View Full Version : Cell phones for kids

tnajk
11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Do your kids have one? If so, what service do you use? Is it part of your family plan, or seperate? Does it provide you any kind of piece of mind like GPS or internet protection of any kind?

kmf563
11-05-2008, 10:58 AM
My son has one. He's in 7th grade. We have Sprint's family plan and haven't had any problems. I only put talking and texting on his phone, no internet service. We share minutes and he has been better than expected at waiting until after 7pm to talk to those not on Sprint.
I'm happy he has one. There have been several times they have had problems with bus drivers and he has called me to let me know what was going on so I didn't worry. He also got locked out of the house on accident one day and had his phone so he was able to get in quickly. It was about 20 degrees outside that day.
I think with limits they are really good for them to have. You have to be willing to follow through on rules though or you will end up with a million dollar bill.

BailJumper
11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
7th grade is (IMO) a good age for a first cell phone.

Personally, I see no need for one before a kid turns 12.

We too have the Sprint family plan. We have an older plan with 5 phones on it. We get 3500 minutes, free after 6pm, a few hundred texts a piece and I have a Palm data plan for my Centro and it's $200/month.

We are very strict with our kid's phones and they have to leave them on the kitchen counter (charging) until 6pm (homework time) and then back on the counter again by 9pm (no late night calls allowed).

The older teen of course takes his with him to work, etc.

We turned off the internet for all the kids phones.

Personally, if I was starting new, I would consider the Cricket phones for kids. A flat rate for unlimited use means no surprises. BUT, I wouldn't pay $35/month for any kid's phone under age 16.

CG23
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
My oldest son has a TracFone. He got it when he was 12 - and I really only bought it for my peace of mind, since he was coming home to an empty house after school for a short period. He keeps it turned off most of the time, but he knows he is allowed to call a few friends - but if he uses too many minutes, he will be paying to add more. Not that he has done that - he rarely uses the phone. The phone does have text capability, but no internet or pictures or anything fancy.

Karried
11-05-2008, 09:50 PM
We too have the Sprint family plan.. Text/Data/Pictures with 1500 shared minutes.

Honestly, it's the worse thing I've ever done.

I hate that my kids are now so much more interested in their 'unlimited texting' than any family activity including conversing, dinner, movies, basketball games etc etc.

They are constantly looking down, checking their messages and it drives me insane.

I have to continually remind them to turn it off and I hate it.

I wish I never had gotten them phones.

BailJumper
11-06-2008, 05:56 AM
I hate that my kids are now so much more interested in their 'unlimited texting' than any family activity

I know your pain. It took shutting of the texting feature for a couple of months to get the point across to them that texting is on an as needed basis.

We don't allow cell phones to be on during "family time" - me included. That usually means any meals, movies, family outings (hiking, bike riding, dog park), when company is over, family board game nights, or when we are visiting other people.

Hasn't been a problem in a long time now.

We ran into the same thing with the Internet on their computers. Always on MySpace or chatting. We installed a program that limits how much time they can spend on social sites and blocks the Internet all together after 10pm.

We try not to be mean or rude about it, we just treat it like a rule and there is no arguing.

We find these rules keep the kids active instead of being couch potatoes and got them out finding jobs early - both starting working at 14.

I know parents who got their kids expensive phones at 10 and 11 years old. They treat the phone like a babysitter and actually like that it keeps their kids "entertained." I think they are raising brats that think they are entitled to every techno toy that comes down the pike. I prefer a bit more independence, appreciation of money and motivation from kids.

soonerfan21
11-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Any one else feel like there should be "rules" for cell phone usage even for adults? I can't believe people go to the store, bank, places where you should converse with the person on the other side of the counter. But they cannot tear themselves from that exciting conversation (their surgery, aches, pains, etc) to give the service person a little courtesy.

I think the rules stated above are great to ensure some decent manners I hope!

Karried
11-06-2008, 06:53 AM
What drives me crazy is that I'm the bad guy for trying to limit it .... I bought the freaking thing and I pay for it!

I've explained over and over, this phone is a privilege, not a right.

I've told him it's rude and inconsiderate to give more importance and weight to his nonsense texting from his friends than to his family.. but it's like I'm speaking a foreign language.

I've done the whole speech, if you can't limit yourself, I'll do it for you....everything in moderation, blah,blah,blah...

But, of course, once they start non-stop texting, it's like a punishment to them to tell them to turn it off.

Not to mention, the new girlfriend loves to text even more than my son.

If I knew it would be like this, I seriously wouldn't have gotten the Texting... they never talk on the phone. They text, text, text!

Last night at the Basketball game, a family came in about an hour late... proceeded to eventually sit down and get organized and the mom whipped out her phone!

She spent the next hour texting, waving and pointing to some friends in another section.. I was so distracted! How I wanted to fling that phone off the balcony ( along with my son's!) ugh.

I'm thinking of calling Sprint to see if they have some sort of program to only have it on at certain times or ?

The one thing is everytime he acts up, I take his phone away .. so in that respect, it's a good incentive for him to behave.

I would just caution anyone who is considering a phone 'just because' to think long and hard about the texting.. it's so popular with the teens but I think it's addicting and distracting.

tnajk
11-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Cool, thanks for all the replies! I found a perfect solution I think. No one mentioned kajeet,but it seems it's the ultimate kid and parent friendly phone? I can't belive the control it will allow me...

I'm thinking of calling Sprint to see if they have some sort of program to only have it on at certain times or ? This will!! Perfect, because I can see my son coming and getting it off the counter in the middle of the night when I fall asleep. lol

kajeet.com (www.kajeet.com/KS0005)

kmf563
11-06-2008, 07:20 AM
My son and I both have limits. We've had them from the beginning and that's just the way it is so I don't get any complaints.

We both turn off cell phones during dinner. That starts from the time we cook and lasts until clean up is finished. But we also turn off the tv and everything during this time. It's the one time a day we converse about what's going on in his life. He actually appreciates the undivided attention and enjoys being a part of making dinner. Anytime we go anywhere - movies, dinner plans, join friends, games, etc. he doesn't even take his phone. I take mine for emergency use and it stays off. At 10pm he brings his phone to me. On weekends as long as he turns the ringer off and leaves it on vibrate, he gets to keep it all night.
I always keep my phone on when I am out without my son, just in case something happens and whoever he is with needs to reach me. But I keep it on vibrate if I am in a restaurant, movies, or on a date, at a game, etc. If it rings I just hit silent and ignore it. If it happens to be an emergency call I excuse myself and go answer it. Everyone knows I have a kid though so they know I keep it on. On occasion I have had to answer it in stores so that doesn't really bother me when I see other people do it. All of this has taught my son cell phone manners.
I'm sure this we will have to adjust the rules for age though. When he gets in highschool he will need to be allowed more time to make plans and chat with his friends. Until he leaves for college, rules will remain during events and dinner though.

kmf563
11-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Cool, thanks for all the replies! I found a perfect solution I think. No one mentioned kajeet,but it seems it's the ultimate kid and parent friendly phone? I can't belive the control it will allow me...

This will!! Perfect, because I can see my son coming and getting it off the counter in the middle of the night when I fall asleep. lol

kajeet.com (www.kajeet.com/KS0005)

FYI - that plan looks really expensive. You only get 300 minutes for $29 a month. And that's the most expensive plan. Additional calls and texts are .10 cents a minute. That will add up and eat you alive.

If you get a family plan with Sprint, you can still activate some of those controls and it's only $10 to add a line to the family plan. You can get a free phone and the activation fee is only one time charge of $29. I pay $69 a month for both of our phones with unlimited texting, free calls from 7pm to 7am and weekends free. Long distance is free. We share 800 minutes a month. Which is plenty since the phone is hardly used before 7pm anyway.

Karried
11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
wow, 10 cents per text? The plan you will probably like is the Unlimited Text.. just like kmf563 says, set your rules Before you get the phone.

I never thought my kids would be into texting at all.. they used to think it was silly.. but it crept up on me and I blew it by not making ground rules right off the bat.

It's always easier to set rules in the beginning instead of doing it afterwards because now, like I said, I'm taking something away from them and it feels like a punishment to them.

kmf563
11-06-2008, 07:42 AM
wow, 10 cents per text? The plan you will probably like is the Unlimited Text.. just like kmf563 says, set your rules Before you get the phone.

I never thought my kids would be into texting at all.. they used to think it was silly.. but it crept up on me and I blew it by not making ground rules right off the bat.

It's always easier to set rules in the beginning instead of doing it afterwards because now, like I said, I'm taking something away from them and it feels like a punishment to them.

Yeah and your boys are good boys so it's hard to make them feel like they are being punished I imagine. Texting crept up on me too, I used to hate it. Unlimited is definitely the way to go. Maybe you could compromise with them. Is there something you do that drives them nuts? You're a mom - I'm sure they can come up with something. Maybe you could make a trade and agree to not do whatever that is if they agree to some phone rules. That way it doesn't seem like punishment.

PennyQuilts
11-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Hang in there, Karried!

tnajk
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'm not planning on buying a large plan. I'm not looking at the minutes, I am more concerned about the safety. The neat kid and parental controls, the GPS. This phone teaches responsibility by allowing my child to spend the minutes in his "wallet" and when they are gone, they are gone! ...but there is still a parent "wallet" attached to the account and I can set it so that I can call or text my son at anytime and it will go through regardless of my son's account status. (Or we can set it up so he can still call home or my cell phone even if he's out of minutes in his "wallet".)

If he get's good grades, I can add to his "wallet".
If he messes up, I can shut all access down or take money out out of his "wallet".

I read it's the only cell phone company that has protection ratings for online use.

Finally, the biggest difference than adding him onto our family plan.. I dont' want to sign another contract! This kajeet promises me no contract, no activation or cancellation fees. In 2 months when his grades drop again. (We've had nothing but problems with him this year!!) I am not going to feel ripped off paying every month for a cell phone he's no longer using. ;-)

I'm sold. It's totally different than just adding him to our family plan.

Karried
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks all.. I guess I could have worse problems.... at this moment, I have two other teens spending the night tonight ( no school tomorrow) the first thing the one friend said when I picked them all up from school... ' oh no, I forgot my charger! Can you take me home first to get it? Keep in mind, he lives pretty far from my house... but I said ' no, sorry, you're all spending the night, how about you actually talk to each other face to face?' lol... they've been free running in the creek all afternoon and they all left their phones on the counter! yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

tnajk, I think that plan is perfect for you. We started with a Trac phone and within a month, I added them to our family plan because like I said, they really got into the texting and I was always worried about them going over.

SoonerDave
11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Okay, color me old guard, but I've yet to realize a legitimate situation wherein my 12-year-old genuinely "needed" a cell phone for anything other than a status symbol. He whines about it, and every time he tells me "everyone" has one, which, of course, isn't true, it reinforces for me that the decision is the correct one. I *might* consider it for a13th birthday present next year. Maybe.

Intrepid
11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
My daughter has had a phone since she was 5.

Now, get your jaw off the floor and let me explain. LOL

When I worked for Cingular, I was given a phone, and I was able to have two dependent lines. Well, my then wife had one and we had the other one for our "home" phone. We called it my daughter's phone because it was there for when someone was babysitting her at our house. She didn't actually start carrying it until my ex and I split up.

Her (my daughter) and I are on Cingular's family plan, with unlimited m2m, and have an unlimited texting plan, but that was just added earlier this year when I thought she might start texting more. She's a good kid and sometimes I have to encourage her that it's ok to use the phone and text if she wants. As of right now, I have no worries about her abusing minutes. She knows that I am able to access the account online and check to see who she's talking to and for how long.

kevinpate
11-08-2008, 06:43 AM
My two elder children received phones when they were old enough to drive and would be out and about at night. I walked away from car issues down lonely roads in my youth, and it's not something I wanted them to deal with.

My youngest got his a tad earlier, and its the nicest of the bunch. Big sis moved overseas and gifted her line to him. He persuaded momma into the nicer phone by using money that was his. He uses the features as much for keeping his musical life organized as anything. With two church worship groups and orchestra at school, he's got a fair bit to stay on top of at just shy of 16.

I'm the only non-texter in the bunch. I've texted some, but root canals seem more fun to me, so I just don't bother to text.

tnajk
11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
COOL. Check this out:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSTp4VlLjLs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSTp4VlLjLs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bobby821
12-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I say No

OKCisOK4me
12-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I say No

Gosh darn it. I hate to see you say no cause I agree with you!

nik4411
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
It is incredible to see all of these young kids running around on cell phones....just over Thanksgiving, I was amazed at how much time 2 of my younger cousins spent texting on their phones. One is in 9th grade and the other 7th. What could they possibly be texting??? It is just amazing b/c I didn't have a cell phone until my freshman year of college, and that wasn't so long ago, I'll be 24 on the 24th.

PennyQuilts
12-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Not to be alarmist, but when I look at all the fat kids (which frequently equals fat adults, poor health, crappy quality of life, health costs for the rest of us, early death, screwed up mating potential) that are sitting around texting or playing video games instead of playing, communicating face to face, or MOVING, I feel like we are all in the pot and the water is gradually getting warmer.

And just when did parents decide it was the thing to do to push a half grown kid in a shopping cart so they don't have to tax their little legs? I think it is a lousy parent's short cut to controlling kids in public instead of taking the time, effort and energy to teach kids to control themselves in public.

Parents these days suck.

I'm a bit cranky, this morning... Need more coffee.

oneforone
12-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Not to be alarmist, but when I look at all the fat kids (which frequently equals fat adults, poor health, crappy quality of life, health costs for the rest of us, early death, screwed up mating potential) that are sitting around texting or playing video games instead of playing, communicating face to face, or MOVING, I feel like we are all in the pot and the water is gradually getting warmer.

And just when did parents decide it was the thing to do to push a half grown kid in a shopping cart so they don't have to tax their little legs? I think it is a lousy parent's short cut to controlling kids in public instead of taking the time, effort and energy to teach kids to control themselves in public.

Parents these days suck.

I'm a bit cranky, this morning... Need more coffee.

Maybe so on the coffee thing. However, you’re right about how parents are just lousy these days. My logic is "If it is not allowed at home, it would definitely not happen in public."

One of my biggest pet peeves is parents getting angry because the kid is crying or irritable. I see all kinds of parents lugging their kids around at all hours of the night. Then the parent has the nerve to get pissed at the kid for being cranky.

I know parents are busy and things come up but for the love of Pete if you have children get on a schedule and stick to it. Kids need a routine they should not be staying up until 3am and sleeping until noon.

DaveSkater
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll take it a bit further, if EVERYONE not just the kids get on a schedule, then no one sleeps till noon, no one has to ride in the cart, and no one has to get fat. We maintain a hectic, yet very structured existence, and everything is scheduled around maximizing quality time together. The better organized you are wrt a schedule the better quality time you'll get. I'm a big ol' kid at heart, and one of our favorite past times includes skating.
We all three love the skate :) and I'm not the weird old dad who's doing the "dance type skate" to 70's music at the skating rink. I'm the cool dad grinding the ledges and bustin 540's outta the 12' deep end at Hoffman. We take vacations to skateparks around this region of the country based on where the skateparks are. My 8 year old daughter is getting pretty dang good too.

Back on topic tho, I vote NO for the cell phone. At least for younger kids, for no other reason than the inconclusive evidence that cell phone radiation is 5 times more likely to cause brain tumors in under developed skulls.

Call me over-protective. I'll take it as a compliment.

kmf563
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
LOL. Brain tumors. Cancer. Paranoid much?

The tornado that hit Edmond a week ago just reminded me how happy I am my son has a cell phone at a young age. No power, no phones. I was able to text my son and keep tabs on what was going on and if they were okay. He allowed his friends to use it to call their parents as well, which really made them happy and now have purchased phones for their kids. That was a stressful situation in which panic would have set in and I would have been one of those parents at the school freaking out without the use of that cell phone. Once I knew they were all safe I was able to notify others and stay at work until they were released from the lockdown.

danielf1935
02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
My sister's kids (4, ages 10--17) all how phones, we were talking about the need for phones and how I don't think my 13 year old son needs one, her reply was "how does he know when to come home if you can't call him". DUH, if he's going outside or to a friends, I tell him when I expect him home, worked when I was young and still works today.

DaveSkater
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Paranoid, no. Read too much, mebbe. Overcautious, when it comes to my kids: f'n A.

They've actually got a phone. It's against the school rules to even have one there, and since they're with me the rest of the time, there is no need. It stays in my car. I used to send it with them when they went to visitation with their mother, but since I have to supervise those visitations, there's no need.