View Full Version : Bolero

Pages : [1] 2

metro
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, I know there is discussion about Bolero in different threads, but with it opening soon, I thought it deserved it's own thread. I was out biking yesterday (story in Oklahoma Today magazine prob in December), but took some pics of Bolero. Enjoy!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/2978940866_173ddb896c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2978952196_a331837c73.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2978095213_b2c90f8789.jpg?v=0

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Someone went to Sonic

metro
10-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Nah, not much of a Sonic fan. But I do welcome a much needed concept to OKC!

Don't you prefer BK over Sonic?

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
No id rather have BK

John
10-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Don't you prefer BK over Sonic?

No id rather have BK

:poke:

You tried, metro!

sooner05
10-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I was down there last night and they said that they were trying to get the tapas bar going tonight in time for the Thunder's first game.

jdweaver
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Had dinner at In the Raw last night and walked by and saw that Bolero had a bar area open. Open air. Very cool. Looks like the restaurant portion was getting very close to being completed.

btw, I think these two spots will do really well next to each other.

metro
11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree jweaver, they have a really nice vibe and open air restaurant atmosphere. I wish more places downtown had the open air concept like Bolero's bar does.

jbrown84
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
So In the Raw is already open?

jdweaver
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, I think they had a few soft openings last week, but I called and went in last night. They said it was there first official night being open.

Urbanized
11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I stopped in on Friday and had a couple of drinks and some appetizers. The bar was open with the Tapas menu, but the restaurant had yet to open. They were still setting up chairs, and I believe the expected to open this week. Nice vibe. I love the doors opening to the outside. Too bad it's at the tail end of the season, but it will make for some beautiful evenings come spring.

ddavidson8
11-04-2008, 06:38 PM
What exactly is this?

BDP
11-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Spanish Tapas.

lpecan
11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I am so conflicted about this place. I went there last night. The ambiance is awesome. They totally open the entire front window section giving you a trendy bar open to the air, which is really cool. They've got a very good winelist, though they had very little last night. That's forgivable, though, at a new place. And the tapas are excellent. (Full disclosure: I love tapas!)

Pricing, not price, is the problem. It seems they've got the prices all wrong. Its not that everything is expensive, its just that the prices are weird. Its 8.50 for a glass of Sangria, or $15 for a pitcher of about eight glasses. The tapas are really small, like they should be, but some push $16. At that point, you're better off buying entrees at $25. The point of tapas is that they are small and cheap, so you buy a lot of them and share them. Their entrees are also strangely priced. Paella for two is only $38. I think that's downright cheap. But Ropa Vieja, my favorite Cuban dish (which I've complained about the lack of elsewhere on this board) is $24. Ropa Vieja is great, but its not a $25 dish.

Anyway, its a mix of a tapas bar with Spanish/Cuban entrees. I'll be going back for sure. The tapas that we had were really good. I want to try the loma (sic) de puerco.

Also, I scanned the menu and am pasting it. If someone finds this annoying, or I'm committing some sort of awful copyright infringement (Midtowner?), I'll take it down.

BOLERO
Tapas Bar and Spanish Grill
Golden Fried Goat Cheese with Honey 7
Sizzling Scallops in Garlic Sauce 9
Skewered Chorizo in Red Wine 7
Steamed Mejilones (Mussels) 9
Three Olive Tapenade with Torta Frita 6
Artichoke Frito w/ Garlic aloli 6
SoftShell Crabs in White Wine and Garlic 15
Steamed Clams Basques 13
Calamares Frito w/ Salsa verde 11
Andalusian Meatballs 10
Grilled Chorizo with Queso Blanco 11
Tapas
Serrano wrapped Prawns in Cilantro Oil 14
Chicharron de Almejas (Fried Clams) 13
Skewered Pork Loin in Lemon and Oregano 10
Raw Oysters with Shallot Oil and Capers 17
Seasonal Seafood Ceviche 16
Piquello Peppers with Goat Cheese 10
Chicken Drums in Warm Tomato and Basil 12
Empanadas with Spicy Beef and Potato 13
Bacalao Croquettes en Sofrito 13
Sweet Dates wrapped in Tocino (Bacon) 12
Rock Shrimp (Manchego Gratin) 15
Sopa and Ensalada
Soupe de Cebolla
Steaming hot bowl of Onion Soup topped with Melted Manchago Cheese 6
Soncocho
Hearty Chicken, Vegetable and Avocado Soup
Andalusian Gazpacho
Chunky Tomato and Bread Soup
Marinated Roasted
Yellow and Red Pepper Salad
White Bean and Queso Azul
fresh Romaine and Grape Tomatoes with
Shallot Frita
Ensalada Verde
en dilantro vinaigrette with Tomato and Red
Onion
Entradas
Served with a choice of Papa Frita, Patatas Brava, Yucca Frita or Saffron Rice and Black Beans
with Seasonal Vegetable
Skewered Salmon and Scallops
wrapped in Serrano Ham
Brushed with Red Chile and Rosemary Oil
$28
Paella Bolero
Slow simmered stew of Fish, Shrimp Mussels, and Calamari or Beef and
Chicken Drums on Saffron Rice
For2 538
Polio de Mojo
Garlic and Oregano Marinated Half Chicken, Slow roasted and Garnished with Fried
Cilantro
$25
Loma de Puerco
Marinated Pork loin in Lemon and Cilantro then Oven
Roasted
Chuleta de Ternera
Pan Roasted Veal Chop, stuffed with Chorizo Fresh Cilantro and Adobo Seasoned Red Salsa
$32
Ropa Vieja
Shredded Flank Steak with Roasted Peppers and Onion served with Fried Plantains and Avocado
Atun (Ahi Tuna) Basque
Pan Seared to desired temperature with a spicy red pepper, white wine and caper sauce
$28
Pargo de Atalantic
Lightly Floured Atlantic Red Snapper, pan seared with a fresh Cilantro and Avocado Salsa
$27
Corvina Chilena y Camarones en Tamale Plantain
Fresh Chilean Sea Bass and Shrimp wrapped in Crushed Plantains and Steamed in a banana Leaf, served with Roasted Pineapple
Salsa
Filete
Grilled to desired temperature and serve with sherry onions
$39
Punta de Solomilo
Grilled Top Sirloin with Garlic and White Wine Sauce
$32
Tira de Nueva York
Brushed with Chimichurri, a flavorful mix of Cilantro, Garilc, Cumin, and Parsley, and cooked to your desired
I emperature.
$35
$24
BOLERO
Tapas Bar and Spanish Grill
Golden Fried Goat Cheese with Honey
Sizzling Scallops in Garlic Sauce
Skewered Chorizo in Red Wine
Skewered Mejillones (Mussels)
Three Olive Tapenade with Torta Frita
Artichoke Frito w/ Garlic aioli
SoftShell Crabs in White Wine and Garlic
Steamed Clams Basques
Calamares Frito w/ Salsa verde
Andalusian Meatballs
Grilled Chorizo with Queso Blanco
Tapas
Serrano wrapped Prawns in Cilantro Oil
Chicharron de Almejas (Fried Clams)
Skewered Pork Loin in Lemon and Oregano
Raw Oysters with Shallot Oil and Capers
Seasonal Seafood Ceviche
Pimienta stuffed with Goat Cheese
Chicken Drums in Warm Tomato and Basil
Empanadas with Spicy Chorizo and Potato
Bacalao Cr0 quettes en Sofrito
Sweet Dates wrapped in Tocino (Bacon)
Rock Shrimp en Manchego Gratin
Sopa and Ensalada
Soupe de Cebolla
Steaming hot bowl of Onion Soup topped with
Melted Manchago Cheese
Soncocho
Hearty Chicken, Vegetable and Avocado Soup
Andalusian Gazpacho
Chunky Tomato and Bread Soup
Lunch Entrees
All served with Papa Fritas, Yucca Fritas, Rice and Black Beans, or Ensalada Verde
Cuban Sandwich
Authentic Pork Shoulder and Ham with Queso,
Mustard/Mayo, and Pickle
Grilled Mojo Chicken Sandwich
Roasted Oregano, Garlic, Lime Chicken with
avocado and Cilantro on Torta Frita
Picadillo
Adobo Seasoned Ground Beef with Manzanilla
Olives, Onion and Red Peppers
Bistec con Chile Rojo
Tender 6oz top sirloin rubbed with red chile
Steamed Pork Tamale
Shredded pork and masa with avocado salsa
Grilled Salmon
Dusted with Adobo spice and Chimichurri

Doug Loudenback
11-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Great review, lpecan. I still don't know what a tapa is, but I'm ready to find out. That's a very intriguing menu.

foodiefan
11-08-2008, 06:28 AM
From Wikapedia. . .
According to legend, the tapa tradition began when Castile's King Alfonso the Wise recovered from an illness by drinking wine and nibbling small dishes between meals. After regaining his health, the king ordered taverns to serve their guests food along with wine and the tapas became a kind of loophole in the law to allow drinkers to imbibe alcohol.

According to The Joy of Cooking, the original tapas were the slices of bread or meat which sherry drinkers in Andalusian taverns used to cover their glasses between sips. This was a practical measure meant to prevent fruit flies from hovering over the sweet sherry. The meat used to cover the sherry was normally ham or chorizo, which are both very salty and activate thirst. Because of this, bartenders and restaurant owners began creating a variety of snacks to serve with sherry, thus increasing their alcohol sales.[1] Soon the lowly tapa (from tapa derived the verb tapar, "to cover") became as important as the sherry.

jbrown84
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
So the restaurant side is open now too? Do they have a website?

Doug Loudenback
11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
I couldn't fine one using google right now.

ddavidson8
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Spanish chorizo and jamon serrano rock my world. Of course in Spain you get either of those for free with the price of a drink (about $4). You are saving on airfare though.

metro
11-08-2008, 07:05 PM
So the restaurant side is open now too? Do they have a website?

jbrown, the way I read it he said he ordered tapas from the bar side and the restaurant side is opening soon.

jbrown84
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
He was talking about the entree prices, but maybe he was just reading a menu.

mecarr
11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I've been to tapas restaurants and I think they are amaznig...Basically to me, a tapa is miniature dish, similar to an appetizer but it's not your standard calamari or cheese fries. That's why the prices bother me some. Tapas are suppose to be cheap and small. Nevertheless, I'm excited about this restaurant and plan to visit.

OKC4me
11-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I just realized where this place is tonight. I haven't been down there in awhile, and saw it tonight. Are those apartments above it?

How is the bowling alley underneath it?

metro
11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I just realized where this place is tonight. I haven't been down there in awhile, and saw it tonight. Are those apartments above it?

No, condos, and most start at $300,000 plus. They are 100% sold.

jbrown84
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
RedPin Bowling Lounge is extremely popular. I've yet to go.

OKC4me
11-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I wonder if any of the NBA players own any of those condos?

Urbanized
11-11-2008, 08:14 AM

Red Pin is on the canal level, Bolero (and In the Raw, and Starbucks) are on the street level. The condos start on the next floor up.

The restaurant side is now open, though I haven't been. I did visit the bar again on Friday. I again ordered only from the Tapas menu (meatballs, skewered pork loin, bacon-wrapped dates). They were all good, especially the dates.

They (the bar and restaurant) are almost like two distinct businesses that serve the same menu. By that I mean that they are in different spaces, separated by the outdoor entry to the condo elevator vestibule. You have to walk outside to travel from one to the other.

The restaurant has the same doors that open fully to the sidewalk, creating an indoor/outdoor space. It will be fantastic in the spring. The door to the kitchen is only a double swinging metal door. I'm not sure how that works with the health department (I always thought a kitchen area had to be fully closed off to the outdoors), but I can't say that it bothers me.

taylor83
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I might have to check this place out this weekend. It sounds like a great addition to Bricktown, even though I usually stay away from that area.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen their wine list and if they serve sangria? Thanks!

Urbanized
11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
They do serve sangria. By the glass or by the pitcher.

betts
11-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Great looking menu! I'm excited about it and In the Raw. I don't think any NBA players live at the Centennial, because it was sold out long before any of them moved here. John Lucas was supposedly looking downtown, but that obviously didn't work out.

metro
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I wonder if any of the NBA players own any of those condos?

I doubt it considering they were 100% sold long before we had the team. Not impossible though, but I haven't heard of anyone reselling theirs since they've been waiting so long and finally are just getting all moved in there.

BFizzy
11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
They pretty much all live in Edmond except for PJ who lives in the 360 tower.

johnnyincog
11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I doubt it considering they were 100% sold long before we had the team. Not impossible though, but I haven't heard of anyone reselling theirs since they've been waiting so long and finally are just getting all moved in there.

this one has been on the maket for a couple of months. $400/sq ft. doesnt have a long list of buyers in OK.

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=73104&sid=dfa7392d3591432295adad255efe14ec&lid=1101331812&lsn=1&srcnt=13

metro
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Exactly johnny, who would pay $800K for that in Lower Bricktown. I mean it's nice, but its traditional style inside and the finishings aren't that high end to justify as much as one of the Brownstones which are MUCH nicer, larger and have nicer finishings.

jbrown84
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah the Brownstones are worth their high prices. Extremely well built and phenomenal interiors.

The Centennial, no so much from what I've seen.

BDP
11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
They might have been worth it if there was more of them down there. I think people here get too hung up on price per square feet. Location and lifestyle have a lot to do with real estate value and if there was more value in living lower bricktown, then I could see, but Hogan just didn't do a good job of maximizing the space in such a way that makes it livable. We don't see a lot of location premiums in OKC, because so much of it is the same, but downtown is one area that can justify it if done right. The stuff in the triangle has a chance if it can continue to expand and maintain good occupancy. There is much more potential for density there.

metro
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
They might have been worth it if there was more of them down there. I think people here get too hung up on price per square feet. Location and lifestyle have a lot to do with real estate value and if there was more value in living lower bricktown, then I could see, but Hogan just didn't do a good job of maximizing the space in such a way that makes it livable. We don't see a lot of location premiums in OKC, because so much of it is the same, but downtown is one area that can justify it if done right. The stuff in the triangle has a chance if it can continue to expand and maintain good occupancy. There is much more potential for density there.

Only person I know that gets hung up on pp/sq/ft is Mid. I had no problem buying my condo (and no I didn't buy a high end one). There are still some deals out there if you look hard. I agree, some people still don't get your buying prime land and a lifestyle. Everyone is out to make a "good investment" so they can flip it one day. I'm all for making a sound investment and some money, but that mentality is what got us into this mortgage/financial fiasco in the first place.

BDP
11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that my wife and I ate at Bolero. Unfortunately, we were pretty unimpressed. We had:

Artichoke Frito w/ Garlic aloli
Empanadas with Spicy Beef and Potato

And my wife got a salad. We would have gotten more, but weren't very confident after we had the above. The only thing I'd get again is the empanadas, and I don't think they're enough to get us back.

We may go back to try the entrees at some point, as they sound good, but we were really hoping for OKC to finally get a good Tapas place and couldn't get fired up about it. We did notice that In The Raw is open and we hope to try it next week before a game.

Hopefully, we just got the wrong stuff, but 1 out of 5 isn't all that great, imo, especially for a type of food we typically love.

progressiveboy
11-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that my wife and I ate at Bolero. Unfortunately, we were pretty unimpressed. We had:

Artichoke Frito w/ Garlic aloli
Empanadas with Spicy Beef and Potato

And my wife got a salad. We would have gotten more, but weren't very confident after we had the above. The only thing I'd get again is the empanadas, and I don't think they're enough to get us back.

We may go back to try the entrees at some point, as they sound good, but we were really hoping for OKC to finally get a good Tapas place and couldn't get fired up about it. We did notice that In The Raw is open and we hope to try it next week before a game.

Hopefully, we just got the wrong stuff, but 1 out of 5 isn't all that great, imo, especially for a type of food we typically love. Just curious? What was it about it that left you unimpressed? I personally would have made a comment to management that you were not impressed so that this new concept to OKC can work out the kinks and they would get feedback so they can make improvements to the menu. I think this is a great concept for the local dining scene and adds a diverse selection instead of the typical Mexican joints and fanfare that dot the city.

BDP
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
What was it about it that left you unimpressed?

Taste.

I'm not a food critic, so I'm not good at putting it into words, but I'll try:

the garlic scallops didn't have much garlic flavor... just a wine sauce that tasted like the alcohol was not cooked off of an unimpressive wine.

The chorizo dish was surprisingly bland. So, it was really just kind of a smokey flavor with a bland cheese.

The artichokes were okay, but nothing special. The aioli was more mayo tasting than anything.

The chicken drums sauce was too sweet and the chicken itself was too big and chewy.

The empanadas were good and I may have them as an appetizer if I go back to the bar, which looked cool. Overall, just not many exciting flavors, which really surprised me at a Tapas place.

John
11-18-2008, 01:47 PM
the garlic scallops didn't have much garlic flavor... just a wine sauce that tasted like the alcohol was not cooked off of an unimpressive wine.

Alcohol 'cooking off' is a myth...

BDP
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I've heard that, too. And while it's not entirely true (most of it can cook off, but rarely does it all cook off. Depends a little on heat and a lot on time), my point was more about what it tasted like than what the actual remaining alcohol content was relative to what it was when it was placed in the pan. In the end, an alcohol taste was more prevalent than garlic or any other aspect of the wine, whether that actually came from the alcohol chemical found in the wine, I don't know.

jbkrems
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I went tonight, for the first and NOT the last time. Bolero is a great tapas restaurant.

I ordered the chorizo in red wine skewers, the white bean salad, the meatballs, and the skewered pork loin. I asked for some sides with my pork, and they gave me potatoes and veggies for FREE!!! Everything I ordered was great, and I would definitely go back. I also met some of the owner's investor friends and we had a great night chatting it up.

I definitely will recommend Bolero.

mecarr
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I went tonight, for the first and NOT the last time. Bolero is a great tapas restaurant.

I ordered the chorizo in red wine skewers, the white bean salad, the meatballs, and the skewered pork loin. I asked for some sides with my pork, and they gave me potatoes and veggies for FREE!!! Everything I ordered was great, and I would definitely go back. I also met some of the owner's investor friends and we had a great night chatting it up.

I definitely will recommend Bolero.

That's good to know. I'll check it out.

BailJumper
11-22-2008, 10:55 AM
We were in Bricktown last night for a movie and then went for a chilly walk afterwards. Walked by In the Raw and Bolero. In the Raw was packed at 9:20pm on a Friday. Bolero though was literally completely empty. Just a sign outside advertising their $32 steak special and two waitresses standing at the door. One was one her cell phone and the other just smiled limply as we walked by and shrugged her shoulders. Their bar had maybe 10 people inside but the restaurant was very sad looking indeed.

jbrown84
11-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Yikes.

jbkrems
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Bolero definitely needs to boost its marketing. It does have great food, though. That's sad to see it empty on a Friday night, when it should be humming.

jbrown84
11-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen any ads for it like in the Gazette or anything.

BailJumper
11-22-2008, 01:35 PM
It didn't really even look like a restaurant to us. Looked like tables setup for a private event. They needed a menu on the door and I'd told the people at the bar "free appetizer" if you take your bar service in the restaurant - just to get bodies in the room to attract more.

Pretty sad when StarBucks is packed next door and you're not.

metro
11-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I haven't seen any ads for it like in the Gazette or anything.

They've had decent sized ads in the Gazette for weeks, at least a month or so before they opened.

mecarr
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I walked by it one time and wasn't even sure if it was a restaurant or not. Most people wouldn't know by seeing a sign that says "bolero" that it is a restaurant. We were gonna go there the other night for dinner but the place is really pricey. Instead, we want to In the Raw which was great and very affordable.

I did see an article about Bolero in the weeks Gazette, it was a small blurb.

southernskye
11-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Does Bolero have a website?

BailJumper
11-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I've Googled it and got lots of links, but no home page.

rikkijade
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Just wait until the grand opening in two weeks!

JRDave
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Here is a link to a review by Journal Record Managing Editor Ted Streuli. I can sum up his reaction in two words:

NOT IMPRESSED!

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=94057)

betts
11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I had tapas in the bar last night: chorizo with queso fundido, drumsticks in tomato sauce, beef and potato empanadas, calmari and rock shrimp. My assessment: good, but not great. I'd like to try the restaurant. That bar was fairly full, especially considering that we were there pre-game and the restaurant was filling up as we were leaving.

jbkrems
11-29-2008, 08:19 PM
The restaurant has the same menu as the bar, except for added entrees and so forth. When I went there for dinner, I ordered several tapas as well. I would encourage you to try:

Chorizo skewers in red wine
White bean salad
Meatballs
Pork loin

It was all very good.

jbrown84
11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
How was the crowd when you went, jb?

jbkrems
11-30-2008, 11:21 PM
The bar was full, but the restaurant was almost empty. There was a large party in the bar. However, this was a Tuesday night. I did not expect a crowd on a Tuesday.

JRDave
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Here is an online review that was out Friday in the Journal Record about Bolero titled:
"Fabulous Food: Not at Bricktown’s Bolero"

Verdict? Not so good...

"I am going to save you $100 ... maybe $150.

Boléro is the most popular piece of music by French composer Maurice Ravel. It’s hot. It’s steamy. It’s climactic.

If only I could say the same for the food at the new Bricktown restaurant by the same name!"

Click HERE (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=94057)to read it all...