View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

papaOU
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Whenever I hear class and music I think of Frank Sinatra.

Class and shirts equals Munsingwear. I think that is because of the association of age and price. Did a pro golfer not wear them at one time?

ljbab728
05-19-2010, 11:08 PM
================================================== =========
That was munsingwear shirts.....Anthony's would sometimes carry over runs and or seconds....The one at Airline Shopping Center seemed to be an exceptional store. I bought some of them (Izods) and didn't realize I had spent my whole paycheck for the week and had no money for a date....Looked good though...

Two of my aunts worked at the Airline Shopping Center store. One was in sales and the other worked in the office. The pneumatic tubes were used in all of the stores then to send payments to the central office area instead of using check out areas in the stores.

CarltonsKeeper
05-20-2010, 06:17 AM
The pneumatic systems are going stronger than ever at almost all the drive in banks! As a kid they always facinated me when I would check out at Anthony's........

skyrick
05-20-2010, 07:29 AM
The pneumatic systems are going stronger than ever at almost all the drive in banks! As a kid they always facinated me when I would check out at Anthony's........

Hospitals use them too, to deliver scrips and meds.

Generals64
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Loved Anthony's. Ray Justice managed the old one in Edmond in downtown for many years. He ran a great store and always had what I needed in stock. That was the last store I ever saw with the pneumatic system for paying and getting change.
In 1965 (summer) I got mad at a TG&Y manager and Quit. I went to work for Anthony's for the summer (then back to TG&Y) but, Ray Justice was the asst. manager at Casady Square where I worked....Good guy...learned a lot from him....

RealJimbo
05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
In 1965 (summer) I got mad at a TG&Y manager and Quit. I went to work for Anthony's for the summer (then back to TG&Y) but, Ray Justice was the asst. manager at Casady Square where I worked....Good guy...learned a lot from him....

I bought a suit with two pairs of pants and a reversible vest at that store for $29.95 in about 1974. Ha!

papaOU
05-31-2010, 12:47 AM
doe anyone know where to get El Charrito (spelling ?). Ones i have tried from other places are soft and chewy. Nasty

Prunepicker
05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
doe anyone know where to get El Charrito (spelling ?). Ones i have tried from
other places are soft and chewy. Nasty
What are you talking about?

skyrick
05-31-2010, 01:34 PM
doe anyone know where to get El Charrito (spelling ?). Ones i have tried from other places are soft and chewy. Nasty

I've seen El Charrito brand frozen dinners, but they have nothing to do with the restaurants owned by the Alvarado family.

papaOU
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM

I omitted pralines as the subject. Sorry.

gen70
05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I omitted pralines as the subject. Sorry. I can't find pralines in my neck of the woods here in N.C. so I make my own.

Generals64
05-31-2010, 07:11 PM
I omitted pralines as the subject. Sorry.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++Go to Sterling's in the farmers market....

Generals64
08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
O.K., everyone get your guard up.....I would Love to have an ORIGINAL Del Rancho Steak Sandwich....not one with all the flour fried on it but one with the meat all the way to the edge. Even Chuck House has started frying more flour than meat......Next?....how about their old (Del Rancho) tater tots? Or, how about an original Corn Dog....Not Frozen....so it takes three minutes more.....that was a complete song on the juke box....

Prunepicker
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
The Del Rancho on S.W. 59th still makes a good steak sandwich.
It's where Don's used to be. Where are the other locations still
open?

Generals64
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
there's one opened in Moore on Main and I-35....and there is one on 59th and S. Santa Fe....I think that's about it though..

CarltonsKeeper
08-12-2010, 05:10 PM
there's one opened in Moore on Main and I-35....and there is one on 59th and S. Santa Fe....I think that's about it though..

One still on Norman on Lindsay about 24th st........

papaOU
08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
One block west of Penn. on SW29th

papaOU
08-12-2010, 06:15 PM
the good thing about his one is it has had the same people working there since Jesus was a alter-boy.

Prunepicker
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
there's one opened in Moore on Main and I-35... and there is one
on 59th and S. Santa Fe... I think that's about it though.
The one on S.W. 59th & Agnew is closed?

Generals64
08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
No, it's still opened but the smoke from all the smokers that used to eat there keeps me away.....

skyrick
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
No, it's still opened but the smoke from all the smokers that used to eat there keeps me away.....

Order from your car!

Prunepicker
08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Order from your car!
The smoke from all the smoking cars keeps me away.
It's the southside, you know.

papaOU
08-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Listen to the master, prune. It's closed!! went by there Monday.:kicking:

Prunepicker
08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Sad.

skyrick
08-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Listen to the master, prune. It's closed!! went by there Monday.:kicking:

NOOOOOOOO!!!! That was my first Del Rancho! Our last trip to OKC, in May, we stopped at the Moore location and were very pleased and satisfied.

Prunepicker
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!! That was my first Del Rancho! Our last trip to
OKC, in May, we stopped at the Moore location and were very
pleased and satisfied.
The next time you're up let us know. Gen64 will buy everyone
breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cattleman's.

Let us know!

skyrick
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
The next time you're up let us know. Gen64 will buy everyone
breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cattleman's.

Let us know!

Woo-Hoo! Free food! I always knew Gen64 was a gentleman and a scholar!

ck76
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Gary Dales BBQ....

papaOU
08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Gary Dales BBQ....

Nothing comes close

Bigrayok
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Gary Dale's was my favorite BBQ. I used to meet friends of mine that had booths at Old Paris Flea Market there on Saturday night after they got off work when it was just a gas station that sold BBQ. Their sauce was really good. It seemed to close not too long after they remodled and made the place half-way nice.

Bigray in Ok

Generals64
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I know there is still is a business there on S. Robinson. But, the old Massey's Auto parts and Accessories was quite a place for young teenage boys to go through and dream. Now, Carltonskeeper used to frequent the area but he was looking for Jesse's....I think....

bluedogok
08-23-2010, 02:30 PM
On my side of town those shops were Parr Automotive at NW 10th & Ann Arbor and the Save-Auto Superstore at NW 10th & MacArthur.

Prunepicker
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
I know there is still is a business there on S. Robinson. But, the
old Massey's Auto parts and Accessories was quite a place for
young teenage boys to go through and dream.
I got an imitation Ahooga horn at Massey's. Can't afford a real
one, yet.

skyrick
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
On my side of town those shops were Parr Automotive at NW 10th & Ann Arbor and the Save-Auto Superstore at NW 10th & MacArthur.

BAP - British Auto Parts on S Robinson or S Broadway. My BF had a 1967 Triumph Spitfire, I had a 1958 Mk I Jaguar.

papaOU
08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
BAP - British Auto Parts on S Robinson or S Broadway. My BF had a 1967 Triumph Spitfire, I had a 1958 Mk I Jaguar.

BOSCH Auto parts. It was like 8th or 9th east of N. Broadway. Had a '67 V.W. that was hot. Loved my Zoom Tube.

colleydog
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Was Rahill's on the N.E. corner of S.W. 29th street and S. May Avenue? Was
it before Atlantic Mills?

I do remember the Rahill's on the corner of S.W.29th and May but I remember it being on the S.W. corner. It was South of Atlantic Mills. Atlantic Mills was almost directly across the street from the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds to the East and maybe a little bit South.

Do you remember a 2nd Rahill's on S.W. 44th Street just East of May Avenue on the North side of the street? I was very young but I remember going there with my parents and there was a huge chug hole in the parking lot there. I cannot find anyone else that remembers that location.

colleydog
09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I dont think it was showbiz, it was a chain, they where in shopping centers, smaller thana cicis pizza place, but had a game center and a play place in it.

Billy Bobs

Prunepicker
09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I do remember the Rahill's on the corner of S.W.29th and May but
I remember it being on the S.W. corner. It was South of Atlantic
Mills. Atlantic Mills was almost directly across the street from
the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds to the East and maybe a
little bit South
That was Spartan's and then Spartan-Atlantic? Forrest
Lumber is there now.

Tritone
09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I recall Spartan's across from the fairgrounds (current Forrest Lumber, right next to the Rock Island overpass) and Atlantic Mills in the Economy Square shopping ceter, northeast corner of S.W. 29th and May. They were in the same shopping center as Grider's. That was before Grider's got huge and moved on east a bit. Grider's had the grey fiberglass elephant ride for a penny outside. Right?

Prunepicker
09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I recall Spartan's across from the fairgrounds (current Forrest
Lumber, right next to the Rock Island overpass) and Atlantic
Mills in the Economy Square shopping ceter, northeast corner
of S.W. 29th and May. They were in the same shopping center
as Grider's. That was before Grider's got huge and moved on east
a bit. Grider's had the grey fiberglass elephant ride for a penny
outside. Right?
That's correct A-Eb. Later Atlantic Mills and Spartan merged.
I don't think it was for very long.

papaOU
09-28-2010, 12:35 AM
GEX is now Olde Paris?

North of there were some big hills for motorcycle riders. They'd climb, or attempt to climb the steep ones. Being too young for cycles we went down these steep suckers on our bicycles. Lots of fun. They were called the GEX Hills.

Ezrablum
09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Sonic seems to be picking up where Dairy Queen is dying off. Back in the 1980s, Dairy Queen was the definition of small town Texas (I have to use Texas because that's what I know). If you had a Dairy Queen, you were a real town. If not, well...

Now, the Dairy Queens are all going out of business (even where no one ever heard of Braums). Sonic is moving in to fill the void. All the small towns have Sonic now. Good job, Sonic (local company).

Except Sonic tastes pathetically cheap. They started moving to cheaper cheese (in their once delicious ched R bites) and other ingredients. Their soda tastes funny to me as well. And it's so expensive! How do you raise prices and lower food quality? It's baffling. I like going to the gas station now like Circle K for a really good fountain drink and it's only 79 cents, 24 hours a day.

Said all that to say that I do really love DQ. Their ingredients aren't the highest quality (like say a frozen custard shop like maybe Sooner Rocks or ice cream made at a Marble Slab) but they taste better than Sonic to me. Whenever I go back to Missouri to visit my family I have to go get a Blizzard, yum!

Also, I miss the Crimson Creamery. They weren't there very long, but I would have much rather have had a nice little ice cream shop to check out than an expansion of Louies. Maybe that's just me.

RealJimbo
09-29-2010, 07:07 AM
GEX is now Olde Paris?

North of there were some big hills for motorcycle riders. They'd climb, or attempt to climb the steep ones. Being too young for cycles we went down these steep suckers on our bicycles. Lots of fun. They were called the GEX Hills.

Late one night I drove my '65 Malibu SS up the steepest of the hills there. The scariest part was when I crested the top I couldn't see anything, my headlights shining up into the empty blackness.

Generals64
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
GEX is the Olde Paris Flea Market now....Atlantic Mills was on the East end of Economy Square Shopping Center and Spartan was across the street from the Fairgrounds....They merged and became Spartan/Atlantic. One of my jobs with TG&Y was to keep up with their pricing. They really had some "Junk" in those stores though. There was a store just east of 44th and May on the North Side of the street. It was Bob Poole's for a while and was Rhodes IIGA (Kay Rhodes married to Bobby Murcer) and could have been a Rahill's. It's now a Laundromat....

skyrick
10-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Rothschilds downtown and their $5.95 Levis and navy blue H.I.S. jackets.

C. R. Anthony's.

Prunepicker
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Rothschilds downtown and their $5.95 Levis and navy blue
H.I.S. jackets.

C. R. Anthony's.
I always wanted to wear Levi's and a navy blue H.I.S. jacket.
Instead it was Wranglers and another jacket that looked like an
H.I.S.

jmarkross
10-26-2010, 12:26 AM
GEX is the Olde Paris Flea Market now....Atlantic Mills was on the East end of Economy Square Shopping Center and Spartan was across the street from the Fairgrounds....They merged and became Spartan/Atlantic. One of my jobs with TG&Y was to keep up with their pricing. They really had some "Junk" in those stores though. There was a store just east of 44th and May on the North Side of the street. It was Bob Poole's for a while and was Rhodes IIGA (Kay Rhodes married to Bobby Murcer) and could have been a Rahill's. It's now a Laundromat....

I remember Atlantic Mills...in suburban Norman--every child feared your parents taking you to Wacker's for anything...in OKC, Atlantic-Mills was the feared dump to be dragged into...and, of course, Robert Hall...

Generals64
10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
I always wanted to wear Levi's and a navy blue H.I.S. jacket.
Instead it was Wranglers and another jacket that looked like an
H.I.S.

Here's one for you....do you remember Tuf-Nut jeans?....or Buckhide jeans.....I have always worn Levis ($2.99 at C.R. Anthony's)but, my mother decide to buy some of the Tuf-Nut jeans (2 for 1 stuff) so I would have MORE assortment.....None of them even came close to fitting....My mother finally gave in and got me a couple pair of 501's.....hoo-ray....

gen70
10-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I remember when you bought a pair of Tuf-Nut jeans you got a cheap pocket knife with the purchase.

Generals64
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I remember when you bought a pair of Tuf-Nut jeans you got a cheap pocket knife with the purchase.

I've still got one of those knives.....somewhere around here...I'll bet Frisky knows right where his is today.....man those jeans would not fit anything....

jmarkross
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
A pocket knife nowadays would get a little tyke some hard time...

FRISKY
10-27-2010, 08:16 AM
A pocket knife nowadays would get a little tyke some hard time...I don't think I ever went to school for even one day without my pocket knife. But times were different then. I never even once thought of using it as a weapon...I had a switchblade for that...but I never needed to take it to school...probably because of the old saying "Never take a knife to a gun fight."

Prunepicker
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
We'd play knife games like mumbly peg. Lot's of fun. Most of the
other games were made up on the spot.

I had a math book with a hole cut in the middle so I could listen
to my transistor radio while I slept in class. That was the only
book I always remembered to take to school.

jmarkross
10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I glued a "Tale of Two Cities" Paperback over my copy of "Candy" to facilitate reading it in class--worked beautifully...

gen70
10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
What was the name of the actress who played "Candy" in the movie?

Generals64
10-27-2010, 03:50 PM
what was the name of the actress who played "candy" in the movie?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

john??????

jmarkross
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062776/

Remember the book..."The One-Hundred Dollar Misunderstanding" and it's sequel?

skyrick
10-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Ewa Aulin (pant, pant, pant)

gen70
10-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Ewa Aulin was responsible for my choice of girlfriends and wives. (all blondes)

capt_john_97
06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute!!