View Full Version : T.G.&Y. Stores:Gone but not forgotten

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

grantgeneral78
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trick Question?????...TG&Y called their T.V.'s Golden T...But, I think there was a name on them before that. I know they had a Wagon named TG&Y's Radio Flyer...I still have one of them....and your Gyroscope.....Got me on the other....

Finally I got you instead of you getting me......they were called chromacolor II

:poke:

Generals64
01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Finally I got you instead of you getting me......they were called chromacolor II

:poke:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're right.....Why aren't you at work today...the roads are iced up where I'm supposed to go...Four-Wheel Drive on the ice is no good.....O.K., I've got to redeem myself so, the name of the model company and the name of the glue/model paint was what?...Also, why did they pull the glue from just being sold on the counter???
Name of the toythat you could build skyscrapers with?....The sick boy (Prunepicker) should know this one first...

grantgeneral78
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;195260]------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're right.....Why aren't you at work today...the roads are iced up where I'm supposed to go...Four-Wheel Drive on the ice is no good.....O.K., I've got to redeem myself so, the name of the model company and the name of the glue/model paint was what?...Also, why did they pull the glue from just being sold on the counter???
Name of the toythat you could build skyscrapers with?....The sick boy (Prunepicker) should know this one first...[/QU

I can see the tube it was red and white but dangit cant think of the name of it , the reason it was taken off kids were sniffing it to get high.

and erector set is what your looking for

danielf1935
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
One of my first pets was a small turtle that my mom bought at TG&Y, it had a small, plastic bowl/dish with s slide and umbrella, I think it lived a few weeks.

Generals64
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
One of my first pets was a small turtle that my mom bought at TG&Y, it had a small, plastic bowl/dish with s slide and umbrella, I think it lived a few weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in the early 60's you can't imagine how many of those would come in dead and boy was there an odor....No, there was a rotten smell. One time I ordered a bunch of Fish etc. direct from Florida...They were more than half of what we were giving from our normal supplier....I convinced another manager to go in with me and he could have the Parrot that came free with the $250.00 order. That was a lot of fish...The guy thought he was so cool...He wouldn't pay any attention to the instructions and that Parrott also bit his forefinger OFF before we could get a glove in there (I'm laughing right now). The parrot never was tamed down...I saw on the news a few months later about some sighting a parrott on the south side of town and they tried to catch it....Mean Parrott....My friend turned it loose and the guy (idiot) that tried to catch the parrott was looking to sue someone for his dr. bills....

We went fishing one time before work and had a minnow bucket full of Minnows left. So, in my ingenious way I put them in an aquarium and had a special of Silver Ghost tropical fish......3/$1.00....Sold them everyone boy did I think I had done good....About three days later people started coming in telling to be careful with thos Silver Ghost as they had eaten ALL of their high dollar Tropical Fish......First time I told this story.....

Steve
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I've posted an item on this topic at Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com) (not affiliated with The Oklahoman).

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I've posted an item on this topic at Welcome to OKCHistory.com (http://www.okchistory.com) (not affiliated with The Oklahoman).

The report is Real Close....Knew Mr. Young personally and very well. Mr. Young remained on as Chairman of the board and he guided Mr. Henderson through the beginnings of the development of the Family center concept. The store at 74th & S. Penn was the pinnacle of the stores but, we (TG&Y) were not quite ready for something this large. But, It worked and the company began to grow dramatically. When this showed to be the direction to go it they (TG&Y) decided to develop what was called the "Expanded Variety" store and the mix (Merchandise) was "Cherry Picked" and many things were added to the Variety store that was 4,500 Sq. ft or larger up to 10,000 sq.ft.....(Was there).....Did many of the remodels.

There was a Kresge store in the old Penn Square Shopping Center (Before mall status). David Green (Hobby Lobby) was the first TG&Y store manager in that store and was solely responsible for the development of that store (with fountain still in tact). Ralph Thompson and W.H. Haskell were the Supervisor and District manger for that store.
Right about Mr. Tomlinson "Ducking" out of the partnetshi[p....He died in 1937 or 1938. His brother and Nephew are developers in the Moore area today.....
Mr. Gosselin was never real active in the development of the stores but you would see his "Smiling" political face quite frequently. Great Guy....

AIM hurt....but didn't kill TG&Y. When people began running the company that didn't have their heart in it is when the company started slipping. If you are from this area you should remember the remodel of the Family Centers in the OKC district. This was an attempt to save face over AIM and an attempt to get more current with TARGET and Wal-Mart.....Worked for a while

When TG&Y began dying we were buying for 1140 stores (1986)....was there....6 warehouses across the country.

Mr. Young was a gentleman and a Scholar...Miss him greatly. Had lunch with him 6 weeks before he died and he gave me his copy of the making of a merchant...dog-earred and sign...What a guy....

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM

The report is Real Close....Knew Mr. Young personally and very well. Mr. Young remained on as Chairman of the board and he guided Mr. Henderson through the beginnings of the development of the Family center concept. The store at 74th & S. Penn was the pinnacle of the stores but, we (TG&Y) were not quite ready for something this large. But, It worked and the company began to grow dramatically. When this showed to be the direction to go it they (TG&Y) decided to develop what was called the "Expanded Variety" store and the mix (Merchandise) was "Cherry Picked" and many things were added to the Variety store that was 4,500 Sq. ft or larger up to 10,000 sq.ft.....(Was there).....Did many of the remodels.

There was a Kresge store in the old Penn Square Shopping Center (Before mall status). David Green (Hobby Lobby) was the first TG&Y store manager in that store and was solely responsible for the development of that store (with fountain still in tact). Ralph Thompson and W.H. Allen were the Supervisor and District manger for that store.
Right about Mr. Tomlinson "Ducking" out of the partnetshi[p....He died in 1937 or 1938. His brother and Nephew are developers in the Moore area today.....
Mr. Gosselin was never real active in the development of the stores but you would see his "Smiling" political face quite frequently. Great Guy....

AIM hurt....but didn't kill TG&Y. When people began running the company that didn't have their heart in it is when the company started slipping. If you are from this area you should remember the remodel of the Family Centers in the OKC district. This was an attempt to save face over AIM and an attempt to get more current with TARGET and Wal-Mart.....Worked for a while

When TG&Y began dying we were buying for 1140 stores (1986)....was there....6 warehouses across the country.

Mr. Young was a gentleman and a Scholar...Miss him greatly. Had lunch with him 6 weeks before he died and he gave me his copy of the making of a merchant...dog-earred and sign...What a guy....

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Ok 64 your repeating yourself! hahaha

Generals64
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok 64 your repeating yourself! hahaha

oops:. kinda touchy about Mr. Young and I'm getting too old

Steve
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
General, any chance of you contributing to the OKC History article? I'd need to use your real name though... email me at steve@okchistory.com

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 07:52 PM
here ya go 64.....

http://http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/1603214443_189d05554b.jpg?v=0

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/1603214443_189d05554b.jpg?v=0

oops

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.transistor.org/collection/tgy/tgy5transistor.jpg

Ok last one I promise.

gen70
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.transistor.org/collection/tgy/tgy5transistor.jpg

Ok last one I promise.

Keep em comming 78.

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Keep em comming 78.

Ok Gen 70 I will post some more.

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
TG&Y in Lawrence kansas

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/tgy-az.jpg

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/tgylawrence.jpg

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.amachron.com/TGY_ade.jpg

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_P90GnCCv1oI/R9C3xj7aQwI/AAAAAAAAA4I/KkKzXGLXI_c/s400/TGY%2BStar%2BWars.jpg

gen70
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
TG&Y in Lawrence kansas

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/tgy-az.jpg

Thanks 78! I wish I had some of those cars and that truck from the picture.

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
You and me both brother!

FRISKY
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
^^^ I was thinking the same thing.

Martin
01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
anyone have addresses for those above building pics? -M

USG '60
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Testor's?

Generals64
01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
anyone have addresses for those above building pics? -M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
One of them is in Lawrence, Kansas the one of the others looks like one in Tulsa. There is a former TG&Y manager in Sand Springs, Oklahoma that carried on the TG&Y name. I'm not sure if he is open still but, it was in a former TG&Y building....the whole thing. I wish I knew how to post pictures like '78's I really have some old ones.....Still lots of memories.

FRISKY
01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Testor's?I'm pretty sure I still have some old bottles of Testor's paint from the 1960s...dried up no doubt.

Martin
01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
one of them is in lawrence, kansas the one of the others looks like one in tulsa. there is a former tg&y manager in sand springs, oklahoma that carried on the tg&y name.

thanks! i was hoping some of those were in okc... -M

Generals64
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks! i was hoping some of those were in okc... -M
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some old TG&Y pictures if you want or need them i'll make you copies....As you can tell TG&Y was a passion to me all through the years....

Generals64
02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Posted on the SOUTHSIDE MEMORIES thread I posted an old TG&Y memory about someone in their infinite wisdom decided to have a TURKEY DROP (from a helicopter) on the 74th & Penn parking lot...Pen-Raised Turkeys' don't really know haw to fly..... Get the picture????Those that did fly ran off and those that didn't made a mess on the parking lot.....At least someone was trying.
Or, how about the Rodeo held on the parking lot...does anyone out there remember that?

FRISKY
02-03-2009, 05:55 AM
They did a WKRP episode about it:
YouTube - WKRP turkey drop scene Happy Thanksgiving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iafzqOCaxA4)

Generals64
02-03-2009, 06:02 AM
They did a WKRP episode about it:
YouTube - WKRP turkey drop scene Happy Thanksgiving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iafzqOCaxA4)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

that was as funny as seeing the real thing.....I felt sorry for theTurkey's and for the people that thought up the promotion......

gen70
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Anybody remember the rodeo grounds behind the A&W on Western? I think the JC's had something to do with it. I played football and baseball for them at that site.

gen70
02-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Anybody remember the rodeo grounds behind the A&W on Western? I think the JC's had something to do with it. I played football and baseball for them at that site.

Sorry! I shoulda put this on southside memories. Although there was a T.G.&Y. across the street in Southwestern Plaza.

Generals64
02-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry! I shoulda put this on southside memories. Although there was a T.G.&Y. across the street in Southwestern Plaza.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I remember now,,,But, I had truly forgotten that location.....I always wanted to be the Cowboy...but, I learned that if you have 150 head of cattle they expect to be fed EVERY DAY......And, you have to break the ice for their water in the Winter and Spray them for flies in the Summer....And you sometimes get to help deliver the calves and use a horse to get things gather....you see what I mean don't you?

MonkeyBiz6903
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Frisky:....one question:....were you the guys that set my trash bin on fire at 59th and Penn??????

I thought the inside of the 59th and penn, store burned about Christmas 65? I remember being alarmed, that I wouldnt get a Johnny Seven OMA. Cause they might have been burned up.:omg:

Generals64
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought the inside of the 59th and penn, store burned about Christmas 65? I remember being alarmed, that I wouldnt get a Johnny Seven OMA. Cause they might have been burned up.:omg:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope, I was there in '65 and '6....then '69 - 71 good llittle store but no fire.....sorry if Santa Claus storied to you though.....

MonkeyBiz6903
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
No I got the OMA. That was a nice little store. Economy Square was my favorite tho. They had everything we needed from lawn mower parts to guns an ammo. If they didnt have it OTASCO did.

gen70
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I remember now,,,But, I had truly forgotten that location.....I always wanted to be the Cowboy...but, I learned that if you have 150 head of cattle they expect to be fed EVERY DAY......And, you have to break the ice for their water in the Winter and Spray them for flies in the Summer....And you sometimes get to help deliver the calves and use a horse to get things gather....you see what I mean don't you?

Yo 64! The property is still vacant except for a pumping unit and is fenced in. I worked on a ranch out by Tuttle when I was about 14, ain't much fun working on cattle ranch. Ya go to work at sunup and quit at sundown.

Generals64
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Yo 64! The property is still vacant except for a pumping unit and is fenced in. I worked on a ranch out by Tuttle when I was about 14, ain't much fun working on cattle ranch. Ya go to work at sunup and quit at sundown.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we moved back from Texas....I told the wife I didn't want anything that was too large with a push lawnmower....When we lived in Texas to ride a horse was the beginning of going to work... Now, 80 acres and three horses later....I'm asking myself what's going on dummy?????Still enjoy messing with the horses......Now, the Cattle are next...Dummy in my shoes or boots.....

MonkeyBiz6903
02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I still have a TG&Y lawn mower. you're best buy is at TGY

oneforone
02-05-2009, 12:47 AM
My parents have a TG&Y 8-Track deck hooked up to their bedroom stereo. and Yes, it still works.

gen70
02-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I'am getting off the T.G.&Y. theme a little but, I bought my first tapedeck which was of all things a 4-track at a place on N.W. 10th & Penn. across from the AMC. Does anyone remember the name?

MonkeyBiz6903
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I'am getting off the T.G.&Y. theme a little but, I bought my first tapedeck which was of all things a 4-track at a place on N.W. 10th & Penn. across from the AMC. Does anyone remember the name?

Muntz?

Redskins/General
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Stereo City: Bought my first tape deck there and they installed it!!!!!!!!!

Redskins/General
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Stereo City: Bought my first tape deck there and they installed it!!!!!!!!!
Mine was a 4 track tape player which most people don't remember. I bought one on Ebay here while back and I have a box full of 4 track tapes. Not a big deal, just a little bit unusual!!

gen70
02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Stereo City: Thanks R/G! I think they quit making those 4-tracks about a month after I bought mine.

gen70
02-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Got my first CB at the 74th & Penn. T.G.&Y. store about 1976.

sandiawest
02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Reading these posts takes me back. My first "real" job was working the stockroom at the 44th & Western store. Worked my way up through toys and then sporting goods (the "crown gem"). Worked the store at 59th and May before going into the Air Force in 1982 and one of my brothers worked the 74th & Penn store.

While I have a ton of great memories working there I always think back to standing in front of the literal wall of models and paints at the store on 74th & Penn. That store was just down the street (89th & Penn) and we were always going in there (or John A Brown's) for something.

At one time I'd been to TG&Y stores in OKC, Fredrick, Clinton, and Altus. By the time I left the Air Force there wasn't one to be found. Seeing a part of my childhood simply wink out of existence like that was kind of depressing. I made a trip up to OKC for Christmas (living in Dallas now) and it was depressing to see a cookie cutter layout of mini-Wal Marts with a CVS and Walgreen pharmacy every five feet.

On the flip side, I was driving out to California in 1992 and found an open TG&Y operating in Flagstaff of all places. Wondering now if it's still around.

Generals64
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Digging through some Junk today...Remember the old Kaleidoscope? I remember looking through one of those forever...Paid twenty-nine cents for it .....17 pop bottles to pay the tax....Funny how we as kids would locate something at TG&Y and do whatever it took to get the money to buy the toys we wanted...Not today....Hey Dad (Grandpa) where's your credit card.......I want a $450.00 bike...........

danielf1935
02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I've collected hotwheels for over 20 years, I have several still in the package with the TG&Y price sticker still on them, priced anywhere from 29 to 63 cents.

Generals64
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I've collected hotwheels for over 20 years, I have several still in the package with the TG&Y price sticker still on them, priced anywhere from 29 to 63 cents.

Come to the next Saturday gathering and I'll give you a mismarked packaged Hot Wheels car. It's packaged as a 1980 Corvette but is really a 1984....From TG&Y....

gen70
02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
In the 60's my family lived on S. Klein about five houses down from 74th, that's right at Western. I used to start walking down 74th before it was paved and pick up pop bottles to get the deposit and buy stuff at T.G.&Y..

Generals64
02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
In the 60's my family lived on S. Klein about five houses down from 74th, that's right at Western. I used to start walking down 74th before it was paved and pick up pop bottles to get the deposit and buy stuff at T.G.&Y..
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Two Cents per bottle and twenty-five cents for the case. There used to be a place (by the airport) wher the older kids went to park. On Fridays and Saturday nights they would leave literally hundreds of pop bottles. My sister had a car and for 1/2 she would take me out there and to go sell the bottles. I remember one Christmas times were a little short and my mom was worried about Christmas money. I took her to the Honey Hole and that's how she bought a lot Christmas that year....

gen70
02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
That's a cool story 64. I used to return pop bottles then go over to Safeway and buy a quart of Craigmont cola. Those were the days.

DaveSkater
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Awesome thread!

My mom bought an entire CASE of the full sized GI. Joes when they went out of business. For the next several years, we gave them to all my friends for their birthdays, christmas etc...

I remember not wanting to play with the german GI JOE versions. Now it turns out they're worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars each!!!

Generals64
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Sometime in the late 60's...I think the Winter of '68.......My sister-in-law and
a bunch of her friends went to some Church in Del City and got caught up in the big snow storm. My mother-in-law sent us (Father-in-law and I) out looking for them...We intended up staying in the Unit Parts building playing Poker all night. Only to find out that my Sister-in-law and her friends stayed in the TG&Y store at 44th and S.E. Bryant with the store manager....David Green (Hobby Lobby owner) since they were All snowed in......That store is now an Apache Indian Bingo Parlor.

Generals64
02-13-2009, 05:23 AM
TOMLINSON, GOSSELIN, AND YOUNG...the true name of this old dying horse. But, almost everyone had another name for the stores and the laughter would begin. What was your favorite one?

"for you dollar's best buy.....Try TG&Y."

1. Turtles, Girdles and Yo-yo's
2. Toys Guns and Yo-yo's

Any more??????Surely someone has deeper memories from accidentally taking a piece of penny candy or being a stockboy and eating so much Chocolate covered peanuts that now they make you sick to look at them.....How about you.....Remember that bottle of model paint you had to have but didn't have the ten cents to get it?

gen70
02-13-2009, 06:30 AM
TOMLINSON, GOSSELIN, AND YOUNG...the true name of this old dying horse. But, almost everyone had another name for the stores and the laughter would begin. What was your favorite one?

"for you dollar's best buy.....Try TG&Y."

1. Turtles, Girdles and Yo-yo's
2. Toys Guns and Yo-yo's

Any more??????Surely someone has deeper memories from accidentally taking a piece of penny candy or being a stockboy and eating so much Chocolate covered peanuts that now they make you sick to look at them.....How about you.....Remember that bottle of model paint you had to have but didn't have the ten cents to get it? I got a good one 64. When I worked for Central Repair in the late 70's I was working on some lights at the store on N.W. 39th & St Clair, up on a ladder. I had to work on the lights with the power on which was usually no big deal. Well... I'am on the ladder working and there's women pushing their carts around shopping when I get into a hot wire, shocking the fire outa me. I fell off the ladder to the floor scattering tools and parts. I was laying on the floor hurt alittle, embarassed and I'am cussing like a sailor. So I decide to pack up my stuff and leave for the day. So I'am driving down the street and I get to thinking, ya know those women in the store who saw me fall didn't know that I had got the hell shocked outa me they probably just thought I was some dumbass who fell off a ladder. I laughed for ten minutes after that.

Generals64
02-13-2009, 06:32 AM
I got a good one 64. When I worked for Central Repair in the late 70's I was working on some lights at the store on N.W. 39th & St Clair, up on a ladder. I had to work on the lights with the power on which was usually no big deal. Well... I'am on the ladder working and there's women pushing their carts around shopping when I get into a hot wire, shocking the fire outa me. I fell off the ladder to the floor scattering tools and parts. I was laying on the floor hurt alittle, embarassed and I'am cussing like a sailor. So I decide to pack up my stuff and leave for the day. So I'am driving down the street and I get to thinking, ya know those women in the store who saw me fall didn't know that I had got the hell shocked outa me they probably just thought I was some dumbass who fell off a ladder. I laughed for ten minutes after that.
Be a store manager trying to change a Ballast and have the same thing happened and MOST of your help were Nazarene ladies. Spent about two weeks apologizing.

Generals64
02-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey Gen70:....here's a good one.....I ran the store at 59th & S. Penn for a few years. My pride and Joy. Anyway, a real attractive lady carrying a small (probably 16-18 months old) baby and she (the mother) was dressed above the call of TG&Y. Me, thought I was so acool immediately showed he managerial attention. I came up from the back of the lady and said "May I help you ma'am"? she was a bit startled and turn around real quick. Baby's hand on her blouse and not prepared for mom to turn started grabbing...things began to come out of the blouse that shouldn't have.....Ask (in stupidity and embarassment) if whe needed any help getting things arranged back and it just kept getting worse...