View Full Version : Advertising

bretthexum
11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
So I am watching the game right now... and I just noticed I've seen the same 5 commercials during every break. CHK, Devon, Sandridge, Midfirst, and the Oklahoman. Wonder why we aren't seeing more local advertisers?

mmonroe
11-07-2008, 12:52 AM
There is a certain family who owns a lot of advertising businesses who charge a large penny for advertising. It makes it hard for the little guy to get his advertising out there.

metro
11-07-2008, 07:55 AM
There is a certain family who owns a lot of advertising businesses who charge a large penny for advertising. It makes it hard for the little guy to get his advertising out there.

????, If you're referring to the Daily Oklahoman or Bennett/Gaylord families that has nothing to do with it (although I agree the Oklahoman's rates are ridiculous). The game is on FOX Sports Oklahoma. The Gaylord family does not own the FOX network, nor COX, DISH Network or Direct TV. Even if they owned FOX network it wouldn't matter. TV advertising is bought though your cable or satellite provider, and FYI, it's dirt cheap to advertise on cable or satellite, I'm talking $5-$50 for a :30 second spot.

bretthexum
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
????, If you're referring to the Daily Oklahoman or Bennett/Gaylord families that has nothing to do with it (although I agree the Oklahoman's rates are ridiculous). The game is on FOX Sports Oklahoma. The Gaylord family does not own the FOX network, nor COX, DISH Network or Direct TV. Even if they owned FOX network it wouldn't matter. TV advertising is bought though your cable or satellite provider, and FYI, it's dirt cheap to advertise on cable or satellite, I'm talking $5-$50 for a :30 second spot.

Now if some local companies could spend a little extra for real actors or producers... reminds me of the thread about worst local commercial :)

Centerback
11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Looks like the 5 advertisers you see are the 5 major corporate cornerstone sponsors. Could it be that they receive those spots as part of their sponsorships and they aren't available to anyone else?

Thunder Announces 5 Corporate Sponsors - Sports News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/sports/17811758/detail.html?rss=okl&psp=news)

You bunch of Nancy's blame the Gaylord's around here like the Libs blame Bush for everything. It's really quite exhausting to have to continue to read your diatribe. Especially you Metro with your lambasting of the DOK and their ad rates. I notice you always complain how high it is but never mention exactly how much you have to pay for it. Nor do you mention what your return on investment is. My guess is that it has a much higher rate of return than most if not all ather mediums.

metro
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Centerback, I wasn't the one bashing the Oklahoman about their control of the tv media. I was defending them. I said they had no control over local tv rates and cable rates (where Thunder games are broadcast) are DIRT CHEAP. Go re-read my post please. I'm not going to disclose private financial information from my employer on a public message board, but I can tell you the ROI is often zero and at best usually 2-3%.

betts
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
We had the same advertisers on all the Hornets games as well. Probably any other potential advertisers want to see market share numbers before committing to that kind of financial outlay.

jbrown84
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
There is a lot more diversity at the games. AAA, U.S. Cellular, Love's, Cox, State Farm, etc.

Doug Loudenback
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm surely missing Chesapeake's commercials about Azerbaijan as well as, if not more missingly, Budweiser's Real Men of Genius radio mini-vignettes.

John
11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm surely missing Chesapeake's commercials about Azerbaijan as well as, if not more missingly, Budweiser's Real Men of Genius radio mini-vignettes.

Wasn't the 'They call us friends' ad campaign a Kerr-McGee deal?