View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Generals64
02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
It's a Saturday morning in middle of June....for some reason I had the day off from TG&Y.....I picked up my date at 8:30 a.m. (had to take her little sister this time) and we went to Kips' Big Boy on the southside for Breakfast. Had the usual, two eggs over easy Sausage and Biscuits and gravy.....She not being bigger than a minute order toast and orange juice......Little sister ordered the menu.....
After we ate we fired up the '63 Impala and began the arduous trip to Springlake. What a fun day this was going to be and then uh-oh low on gas....Stopped by the Champlin station and bought $2.00 worth of 23.9 cents a gallon Regular this time.....Almost filled the tank up....Now, back to the Springlake trip. By now we had spent almost $9.00 I only had $20.00 (dang little sister).....We finally get to the park and you know it would cost us almost $2.00 each and get in and ride the rides.....but, that's O.K.
Continued later on.....remember the Dark rides and the fun house where the air would blow up the girl's dresses?????Our ultimate goal was to go swimming.......Something new on the horizon......the Bikini.....Yee-haw...

gen70
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I miss Kip's Big Boy at Southwestern Plaza because, it was one of the first places that I went in by myself (about age 10) and ordered a meal. It was the usual fare (for me) hamburger, fries, coke and for dessert a banana split. I felt pretty grown up.

Generals64
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I really miss the IGA stores, TG&Y, C.R. Anthony's...Levines in capitol hill. I remember Mr. Buck clothing was such high quality clothing and they didn't cater to the kids who wanted the junk and crappy looking stuff. Not being an critic of men's clothing I just remember going to Mr.
Buck and gettign the cool stuff....Always go to Levine's for Levi's....and Wedges.....Now, they catered to the kid who had very limited funds....but boy did they sell some Levis'''Isn't it a shame we couldn't come up with the financing to re-open Capitol Hill shopping area.....Even if Walgreen's were to replace Katz drug, Hibdon's Plus for Otasco. Dollar General for TG&Y. Get a good Jewelry store. A shoe repair and boot shop....something like Emmer Brothers....J.C. Penny small venue and have Macy's open where John A. Brown was.....Even re-open the bank.....Why not?????

papaOU
03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I really miss the IGA stores, TG&Y, C.R. Anthony's...Levines in capitol hill. I remember Mr. Buck clothing was such high quality clothing and they didn't cater to the kids who wanted the junk and crappy looking stuff. Not being an critic of men's clothing I just remember going to Mr.
Buck and gettign the cool stuff....Always go to Levine's for Levi's....and Wedges.....Now, they catered to the kid who had very limited funds....but boy did they sell some Levis'''Isn't it a shame we couldn't come up with the financing to re-open Capitol Hill shopping area.....Even if Walgreen's were to replace Katz drug, Hibdon's Plus for Otasco. Dollar General for TG&Y. Get a good Jewelry store. A shoe repair and boot shop....something like Emmer Brothers....J.C. Penny small venue and have Macy's open where John A. Brown was.....Even re-open the bank.....Why not?????

What Capitol Hill, or better the entire south side needs is more western wear stores. That speak English:ou.....

Generals64
03-09-2010, 06:57 AM
What Capitol Hill, or better the entire south side needs is more western wear stores. That speak English:ou.....
================================================== ============
Have you been to the western wear/Boot shop off Agnew on 29th st????Plastic Alligator boots with the sharp curled up toes....???? Shoulda been a cowboy...

JMGrad68
04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
All the places above, and ValGene's in Penn Sq, when it was still open air. They served unlimited peel & eat shrimp on ice, no extra charge, with your meal.

JMGrad68
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh and by the way the REALJIMBO,

Are you psychic or something. In your post above when you mentiioned that I was probably thinking about Classic 50's. Are you kidding me. I visit that place the most when I come back, I was visiting that place sometimes two times a day. Those neon lights, the food is really good, those HAPPY HOUR drinks. Heck in my high school days in Norman that was the place to cruise in your sports car. I know I did, every night. I feel sorry for any of those other people that go next door to Sonic, what the hell, do they have the IQ of a turnip or what?

FYI Normanite, it's not a Sonic anymore because, as I understand it, the owner had some issues with Sonic on royalties and had his sign pulled. They used to have a little star on the Sonic burger bags to indicate they paid bag royalties. Franchisees had to pay a penny extra per bag, that was the only royalty Sonic got back then, and the Norman guy would buy plain bags to avoid paying the extra penny and got caught. It WAS a fun Sonic back when it had a miniature golf course in the 60's, but I know former Sonic employees who inspected it when it was still a Sonic and, to put it politely, I was told he did not meet their QSC standards. So Mr Sweatte had his Sonic franchise revoked. Sonic didn't make a big deal out of it to avoid looking like they were picking on a little guy. I will agree that the Classic 50's is a more fun place to eat and the family still runs it and gives back to Norman, but as I understand it Sonic was not the cause of the separation, and I would eat at the Sonic myself.

papaOU
04-17-2010, 10:04 PM
You are correct JMGrad68! Classic 50's is a former Sonic. I do know there was a problem between owner and Sonic, but I am not sure what it concerned.

Jettmiester
04-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Venture
Harolds
Old School Clothing Co.
Crystals Pizza
TG&Y
Anthonys
Montgomery Ward
Bonanza retaurants
Service Merchandise
Blimpies Subs (but we have Jersey Mikes now!) :woowoo:
Rainbow Records
K-Bee Toys
Shepard Mall (when it was retail)

and most of all...

STARWINDS!!!

RealJimbo
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Of all the businesses that I miss, I think that philosophically I miss the mom and pop busienesses the most. Like Nakvinda's Cafe on N. Western at about 89th, Edna's and Maddox's groceries (NW 63rd and Shartel and NW 68th and Western, respectively), George's Barber Shop (NW 68th and Western), Corson's Grocery (about NW 74th and Western?), Yount's Grocery (Wilshire and Western), Rains's Kerr McGee (NW 63rd and Western), Puddin Lanes Bowling Alley on Britton Rd (Pappy's Pool Hall inside), etc.

Generals64
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Of all the businesses that I miss, I think that philosophically I miss the mom and pop busienesses the most. Like Nakvinda's Cafe on N. Western at about 89th, Edna's and Maddox's groceries (NW 63rd and Shartel and NW 68th and Western, respectively), George's Barber Shop (NW 68th and Western), Corson's Grocery (about NW 74th and Western?), Yount's Grocery (Wilshire and Western), Rains's Kerr McGee (NW 63rd and Western), Puddin Lanes Bowling Alley on Britton Rd (Pappy's Pool Hall inside), etc.

================================================== =========
If you were NEVER there, you wouldn't understand....Pulliam's Bar-B-Q when it was behind the house......The sauce was brewed through an eagle claw Bathtub.....When I way "brewed" I remember my dad taking Elk, Deer...whatever they were processing and Mr. Pulliam would first douse the meat in an old tub to prepare it for cooking.....But his bar-b-que was great...

RealJimbo
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
If you were NEVER there, you wouldn't understand....Pulliam's Bar-B-Q when it was behind the house......The sauce was brewed through an eagle claw Bathtub.....When I way "brewed" I remember my dad taking Elk, Deer...whatever they were processing and Mr. Pulliam would first douse the meat in an old tub to prepare it for cooking.....But his bar-b-que was great...

Oh yeah, I knew Pulliam's well. Before AND after they had dirt floors. Remember that they left the pop machine in the middle of the room and poured the concrete around it? Any weekday you had to fight the health department people for a place in line, but they are the ones who forced him to put in a floor. And the R&B on the juke box...remember that? It was right between the front door and the kitchen door.

There will NEVER be another BBQ as good as Pulliam's. Some relative of his (a son?) opened Barry's on NE 10th south of the hospital complex but it was NOTHING like Pulliam's.

By the way, the proper name was PULLIAM'S BARBECUE KING and it was in an old garage building behind a rooming house on the curve of NE 4th, beyond the Department of Public Safety.

Just talking about Pulliam's, I can smell the smoke, see the dark room with the counter around the walls with a water can sitting on the end of the counter by the kitchen door.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Hammondjam
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
What was the name of the little magic shop in the lobby of the old Black Hotel? There was also a magic shop of the same name in the Southwestern Shopping Center.I used to buy my "trick" perfume there, put it in syringes and spray it in the aisles in front of me at the old Yale theater. It was funny to see them look at each other with a disgusted look on their faces. I was such a brat!

papaOU
04-24-2010, 05:01 PM
What was the name of the little magic shop in the lobby of the old Black Hotel? There was also a magic shop of the same name in the Southwestern Shopping Center.I used to buy my "trick" perfume there, put it in syringes and spray it in the aisles in front of me at the old Yale theater. It was funny to see them look at each other with a disgusted look on their faces. I was such a brat!

Got some rotten-egg perfume there. 6th grade. Got it a bunch of trouble over that stuff but it was worth it.....

Hammondjam
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I DO remember the product name...Morning Breeze. Came in a tiny perfume bottle and also in ampules that would easily break if you stepped on them or threw them down. Didn't like to leave broken glass around so I opted for the perfume bottle.

skyrick
04-24-2010, 06:04 PM

I remember the one in the Hotel Black! Bought a fake deck of cards there. Scantily clad female card on the deck. Inside was a AA battery with a shocker circuit wired to the two metal discs where your fingers grabbed to open the "deck".

Generals64
04-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I remember the one in the Hotel Black! Bought a fake deck of cards there. Scantily clad female card on the deck. Inside was a AA battery with a shocker circuit wired to the two metal discs where your fingers grabbed to open the "deck".

Pronk's Pranks.....Weird old man...

Soonerman
04-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Here is what wikipedia says about Sambos.

A popular U.S. restaurant chain of the 1960s and 1970s, Sambo's, borrowed characters from the book (including Sambo and the tigers) for promotional purposes, although the Sambo name was originally a combination of the founders' nicknames: Sam (Sam Battistone) and Bo (Newell Bohnett). Nonetheless, the controversy about the book led to accusations of racism that contributed to the 1,117-restaurant chain's demise in the early 1980s. Images inspired by the book (now considered by some racially insensitive) were common interior decorations in the restaurants. Though portions of the original chain re-named themselves "No Place Like Sam's" to try to forestall closure, all but the original restaurant in Santa Barbara, California had closed by 1982.

http://www.sambosphotos.com/images/home/homepage_shot.jpg http://www.sambosphotos.com/0201topnav.jpg

That looks like a Denny's.

gen70
04-25-2010, 12:25 AM
That looks like a Denny's. You are a person of interest. Ha..Ha.. Oh.. How was your time out?

Hammondjam
04-25-2010, 05:46 AM
I remember having a conversation with a coworker about the Sambo's at 36th and Western. She also thought it was racially insensitive toward African-Americans. I then asked her to tell me where tigers come from. :beaten_fi

If I remember correctly, Sambo was a certain victim until he used his intelligence to trick the tigers into chasing him around the tree. He then became the hero to his village. How demeaning!!

I thought us CB'ers closed them down because we took up so much room and just ordered coffee. :tiphat:

papaOU
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
That looks like a Denny's.

I have been rejected several times, but I STILL say Denny's was originally Sambo's.

It's like there is no mistaking a Kip's building.

bluedogok
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
We used to go to the Sambo's at NW 23rd & Meridian (in front of Windsor Lanes) quite a bit. I think it is now a Thai restaurant.

skyrick
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I have been rejected several times, but I STILL say Denny's was originally Sambo's.

It's like there is no mistaking a Kip's building.

I always thought Sambo's morphed into Denny's after the whole PC thing.

CarltonsKeeper
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
According to Mr. Google, Dennys started in 1953 and Sambo's started in 1957 named after the founder Sam Battistone!! Whether that's all correct, who knows! Kinda' makes you want to chase PaPaOU around a tree til he turns to butter, huh! Only kidding, but I would like a tall stack of Pancakes about now.. LOL But if we did, would that make you a Tiger-Pa? LMAO

Prunepicker
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I used to buy my "trick" perfume there, put it in syringes and spray it in the
aisles in front of me at the old Yale theater. It was funny to see them look at
each other with a disgusted look on their faces. I was such a brat!
Do you remember almost getting beat to death by a kid with a home made
night stick?

Prunepicker
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Was "The Vic" Theater also the Victorian?

USG '60
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
The VICTORIA Theater was based on London's Old Vic. Or so I was told many decades ago.

papaOU
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Was "The Vic" Theater also the Victorian?

Yes. Was often referred to as "The Vic."

Generals64
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes. Was often referred to as "The Vic."

The Lawyer/real Estate mogul that owns the Vic now has his Office where the Stage used to sit.....Went there once when it was his office....He was REALLY Proud of the place....

RealJimbo
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I remember having a conversation with a coworker about the Sambo's at 36th and Western. She also thought it was racially insensitive toward African-Americans. I then asked her to tell me where tigers come from. :beaten_fi

If I remember correctly, Sambo was a certain victim until he used his intelligence to trick the tigers into chasing him around the tree. He then became the hero to his village. How demeaning!!

I thought us CB'ers closed them down because we took up so much room and just ordered coffee. :tiphat:

Drove past the old Sambo's today and it was on Classen, not Western. LOL I really loved that place. That is until I went in one morning with a friend, both of us wearing bell bottom blue jeans and tank tops. They refused us service, saying "no shirt, no shoes, no service". I left and never went back. Of course that was my stupid '20s attitude.

Today it is Jeff's Country Cafe.

CarltonsKeeper
04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Drove past the old Sambo's today and it was on Classen, not Western. LOL I really loved that place. That is until I went in one morning with a friend, both of us wearing bell bottom blue jeans and tank tops. They refused us service, saying "no shirt, no shoes, no service". I left and never went back. Of course that was my stupid '20s attitude.

Today it is Jeff's Country Cafe.
There was a Sambo's at S.W. 36th and Western, that's probably where he was referring!!

Generals64
04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I miss Doncene's Hobby shop and all the things they did with and for the kids. Could you imagine what you would get if there was a model Car Contest today????

gen70
04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I miss Doncene's Hobby shop and all the things they did with and for the kids. Could you imagine what you would get if there was a model Car Contest today???? Probably just some old guys like us.

papaOU
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I miss Doncene's Hobby shop and all the things they did with and for the kids. Could you imagine what you would get if there was a model Car Contest today????

Is that where you got the model glue for huffing?

RealJimbo
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM

The only time I ever took anything from a TG&Y store was when I raided a box for some wheels. The manager's son caught me and made me put them back. He threatened to tell his dad. That was Lloyd Lovely (the son) who I worked with years later at the TG&Y HQ office. His dad managed several stores, but he was managing the 36th and Western store at the time (#37?).

CarltonsKeeper
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Is that where you got the model glue for huffing?
Gen/64 Sniffed glue and huffed gasoline, paint thinner & Paint! He was very picky back then!!

sam greenroyd
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Gen/64 Sniffed glue and huffed gasoline, paint thinner & Paint! He was very picky back then!!

I still huff paint every day i just don't notice it anymore.

RealJimbo
04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Roy Williams, a professional painter extraordinaire, was sealing a floor at TG&Y HQ back in about 1979 and came out of the room with a glazed look on his face. The sealer had a high acetone content and almost got him. He went back in after a 10 minute break with me warning him not to stay in so long this time. He said "how else can I stay high and get paid for it?"

sam greenroyd
04-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Roy Williams, a professional painter extraordinaire, was sealing a floor at TG&Y HQ back in about 1979 and came out of the room with a glazed look on his face. The sealer had a high acetone content and almost got him. He went back in after a 10 minute break with me warning him not to stay in so long this time. He said "how else can I stay high and get paid for it?"
You can lose some brain cells that way

CarltonsKeeper
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I've reached the point to where I can't spare any!!! LOL

papaOU
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM

What's wrong with that? You lose brain cells by drinking alcohol!

lt14life
05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Tony's Italian Specialties at 28th and N. Penn. Nice people and wonderful food.

OH WOW !! I have alot of great memories from this place and I knew Tony . Really nice guy.

skyrick
05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
OH WOW !! I have alot of great memories from this place and I knew Tony . Really nice guy.

The place that introduced me to meatball subs and canneloni.

papaOU
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
The place that introduced me to meatball subs and canneloni.

The best linguine and white clam sauce!!!

SoonerQueen
05-06-2010, 11:34 PM
1. Sheen Drug Co.

papaOU
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Del Rancho on S. Western soon to reopen as "Tony's Tacos."

Double Edge
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Magic shop in the lobby of the Black Hotel. It meant more when I was 10 than it would now.

I also miss the crispy toppings on Shotgun Sams pizzas.

gen70
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Magic shop in the lobby of the Black Hotel. It meant more when I was 10 than it would now.

I also miss the crispy toppings on Shotgun Sams pizzas.

I miss Shotguns and Pizza Planet.

mugofbeer
05-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Ohhh, Shotgun Sams used cornmeal on the bottom of the crust next to the aluminum pan which toasted the cornmeal. That gave it a great flavor - they also figured out how to crisp up and sort of char the edges of the pepperoni. It was also great pizza.

RealJimbo
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw it before, but Shakey's was awesome. I especially loved their "bunch of lunch" with all the fried chicken and mojo potatoes you could eat, plus pizza too.

sam greenroyd
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw it before, but Shakey's was awesome. I especially loved their "bunch of lunch" with all the fried chicken and mojo potatoes you could eat, plus pizza too.

The Round Up in del city still has that menu and it used to be shakeys

Generals64
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
One of the business establishments that hasn't been mentioned much was C.R. Anthony. They always had what you needed in clothing or whatever. You could get a good suit at a good price or a pair of Levi's/Wranglers before Wal-Mart or TG&Y could even think of selling them.....They sold IZOD shirts for a while....$3.99 each......does anyone else have memories of Anthony's?????

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-19-2010, 10:14 AM
The one in Reding Shopping Center had something like a tube that sent your money to the office if I remember. Also, the Streets store in Reding was also a great place to shop for women's clothes.

papaOU
05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I remember shopping at the Reding location rather than the Capitol Hill store. Not sure the brand but they had the polo shirts with the penguin on the left chest area. First shirt of "class" that I can remember.

Generals64
05-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I remember shopping at the Reding location rather than the Capitol Hill store. Not sure the brand but they had the polo shirts with the penguin on the left chest area. First shirt of "class" that I can remember.

That was munsingwear shirts.....Anthony's would sometimes carry over runs and or seconds....The one at Airline Shopping Center seemed to be an exceptional store. I bought some of them (Izods) and didn't realize I had spent my whole paycheck for the week and had no money for a date....Looked good though...

osu cowboy
05-19-2010, 02:01 PM
One of the business establishments that hasn't been mentioned much was C.R. Anthony. They always had what you needed in clothing or whatever. You could get a good suit at a good price or a pair of Levi's/Wranglers before Wal-Mart or TG&Y could even think of selling them.....They sold IZOD shirts for a while....$3.99 each......does anyone else have memories of Anthony's?????

Bought a suit at 74th st store just before they went out of business. Retired police officer was salesman, some of you probably knew him. Bought lots of clothes from them thru the years.

RealJimbo
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Bought a suit at 74th st store just before they went out of business. Retired police officer was salesman, some of you probably knew him. Bought lots of clothes from them thru the years.

Loved Anthony's. Ray Justice managed the old one in Edmond in downtown for many years. He ran a great store and always had what I needed in stock. That was the last store I ever saw with the pneumatic system for paying and getting change.

skyrick
05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Loved Anthony's. Ray Justice managed the old one in Edmond in downtown for many years. He ran a great store and always had what I needed in stock. That was the last store I ever saw with the pneumatic system for paying and getting change.

I found OKCC-TALK while Googling for info on C.R. Anthony; along with Rothschild's downtown, my two favorite men's clothing stores.

skyrick
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Rothschild's downtown. How long has there been no Rothschild's in OKC?

bluedogok
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Guy Anthony was one of the nicest people that I have met, I used to deliver to his house in Nichols Hills and he always came out and greeted me and remembered my name after the first delivery to his home. Just seemed like a very genuine person.

That was munsingwear shirts.....Anthony's would sometimes carry over runs and or seconds....The one at Airline Shopping Center seemed to be an exceptional store. I bought some of them (Izods) and didn't realize I had spent my whole paycheck for the week and had no money for a date....Looked good though...
Munsingwear, I guess they are making a comeback as a "high line" under Original Penguin Clothing (http://www.originalpenguin.com/). I saw some of them at the Nordstrom store here last week.