-a-kind hand-made samples like a tire inflator that plugs into a cigarette lighter (I still use that all the time). There were so many benefits to working for T.G.&Y., but the one biggest benefit was just working there. I loved it the whole time.

normanite
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
WOW, I think its wild that TG@Y is that dearly missed. I know I miss the place, that place and OTASCO. But those were my childhood memories.

I used to think TG@Y stood for toys, games and yo-yos.

Man this forum is awesome, I just discovered it and will be back many more times. I have been reading a lot of these long topics, ones with like ten or more pages. Thanks fellow Okies for the great memories. Keep it going!

Generals64
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
WOW, I think its wild that TG@Y is that dearly missed. I know I miss the place, that place and OTASCO. But those were my childhood memories.

I used to think TG@Y stood for toys, games and yo-yos.

Man this forum is awesome, I just discovered it and will be back many more times. I have been reading a lot of these long topics, ones with like ten or more pages. Thanks fellow Okies for the great memories. Keep it going!

================================================== ===========
Hey Normanite:....go to the Southside Memories ....get you a Coke and a bag of Popcorn....it is 100 pages long......You can go back on about 6 sets of threads on this thread...We have a good time.....

Generals64
11-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Any of you guys or gals remember the Sporting Goods department at the T.G.&Y. Store on 74th and South Penn?????I started that department many years ago....(1965)....Any stories to help me jog my memories????

Prunepicker
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Any of you guys or gals remember the Sporting Goods department at the
T.G.&Y. Store on 74th and South Penn?I started that department many years
ago... (1965)... Any stories to help me jog my memories?
I remember a super door buster! A really nice Remington .22 rifle for $15 or
$20 to the first customer. Dad bought one for my brother for @$50 that day.
I think we still have parts of it.

There was always a sale or gimmick to get us into the sporting goods
department. It was like the newspapers ads were all focused at my Dad.
"Whoa! Look at what's on sale at TG&Y. I need another tackle box!"

RealJimbo
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Any of you guys or gals remember the Sporting Goods department at the T.G.&Y. Store on 74th and South Penn?????I started that department many years ago....(1965)....Any stories to help me jog my memories????

My cousin (he has the same last name, 64) retired a few years ago from OCPD as a Major. He and I are the same age. He worked security there many times and bought many a personal firearm there. You most likely know him. Works for the federal gov't. now.

papaOU
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Which was the last store to close its doors? The last one in okc metro?

Generals64
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Which was the last store to close its doors? The last one in okc metro?

That's a semi-loaded Question Papa:.....The last store in OKC was probably the store at 74th st.. The others were turned into a Bargain type store....didn't fly. However, there was a TG&Y store still opened after the stores in OKC closed. McCrory's kept dragging their feet (good business) on the stores that were still profitable......That store was in New Mexico (Santa Fe)...There is still a store on I-40 (Rt. 66) in Grants New Mexico....I (being in Salvage) bought all of the fixtures, desks etc. at the main office on 36th & Santa Fe.....I can't remember the exact year on that.....I know I got a copying machine worth thousands of dollars (help me out Jimbo....you know the machine) for almost Nothing....$5.00....

RealJimbo
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
That's a semi-loaded Question Papa:.....The last store in OKC was probably the store at 74th st.. The others were turned into a Bargain type store....didn't fly. However, there was a TG&Y store still opened after the stores in OKC closed. McCrory's kept dragging their feet (good business) on the stores that were still profitable......That store was in New Mexico (Santa Fe)...There is still a store on I-40 (Rt. 66) in Grants New Mexico....I (being in Salvage) bought all of the fixtures, desks etc. at the main office on 36th & Santa Fe.....I can't remember the exact year on that.....I know I got a copying machine worth thousands of dollars (help me out Jimbo....you know the machine) for almost Nothing....$5.00....

If it was from the office, it was a Xerox, because that's all the brass would let us buy. We had a big sale over a matter of about a week in September of 1986. We sold stuff for crazy cheap prices. A lot of it was hand-made furniture that the guys at CFC had built out of the best materials available.

By the time you bought all the stuff that was left, it was probably mostly those Cole and Steelcraft desks that would withstand a nuclear attack.

A bit of trivia, while I lived in the Tulsa area (1989 - 1996), the "new guys" opened a T.G.&Y. Store inside Eastland Mall. It was really odd, like they were trying a "new concept" or something. It wasn't there long. It was about like the variety store that was in Shepard Mall.