View Full Version : Lofts at the old downtown library??

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:33 AM
In case you didn't catch downtownguy's blog last Saturday, he predicted a new loft proposal for the old downtown library building in the upcoming year. Of course this is just one of downtownguy's predictions for the upcoming year, but I'd bet there's something behind the statement!

Luke
01-04-2005, 05:22 AM
I've never seen the old downtown library. But hey, the more housing downtown, the merrier!

Patrick
01-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Seems like it would work pretty well for apartments/lofts. It was a pretty square building. Seems like I'm bad with landmarks, but I believe the old library building was just east of the old Post Office Building downtown. I know I could find it easily if I were down there.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-04-2005, 12:00 PM
You are correct...and last I checked it was still there

Patrick
01-04-2005, 12:29 PM
We used to have our OCART meetings there. I believe the building has 4 floors. It would make a pretty nice smaller complex. Of course, windows would have to be carved out, but that shouldn't be a problem.

metro
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I think its bigger than that, I think it was part of a taller building wasnt it? Its in the core of downtown, a really good location

Midtowner
01-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I think the bottom floor could be used for retail, maybe the upper floors for residential.

Better yet, raze the thing, it's an eyesore. Better things could be done with that land.

floater
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Better yet, raze the thing, it's an eyesore. Better things could be done with that land.

I have to agree it is not a pretty building. Isn't close to Kerr McGee? Maybe they could take it over and use it as a corporate suite.

Luke
01-05-2005, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen it, but razing it for a new taller building is always a good idea in my opinion. As long as there's no historic significance.

Patrick
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, there's nothing special about the old downtown library. It is just 4 floors....but it's just a box. No loss if it were demolished.

metro, it is attached to a larger building next door...but there's no connection between the two buildings...they're just built close to each other.

Luke
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
What are the city's plans for the building?

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 09:51 PM
In my opinion, destroy the thing and plant some trees and you'll have an improvement. It's on Robinson around the Federal Court House area. Lots of very nice, old buildings there.. and then that.. box. Looks like someone poured some concrete into the shape of a box, cut out some windows and wrote "Library" on the side.

Patrick
01-06-2005, 10:01 PM
The new libary is definitely an improvement over the old one....that's for sure.

Luke, I'm unsure of the plans the city has for the building. In his blog, downtownguy hinted at a possible residential use for the building....but that was just a prediction for the upcoming year. Some of his predictions were realistic, but I also think he was dreaming a little on some of them. Knowing downtownguy though, he probably used some sound reasoning to come up with that.

metro
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
downtownguy, can you shed any more light into this situation. I am very interested in the residential opportunity. no sense demolishing it since there would more than likely not be a taller building built for a long time, we need all the downtown residential we can get.

Luke
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
It's times like this I wish I had a few million bucks lying around. :)

metro
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
get a loan

metro
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
i'll lend you the money if your credit/income is good enough, im a mortage broker

kielaaron
01-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Razing a building is always the final alternative... never the first. A primary rule of redevelopment is to use buildings for appropriate uses. If lofts won't work for the former library, don't put them in there.

The point is, a very important part of the revitalization of Downtown is to preserve what is there to retain its indigenous qualities. I'm by no means an eco-buff, but wasting resources is the last thing we want to start doing downtown... enough have been wasted down there in the 70's & 80's!

Luke
01-09-2005, 09:34 PM
So, perhaps a former library would be well-outfitted for, say, a Borders or Barnes & Noble (or Full Circle Bookstore).

The central business district, where the old library is, might be a good location for that. However, I think Bricktown might be better.

metro
01-09-2005, 09:52 PM
keilaaron you hit it right on the nail, im with you

Patrick
01-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Amen kielaaron! We need to preserve what we have. Sure, the library isn't that attractive of a building, but we need ot start our preservation efforts somewhere.

Midtowner
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I still think it's a waste of space.

I have a feeling that it'll be converted to office space though. Libraries have that nice open floorplan that is very popular in newer offices these days.

I've never been inside, but if it's anything like what I'm used to in university libraries, it'll convert very easily to office space.

Luke
01-10-2005, 04:26 PM
If it does, indeed, have an open floor-plan, which I imagine it would, it would be perfect for residential lofts.

Patrick
01-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Some parts of the building have open space. The lower floors where the books and periodicals were kept have an open floor plan. The upper floors have meeting rooms, so it wasn't as open of a floor plan. The building could probably be opened up though.

Midtowner
01-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I think the major challenge to turning the library into either residential or office space will be parking.

Patrick
01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Unless KerrMcGee would like to give up its lot behind the Tap Building.

Luke
01-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Where did people park when they went to the old downtown library? Just on the street?

Patrick
01-11-2005, 03:39 PM
You've got it! When we had our OCART (Oklahoma City Area Rapid Transit) meetings, Keith, I, and the others usually just parked on the street at parking meters. Of course that was at night, so there wasn't a lot of traffic down there.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 05:58 PM
The parking meter was invented in Oklahoma City. lol. Too bad we couldn't be known for anything useful.

windowphobe
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Well, there was the shopping cart.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, of coarse. Can't forget that, now can we?