View Full Version : NBA game-night business

Stinger
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
How are the Bricktown merchants doing on NBA nights so far? I haven't been east of the tracks before a game yet.

Also, has anyone heard of any game-night specials?

jbrown84
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I saw something about $10 buckets or something like that on a Brewery poster.

There was an article from the Oklahoman after opening night talking about how well Bricktown did.

SWOKC 4 me
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I was not able to get to the game until about 20 Min before tipoff so I don't know what the BrickTown crowd was like before the game. After the game we did go eat and there were a few people around but everyone seemed to scatter pretty quickly after the game. That suprised me. Even on a Sunday I thought I would see a lot more people out and about in BrickTown after the game but not so.

I do realize it was a Sunday but the game was over before 8:30PM so there was time to stick around the area.

sroberts24
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
before the game wed. i went to about 5 different places to get a beer at the bar, but all the restaurants were packed and i didn't have time to get a beer, i was actually really surprised!

badfish77
11-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I bartend at the Renaissance Hotel. Business is definately better before the games than it would be without them. If you want to stop in for a drink before the game we usually dont have the crowds that the bars in bricktown do and we're closer to the ford center. $2.50 Bud light/Mich Ultra drafts, and $3 appetizer specials on all home games. Also they have a bar set up in the cox center that has beer specials as well.

metro
11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
badfish, what type of apps does Renaissance have? I didn't see a menu on your website.

fuzzytoad
11-05-2008, 09:52 PM
is it real beer or OK beer you have on tap?

metro
11-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Tried the Renaissance Bar/Grill last night. Definitely DO NOT recommend it. Extremely poor and slow service. Took over 1 hr to get a drink and apps. I will post more info in the food court.

kmf563
11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Mickey Mantles. They have $1 longnecks and half price apps before every game. Plus live entertainmnet and free shuttle rides by limo to and from the game.

sroberts24
11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
i went to the Sheraton, all tho it was busy, i got my drinks pretty fast, they had a lot of bartenders working, and the manager was helping out, it was a good experience... and the Celtics stayed there

Karried
11-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Mickey Mantles. They have $1 longnecks and half price apps before every game. Plus live entertainmnet and free shuttle rides by limo to and from the game.

wow, I am so there... I know when we went to the Eagles concert some years back, we ate there and had a limo to the concert.

Are there a lot of people waiting for the ride? How do you pick up the shuttle/limo? Tab or ???

jbrown84
11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Trattoria il Centro is advertsing free limo rides to Thunder games, and they have a nice bar that is probably on the less-crowded side. Food is superb as well.

metro
11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone know if Cafe Nova is also doing limo rides to the game again? Sure haven't heard much out of that place lately. And "The Bachelor" John Paul Merritt said that and Western Ave. said that was going to be THE PLACE TO BE IN OKC in 5 years. Wasn't that about 3-4 years ago or so?

kmf563
11-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Karried there were a lot of people waiting for the limo, but they start shuttling i believe at 6pm so there are plenty of trips and everyone was able to get there last game. The bar area is really busy but it is usually busy on a daily basis. Get there EARLY if you want a bar seat or a table. And heads up, order 2 beers for the first round and then order another round when you finish the first beer because it takes a while to get back to you. The staff busts their rear and works really hard, but they just can't keep up fast enough. And there are always a lot of them! They still give great service though and are friendly if you give them plenty of time to bring you what you need. I think you just get in the limo when you can - not sure on that. The only reason I know all of this is because Aaron plays up there every Wednesday night and last week there was a game on Wednesday. I try to make it by to see him once in a while.

BDP
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
So, basically, you can wait in line for your turn to sit in a limo in traffic, or you can walk 4 blocks in, what, 5 minutes?

Oh wait, do you get cocktails in the limo?... then I'd get it. ;)

jbrown84
11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if Cafe Nova is also doing limo rides to the game again? Sure haven't heard much out of that place lately. And "The Bachelor" John Paul Merritt said that and Western Ave. said that was going to be THE PLACE TO BE IN OKC in 5 years. Wasn't that about 3-4 years ago or so?

It's still a very popular place. I don't know what you expect to "hear out of them".

OKCMallen
11-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I was not able to get to the game until about 20 Min before tipoff so I don't know what the BrickTown crowd was like before the game. After the game we did go eat and there were a few people around but everyone seemed to scatter pretty quickly after the game. That suprised me. Even on a Sunday I thought I would see a lot more people out and about in BrickTown after the game but not so.

I do realize it was a Sunday but the game was over before 8:30PM so there was time to stick around the area.

830 on a Sunday night...I think your expectations are a little off.

Flyfish23
11-10-2008, 08:40 AM
RedPin has a pre-game happy hour with $1 - 12oz draft Bud Light and you get free parking for the game anywhere in lower bricktown and in the UHaul lot with a receipt. Also, its pretty easy to get in and out quickly for food and drink before the game.

Stinger
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
RedPin has a pre-game happy hour with $1 - 12oz draft Bud Light and you get free parking for the game anywhere in lower bricktown and in the UHaul lot with a receipt. Also, its pretty easy to get in and out quickly for food and drink before the game.

I thought about going there last night, but didn't get downtown in time, so I went to Jack Daniels inside the Ford Center. Glad to know they have a special. Anyone know if In The Raw is open yet?

metro
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, in the raw is open, there are reviews in the food court.

Urbanized
11-16-2008, 04:24 PM
To answer the original question, I think game nights are pretty successful so far for the bars and restaurants. Weeknights are far better for the folks I have talked to than the Sunday nights have been. The weeknight crowd tends to be more adult, and business-heavy. I think 7 PM games on a Wednesday night, for instance, rule out a lot of kids, so the adults are the ones out and about. Places like Makers, Mickey Mantles, Hooters and the like have very pretty brisk, before and after, on weeknight games.

On the other hand, Sunday games tend to be more family-oriented, at least attendance-wise. The earlier (6 PM) tip encourages more kids, too. So the places I mentioned above have been a bit slower on those nights than on weeknight game nights. It would definitely be a snap to get a table or a spot at the bar on those nights, if you're wondering. Not sure if the lunch or early dinner business at more family-focused restaurants have had a bump on those Sunday nights, but I suspect that has been the case.

Platemaker
11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Iguana Grill just purchased a party bus for game nights... it was a success last night.

OKCMallen
11-18-2008, 03:39 PM
That's awesome!

Karried
11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Where is RedPin and Iguana Grill.. I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy. What are the details of the Party Bus.. can kids ride? I remember now... 9 9th Something? Redpin? What is that?

OKCDrummer77
11-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Where is RedPin and Iguana Grill.. I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy. What are the details of the Party Bus.. can kids ride? I remember now... 9 9th Something? Redpin? What is that?

Iguana Grill is at 9 NE 9th, and Red Pin is on the canal level immediately northwest of Harkins.

Platemaker
11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Iguana Grill is at 9 NE 9th

Actually... 9 NW 9th... it is west of the Santa Fe tracks.

betts
11-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Iguana Grill just purchased a party bus for game nights... it was a success last night.

Cool! I love the Iguana, and that would make dining there before the game much simpler. We've got Nonna's and Bolero scheduled for the next two Friday games, but I'm definitely going to give the Iguana a try.

tuck
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Red PrimeSteak has just started offering free limo service to and from all Thunder games. Don't forget to check out the new $35, 3-course menu as well.

jbrown84
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't forget to check out the new $35, 3-course menu as well.

OOO tell me more!

jbrown84
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Found it on the website.

Stinger
12-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Red PrimeSteak has just started offering free limo service to and from all Thunder games. Don't forget to check out the new $35, 3-course menu as well.

How early do we need to arrive to make it to the game?

tuck
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Shuttle starts 1.5 hours before the game and continues for an hour afterwards.

CCOKC
12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
My husband I frequent the bar quite often. We thought we would pop in and have a drink and eat some sides at the bar before a game (it was the NO game that started at 8:30.) We got there a little before 7 and there was a long wait for dinner and absolutely no place to sit at the bar. I am not trying to discourage anyone from freqenting Red Prime, just be aware if you go on a Friday night before a game get there super early to ensure you have plenty of time to eat and get to the game on time.