View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

old okie
10-26-2008, 09:52 AM
The discussion about John A. Brown's started me thinking about many places that are no longer here that I really miss. I'm going by memory here, so I may misspell some of the names (feel free to correct me!), but here is my list. :)

St. John's (the clothes were wonderful!)
Pappagallo's (best shoe store ever!)
Ralph Lauren shop (in 50 Penn Place)
Laura Ashley shop (in 50 Penn Place)
Rothchild's

Stefanie's (heart healthy food/restaurant)
Glen's Hickory Inn
Dairy Queen
Chinese restaurant in Shawnee est. by Ann & George Ing
Pinnochio's (salad/pizza/sandwich shop in Norman)
Queen Ann Cafeteria
Anna Maude's (best cafeteria ever!)

Continental Theater

The Plum Tree
Caddeedid Gifts (MWC; I'm sure I've blown the spelling!)

Anyone else?

ddavidson8
10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I miss the Continental as well. I also loved going to the Quail Twin as a kid. I loved the charm of French Market Mall and the smell of the Cigar Shop. They had a great old pipe sign. I am too young to really remember if the Mall itself was ever viable, but I loved wandering through the empty place in the years before it was gutted.

I really miss Laredos.

MrBojangles
10-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Harrigan's

dismayed
10-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh those Harrigan's dinner rolls. Mmmmmm.

zrfdude
10-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I miss Casa Bonita! I know most people say their "Mexican" food was horrible, but I loved every bit of it. I remember coming to the one in OKC one time before it closed. I lived in eastern OK at the time and so I mostly went to the one in Tulsa but it has closed down and changed hands. I think the one in Tulsa may have reopened under a different name, and the only Casa Bonita left is the Denver one.

bornhere
10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
The Madison Shop

rondvu
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Michael's Plum
Gibsons
OTASCO
Streets
TG&Y
Shotgun Sams
and who could forget there's a world of fun at Wonderful Tammy Lynn

Midtowner
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
The Boar's Head.

Otherwise, I'm fine with whatever's gone. I don't get all that attached to retail establishments. I just liked the Boar's Head because they let me play (and drink there, for free) well before I was 21. The owners there were very supportive of the local music scene, and I recall they had an excellent stage setup.

scootinger
10-27-2008, 01:38 AM
interesting that you mention Dairy Queen...I find it odd that Dairy Queen has never been able to stay in business around here. is it because Braum's is so popular here?

metro
10-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I miss the Continental as well. I also loved going to the Quail Twin as a kid. I loved the charm of French Market Mall and the smell of the Cigar Shop. They had a great old pipe sign. I am too young to really remember if the Mall itself was ever viable, but I loved wandering through the empty place in the years before it was gutted.

I really miss Laredos.

Laredo's is rebuilding (about 3 years now on the project). Hopefully they will have it soon as it looks about 90% complete, they've just been incredibly slowwwwwwwww. It's over by the Belle Isle Chili's.

metro
10-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I miss Casa Bonita! I know most people say their "Mexican" food was horrible, but I loved every bit of it. I remember coming to the one in OKC one time before it closed. I lived in eastern OK at the time and so I mostly went to the one in Tulsa but it has closed down and changed hands. I think the one in Tulsa may have reopened under a different name, and the only Casa Bonita left is the Denver one.

I agree. I wish we still had Casa Bonita! I heard the Tulsa one is going to reopen this year or next.

metro
10-27-2008, 08:36 AM
interesting that you mention Dairy Queen...I find it odd that Dairy Queen has never been able to stay in business around here. is it because Braum's is so popular here?

No.

warreng88
10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I am originally from the Tulsa area and I miss Reasor's. I used to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart then food would start going bad much earlier than the exp date. Then we started going to Target to get groceries, but I would like an Oklahoma based company with competitive prices.

metro
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
warren, how about shopping at Crest then? They are locally based and competitive.

southernskye
10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Laredo's is rebuilding (about 3 years now on the project). Hopefully they will have it soon as it looks about 90% complete, they've just been incredibly slowwwwwwwww. It's over by the Belle Isle Chili's.

Is that the building next to the I hop ?

metro
10-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Is that the building next to the I hop ?

yes

jsibelius
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Sonic seems to be picking up where Dairy Queen is dying off. Back in the 1980s, Dairy Queen was the definition of small town Texas (I have to use Texas because that's what I know). If you had a Dairy Queen, you were a real town. If not, well...

Now, the Dairy Queens are all going out of business (even where no one ever heard of Braums). Sonic is moving in to fill the void. All the small towns have Sonic now. Good job, Sonic (local company).

westsidesooner
10-27-2008, 11:21 AM

I really miss Laredos.

Ditto on everything you said..Continental was the best theatre and I also loved walking around in French Market Mall...I dont know why...probably the first place I remember seeing mall walkers. We always walked around before getting in the neverending line at furrs.

I know some of these have already been mentioned but heres my list.

Kips Big Boy on may ave.
Dairy Queen
Shotgun Sams
Across the street (may and Hefner)
Eagles Nest
Split T
Molly Murphys
Glens Hickory Inn
All the cafetrerias (I dont know why)
Casa Bonita
Bonapartes Drive In
Taco Tico (loved their taco burgers)
Burger Shack..(Only open for a short time at Rockwell and 39th) best burgers!

and there was a breakfast type diner at May and Grand that changed names several times...seems like it had a putting green...I cant remember the name. Alot of restaurants..I must be getting hungry.

Otasco.. I miss Timothy
TG&Y
Hook and slice
The original hobby lobby
The original Beverlys
Anthonys

OKCMallen
10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
The Boar's Head.

Good call.

LM401
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I am originally from the Tulsa area and I miss Reasor's. I used to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart then food would start going bad much earlier than the exp date. Then we started going to Target to get groceries, but I would like an Oklahoma based company with competitive prices.

I also recommend Crest. I lived in Tulsa for a few years, and Reasor's prices aren't nearly as competitive as Crest.

amylynn5656
10-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Molly Murphys!! * sigh *

bluedogok
10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
and there was a breakfast type diner at May and Grand that changed names several times...seems like it had a putting green...I cant remember the name. Alot of restaurants..I must be getting hungry.
The Girlie Pancake House....we're stacked better

I worked at the Sound Warehouse next door.

There are still Dairy Queens all over Texas, we have one about a mile from our house. The OKC franchisee has always seemed to be in trouble, I grew up going to the one at 16th & Meridian. I know they rebuilt the ones in Edmond (Second Street just east of UCO) and Midwest City (by the Albertsons near Reno & Midwest Blvd. maybe) in the mid-90's, are they still open?

tulsooner
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree with Harrigan's, their cheese rolls were the best. Also, as a kid I miss Crystal's pizza. What could be better eating pizza and watching cartoons and the Three Stooges.

Nabber
10-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Sandman's Coffee House on NW 23rd
"The Hot Shop" in Penn Square mall
"Nothing but Noodles" in Bricktown

metro
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Nabber, there is still a "Nothing But Noodles" at Quail Springs on Memorial (the original one) across from the mall. I believe it's just called "Noodles" now but it is still the exact same concept and same owners (same as Bricktown too), they just got tired of paying franchise fee so changed the name. Same food and owners though.

ddavidson8
10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I know some of these have already been mentioned but heres my list.

Kips Big Boy on may ave.

Where was the Kips? I remember there being one on Reno where the On the Border is now.

bluedogok
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
31st and May? I think it is where Ridgway's was for awhile. The one on Reno came much later than the one on May.

westsidesooner
10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Where was the Kips? I remember there being one on Reno where the On the Border is now.
It was at 31st and May...I think it became a club for awhile after it closed. Im not sure whats there now. Funny thing is I dont know why I liked it....the milkshakes probably.

bluedogok....thanks I couldnt think of that to save my life even though my dad loved the place. My brother and I always thought he had a crush on one of the waitresses. And speaking of places I miss Sound Warehouse would be one of them. Did the SW at Grand and May use to be a theatre before it was a music store?

warreng88
10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I also recommend Crest. I lived in Tulsa for a few years, and Reasor's prices aren't nearly as competitive as Crest.

I guess I am a little biased because I know the whole Reasor family. I have been to the Crest on (I think) 15th and Santa Fe and it seemed a little dark and dingy when I was there. I don't know. Reasors gave me a better feel. I talked to Josh Reasor (Nephew of the owner and Marketing Director) a couple of days ago and I asked him when they were going to open up one in OKC and he said "Need to soon. You guys have a great need for one of our stores or several."

ddavidson8
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, the Sound Warehouse on May was a theater at one time. It has the same bones as the Will Rogers Theater on Western.

bluedogok
10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
It was at 31st and May...I think it became a club for awhile after it closed. Im not sure whats there now. Funny thing is I dont know why I liked it....the milkshakes probably.

bluedogok....thanks I couldnt think of that to save my life even though my dad loved the place. My brother and I always thought he had a crush on one of the waitresses. And speaking of places I miss Sound Warehouse would be one of them. Did the SW at Grand and May use to be a theatre before it was a music store?
It was the Lakeside Theater (http://cinematreasures.org/theater/16847/), the screen and speakers were still up above the ceiling over the old Classical department when it was at the south end of the building. It was just cut at a point above the ceiling. You would occasionally find old posters or stubs in the nooks and crannies around there.

oneforone
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Call me a fast food junkie if you want..... I miss the original Hardee's. I loved their mushroom & swiss, hot ham & cheese, fried chicken, salads and they had some pretty good breakfast stuff as well.

gmwise
10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
I missed Steak and Ale.
Dear Lord, I missed the lobster bisque, then a nice prime rib steak.
We normally went to the southside one.
Not many comparables.
If you have a suggestion please pass it to me.

warreng88
10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Call me a fast food junkie if you want..... I miss the original Hardee's. I loved their mushroom & swiss, hot ham & cheese, fried chicken, salads and they had some pretty good breakfast stuff as well.

Yeah, that reminds me of Sunday morning getting all you can eat biscuits and gravy and potato rounds... for $1.99.

jbrown84
10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
I know they rebuilt the ones in Edmond (Second Street just east of UCO) and Midwest City (by the Albertsons near Reno & Midwest Blvd. maybe) in the mid-90's, are they still open?

The Edmond one didn't last long. It's McAlister's Deli now.

Nabber, there is still a "Nothing But Noodles" at Quail Springs on Memorial (the original one) across from the mall. I believe it's just called "Noodles" now but it is still the exact same concept and same owners.

It's actually "Lotsa Noodles", they're just too cheap to change out the sign at the top of the building, so they just took off the "Nothing But".

Do you know which building? I live right by there.

Chicken In The Rough
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Lynn Hickey Dodge... Anyone?

CCOKC
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I used to live a few blocks from Lynn Hickey Dodge. Every now and again if I was outside I would hear We Sooold Another One on the loud speaker. When I drove by there yesterday and noticed it was plowed into the ground I was kind of happy that nobody else would have to hear that if they were outside planting pansies.

Tom-S
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Fotomat kiosks
Cornucopia restaurant- NW63rd between Portland and NWHwy
Neptune's sandwiches

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Lynn Hickey Dodge... Anyone?

Why would you miss that place?

The sales tactics there were abhorrent.

Besides...Who misses a car dealer anyway? I always feel like I need a shower after I leave one.

ddavidson8
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
:demonslay
It was the Lakeside Theater (http://cinematreasures.org/theater/16847/), the screen and speakers were still up above the ceiling over the old Classical department when it was at the south end of the building. It was just cut at a point above the ceiling. You would occasionally find old posters or stubs in the nooks and crannies around there.

The Sound Warehouse I was thinking of was at N. May and Grand. It was a blockbuster music before whatever it finally became. It was the theater that was in the same model as the Will Rogers.

bluedogok
10-31-2008, 07:38 PM
That was it, I thought the Will Rogers went front to back whereas the Lakeside went left to right.

Sound Warehouse went through a couple of ownerships after Dan died, Kay (his widow) ran the company for awhile before merging with the guy who owned the Dallas franchises. They then sold out to a Disney affiliated company which sold out to Blockbuster who had previously purchased the Warehouse Records chain.

Easy180
11-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Why would you miss that place?

The sales tactics there were abhorrent.

Besides...Who misses a car dealer anyway? I always feel like I need a shower after I leave one.

I did enjoy the can't leave tire shredder they had in place to force one last lame sales pitch....I'm sure they had a high rate of success with folks who had already walked around and are now in their car to leave

Chicken In The Rough
11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
It was a joke.

I found the whole concept of having tire shredders to prevent people from leaving rather amusing.

jbrown84
11-01-2008, 09:54 AM
What's this about tire shredders?

Generals64
11-01-2008, 12:29 PM
What about the following?
1. Mr. Buck's
2. The old AMC Shopping Center
3. Emmer Brother's
4. Napoleon Nash
5. Snyder's Food Mart
6. Humpty Dumpty Stores
7. Bob's Coney Island
8. Sussy's...........mmmmm...Real Pizza
9. Karp's Drive-in
10. TG&Y:.......Variety Store's..not the Family Centers.

Easy180
11-01-2008, 02:17 PM
What's this about tire shredders?

Lynn Hickey put up tire shredders (spikes) at the only exit and didn't put them down until yet another salesman bothered you

Great for business as I would think that little gimmick right there guaranteed that many folks would never come back

jbrown84
11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
That's CRAZY.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-11-2008, 07:21 AM
That's CRAZY.

And that's why it's now a vacant lot...They even razed the building.

redcup
11-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Sandman's Coffee House on NW 23rd
"The Hot Shop" in Penn Square mall
"Nothing but Noodles" in Bricktown

My daughter used to hang at Sandman's when she was 15 or so. Lots of weird stuff there. But, she survived and so did I!

Jesseda
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
yes hardees, i miss hardees, sunday morning family outing was at hardees for the buscuits and gravy, and also about 2 times a month, we had there fried chicken for dinner, it was really really good, better than the kfc thing. Also i miss there sourdough sandwhiches.. Why are we stuck with a burger join that mainly makes bacon, hame on hamburger, hamburger on hamburger, friend onions on hamburger, (15 different versions of a hamburger even if) one ingredient is changed its likea whole new burger) we need hardees back... i might drive to joplin,mo they have a hardees there jk, but next time i am in that area, ohhh yaaaaa..

Jesseda
11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
does anybody remember these pizza places that was kinda likea chuck-e-cheese, but had now characters or show, it had the games though, i believe they had one off 89th and peen? and one in norman. I remember playing in the ball pin aas akid and playing skiball and collecting tickets. I thought they where fun, nota big place but fun. It wasnt a krystals, which i want back as well.

LM401
11-11-2008, 12:33 PM
does anybody remember these pizza places that was kinda likea chuck-e-cheese, but had now characters or show, it had the games though, i believe they had one off 89th and peen? and one in norman. I remember playing in the ball pin aas akid and playing skiball and collecting tickets. I thought they where fun, nota big place but fun. It wasnt a krystals, which i want back as well.

Maybe Showbiz Pizza?

Jesseda
11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I dont think it was showbiz, it was a chain, they where in shopping centers, smaller thana cicis pizza place, but had a game center and a play place in it.

Martin
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
hmmm... 89th & penn... 74th & penn would've been crystal's... but you've ruled that out. i can't think of anything like that at or around 89th & penn.

smaller. no characters. in shopping centers. any more clues?

-M

proud2Bsooner
11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Southside Harrigan's was great. Always great. Anyone remember the waiter, tall guy with a mustache that worked there for pretty much the entire time the place existed? He was great.

warreng88
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Again, being from tulsa, I seriously miss Crystal's Pizza. Going there as a kid, always used to sit in the little theatre and watch old cartoons.

Chicken In The Rough
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
New Orleans Coffee House (a way back flashback). Ultra cool, myterious, full of people of dubious character.

and

Yipee-Yi-Yo Cafe (before it was sold and relocated). Quite the opposite of New Orleans Coffee house. YYY was positive, upbeat, fun, and friendly. And, the owner was a pioneer in the OKC coffee scene.

grantgeneral78
11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Crystals pizza parlor
Fox and Horn
soundtrack
Save Auto
tastee freeze on s.w. 59th
Across the Street restaurant on S.W. 59th
TG&Y
Otasco

Jim`s Superthrift on S.W. 74th
Godfathers pizza
nicolosis spaghetti
Peter Piper Pizza
Crocketts bbq
Spartan Atlantic
Dairy Queens footlong hotdogs
The "ORIGINAL" Los Tacos

Generals64
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------
There was a KIp's Big boy downtown on Main st until Urban Renewal but, the first one (in this area) was at 59th and S. Western. The Kip's Special Sandwich was a predecessor of McDonald's Big Mac....think about it.....2 patties, Special Sauce, Cheese, Lettuce? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Don't forget Mr. Buck's specialty shop and Katz Drug or even Sheen drug...then there was Emmer Brothers. C.R. Anthony the right stuff at the right price.

Generals64
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I dont think it was showbiz, it was a chain, they where in shopping centers, smaller thana cicis pizza place, but had a game center and a play place in it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
PETER PIPER PIZZA PARLOR.........59TH & S. May Southwest corner....