View Full Version : ATTN: Steinmart Shoppers!!

foodiefan
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
There are 3 coupons in the SPORTS SECTION of the Diddly Oklahoman that are good through 7 MARCH 2009 ($10 of $50; $20 off $100; $50 off $150). Apparently some sort of settlement from a CA lawsuit. Guess they thought the sports section would see the least amount of interested traffic!!

jsibelius
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Is that today's paper?

metro
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
nah, sometimes advertisers have no say so on where an ad is placed in the Oklahoman, unless you're willing to pay the big bucks for it.

foodiefan
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Is that today's paper?

Yes. . . 19B.

Metro. . .I'm sure your right, but it seems a llittle "beyond the pale" that a Steinmart ad would be in the sports section. Don't remember ever seeing a "shop girl" ad in the sports section before. . .most of the ads seem to be focused on things that would be of interest to what would be thought of as "traditional" sports readers, i.e, male. Maybe they paid extra for it. BUT, since I'm a female sports reader, I saw it!!

bornhere
11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Stein Mart has a huge selection of golf wear. Maybe that's why it's in the sports section.

jsibelius
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Maybe that's the gist of the lawsuit.

gsan
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=metro;180037]nah, sometimes advertisers have no say so on where an ad is placed in the Oklahoman, unless you're willing to pay the big bucks for it.[/QUOT

You are wrong. If it is in the sport section than they requested the sports section.

I know because I work at the paper.

gsan
11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=foodiefan;180024]There are 3 coupons in the SPORTS SECTION of the Diddly Oklahoman that are good through 7 MARCH 2009 ($10 of $50; $20 off $100; $50 off $150). Apparently some sort of settlement from a CA lawsuit. Guess they thought the sports section would see the least amount of interested traffic!![/QUOT

The "Diddly" puts out a great sports section. If it is so "diddly" why are you reading it. Do not get me wrong I am very glad you read it, but enough with constant cut downs with the paper.

foodiefan
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=foodiefan;180024]There are 3 coupons in the SPORTS SECTION of the Diddly Oklahoman that are good through 7 MARCH 2009 ($10 of $50; $20 off $100; $50 off $150). Apparently some sort of settlement from a CA lawsuit. Guess they thought the sports section would see the least amount of interested traffic!![/QUOT

The "Diddly" puts out a great sports section. If it is so "diddly" why are you reading it. Do not get me wrong I am very glad you read it, but enough with constant cut downs with the paper.

Because it's the only game in town. . .

metro
11-04-2008, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=metro;180037]nah, sometimes advertisers have no say so on where an ad is placed in the Oklahoman, unless you're willing to pay the big bucks for it.[/QUOT

You are wrong. If it is in the sport section than they requested the sports section.

I know because I work at the paper.

I'm wrong? I'm one of your clients. Often I do not get a say so in what section unless I'm willing to shell out quite a bit more money. Why don't you elaborate to everyone why the Oklahoman charges so stinking much for an ad, far greater than say the Dallas paper or papers from other much larger cities. I ask my sales rep that all the time and all that person replies is that they "can't comment." And you wonder why people don't like the Oklahoman? Yet another reason and example.

kevinpate
11-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't think paying more for specific placement is any different for the DO than it is for any other advertising venue. It's hardly a reason to dislike the DO, although I do not disagree there are some other reasons.

The cover of yellow pages goes for more than an full page inside.

Commercial blocks during the news run well above the rate of the 2:40 ish spots, either am or pm.

Superbowl ad blocks are in a league all their own compared to any other 30 second ad block on the telly.

DO's sports section may well be the most viewed section of the paper. If that is accurate, a well designed ad there ought to be in front of more eyeballs and thus more valuable to the purchaser. Little different from the limited edition car of the decade selling at 20-40 grand, or more, above MSRP. Someone sees value there and drops the coin to back the play.

And if Steinhaus has the type of goods they seek, many jocks & jockettes are going to be smiling at 20-33% off coupons.

gsan
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=gsan;180101]

I'm wrong? I'm one of your clients. Often I do not get a say so in what section unless I'm willing to shell out quite a bit more money. Why don't you elaborate to everyone why the Oklahoman charges so stinking much for an ad, far greater than say the Dallas paper or papers from other much larger cities. I ask my sales rep that all the time and all that person replies is that they "can't comment." And you wonder why people don't like the Oklahoman? Yet another reason and example.

The only difference in rates apply if you are running in metro zones (specific areas). If you run full circulation - the price will be the same if it is Sports, Business, Main News etc.

Steinmart may have ran in sports because it is football season.

metro
11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
gsan, care to elaborate on why the Oklahoman is more expensive than papers much larger across the nation?

gsan
11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Do you care to tell us why you know all on every subject.

Would you like to tell us what you do, what you charge and why it is different from your competitor.

I am not trying to sell you advertising I was just letting you and the others on the forum know that advertisers have the choice of running in the section they please. Bottom line they can target their audience.

I am sorry I even replied to the post.