View Full Version : Can we STOP fawning over the Hornets?

dcsooner
11-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Now that we have our OWN team can we stop (AT LEAST) all the time on this forum, Fawning over them. I enjoyed them while they we here, but they are gone and MY "real" home team is here. Enough Already.

Karried
11-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Now that we have our OWN team can we stop (AT LEAST) all the time on this forum, Fawning over them.

I don't think anyone is 'fawning' over the Hornets.

I referenced the team as I was enjoying the crowd atmosphere - it reminded me of how loud the crowds were when the Hornets were here.

betts
11-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I have a lot of interest in individual players on the Hornets, but little interest in the team as a whole. Since the team didn't leave under acrimonious circumstances, it will be really, really odd to play them this month, however. This game will be the first time a team plays in its' original city after having left without terribly rancorous feelings on the part of the fans, I would guess.

Turanacus
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know what fawning, acrimonious, nor rancorous even mean. Better whip out the dictionary to keep up with you guys.

We compare the Thunder to the Hornets because the Hornets are a good point of reference as we were familiar with them and the product they deliver, at least those of us are who went to most of the games.

If a seat in level 2 of the Ford Center costs $125 per game, I feel it's fair to be semi-critical on your bang for the buck, it won't be in on-the-court basketball.

It's not rocket science. This is a pointless thread, reminds me of a phone call into the Sports Animal. I'll take this one off the air.

BDP
11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't mind the comparisons so much if they weren't so romanticized. I'm not sure exactly what people are missing. There was plenty of entertainment and some of it was cooler than what the Hornets did. I honestly think that there is some nightingale effect with the Hornets. We were helping them and didn't expect much. Now we expect a lot and can't muster up excitement for the same things. I feel like someone is going to have to blow fire out of their ears at every time-out for some to enjoy it.

dcsooner
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
BDP you caught my point exactly!

jstanthrnme
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Has anyone heard the rumors that George Shinn is close to selling the Hornets, possibly to Steve Ballmer in Seattle?

ultimatesooner
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I still accidently call the Thunder the Hornets about 60% of the time

dcsooner
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
STOP IT UltimateSooner!!!!

metro
11-05-2008, 07:51 AM

I notice the crowd does too (myself sometimes as well, I have to catch myself), when the announcer says "Who's ball is it.........." The crowd was so used to saying "Hornet's ball". It sounds weird saying "Thunder or Thunder's ball......"

dcsooner
11-05-2008, 10:06 AM
STOP IT!!! Metro REPEAT AFTER ME. Whose Ball is it? THUNDER BALL. See now wasn't that EASY?

OKC4me
11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I have a lot of interest in individual players on the Hornets, but little interest in the team as a whole. Since the team didn't leave under acrimonious circumstances, it will be really, really odd to play them this month, however. This game will be the first time a team plays in its' original city after having left without terribly rancorous feelings on the part of the fans, I would guess.

I'm trying to sign up on your site in your signiture line, but it won't let me. It says that the administrator has closed it down.

Karried
11-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Try this:

OKC Thunder Fans Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.okcnbafans.com/vforum/index.php)

OKC4me
11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Hmm, nope, says the same thing! It did it yesterday too. I thought I'd just try it again today to see if it works.

AAC2005
11-06-2008, 07:16 AM

I swear I heard Bob Barry Jr. call them "The Hornets" during his Sunrise Sports segment this morning (11-06-08) while he was recapping the Thunder-Celtics game...

Turanacus
11-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Gossip, Rumors, whatever you call it.

So I heard some insider info, which may also answer some questions about why most people familiar with both teams prefer the Hornets' games between the two.

I've heard that a particular member of ownership has a heavy hand in every single decision. He's a tremendous micro-manager and won't delegate a single issue, every thing must go through and be approved by him.

We are talking about minor things such as Thunder Girls shoes, pom poms, etc. Also heard that the Thunder Girls' calendar has been sent back for it's 9th editing, for reasons such as airbrushing SMALLER boobs, more material on the swimsuits, less oil on the girls, etc.

He hates hip hop so that's why we are hearing organ-based music jacked from the Redhawks' games.

Nothing gets put in place unless approved by him personally, and they have to reflect his conservative, ultra-christian values.

Don't know for sure if this is true because I don't work in the organization, but this is what I heard from employees when they vent their frustrations in front of me.

Also, the Seattle PI said that the owner of the design firm based in OKC that worked on the logo was getting very frustrated with this gentleman because he shot down almost every single proposal they sent him. She is tired of her firm being blasted because of the final decision made by ownership.

metro
11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
You must be referring to Tom Ward, because I don't think the other owners are that way. Also, if the firm doesn't want to be blamed for the logo and didn't feel confident with it, they should have never presented it. A designer must be willing to stand behind their designs and if they aren't confident in their work, they shouldn't present it or take the job.