View Full Version : How young is too young to get a body piercing?

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Okay, here's a new topic for this forum. Say your child wants a body piercing, like a navel ring, eye brow ring, tongue ring, cartilage (helix) ring, nose ring, etc. How young is too young to allow your child to have such a piercing? Minors are required to have parental presence to get a piercing. Would you approve of a body piercing? Would location matter? Just curious what your thoughts are on this issue.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-04-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm assuming that you're not including ears....I guess it depends on the part the child's wanting to get peirced. If it's a belly or perhaps the side of the nose, maybe 15ish is alright...if it's a more sensitive part (nipples for one) I'd say wait until 18...but then again I don't have any, so I'm not the authority on anything really....

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Oh....well ears would be included in the discussion...just not the more common ear lobe piercing...almost every girl has ear lobe piercings. I guess other ear piercings like cartilage/helix, tragus, etc. would be up for discussion as well.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Oh..you're talking the rest of the ear..well, I guess that would also be under the belly button age for my personal opinion...I'm really not sure why people want to do it in the first place.

mranderson
01-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Ear piercing for girls only is fine at any age. However, just one per ear. At age 16, she can do her navel. I would not allow any other part of the body to be done... Ever.

Guys. No. Piercings are for females only.

Keith
01-04-2005, 06:52 AM
I know when I was a teenager, only the "funny" guys had ear piercings, so they were not very popular back then (1977-1979). I have always threatened my wife that I would get an ear pierced so that I could put a diamond stud in it, however, I was "lovingly" told that if I had anything pierced, my family were disown me. No ifs, ands, or buts!!

My dad always told me that only girls wore earrings. He still feels that way today, however, I still haven't actually thought about it since I have grown up. Now, if my son wanted a piercing, the answer would be NO. When he is 18, he is free to do what he wants to do.

prerunner1982
01-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Facial piercings are not allowed in my house. Except ear lobes or a small stud or something in the cartiledge and tongue piercings... lebre, monroe, lip, noes and eyebrow are not allowed... same with tats... if it cant be covered then its a no no.. as far as age.. probably no younger than 16.

Patrick
01-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I probably wouldn't allow my children to get any piercings other than ear piercings. After age 16, I might allow other piercings on the ear, but nothing else. Other than that, they're free to do whatever they want after age 18.

I always thought it would be interesting to kiss someone with a tongue ring! But, I still really don't see the point.

Any ideas as to why teenagers like to pierce certain parts fo their body? Is it just the fad?

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
01-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I had my ears done as a baby.Then growing up in the 80's I did the thing so manby girls did pierced my ears all the way up I dont have it that way anymore.Just the two in the ears and my belly ring just cause its very sexy.I also got My tongue pierced a few years ago but took it out and let it heal last summer.I think its a phase alot of kids go through male and female.Mostly in the teen years.As well as tattoos.But I wouyld say if I had a daughter she would have her ears pierced as a baby.And later on we would have to discuss where andwhy she wats the others when we crossed that bridge.My son the 18 year old at 16 got his tongue pierced (he paid for it.)I wasnt really thrilled then recently he did his lip and had hi eyebrow done.Since then he has removed the tongue and let it heal as well as the lip and eyebrow one as well.Thats why I think its a phase.Anyhow He is now into the stright edge lifestyle for those of you that knows what that means Patrick im sure you do.Im very proud of him.But heres where I stand as long as I have a Good kid with a good heart that maintains good grades and develops into a well rounded man and citizen I wouldnt care if he died his hair green and was tatooed head to toe.Because you can never judge a book by the cover.

DD:rock_guit

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:06 PM
OneDivasDestiny, it's so awesome that you support your son no matter what! I know you're so proud of your son.....you have every right to be! I wish other parents would follow your example.

Midtowner
01-05-2005, 08:37 AM
I don't have any kids, but if I did, I would not support any piercings in male kids at all. Females, maybe after 16 or so, but just the ears.

I'd probably be like Keith's parents. You pierce your ears son, I hope you have a good job and can pay your own bills...

MasterWolf
01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I think ear piercings are alright when you are young, but as far as any other body piercings, I probrably say maybe 16 or 17 yrs old.

inksling
01-15-2005, 10:03 PM
if they are old enough to ask i say let them have at it. it is their body, right? the sharp used to puncture the hole is quite large. if they do not mind the pain of getting it then hey, maybe they will learn something about being responsible.