View Full Version : SandRidge may alter face of downtown

metro
10-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised no one posted this yet:

SandRidge’s transition may alter face of downtown
STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: October 29, 2008

SandRidge Energy is set to wrap up its move to the former Kerr-McGee tower within the next several weeks, and efforts are switching to what’s next for the remainder of the downtown block.

Marsha Wooden, vice president of administration, said about 200 employees have made the move as renovations continue in the tower’s 17th through 29th floors. By year end, she estimates 550 will be working in the tower.

Next on the list
Now up for review: the future of a handful of buildings surrounding the tower — some of which date to statehood — the former 12-story Globe Life garage purchased by SandRidge earlier this month for $3.5 million, and the adjoining Kerr and Couch Drive parks.

As head of New York City-based Rogers Marvel Architects, Robert Rogers is tasked with drawing up a plan for the property that benefits not just the company but the city as well.

"What is the block? What stays? What goes?” Rogers said. "It’s been clear from the beginning ... that the mission of moving downtown wasn’t just about where do you put these people, but where do you put these people in a way that is most effective for Oklahoma City.”

Rogers said his firm is well aware of unsuccessful wide open plazas created around downtown Oklahoma City towers built in the 1970s and he has no intention of creating a similar space around the former Kerr-McGee tower.

"We’re trying to look at the buildings in respect to their age and history, but also look at the block in terms of what it will mean for the next generation,” Rogers said "We haven’t reached a conclusion yet as to which buildings will stay or go.”

The problems
Rogers said the older buildings are not effective for today’s office users. "It’s (the Kerr McGee tower) been clambered around with the other buildings. I think the possibility that something will come down is pretty likely,” Rogers said.

What’s next
The planning ahead
A report, set to be delivered in March, will include how to best use the space surrounding the Kerr-McGee tower space. Architect Robert Rogers suggests the company could pursue new construction — a restaurant, daycare or an auditorium. Rogers’ firm is also looking at how the SandRidge headquarters might best spur creation of additional office space, condominiums, restaurants and shops.

wsucougz
10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
If the original facade of the India Temple is salvagable, I think Sandridge and/or the City should do what they can to restore that building. We've lost too much already.

shane453
10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
But if it's not salvageable, and they have a plan to fill the rest of the block with great newly constructed mixed use development in the heart of downtown...

CuatrodeMayo
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Rogers Marvel Architects (http://www.rogersmarvel.com/publicspaces.html)

wsucougz
10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
But if it's not salvageable, and they have a plan to fill the rest of the block with great newly constructed mixed use development in the heart of downtown...

Rock n' roll. I definitely like the choice of Architect - based on their past work, maybe they can incorporate the India Temple somehow.

Chicken In The Rough
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto is kick a--. Rogers Marvel advertises it on their website as having had a hand in its design.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/new-city-hall-nathan-phillips-square.jpg

If only OKC could have such an awesome gathering spot.

In the winter, the fountain is turned into an enormous ice rink. Famous figure skaters and hockey players make frequent publicity appearances there.

jbrown84
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I think its good that this firm has experience with new construction, adaptive reuse, and parks/public space. I'm confident this will be a responsible and high quality redevelopment.

SO glad that this wasn't the Preftakes block.

edcrunk
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
from what i'm hearing is that they are gonna tear down the parking elevator / garage thing and want to make the boulevard leading east from leadership square into a cool gathering spot with bars and what not.

CuatrodeMayo
12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
from what i'm hearing is that they are gonna tear down the parking elevator / garage thing and want to make the boulevard leading east from leadership square into a cool gathering spot with bars and what not.

You know, I didn't know about that elevator parking bulding/thing/whatever until last Friday evening when I was riding my bike and noticed it. That's a pretty rare and unique deal...you usually only find those in Manhattan.

jbrown84
12-31-2008, 09:03 AM

I'm having trouble picturing that.

Jesseda
12-31-2008, 09:07 AM
i always wanted to go to that parking elevator / garage thing, what exactly does it do?