View Full Version : Oklahoma River new project

Pages : [1] 2

metro
11-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I know something you don't know................. More info in the coming weeks or sooner if I get permission. I'll also see if I can get some potential renderings but right now things are in the design stage. Hint, it's not a new building but upgrades to the river area.

Luke
11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Probably a new park or park improvements with an amphitheater and a boat dock.

betts
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
More trees would be nice, especially along the fence so they block the less attractive parts south of Bricktown. I'd put a bunch ofrelatively fast growing pines or cedars in there.

TStheThird
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
It would be great if the river banks in the key areas were not just sloping rocks. Really makes it look like a drainage ditch.

jbrown84
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
They need to bury the powerlines that run alone the north side.

Jesseda
11-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Hint. Its beginning to look a lot like christmas

JakeZula
11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
What could the river project be?

Supposedly, that rip-rap will eventually be replaced with a grassy, landscaped terrace.

I also heard speculation about a floating stage for concerts and other performances, but that was always in association with a riverside amphitheater (which I think is a kick-ass idea).

Perhaps they're in the planning stages for the dock at Stockyards City?

Luke
11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Something to do with the Christmas boat parade?

jbrown84
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM

More lighting on the bridges hopefully.

Luke
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
More lighting on the bridges hopefully.

Ah, that makes some sense.

metro
11-07-2008, 10:24 PM

No, this has nothing to do with the "new improvements" I'm hinting at. I'm willing to bet most of the media doesn't even know about this yet. You're talking about the annual Holiday Parade which I believe is the day after thanksgiving this year. None of the other guesses are near correct either. Keep guessing.

rjstone208
11-08-2008, 08:21 AM
How about one or more of the new boathouses to be built by OCU and OU? I've seen design renderings and knew they were supposed to start this year or next.

westsidesooner
11-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Keep guessing.

You are such a tease. So its not Christmas related, not a new building, not replacing the hideous rock shores....hmmmm. Last night I was thinking about new bridge lighting but I guess thats not it either.

How about expanding part of the river bank to make it more lake like.
or
Oh hell I dont know....the possibilities are endless....thanks for the excitement Metro...keep us informed.

Slivermoon
11-08-2008, 08:50 AM
The secret has already leaked out. It has something to do with water.

shane453
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Maybe the whitewater course that has been talked about for a couple years?

Karried
11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking trees.. hopefully, lots of trees.. but I'm not sure because this isn't the best time to plant new sapling trees is it? ( Freezing?)

Easy180
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
My guess is a boat house for the homeless

Doug Loudenback
11-08-2008, 10:06 AM
My guess is a boat house for the homeless... adjacent to a new McDonalds. :bright_id

wsucougz
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
A giant water filtration system.

Clock4869
11-08-2008, 10:36 AM
hmmm.. maybe a public bath? like a roman bathhouse... except on the river... now i'm glad i bought that borat mankini...the ladies will love me!

metro
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
How about one or more of the new boathouses to be built by OCU and OU? I've seen design renderings and knew they were supposed to start this year or next.

No, that is old news again. Again, I'm hinting at something (a project that is not a building) that has previously not been announced or discussed.

metro
11-08-2008, 06:58 PM
The secret has already leaked out. It has something to do with water.

Nope.

metro
11-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Nope.Again this is something that has previously not been announced or talked about. It isn't a major announcement and isn't a building. But it will be an added benefit to the river area. That's all I can say. Again folks, HINT: Not something previously discussed.

metro
11-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Nope. Again, Hint: not something that has previously been discussed.

rondvu
11-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Like a bridge over troubled water? A restaraunt maybe?

shane453
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
This forum has funny moderation! Disappearing posts! Haha

route66gal
11-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I know something you don't know................. More info in the coming weeks or sooner if I get permission. I'll also see if I can get some potential renderings but right now things are in the design stage. Hint, it's not a new building but upgrades to the river area.

Spend more money on projects.. so the contractors get money, and the people who do not even live In Oklahoma City can visit Bricktown on the weekends, All the while ignoring our inner city schools. And making Oklahoma City Metro area unlivable unless you can afford a private school. News Flash, the private schools are not very supportive of autism and other disabilities so even if you are rich enough to send your kid there, you end up stuck in a public school that seriously needs funding for those programs.

Oklahoma should be ashamed of themselves when their schools are so horrid it takes a local corporation like Chesapeake to uplift them to national standards. Get with it Oklahoma, we are losing our youth to your frivolous greed.

ssandedoc
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe its those self propelled swan boats for the OK river.

Richard at Remax
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
you are right shane. One of my posts disappeared. I thought it was pretty funny too.

Architect2010
11-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Spend more money on projects.. so the contractors get money, and the people who do not even live In Oklahoma City can visit Bricktown on the weekends, All the while ignoring our inner city schools. And making Oklahoma City Metro area unlivable unless you can afford a private school. News Flash, the private schools are not very supportive of autism and other disabilities so even if you are rich enough to send your kid there, you end up stuck in a public school that seriously needs funding for those programs.

Oklahoma should be ashamed of themselves when their schools are so horrid it takes a local corporation like Chesapeake to uplift them to national standards. Get with it Oklahoma, we are losing our youth to your frivolous greed.

Speak for yourself. I know I am in inner-city OKCPS student and so are all my friends and I can tell you that we won't be lost to "frivolous greed". Yes, they are so greedy that we so did not have a tax for 7 years on the whole city to rebuild and update every school in the city. Get your facts straight. I'm proud to be a student from Lafayette Elementary, Webster Junior High, and Southeast High. I have never been detracted from my education. I have a 4.235 GPA and I plan on going far with my life and I'll express the whole way that I'm a product of inner-city schools that tough me far more than any suburban mecca "institute" that has 2000 kids that don't know a thing about this world except for the Hollister on their back and their daddy's money.

krisb
11-10-2008, 12:57 AM
How about Humphreys' ferris wheel somewhere on the river?

CuatrodeMayo
11-10-2008, 07:32 AM

I sense a troll.

Platemaker
11-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Have you not heard of MAPS for Kids???

Anyway... though I hate to say it... I bet most of the problem with our schools has more to do with the parents and the kids rather than the schools themselves. Seems to me a lot of parents here don't value education and therefore don't hold their children accountable for their performance.

Okay sorry... back to the topic at hand.

Maybe a rendering on the pedestrian bridge ofer the river where Hudson would be???

metro
11-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Platemaker, no, the pedestrian bridge has already been discussed and design announced. There's a thread on it with picture.

Platemaker
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
metro- I've seen the Skydance Bridge... but that is over the new I-40. There will also be a pedestrian bridge over the river on the same axis. If you know where renderings of that are i really wanna see!

HSC-Sooner
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
They're stocking the river with even more fish, allow fishing on the canal, and tie it in with Bass Pro Shop.

BDP
11-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I'll guess a beach... or has that, too, been discussed somewhere at some point by someone??

metro
11-13-2008, 12:39 PM
no beach...., not pedestrian bridge. From what I hear, the river area pedestrian bridge is still several years out at best.

rjstone208
11-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Rowing News came out today with an article about Oklahoma City being a model for Rowing. It also had renderings of the river east of the Boathouse with cuts in the bank for new boathouses and other details. Pretty neat writeup for anyone interesting in rowing.

mmonroe
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Dang it Metro. Stop with the teasing. You're like a school girl on prom night and i'm your date.

rinni
11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Did I miss the revelation?

OKCisOK4me
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM
They're going to build an underground course for the river and replace the current rocky ditch with an East/West Commuter route so all the Union Station "save these tracks" bastards will shut the heck up.

soonerfan21
11-25-2008, 06:45 AM
sounds like it was a whole lotta talk about nuthin'

metro
11-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Nope, it's still in the planning stages. Hopefully I can snag a rendering soon. Nothing major and not a building but an overall improvement. For those interested, go back and re-read my posts for hints.

CuatrodeMayo
11-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I know you think you are quite important, but serioulsy...just tell us instead of trying to keep some sort of power.

metro
11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Cuatro, I know your anxious, but I promised my source (whom one of many I often provide leads to stories and new news on this site before you hear it anywhere else) I wouldn't leak anything yet until things are further along. Steve can tell you this, don't jeopardize your sources of info, or you'll soon be without them. Sorry, but I like being in the know before most people. Many posters on this website encourage me to start a business based upon the insider info I get. I'm not sure what kind of business I could start. Personally, I don't think I'm that "important" as you say, just like doing this (providing insider information) as a public service. I know you're young (I'm only a few years older), but there was a long time (even in our lifetimes and still is to an extent), that OKC was controlled by the good ole boy network, there was no internet, and we basically were not able to have public knowledge like we can today because of the internet. The news we got is what the good old boys wanted the reporters to report. Now, we can be the reporters. Sorry, but I want to keep my inside sources into the development community in this city.

If I thought I had all this power, I'd be bragging about it more and I would bump the thread up on my own, I was only responding to people's questions and I also mentioned it's not a major announcement. Basically I downplayed the situation.

Midtowner
11-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Worst post ever.

All of these expenditures which improve infrastructure and tourism improve our tax base. Our tax base, in turn improves the schools. The measure of a school system is not necessarily how well it deals with autistic and disabled kids. Schools allocate resources to where they think those resources will be the most beneficial. So maybe autism isn't at the top of the list. You give money to the autistic kids, you take away from the arts (or something). It's a zero sum game and we're not playing with infinite resources.

Secondly, my wife is a teacher at a local charter school. I attended McGuinness for 3 of my 4 years of high school and Edmond North for my final year, so I think I have a good background in the area when I say that the education received at this charter school far exceeds in quality what was available to me back in the late 90's at public or private schools.

When you slam our public schools, you just come off as completely clueless. OKC Public Schools are fine.

Flatlander
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Metro do you know when the south end of the canal will be extended under the new I-40? This area could be really nice.

jbrown84
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I know you think you are quite important, but serioulsy...just tell us instead of trying to keep some sort of power.

:congrats: :fighting4

wsucougz
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Cuatro, I know your anxious, but I promised my source (whom one of many I often provide leads to stories and new news on this site before you hear it anywhere else) I wouldn't leak anything yet until things are further along. Steve can tell you this, don't jeopardize your sources of info, or you'll soon be without them. Sorry, but I like being in the know before most people. Many posters on this website encourage me to start a business based upon the insider info I get. I'm not sure what kind of business I could start. Personally, I don't think I'm that "important" as you say, just like doing this (providing insider information) as a public service. I know you're young (I'm only a few years older), but there was a long time (even in our lifetimes and still is to an extent), that OKC was controlled by the good ole boy network, there was no internet, and we basically were not able to have public knowledge like we can today because of the internet. The news we got is what the good old boys wanted the reporters to report. Now, we can be the reporters. Sorry, but I want to keep my inside sources into the development community in this city.

If I thought I had all this power, I'd be bragging about it more and I would bump the thread up on my own, I was only responding to people's questions and I also mentioned it's not a major announcement. Basically I downplayed the situation.

I'm totally way more in the know than you are. I actually know about an even bigger river project than the one you're referring to(which I also happen to know about, otherwise how could I know mine's bigger?). Can't tell you, though but you'll see - it is going to be AWESOME, and when it happens you'll know I was the one who knew about it before you did because I know lot's of important people.

lasomeday
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
OK, now we are getting into a "who's is bigger contest".

Just tell us when we are going to find out. December or 2009?

I hope one of you are going to say they are going to remove the rocks around the sides and add some native plants on the edges of the river.

Neither one of you can say the boathouses or the stages/amphitheater project that is supposed to be included with the OCU boathouse because we already know about that.

I am hoping that one of you is referring to Grant Humphrey's development....

wsucougz
11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Mine is a Bennigan's. Your turn, Metro.

route66gal
11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I sense a troll.

gee how nice of you to call names.

pot meet kettle.

shane453
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm totally way more in the know than you are. I actually know about an even bigger river project than the one you're referring to(which I also happen to know about, otherwise how could I know mine's bigger?). Can't tell you, though but you'll see - it is going to be AWESOME, and when it happens you'll know I was the one who knew about it before you did because I know lot's of important people.

:congrats::yourock:

Unrelated, as for Humphreys' airpark plans, I've heard his master plans are quite close to being made public. And by "I've heard" I mean I've looked in the completely public agendas/minutes/and committee reports found on okc.gov that anyone can access at any time and feel like an "insider".

CuatrodeMayo
11-26-2008, 07:20 AM
gee how nice of you to call names.

pot meet kettle.

:dontgetit

soonerfan21
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
OK, I will spill the beans since Metro and ws won't tell. There are plans for an Olympic-sized TGI Fridays . . . that's the big news!!!

BDP
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Personally, I don't think I'm that "important" as you say, just like doing this (providing insider information) as a public service.

You actually haven't provided any information at all, at least nothing new to anyone here, so I wouldn't call anything you have posted a service. It's maybe more like a harmless annoyance... like a fly.

I also don't think it would be a good idea for you to continue to assume you are more informed than others. I mean, I guess you can, who cares, but you might want to consider the possibility that some here actually do a lot of work with city leaders and it's a very small city. Information isn't that hard to come by.

Jesseda
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
okay this just in the new project or the new attraction for the okc river front area to get more people around the area is!!!!!!!! They are flying in the naked guitar man from new york city!!!!!!! He will be playing down by the river 7 days a week from Dec14th 2008-october 31 2009.. how cool is that he will be in the parking lot where they are building the worlds largest TGIF set to open in FEB 2009, but until that is built just look for him around the river area!!

mmonroe
11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Naked Cowboy!! lol. We actually saw him in New York. Weird really, cause he's not naked at all. But he does look like a cousin to Kidd Rock.

Anyways..... this discussion is getting boring. Can we get an ignore thread button?

Jesseda
11-26-2008, 10:29 AM
just trying to spice this up since there is no real news to this thread.