View Full Version : Free food for voting

sooners83
11-04-2008, 09:03 AM
From: http://newsok.com/free-food-drink-may-await-residents-who-vote-today/article/3318888
At least three major chains are offering free food and drink today to Oklahoma voters...

All anyone has to have is an "I voted” sticker from their polling place. Then they can get a free star-shaped doughnut from participating Krispy Kremes, a cup of coffee from Starbucks or a three-pack of chicken strips from Chick-fil-A.

The promotions are being offered nationwide.

Also I heard on the news today, that you can get a free haircut... Anyone catch the name of the place?

metro
11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Saw that, hopefully get me some free chicken strips! woo hoo

Luke
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
My voting location didn't give me a sticker!

I'm sure this is Bush's fault.

rondvu
11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Yum yum gimme some. I enjoyed a nice strong cup of coffee and the chicken for breakfast. :cheersmf:

BDP
11-04-2008, 09:19 AM
My voting location didn't give me a sticker!

I'm sure this is Bush's fault.

No, no, you have Obama to thank for that. HE is the one against upper body apparel accessories, even ones as patriotic as an "I Voted" sticker.

BTW, it may be chicken fraud, but couldn't you just borrow a sticker from a friend?

OKCTalker
11-04-2008, 09:19 AM
If we're being paid to vote, should we return poll taxes? Zero sum.

hipsterdoofus
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Also anyone heard of this?

Vote & Vax: Promoting Election Day Flu Clinics (http://www.voteandvax.com/)

Kerry
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
It is illegal to give anything of value in exchange for voting.

Free Starbucks Coffee On Election Day After Illegal Ad - News Story - KIRO Seattle (http://www.kirotv.com/news/17885256/detail.html)

traxx
11-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Apparently that's true:

Authorities Eye Voter Perks
By Frank Ahrens
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 4, 2008; 12:27 PM
Businesses that hope to reward voters today for exercising their patriotic right might be committing a felony.
A number of companies, including Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and California Tortilla, said they would give out free food and sweets today to customers displaying an "I Voted" sticker.
But such freebies might be a violation of election laws -- they could be viewed as bribes even after a vote has been cast.
Leave it to the law to spoil all the fun.
In Georgia, the secretary of state's office issued a statement yesterday reading: "Businesses are free to offer 'Election Day' specials or sales for all of its customers, but gifts, incentives or specials just for voters is prohibited under this provision."
Which is good news for the cheap, hungry and disenfranchised of the Peach State.
To comply with similar election laws nationwide, businesses have devised a work-around.
For instance, Krispy Kreme has tied its voting promotion to its famous "Hot Doughnuts Now" signs that glow in store windows when the circular treats roll off the assembly line, freshly bathed in warm glaze.
"Anyone who visits a participating Krispy Kreme shop today and simply mentions our 'Hot Vote Now' promotion will get a free doughnut," company spokesman Brian Little wrote in an e-mail today. "No one is required to show an 'I Voted' sticker." The stores in Alexandria and the District's Dupont Circle locations are participating in the promotion today.
Ben & Jerry's said it would give away a free scoop of ice cream from 5 to 8 p.m. today to customers displaying the sticker, but then learned about the law.
"Originally, we planned to give free scoops away just to those who voted," said Walt Freese, chief euphoria officer of the wacky Vermont ice cream maker. "We found out afterwards that certain laws may not allow it. So instead we're celebrating our election with a national party," he said.
At Starbucks, which promised a free "tall" coffee today to anyone displaying the "I Voted" sticker, free joe now flows for all, voter and non-voter alike.
"To ensure we are in compliance with election law, we are extending our offer to all customers who request a tall brewed coffee," Starbucks spokeswoman Diana Fullerton wrote in an e-mail. "We're pleased to honor our commitment to communities on this important election day."
So today's lesson is: Vote or don't vote -- either way you get free food. Probably not quite the message the companies had hoped to impart.

Luke
11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
How stupid.

warreng88
11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Yum yum gimme some. I enjoyed a nice strong cup of coffee and the chicken for breakfast. :cheersmf:

Was that a Marisa Tomei SNL reference? If so, bravo young soul...

CuatrodeMayo
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Brown's did the same as Krispy Kreme.

Free Midtown afternoon snack...doughnuts from Brown's and coffee from Starbucks.

Yum Yum!

Kerry
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
How stupid.

What is stupid about it? If companies/special interest groups/political parties are allowed to give away free product for voting then the next step is to give away that product to people that vote in certain districts. Pretty soon people are getting a $10 bill to vote. It is a very slippery slope.

I do love these companies covering the butts by saying it "might be" against the law. It isn't might be - it is against the law. Period.

Luke
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
So, someone votes and then they go to Starbucks to get a free coffee... that's buying a vote?

Kerry
11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Luke - look at it this way. Ultraman is in a political race with Godzilla. HotDogs-r-us wants to reward voters so they say they will give every voter a free hotdog. The only problem is HotDogs-r-us is only located in a district that supports Ultraman by 70%. Does it give the appearance that HotDogs-r-us is buying votes? Yes it does. What if Ultraman is actully paying for the free hotdog campaign? If you don't draw the line at the beginning where do you draw it?

We already have enough problems trying to make sure people only donate the amount allowable by law. If you start throwing free items into the mix it will be crazier than it already is. Do you want the Feds tracking the sources of free hotdogs? Polticians need to buy votes the old fasioned way, by promising the moon.

Luke
11-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd have to study all sides of this issue to form any sort of real decision, but my first thought is that if someone wants to sell their vote, then let them.

Heck, San Francisco is voting to decriminalize the voluntary selling of one's body for sex. Surely that is much more of an issue than selling a vote.

I see more laws as less liberty. As with legislating anyone's personal decision, we should be very careful about how far we go.

Kerry
11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd have to study all sides of this issue to form any sort of real decision, but my first thought is that if someone wants to sell their vote, then let them.

I think it already happens and look where it has gotten us.
YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI)

I guess with the KrispyKream and Starbucks payoff the voter will actually get the donut and coffee. The lady in video is going to be pissed when she goes to the gas station tomorrow and finds out the gas isn't free.

Karried
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
ha! This explains why I didn't see a Krispy Kreme when I voted.. I was expecting a snack at my polling place.... I didn't realize I'd have to go find it! lol

kevinpate
11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Don't drink Starbucks, don't eat KK's, not much on fast food Chik-in

woe is me, woe is me, but the enchilada supper coming out of the oven as I hit the door, that was priceless! I do love that lady.

Kerry
11-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Don't drink Starbucks, don't eat KK's, not much on fast food Chik-in

woe is me, woe is me, but the enchilada supper coming out of the oven as I hit the door, that was priceless! I do love that lady.

Enchiladas you say. I would like to buy what you are selling and subscribe to your newsletter.

On a serious note - with the downtourn in the economy my wife has started cooking again. Now I remember why I married her: chicken fried steak, mashed potatos, fried okra, and sweet tea.

bombermwc
11-05-2008, 07:12 AM
It's only a bribe if you make it contingent on the person voting for a particular person. Duh.

Most polling places ran out of stickers this time too. Mine ran out at 2pm.

scootinger
11-06-2008, 01:11 AM
deleted