View Full Version : Ideal OKC Weekend

OKCMallen
10-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Hypothetical- a visitor is coming into town from out-of-state and has never been to OKC and knows very little about our fair burg. From Thursday night through Sunday, what do you think are some must-hit activities, locations, and restaurants?

I'm thinking:
Bombing Memorial
Walk around Bricktown
Eischen's
Cheever's

Any other good ones? Nothing TOO touristy...

metro
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Depends what weekend they are coming. There might be a nice local event going on. Also the "bombing" Memorial is known as the OKC National Memorial and Museum. "Bombing Memorial" sounds kind of offensive.

The OKC Museum of Art and/or Civic Center would be nice to take them to. Show them the Chesapeake Boathouse and future site of the AICCM. Underground might be a nice surprise. CHFWHM is a good stop too. Pops? Asian District, Red Prime, Deep Deuce, MidTown, Paseo would also be worthwhile.

OKCMallen
10-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Depends what weekend they are coming. There might be a nice local event going on. Also the "bombing" Memorial is known as the OKC National Memorial and Museum. "Bombing Memorial" sounds kind of offensive.

Sorry to offend your delicate sensitivities. I've lived here basically my entire life and have never heard ANYONE call it that outloud except maybe an employee there.

GWB
10-27-2008, 11:43 AM

The OKC Museum of Art and/or Civic Center would be nice to take them to. Show them the Chesapeake Boathouse and future site of the AICCM. Underground might be a nice surprise. CHFWHM is a good stop too. Pops? Asian District, Red Prime, Deep Deuce, MidTown, Paseo would also be worthwhile.

I like what you suggested. How about a nice walk over at Lake Hefner, and possibly eat at one of the restaurants with the nice ocean...I mean, lake view? Right now, I'm sitting in Starbucks on Campus Corner and it's bustling down here. OU campus and Campus Corner with all of the restaurants and bars would kinda cool too.

BDP
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd consider the Paseo Grill with drinks at Isis afterwards. That gives you an excuse to show them the historic areas and my guests usually seem to come away saying that the Paseo district is one of the biggest surprises. The Chihuly exhibit is also a ringer.

You might go MidTown over Bricktown to avoid the tourist vibe. And, of course, Western is always good if they like going out after dinner.

westsidesooner
10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I like your ideas. The Oklahoma city National memorial is a must see. And depending on the time of year an afternoon game at the brick. Esp Bedlam. The Zoo (touristy I know) The okc art museum. Remington park. And the Oklahoma history center and cowboy hall of fame (again touristy but for someone who has never been here before they would both be great educational tools)

Depending on the visitor I would possibly suggest a tour of the National severe storms lab in Norman. Or the Storm Prediction center. When people think of Oklahoma they think of storms, so it could be interesting. But I believe you have to register for the tour first because of security reasons. If they like football theres the Barry switzer center. And for a restaurant for visitors you cant beat Cattlemens Cafe.

I'm glad you posed this question. Last year I was talking to a couple who were visiting from Calgary and they asked for a good spot for an outdoor picnic. We suggested the myriad gardens. Anyone know of a good place for a picnic? I couldnt really think of any so Ill be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions.

supersooner
10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
We actually just did this with some friends a couple of weeks ago. We did the Bricktown thing, and no one really enjoyed it. They all liked that it was crap 15 yrs ago and has changed, but whats there didn't really impress anyone. They liked the housing going up though. The stuff north of bricktown, not the stuff in bricktown. They live rurally in nebraska but all travel a lot and it wasn't anything that they would consider a "destination". We didn't make it out to Eischens, but did the Red Prime, out to Pops, dinner at Lake Hefner, breakfast at Cattlemans, and the ladies shopped in Edmond. Also went downtown to the Farmers Market and got a crapload of pumpkins and straw bales for decoration, and pie. We did Campus Corner last fall and they loved it. They wanted to go there after we did the evening in bricktown, but didn’t have enough nights. We did the Paseo Arts Fair last year, and they loved it. We might do Bricktown again, but probably just for a baseball game or something.

BDP
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
they asked for a good spot for an outdoor picnic. We suggested the myriad gardens. Anyone know of a good place for a picnic?

Myriad Gardens is probably the best for visitors, I would think. My favorite neighborhood park is Edgemere Park, so if they're looking for something more tucked away, that's an idea.

TaoMaas
10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
You might consider going to the Okla. History Center and/or taking a walk around the Capital Bldg.

okcustu
10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Places to eat:
lunch at Irma's
dinner at in the Asian District (pho or Grand House)
desert at The Grateful Bean
another great idea is just stroll around the CBD at night its beautiful and i've always felt safe

Doug Loudenback
10-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Whether making a speech or entertaining someone from out of town, the "rule" is: What would be interesting to your audience? Audiences vary. Some will want to go the bombing memorial (not me ... I only take visitors there if they ask) ... some are interested in urban development ... some just want really good food ... some want to revisit places they once knew that are now quite different, etc. Consider what your guests' interests are and you'll come up with something good.

If you have no clue, then pick 4 or 5 venues that are especially popular with you. Unless you have remarkably unusual tastes, that should work just fine, too.

southernskye
10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
UMMM Dallas LOL

Other than the memorial , zoo , and food I can't think of a whole lot to take visitors to do.

mecarr
10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry to offend your delicate sensitivities. I've lived here basically my entire life and have never heard ANYONE call it that outloud except maybe an employee there.

ditto.

Doug Loudenback
10-28-2008, 06:23 AM
UMMM Dallas LOL

Other than the memorial , zoo , and food I can't think of a whole lot to take visitors to do.
Here a few that quickly come to mind ...

Oklahoma City Museum of Art, downtown
Cowboy Hall & Western Heritage Center, NE Okc
Land Run Monument south of Bass Pro, east of downtown
Chesapeake Boat House -- park & take a walk, east of downtown
Martin Nature Park in far NW Okc, 5000 W Memorial Rd
Drive all the way around Lake Overholser
Blue Sage Studios at 1218 N. Western and watch glass art be blown
Oklahoma History Center slightly NE of the State Capitol, 2401 N Laird Ave
The State Capitol -- have a look at the murals, NE 23rd & Lincoln
Remington Park -- bet a few dollars, make thousands ( :) ) , north of the zoo
Take a ride on the Bricktown Canal

metro
10-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Places to eat:
lunch at Irma's
dinner at in the Asian District (pho or Grand House)
desert at The Grateful Bean
another great idea is just stroll around the CBD at night its beautiful and i've always felt safe

It'd have to be dessert for lunch because Grateful Bean closes early and isn't open at night.

kevinpate
10-29-2008, 05:47 AM
There's always interesting art on display at the capitol (use west ground level entrance) in addition to the permanent artwork available

JRB Art at The Elms, 28th and Walker

Do a foot tour of some of the Draper areas that are closed to vehicle traffic.

Mama E's for an early comfort food dinner perhaps

metro
10-29-2008, 07:48 AM
UMMM Dallas LOL

If you're so bitter at OKC based upon most of your posts, why are you living here? OKC has plenty to do and offer, you need to get out and explore it and quit complaining about our great city all the time. We worked hard to get here. Like the Gazette says, if you're bored in this town, it's not our fault.

westsidesooner
10-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Myriad Gardens is probably the best for visitors, I would think. My favorite neighborhood park is Edgemere Park, so if they're looking for something more tucked away, that's an idea. Thanks BDP I hadn't considered the neighborhood parks. I kept thinking Will Rogers...no, they'll get beaned in the head with a frisbee. Same for woodson, plus I dont think its very attractive. Martin park? does it have a place for picnics? And the one on I-44 South Lakes I believe...but Ive never been there so I wasnt sure Thanks again...

kevinpate
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
South Lakes is nice, unless it's soccer day, then it's well doccer day, lol.

There's always Trosper park, but frisbees to the head at WR are likely preferable to having your guests stumble upon other guests at the park.

BDP
10-29-2008, 09:41 AM

You need to get out more.

Mr. T in OKC
10-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Some friends of mine visited from Ft. Worth and here is what we did on Saturday.

Watched the OU vs KSU game at Louis at the Lake. (it was a nice view and cool to see someone speeding by on a unicycle every now and then.)

We went to McNellie's and watched the Ghouls Gone Wild parade.

We went to the Bricktown Brewery and waited for our reservation time at Stooges comedy club (which is not nearly as good as The Looney Bin IMO)

Sunday we walked around downtown, bricktown, and the OKC National Memorial.

Everyone had a great time and one of them is ready to move to OKC!

jbrown84
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
UMMM Dallas LOL

Go away.

Thanks BDP I hadn't considered the neighborhood parks. I kept thinking Will Rogers...no, they'll get beaned in the head with a frisbee. Same for woodson, plus I dont think its very attractive. Martin park? does it have a place for picnics?

Edgemere is a very nice park. Martin Nature Park definitely has places to picnic but is more "rustic". Will Rogers is a great place, just stay over in the Rose Garden area. No frisbees there. In fact, I picnicked there the only time I've picknicked in OKC. (although right now it's torn up for construction of some sort).

Here's my plan:

Thursday
-Dinner at Irma's or Cafe do Brasil in Midtown
-visit Nault Fine Art across the street from Plaza Court, then show them the view from atop the Plaza Court under the sign.
-finish with drinks at McNellie's

Friday
-breakfast at Classen Grill
-visit the capitol, including the latest art exhibition
-lunch in the Asian district at Grand House or Sala Thai, or even Lee's Sandwiches
-Visit the Paseo for the First Friday Night Walk. Make sure to go to JRB Art at the Elms
-Dinner at Paseo Grill

Saturday
-visit the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and show off the Chihuly collection
-lunch somewhere in Bricktown, followed by a canal ride or a visit to the land run monument & Regatta Park
-dinner at Red Prime Steak or Trattoria il Centro
-take in a show by one of our local theatre companies or an art film at OKCMOA
-show them the Memorial at night

Sunday
-brunch at Cafe Nova or Soliel
-historic neighborhood drive through Crown Heights, Edgemere Park, and Heritage Hills

Other options:
RedPin Bowling Lounge
Stooges Comedy Club
Maker's Cigar Lounge
Red Piano
National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum
the Zoo
International Photography Hall of Fame
Harn Homestead (especially w/ kids)
Oklahoma Heritage Center
Oklahoma History Center
Pops
the Round Barn
IAO Gallery
Untitled [Artspace]
Cattlemen's/Stockyards City
Iguana Mexican Grill
La Luna
Musashi's

PennyQuilts
10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
There's always Trosper park, but frisbees to the head at WR are likely preferable to having your guests stumble upon other guests at the park.

I had the exact same thought ...

angel27
10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
very nice, JB!

OKCMallen
11-03-2008, 07:48 AM
JB, for the win!

jbrown84
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Haha, thanks.