View Full Version : Circuit City Closing OKC Stores

Pages : [1] 2

BB37
11-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Read last night Circuit City is closing 155 stores nationwide. A check of CC's store locator this morning only lists two OKC-area stores, Penn & Memorial, and I-240. Apparently the Norman and NW Highway & Portland stores are on the hit list.

CC's financial problems have been well-documented the past couple of years, so this isn't much of a surprise. Sucks for the employees, though.

SeinfeldBlock
11-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Ridiculous. The store in Norman has been open for what, a few months? Why even build it to close it? I went in the other night and there were a few (literally) other customers in there.

AAC2005
11-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I certainly won't miss Circus City, because I've haven't had a good experience with them in a long, long time (this includes Maryland AND Oklahoma). The last time I visited the I-240 store, they weren't busy at all, but I could have just walked out with the merchandise - that I had to search for with no assistance - for the length of time I spent waiting at the check-out counter for someone to acknowledge my presence...or maybe that's what they were waiting for, to bust up an otherwise boring day!

BB37
11-03-2008, 07:59 AM
A year or so ago, CC fired all their experienced, commissioned salespeople and replaced them with hourly, minimum wage types, so your experience isn't surprising. As mentioned in the original post, CC's financial troubles have been public knowledge for several years, going back to when they discontinued sales of appliances. They can't compete with Best Buy in the same market segment, or with WalMart on the low end.

This move is likely the beginning of the end for Circuit City.

Midtowner
11-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Circuit City's problem is the same thing which hit RadioShack (a place I worked for many years during high school and undergrad). They at one time had a tenured, knowledgeable, well trained and well compensated sales force. Upper management wanted to make short term profit gains, so they cut back on the sales force in terms of manpower and compensation. This, in turn has hurt their sales.

Also, by cutting back on experienced salespeople, they in turn destroyed the quality of the pool from which management was hired. Management in places like that is chosen from within. Middle management is also for that matter. The result of this policy is that after a few years, management consists of folks who at one time were happy to work for pay just about (or at) minimum wage -- there are a few good candidates in that talent pool, but generally, there's going to be higher theft, turnover and absenteeism.

You get what you pay for and Circuit City is reaping the rewards of their policy. Radioshack is too, for that matter.

jsibelius
11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
The mass firing of higher-paid employees happened about 2-1/2 or 3 years ago. They (quietly) realized they screwed up, or so I heard, and tried to rehire some of the employees they let go. But there was still the PR nightmare they created with the public, since we were also ticked off at them for treating their employees, and their customers, that way. Ultimately, this is the result.

I could kinda tell they were heading downhill when their glossy Sunday newspaper ads became smaller. Then they started putting them on rough paper instead of glossy paper. I wasn't actually doing any shopping there because I had already endured one too many customer service nightmares at their hands to give them any more chances. I've only been to Circuit City here in OKC once - to return a TV I bought in Texas when it stopped working properly. When forced, they actually honored the extended warranty we bought. Instead of buying another TV, we bought a bunch of small electronics that won't matter if they die.

hoya
11-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I've been to Circuit City about three or four times (also in Maryland and in OKC). The last time I went there was about five years ago. The service was terrible, and they had a guy standing by the door to check your bags when you leave. So I basically walked 10 feet from the register to the door, and the guy asks to look at my receipt and look in the bag.

This really irritates me.

So I start to make a big scene about it, start to just walk out the door and tell him to eff off, and he gives me this "please don't be mad, this is my job" look. So I let him look at the two DVDs that I bought, and I vow never to return there again. Unlike New Year's resolutions, this one I can keep. The terrible service doesn't make up for them basically accusing every customer of shoplifting.

Meanwhile, in OKC (not my area of Maryland, though), there's a handy Best Buy down the street, where the staff are helpful when you need them and leave you alone when you don't. They have better selection and their prices are lower. Hmm... I wonder why no one shops at Circuit City...

BB37
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Circuit City's problem is the same thing which hit RadioShack (a place I worked for many years during high school and undergrad). They at one time had a tenured, knowledgeable, well trained and well compensated sales force. Upper management wanted to make short term profit gains, so they cut back on the sales force in terms of manpower and compensation. This, in turn has hurt their sales.

Also, by cutting back on experienced salespeople, they in turn destroyed the quality of the pool from which management was hired. Management in places like that is chosen from within. Middle management is also for that matter. The result of this policy is that after a few years, management consists of folks who at one time were happy to work for pay just about (or at) minimum wage -- there are a few good candidates in that talent pool, but generally, there's going to be higher theft, turnover and absenteeism.

You get what you pay for and Circuit City is reaping the rewards of their policy. Radioshack is too, for that matter.

I had a couple of stints with RS back in the 70s and 80s. Their product pricing has hurt them also. Big ticket items (receivers, speakers, etc.) were always overpriced at regular list, and that was way before Best Buy, Circuit City and WalMart. Today, the only products that distinguish them from the big box retailers are connectors and adapters, and electronic parts like resistors, capacitors, etc; they're still just about the only game in town for those items.

BB37
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
The mass firing of higher-paid employees happened about 2-1/2 or 3 years ago. They (quietly) realized they screwed up, or so I heard, and tried to rehire some of the employees they let go. But there was still the PR nightmare they created with the public, since we were also ticked off at them for treating their employees, and their customers, that way. Ultimately, this is the result.

I could kinda tell they were heading downhill when their glossy Sunday newspaper ads became smaller. Then they started putting them on rough paper instead of glossy paper. I wasn't actually doing any shopping there because I had already endured one too many customer service nightmares at their hands to give them any more chances. I've only been to Circuit City here in OKC once - to return a TV I bought in Texas when it stopped working properly. When forced, they actually honored the extended warranty we bought. Instead of buying another TV, we bought a bunch of small electronics that won't matter if they die.

I noticed 2-3 weeks ago that CC had started printing their Sunday inserts on newsprint instead of glossy, so that kinda telegraphed the current crisis.

They'll probably have sales at the closing stores; I'd be real reluctant to purchase an 'extended warranty' from them, though. They'll probably be out of business before the 'extended warranty' expires.

Midtowner
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I had a couple of stints with RS back in the 70s and 80s. Their product pricing has hurt them also. Big ticket items (receivers, speakers, etc.) were always overpriced at regular list, and that was way before Best Buy, Circuit City and WalMart. Today, the only products that distinguish them from the big box retailers are connectors and adapters, and electronic parts like resistors, capacitors, etc; they're still just about the only game in town for those items.

It's been a while since you visited then. They have consolidated those parts down to little drawers. The selection is very, very limited.

Yesterday, I wanted to build a sort of 'booby trap' to scare off the SOB who has been stealing the wood off of my wood pile. I wanted a low voltage (9VDC) siren and some sort of switch I could actuate with a string and a small enclosure. Simple, right?

Nope. They didn't even have enclosures anymore. It was pathetic.

It seems they fancy themselves a store which now sells products which create residual income, e.g., cell phones and satellite systems. Trouble is -- no one goes there because if their products aren't overpriced, the accessories will be ($40 for a cell phone charger).

BB37
11-03-2008, 10:15 AM
It's been a while since you visited then. They have consolidated those parts down to little drawers. The selection is very, very limited.

Yesterday, I wanted to build a sort of 'booby trap' to scare off the SOB who has been stealing the wood off of my wood pile. I wanted a low voltage (9VDC) siren and some sort of switch I could actuate with a string and a small enclosure. Simple, right?

Nope. They didn't even have enclosures anymore. It was pathetic.

It seems they fancy themselves a store which now sells products which create residual income, e.g., cell phones and satellite systems. Trouble is -- no one goes there because if their products aren't overpriced, the accessories will be ($40 for a cell phone charger).

Back in the spring I had to build a burgular alarm for my daughter's science fair project (HER project, but Dad does all the work). IIRC, they did have a 2-3 types of enclosures, but I passed on 'em since this was a one-off project that would be gathering dust after the demo. Found everything else I needed.

I think Radio Shack will outlast Circuit City, but their long-term prospects don't look good.

jsibelius
11-03-2008, 03:02 PM

You're right about Radio Shack. If (maybe when) they go out of business - and they had a big personnel boo-boo just last year when they pink slipped a bunch of employees via e-mail - where on earth do you find all those unique adapters and connectors and the occasional employee who actually knows something about it? They really ARE the only game in town, as far as I know.

I noticed 2-3 weeks ago that CC had started printing their Sunday inserts on newsprint instead of glossy, so that kinda telegraphed the current crisis.

While I haven't been shopping at Circuit City, I HAVE been watching them closely ever since the mass firing. I noticed the newsprint ads probably 12-18 months ago. They hired a new CEO recently. Maybe hoping to turn things around? I think the guy's gonna be looking for a new job very soon. http://www.cruiselinefans.com/images/smilies/doh.gif

Midtowner
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Back in the spring I had to build a burgular alarm for my daughter's science fair project (HER project, but Dad does all the work). IIRC, they did have a 2-3 types of enclosures, but I passed on 'em since this was a one-off project that would be gathering dust after the demo. Found everything else I needed.

I think Radio Shack will outlast Circuit City, but their long-term prospects don't look good.

Trouble is I wanted everything to run off of a 9 volt battery. Burglar alarms, at least the Shack's variety run at 12VDC. I could run it off a big 'ol lantern battery, but I wanted it to be all stealthy-like.

Insider
11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
I went by the Circuit City in Norman yesterday. They are extremely over priced. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE "STORE CLOSING" SALE! IT IS A RIPOFF!

For instance, the Samsung TOC LN52A650 was 'on clearance' for $2550 at the Circuit City in Norman. The Circuit City website has it for $2399.99.

They are expecting you to walk in thinking you are getting a better deal than normal and will not pay close attention. BEWARE! Even the movies were overpriced. They marked all of the movies 20% off. I looked at 3-4 movies that were still $5-$10 more expensive than Best Buy and Walmart.

yukong
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I went by the Circuit City in Norman yesterday. They are extremely over priced. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE "STORE CLOSING" SALE! IT IS A RIPOFF!

For instance, the Samsung TOC LN52A650 was 'on clearance' for $2550 at the Circuit City in Norman. The Circuit City website has it for $2399.99.

They are expecting you to walk in thinking you are getting a better deal than normal and will not pay close attention. BEWARE! Even the movies were overpriced. They marked all of the movies 20% off. I looked at 3-4 movies that were still $5-$10 more expensive than Best Buy and Walmart.

Very common practice on going out of business sales. Psychology of "sale prices" and "%" off tags. This is why they were closed on Tuesday. They were marking items up, then putting the % off tags on them. I went into the store at NW Exp and Portland to look at SATA hard drives. I had priced some at Bestbuy and then went to CC. The close-out sale price at CC was several dollars more then the every day price at BB. Ripoff.

ultimatesooner
11-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I went to the one on NW Expressway yesterday as well, no deals worth buying but there were a lot of people in there spending $$

sgray
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I was over there when the line-o-lux entered the store at 10am and man it got quiet when everyone started looking at what they had done. I figured the 'deals' wouldn't be too good at first, but come one! The regular $5-6 'deal movies' were marked back up to their regular 'list price' of $9.99 to $14.99 and you can take 20% off that... YEAH RIGHT... forget that!

There were some people buying into it though...

jsibelius
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Liquidation Sales are not the good deals people think they are. Especially when Circuit City's credit is not so good at any of their stores. Anything they don't sell here can be trucked to a store that isn't closing to beef up their sales floor, which from what I understand, is running pretty thin these days.

bishop186
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
The thought of Circuit City closing shop around here saddens me. I honestly always preferred Circuit City to Best Buy. It always felt like a more professional store.

namellac
11-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I'd love to see a FRY'S electronics store here. Imagine a [Best Buy/Radio Shack/Office Depot/TigerDirect] all rolled up into a building the size of Bass Pro! I went for my first time in Houston last month. From resistors and capacitors, all the way up to 72" Flat Panels, and everything in between! Just incredible! NERD HEAVEN!

FRYS.com
http://images.frys.com/art/homepage/images/frysdotcom.gif

(http://www.frys.com/)

southernskye
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
We buy most of our computer parts online from Newegg, if we are in Austin then we go to Frys.

bishop186
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, man, Fry's. Back when I lived in California that was where I went. It is Nerdvana.

I'm with skye there, though, I buy most of my parts from Newegg now.

Bunty
11-06-2008, 03:31 PM

I'd rather have a Samsung 50" plasma, anyway. LCDs suck.

MadMonk
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Suck in terms of picture quality or what? I've been contemplating purchase a new TV and I've not done much research, but the LCDs that my relatives have look pretty good. Plasmas are nice, but expensive. I've also been hearing negativity concerning their longevity (though I haven't really researched it myself).

BB37
11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd love to see a FRY'S electronics store here. Imagine a [Best Buy/Radio Shack/Office Depot/TigerDirect] all rolled up into a building the size of Bass Pro! I went for my first time in Houston last month. From resistors and capacitors, all the way up to 72" Flat Panels, and everything in between! Just incredible! NERD HEAVEN!

FRYS.com
http://images.frys.com/art/homepage/images/frysdotcom.gif

(http://www.frys.com/)

Amen to that! Especially now that PC Club has gone under.

animeGhost
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Liquidation Sales are not the good deals people think they are. Especially when Circuit City's credit is not so good at any of their stores. Anything they don't sell here can be trucked to a store that isn't closing to beef up their sales floor, which from what I understand, is running pretty thin these days.

I work at the memorial and penn store they WILL NOT ship any inventory from the closing stores to the open ones... as far as circuit city is concerned those stores are now property of the liquidation company... and on the plasma vs. lcd... plasma is a superior technology but samsung does not make the best plasma panasonic does and generally they cost less than the sammies do if u dont believe me (understandable cause this sounds like a ccity ad lol) do your research check cnet and avs forums (dont believe a word consumer reports says, they either dont have a clue what they're talking about or someone is paying them big bucks to rate their product high)

sgray
11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
anime,

That's what the mgr at the nw expwy store told me...that they were going to sell rather than xfr.

Just out of curiosity, are they doing anything at all to help those that are suddenly out of work? Just wondering if they were moving any of them to other stores or doing anything halfway moral to help them out.

On the video monitors, I can vouch for that. I engineer on the professional A/V side of things and samsung might as well be 'great value' or 'always save' brand... Panasonic has held on good. Ten years ago and prior, they were one of the studio standard names...you can't go wrong with most panasonic gear. Pioneer monitors are expensive (and really hi-q), but we use them in the installs that can afford it. For most cheap or bid installs, you see a lot of NEC.

What I hate are these cheap parent companies buying out old household names from 50 years ago, like Westinghouse, etc...and putting that logo on the cheap imported unit, you know?

oneforone
11-07-2008, 01:51 AM
I visited the NW Expressway store. The manager on duty today told me the store belongs to the liquidation company. Circuit City corporate is now out of the picture.

Some of the remaining Circuit City employees at the store have been offered positions at other stores but at a lower rate. Most of the people I have talked to have chosen to find other employment. The positions they have been offered pay less than what they are making now.

On a side note most liquidation companies sell the items at a discount from full retail price. Due to competion from stores like Wal-Mart most CE stores sell their merchandise below retail price. In the end whatever the liquidation company does not sell gets sold to companies like Wall's and Hudson's. The fixtures and everything else will be auctioned off on site.

Hudsons Salvage, LLC (http://www.hudsonsdirtcheap.com/)

Walls Bargain Center (http://www.wallsbargaincenter.com/)

animeGhost
11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
like oneforone said i believe some of the employees were offered jobs at the other locations but there are plenty of opportunities else where for them. i kno a lot of times other companies like best buy, ultimate electronics and conn's will recruit employees from closing stores to try and beef up their experienced sales ppl. @ sgray. i do agree i have grown tired of seeing old american brands bought up by korean and japanese companies just to get their low end product re-badged

bigjkt405
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
So this may be a stupid question.... but do the "closed" Circuit City stores still accept Circuit City CC??

BB37
11-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Here's the next chapter in this story: Circuit City stores filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection today, citing "100,000 creditors as of August 31, and had $2.32 billion in debt and $3.4 billion in assets. The company owes Samsung Electronics a total of $116 million, Sony $60 million and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ: 34.17, -0.47, -1.35%) $119 million, according to The Wall Street Journal."

Circuit City Files For Bankruptcy Protection - FOXBusiness.com (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/retail/circuit-city-files-chapt--bankruptcy/)

Midtowner
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
So this may be a stupid question.... but do the "closed" Circuit City stores still accept Circuit City CC??

I really doubt it. The closed stores are now lock, stock, and barrel the sole property of the liquidation company. I doubt that company has, in this short time, managed to set up the necessary relationship with whatever bank was behind the CC credit card, and besides that, they probably wouldn't want to because some of the benefit (financial) of selling that credit card probably accrues to CC.

Feel free to check, but I really, really doubt it.

animeGhost
11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
i'm not 100% sure on the credit but from what i kno i believe they will be since their credit is done through chase bank and those cards are supposed to be accepted everywhere visa is.

oneforone
11-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I am willing to bet the remaining Oklahoma stores will close after the Christmas season. I think CC will probably be East Coast company if they are able to pull out of bankruptcy.

Then again I think you are seeing the begining of the end of CC. I just read online that LG and Samsung are thinking about pulling their merchandise out CC. If that happens, its over for CC.

animeGhost
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
i doubt they will be closing the remaining stores in this area. not only are they very profitable stores but there is a major distribution center located in ardmore. CC will probably try and remain viable as a national retailer. Remember this isn't the first time a major electronics retailer filed chapter 11, best buy did it in the 90's and ultimate has done it several times.

OKC4me
11-12-2008, 10:19 PM
So, does the penn/memorial store have any good prices on xbox 360 games and stuff?

jackirons
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Every time I went to the Circuit City on Northwest Expressway, there were less than 10 customers in the store. I like going there though because they normally have good deals and I was able to get a really good price on a laptop.

oneforone
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
If this happens you can guarantee other manufactures will follow.

Samsung Electronics America Dec. 2 said it is demanding that bankrupt Circuit City Stores return nearly $74 million worth of consumer electronics hardware, according to a U.S. bankruptcy court filing.

The Richfield Park, N.J.-based CE manufacturer, with Blu-ray players that were among Richmond, Va.-based Circuit City’s deeply discounted products over the Black Friday weekend, said last month it twice requested the return of shipments from Sept. 21 through Nov. 4.

Circuit City filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Nov. 10.

“Samsung now has reason to believe that Circuit City Stores was insolvent at the time it received the goods,” said the manufacturer in the filing.

A Circuit City representative was not immediately available for comment.

I think its time to plan the funeral for Circuit City.

yukong
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, just saw a story online that Circuit City was unable to find a buyer, or refinance, and thus they are closing down all stores and liquidating merchandise. Sad.

Also, in the same story, Kaybee Toys and Goodys clothing are gone.

Circuit City to liquidate remaining US stores (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95OBUM00&show_article=1&catnum=0)

bombermwc
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Yup, all of CC is liquidating. No stores are staying open. Then whole enterprise is gone folks.

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, I guess I don't need to buy an extended 3 year warranty from them again for my hdtv.

danielf1935
01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Extended warranties are a waste of your hard earned money. If you have any doubt of the product lasting longer than the factory warranty, maybe you should look at a different brand.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 01:15 PM
CC has been in dire straits for some time - the economic situation merely accelerated their downturn, I believe. They made some *really* strange moves over the years, from what I've read and seen. I personally have not been a big fan of CC since they entered the OKC market.

As a consequence of CC shuttering their stores, there are over 150 of them already have bankruptcy permission to break their leases while eliminating 34.000 jobs nationwide.

Fire sale starts Saturday, apparently. Website will cease on Jan 18th.

Ugly, ugly stuff.

oneforone
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
As I stated in an earlier post. Circuit City did not die because of the economy. Poor management and bad businesses decisions led to its demise.

I worked for the company for eight years. The people at corporate never listened to the people on the ground at the stores. We wanted to start a home install service years before Best Buy's Geek squad. We were told it would be a waste of money and nobody would use that kind of service.

We requested the OKC stores be moved to better locations. We were told the OKC market was too small. Yet a year later Best Buy relocates one store and eventually opens five more bring their total OKC store count to seven. My prediction is that Best Buy will open at least 3-5 more Oklahoma stores by the end of 2010.

The good news is that most of people that I knew back when I left the company in April of 08 were just like me. They seen the writing on the wall and found new jobs before the bankruptcy happend.

MikeOKC
01-16-2009, 03:02 PM
As I stated in an earlier post. Circuit City did not die because of the economy. Poor management and bad businesses decisions led to its demise.

I worked for the company for eight years. The people at corporate never listened to the people on the ground at the stores. We wanted to start a home install service years before Best Buy's Geek squad. We were told it would be a waste of money and nobody would use that kind of service.

We requested the OKC stores be moved to better locations. We were told the OKC market was too small. Yet a year later Best Buy relocates one store and eventually opens five more bring their total OKC store count to seven. My prediction is that Best Buy will open at least 3-5 more Oklahoma stores by the end of 2010.

The good news is that most of people that I knew back when I left the company in April of 08 were just like me. They seen the writing on the wall and found new jobs before the bankruptcy happend.

Service was always poor at Circuit City. As noted in this thread there were always people just standing around. At Best Buy you see employees helping people. I'm always asked at BB, several times, if I can be helped or am finding everything I need. The stores are bright and easy to find things. With Circuit City, I think bad service, poor lighting and drab maroon and gray atmosphere. Sometimes it's the little things and then sometimes it's the little things one on top of the other. Circuit City had too many little things wrong. Best Buy seems to be doing a lot of those little things right. How is Conn's doing in OKC? Seems they ended up with a lousy time to enter a new market.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
. How is Conn's doing in OKC? Seems they ended up with a lousy time to enter a new market.

I was YAWNINGLY unimpressed with Conn's. It looked like a warehouse they just threw some TV's and sofas in for good measure....doubt seriously I'll be back unless they have some really vicious sale on something specific, but I'm not holding my breath.

oneforone
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Service was always poor at Circuit City. As noted in this thread there were always people just standing around. At Best Buy you see employees helping people. I'm always asked at BB, several times, if I can be helped or am finding everything I need. The stores are bright and easy to find things. With Circuit City, I think bad service, poor lighting and drab maroon and gray atmosphere. Sometimes it's the little things and then sometimes it's the little things one on top of the other. Circuit City had too many little things wrong. Best Buy seems to be doing a lot of those little things right. How is Conn's doing in OKC? Seems they ended up with a lousy time to enter a new market.

I cannot speak for all stores but my stores biggest problem was staffing. Corporate expected us to run a store with only 1-2 people per department on any given day. To me Best Buy has more of a Wal-Mart feel to it. Piles and piles of stuff priced cheap to move it fast. Until Apr of 2007 Circuit City had the most knowledgeable sales staff in the industry.

The atmosphere is up the eye of the beholder. In some of the BB stores I shop it feels you see more teenagers playing grab ass then anything else. I know of many people who avoid Best Buy because it is too loud and the employees seem to be lacking when it comes to product knowledge. When I purchased my router it took three Best Buy sales people to answer my question.

Overall, I just want everyone to know the economy is not to blame. CC has been doomed since 2000 when they dumped major appliances.

MikeOKC
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I cannot speak for all stores but my stores biggest problem was staffing. Corporate expected us to run a store with only 1-2 people per department on any given day. To me Best Buy has more of a Wal-Mart feel to it. Pile and piles of stuff priced cheap to move it fast. Until Apr of 2007 Circuit City had the most knowledgeable sales staff in the industry.

The atmosphere is up the eye of the beholder. In some of the BB stores I shop it feels you see more teenagers playing grab ass then anything else. I know of many people who avoid Best Buy because it is too loud and the employees seem to be lacking when it comes to product knowledge. When I purchased my router it took three Best Buy sales people to answer my question.

Overall, I just want everyone to know the economy is not to blame. CC has been doomed since 2000 when they dumped major appliances.

They also tried to balance their books by getting rid of their trained people who were better paid and hiring people that knew nothing. Is that not right? Were you one of those that got the axe for actually knowing what you were talking about?

oneforone
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
They also tried to balance their books by getting rid of their trained people who were better paid and hiring people that knew nothing. Is that not right? Were you one of those that got the axe for actually knowing what you were talking about?

Yes, that was the goal. They told us that the cuts had to happen in order to keep the company out of serious debt.

In reality they should have just cracked down on the sales staff not meeting their sales goals.

I was supposed to be cut. I was making 11.50 an hour the cut was $10. Lucky for me I moved to home delivery a week before the axe fell. In Nov 07 rumors began circulating that more cuts were scheduled and delivery services were likely to be on the chopping block.

I left the company full time only working one or two days a week. Last april I got tired of playing the retail game and left for good.

Generals64
01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I was over there when the line-o-lux entered the store at 10am and man it got quiet when everyone started looking at what they had done. I figured the 'deals' wouldn't be too good at first, but come one! The regular $5-6 'deal movies' were marked back up to their regular 'list price' of $9.99 to $14.99 and you can take 20% off that... YEAH RIGHT... forget that!

There were some people buying into it though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The liquidation company is supposed to arrive mid-week next week...

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
CC employee advises that the liquidation at I-240 and Penn will start tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

As far as BB employees go, yeah, they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer. I got so aggravated listening to one of the laptop salesmen trying to convince me about some aspect of a particular Intel laptop CPU about which he was nearly clueless, I just had to walk away after I told him all the ways he was wrong.

I just make a point of going to BB knowing what I need, because I know they won't.

Kerry
01-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Maybe it is time to get some lenses and accessories for the Nikon camera. I also want to get a slingbox.

oneforone
01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I am curiou show bad CC's closing is going to affect Ardmore. They have a large distribution center down there that employees at least a couple hundred.

bluedogok
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I was YAWNINGLY unimpressed with Conn's. It looked like a warehouse they just threw some TV's and sofas in for good measure....doubt seriously I'll be back unless they have some really vicious sale on something specific, but I'm not holding my breath.
We have bought some appliances and a 32" TV that was 150 less than Costco at Conn's. They aren't meant to be "impressive looking" stores as they tend to be in older, previously abandoned store locations that tend to be cheaper. They do have good sale prices, they are list on most items but like most places you have to catch something there on sale.

They seem to be doing better than some of the other retailers.
MSN Money - Conn's expects 4Q profit above analysts' forecasts (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20090108&id=9497597)

BB37
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM
No surprise. Unfortunate, but no surprise.

fromdust
01-17-2009, 01:13 AM
I am curiou show bad CC's closing is going to affect Ardmore. They have a large distribution center down there that employees at least a couple hundred.

they just announced they will be closing all the remaining stores in the u.s. 34,000 employees just got their 60 day notice.

Circuit City liquidation sale to start today - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11473544?source=most_viewed)

oops, guess everyone knew this already. should have read page 2.:rolleyes:

OKCisOK4me
01-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Pardon me if this has already been mentioned. I just called this morning to the one on N. Penn and I jokingly asked if they were looking at 15 days & the lady said it's suppose to be about 90 days before they're done and closed for good.

SoonerDave
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Went to the I-240 store this morning, and there are no outlandish "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" sale anywhere. The salespeople tell you that prices are now full retail less 10% and, I didn't see *any* actual marked down prices.

There were some pretty interesting prices on large TV's, and that may or may not be in conjunction with the fact that Samsung was petitioning the bankruptcy court for return of something like $70 million in merchandise it believes was bought from them by CC when the company was already insolvent....*sigh*

I figure a week at 10%, then next week will be maybe 15% or 20%....

MikeOKC
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Remember when CompUSA went out of business? It was a joke! The percentages off "retail prices" sounds good until you realize that street prices are already significantly lower than "retail prices." I hated to see so many people getting ripped off by the liquidator. I saw people paying prices 25% more than what it sells for everyday at Newegg.com.

bluedogok
01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Yep, they had nothing that I couldn't buy anywhere else (local or online) for less.