View Full Version : OKC Council sets "beautification corridors"

metro
10-29-2008, 07:26 AM
It's about time.......

OKC Council approves ‘appearance corridor’ guidelines
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record October 29, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – City leaders unanimously approved a set of minimum beautification guidelines for “appearance corridors” throughout Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

The goal of the new policy is to create attractive gateways for residents and visitors to the city, supported by high-quality, new development, according to the amendment to the 2000-2020 comprehensive city plan.“It’s way overdue,” Councilman Skip Kelly said. “I would just like to see … that we continue to work aggressively toward really, really making this an appearance that we in Oklahoma City can be proud of.”

The idea of appearance corridors was formally introduced to the city plan development process earlier this year, but it lacked specifics on purpose, policies and actions. The amendment approved Tuesday set out five pages of such details, but did not identify individual corridors. The city plan provides guidance to the council and city staff on daily decisions in order to match long-term goals.

The general direction of the new appearance corridor policy includes establishing high-quality site design and signage; providing plant buffers and landscaping to soften the view of development; and minimizing the visual impact of expanses of parking and outdoor storage as seen from roadways.
To that end, all parcels abutting designated appearance corridors will be encouraged to rezone and design guidelines will be applied to all new developments and expansions abutting appearance corridors.

Although some of the guidelines provide specific details – sign heights and square-feet surface measurements, for example – the amendment is full of generalities and subjective expectations.

In the matter of signage, for example, “Subdued color and lighting of signs is preferred,” as are “signs that contribute to creating a unique image of the corridor.”

Another guideline says the visibility of buildings from distant vantage points should be minimized and not obstruct scenic views. Also, “all mechanical equipment should be screened from pubic view,” as should rooftops viewed from above.

So the amendment isn’t a strict ordinance that can be applied retroactivcely, city planner Russell Claus said – “The guidelines are written to encourage incremental improvement over time.”

Councilman Pete White urged caution: “I look at the Broadway Extension as it goes north of 23rd Street, on the west side is probably the most appearance-conscious neighborhood in Oklahoma City. And on the east side is a rail yard and industrial area that’s been year for years and years and has provided tons of jobs over time.”

He said, “I think we have to be very careful that we don’t send a message that we’re trying to make that more difficult for them.”

And in Councilman Larry McAtee’s ward, Interstate 40 would be considered an appearance corridor and at least three heavy industrial companies fall within the bounds of the new guidelines. But the Xerox and Lucent plants don’t have a negative impact on the city’s appearance, McAtee said.
Councilman Sam Bowman affirmed that the guidelines are meant to be flexible. He said that historically the most attractive land for industrial development have been along major traffic arteries because they needed easy access for transportation between major cities.

“So as we move toward this community appearance beautification concept … it’s hard because we’re working against something we put in motion for all these years,” Bowman said.

Mayor Mick Cornett said the city doesn’t want to discourage business development, “we just want to ensure there’s a higher level of oversight as to the way these corridors look in general.”

Claus said city staff will review which corridors should fall under the guidelines and discuss with property owners ways in which they can come closer to realizing those goals.

betts
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
The entrance to Oklahoma City when you are driving north on I-35 is not particularly appealing. I think this is a good idea, but perhaps we need to identify specific appearance corridors and have the city offer to do some of planning and implementation. Generalities like this make everyone feel good, but I'm not sure what they actually accomplish.

metro
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
betts, I agree, but the way I read the article, this is just the first step before the actual corridors are identified.

betts
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
betts, I agree, but the way I read the article, this is just the first step before the actual corridors are identified.

Ah, that would be better. I wasn't quite sure if that's what was intended or not. And again, I think that were the city to come up with design suggestions and perhaps tax credits or other incentives for implementation it would help ideas like this succeed.

jbrown84
10-29-2008, 02:13 PM
This is a great first step. Let's get moving on this.

dismayed
10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Great idea!

Turanacus
10-31-2008, 01:01 PM
McAtee needs to get the lamps on the Meridian Bridge fixed... I've contacted him several times about this during the last year.

supersooner
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have a link to these actual "guidelines" anywhere?