View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

RealJimbo
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I've read through these threads right along with everyone on this forum and have found it humbling to realize that this thread is about what Businesses? But, how many of us still remember the guy at the Service Station that pumped your gas....Cleaned your windshield...checked under the hood and many times topped off the radiator or brake fluid and said Thanks....Ya'll come back! ??? how many businesses can you still remember that did those kinds of things because they WANTED your business?....Today's grocery store doesn't carry your groceries out unless you ask very sternly....You have to wait on yourself and still pay silly prices......Not complaining just wondering if any of you guys or gals have any stories like this????

Gene Scott had a Phillips 66 station on NW 23rd St. around Hudson or so. His was one of those stations. Pull in and three guys would come on in uniform to pump your gas, check under the hood, clean the windshield and sweep out the car with a little whisk broom. (When was the last time you used the term "whisk broom"?) My first car was a 1961 Dynamic 88 and I loved that service when I went in to fill the tank with 50 cent gas.

Generals64
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Gene Scott had a Phillips 66 station on NW 23rd St. around Hudson or so. His was one of those stations. Pull in and three guys would come on in uniform to pump your gas, check under the hood, clean the windshield and sweep out the car with a little whisk broom. (When was the last time you used the term "whisk broom"?) My first car was a 1961 Dynamic 88 and I loved that service when I went in to fill the tank with 50 cent gas.

================================================== ===========
I remember a Texaco in Ardmore with .29 cent gasoline....Inevidibly (sp) an adult would probably buy something else...But, even a 17 year old kid got the same treatment. Most of those stations had crisp uniforms on and they all wore a hat....with the bill in the front.....Funny though, most of them didn't have a Vacuum but they could get your old car clean as new with that little Whisk Broom.....and most kids got some kid of a trinket for a gift.....I wonder how many of those pine scent trees were sold during that era?????I'm sure Prunepicker had one....and you too Jimbo.....I did...

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
... Funny though, most of them didn't have a Vacuum but they could get your
old car clean as new with that little Whisk Broom... and most kids got some
kid of a trinket for a gift... I wonder how many of those pine scent trees were
sold during that era? I'm sure Prunepicker had one... and you too Jimbo... I
did...
Those whisk brooms are far better than a vacuum. I use one. They bring up
dirt that a vacuum will miss.

I've never, ever had a green pine tree in my car. Nor will I ever. eeeek!

Generals64
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Those whisk brooms are far better than a vacuum. I use one. They bring up
dirt that a vacuum will miss.

I've never, ever had a green pine tree in my car. Nor will I ever. eeeek!

================================================== =============
Now WE ALL know what to get you for Christmas....Yee-Haw....you gotta hang it in the Coupe.....only befitting a ride that cool....

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Now WE ALL know what to get you for Christmas... Yee-Haw... you gotta
hang it in the Coupe... only befitting a ride that cool...
ACCK!
No way Jose!

grantgeneral78
12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I know that "Pizza Planet" has been mentioned here many times but, does anyone know anything about the owners? Who they were or what happened to them?

Thanks now my mouth is watering, those were the thickest pizza`s around!

Godfathers used to be a close second, but nothing beat them IMO

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
In the 80's Pizza Hut had something called the priatzo, or something like that.
it was a pie! I remember ordering the Roma.

Good pizza!

Generals64
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks now my mouth is watering, those were the thickest pizza`s around!

Godfathers used to be a close second, but nothing beat them IMO
Have you been to Jo's in Purcell??? I know, everyone talks about Rodney's (Jo's Nephew) and the one in Edmond...Go to the root of the whole thing and order the Supreme combination....As big a guy as you are, you can't eat a whole one by yourself......Or, get in that little car and go to Guido's in Tontitown, Arkansas. Order the Extra Large Supreme and then you will have lunch for the rest of the week....Ask Prunepicker.....the Pizza there is wonderful....and then Mary Maestri's down highway 412 going east
and you will be begging for someone to shoot you you will have eaten so much....Check it out.....

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Pizza Planet was a Friday night given in the early 70's! I always ordered a
medium cheese pizza. I was a hippie nutcase at that time, that is, I was
trying to be a vegetarian while all along couldn't stand it!

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 05:05 PM
We've probably mentioned this a dozen times.

I miss Monterey House. The waitresses were the best. Why? Because they'd
date me. LOL!

The food was great, too. Very similar to El Charritos!

gen70
12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
We've probably mentioned this a dozen times.

I miss Monterey House. The waitresses were the best. Why? Because they'd
date me. LOL!

The food was great, too. Very similar to El Charritos!
I agree Monterey House was pretty good.

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree Monterey House was pretty good.
I always ordered the kiddie meal, which consisted of rice and beans, and
would make rice and bean burritos!

We'd, an obnoxious rock band lol, eat at the one on N.W. 39th Expressway.

Great set ups, food and waitresses! Superb waitresses! Don't tell Prunette!

papaOU
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM

I remember the best candy displays and selections were at service stations. Seemed they were all under a glass display. Banana Bikes were my favorite!

Let's not forget Big Hunks

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/big-hunk.htm

grantgeneral78
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Have you been to Jo's in Purcell??? I know, everyone talks about Rodney's (Jo's Nephew) and the one in Edmond...Go to the root of the whole thing and order the Supreme combination....As big a guy as you are, you can't eat a whole one by yourself......Or, get in that little car and go to Guido's in Tontitown, Arkansas. Order the Extra Large Supreme and then you will have lunch for the rest of the week....Ask Prunepicker.....the Pizza there is wonderful....and then Mary Maestri's down highway 412 going east
and you will be begging for someone to shoot you you will have eaten so much....Check it out.....

Yeah we eat there from time to time, they make them like pizza planet used to....opps now I got to go get one monday!

skyrick
12-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Does anyone remember Dairy Boy? I think it was a local chain trying to piggyback on the Dairy Queen name and reputation. I remember the one around NE 36th & Kelly. Junior and senior years (69-71) at NEHS we used to pile 6 or 7 people in a car and, after a little pre-lunch entertainment, head up to DB. I remember getting 2 footlongs, fries and a large coke all for 25 cents each!

Rick

Prunepicker
12-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Does anyone remember Dairy Boy? I think it was a local chain trying to
piggyback on the Dairy Queen name and reputation.
I believe Dairy Boy was long before Dairy Queen. There was on on S.E. 15th
and just west of Eastern, near Crooked Oak. There are still some around.
There are some that are in business around the state.

kevinpate
12-20-2009, 05:15 PM
... how many of us still remember the guy at the Service Station that pumped your gas....Cleaned your windshield...checked under the hood and many times topped off the radiator or brake fluid and said Thanks....Ya'll come back! ??? ...

Summer in da 80's SE Oklahoma. I was in the home town, betwixt and between one college experience and another. A friend from high school a few years my elder had (a) just taken over a local station and (b) had his young children for the summer.

Having none of my own at the time, I stepped up at low dollar level to help out an old friend, and spent a large part of my summer being ... that guy. the one with the cap, the rag in the hip pocket, the smile and the yeah, I know it's self-serve in this lane, but it's not like I was busy ... how's yer momma and pops doing by the by?

Was actually a rather enjoyable summer, one which I still fondly recall.
Not as interesting as getting paid to run about in da woods and occasionally tinker with explosives, but a good summer all the same.

CarltonsKeeper
12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Dairy Boy's were started by Hansen-Atlee Dairy located at about 17th and S. Penn. There was one across the street from Grant @ 48th and Penn. My Dad owned 3, partner on two. The original was at the dairy on S Penn, one at N.W. 36th & Walker and another at about 70th and N. Western. There was one in McLoud which is now a convenience store and gas station. There were a few more but I've forgotten where they all were, but they were Franchises!!!! The first one opened in about 1954...........

grantgeneral78
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Dairy Boy's were started by Hansen-Atlee Dairy located at about 17th and S. Penn. There was one across the street from Grant @ 48th and Penn. My Dad owned 3, partner on two. The original was at the dairy on S Penn, one at N.W. 36th & Walker and another at about 70th and N. Western. There was one in McLoud which is now a convenience store and gas station. There were a few more but I've forgotten where they all were, but they were Franchises!!!! The first one opened in about 1954...........

There is one in lexington, we went there not to long back. Where did it set on 48th and penn?

Prunepicker
12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I believe Dairy Boy was long before Dairy Queen. There was on on S.E. 15th
and just west of Eastern, near Crooked Oak. There are still some around.
There are some that are in business around the state.
I am wrong. Dairy Queen began in 1938, at least the soft serve was created
then. Dairy Boy was about 15 years later.

Prunepicker
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
There is one in lexington, we went there not to long back. Where did it set on
48th and penn?
There's one in Okemah that I frequented in the early 70's when the band I
was in played at the Armory. It was incredible at that time and from what I
hear, it still is!

It was the first place I knew of that would refill your soda and give you extra
fries if you ate all of them before your burger was gone.

papaOU
12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
There's one in Okemah that I frequented in the early 70's when the band I
was in played at the Armory. It was incredible at that time and from what I
hear, it still is!

It was the first place I knew of that would refill your soda and give you extra
fries if you ate all of them before your burger was gone.

Up until I finished the second grade we lived in Harrah. In fact Tim Holt purchased our house when we moved. The only drive-in was the Country Boy on N.E. 23 just west of the sharp turn in the highway. I remember they also advertised having "ice milk". What was the deal with that?:tiphat:

CarltonsKeeper
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
There is one in lexington, we went there not to long back. Where did it set on 48th and penn?
It was on the west side of Penn on the s.e. corner of 48th where the Parker Prescription service is now and the empty doctors office's are!

CarltonsKeeper
12-21-2009, 02:44 PM
48th only ran back west I think, so you might say it was the s.w. corner of 48th?????

jstaylor62
12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Here are the places I miss:

Crystal's Pizza on SW 74th
Godfather's Pizza
Neptunes
Split-T
Varsity Sports Grill
Roy Rogers
Piggys BBQ in Bricktown
Putt-Putt Golf
May Theatre - great for Rocky Horror

papaOU
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Here are the places I miss:

Crystal's Pizza on SW 74th
Godfather's Pizza
Neptunes
Split-T
Varsity Sports Grill
Roy Rogers
Piggys BBQ in Bricktown
Putt-Putt Golf
May Theatre - great for Rocky Horror

Someone said there is still a Neptunes in the city?

jstaylor62
12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Someone said there is still a Neptunes in the city?

There is one on N Classen, but it does not seem to be what I remember...

papaOU
12-21-2009, 05:10 PM
:cheersmf: Not a business, but I have noticed the return to grocery stores, canned goats milk...

CarltonsKeeper
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Neptune's is the ol "Quick's" drive in on N. Classen 'about' 31st!! They still make a good sandwich; I alwats get the "Old Italian"

grantgeneral78
12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
It was on the west side of Penn on the s.e. corner of 48th where the Parker Prescription service is now and the empty doctors office's are!

AHH ok where Dr. Mauldin had his practice. He was a great doc!

grantgeneral78
12-21-2009, 09:45 PM
There is one on N Classen, but it does not seem to be what I remember...

Yeah we went the about a month ago, they did not taste like they did when they were on penn.

gen70
12-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Dairy Boy's were started by Hansen-Atlee Dairy located at about 17th and S. Penn. There was one across the street from Grant @ 48th and Penn. My Dad owned 3, partner on two. The original was at the dairy on S Penn, one at N.W. 36th & Walker and another at about 70th and N. Western. There was one in McLoud which is now a convenience store and gas station. There were a few more but I've forgotten where they all were, but they were Franchises!!!! The first one opened in about 1954........... I remember the Dairy Boy's. Do you have any pics?

CarltonsKeeper
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I remember the Dairy Boy's. Do you have any pics?
No, I wished I did. My Dad had the one on N. Western, N.W. 36th & Walker and the McLoud Dairy Boy. Sold out on the two Northside ones and kept the McLoud. I was a pretty good car hop!! LOL

gen70
12-22-2009, 02:22 PM
No, I wished I did. My Dad had the one on N. Western, N.W. 36th & Walker and the McLoud Dairy Boy. Sold out on the two Northside ones and kept the McLoud. I was a pretty good car hop!! LOL I'am checking my memory, did the sign have a boy holding an ice cream cone? Can't find any info. on the net.

rcjunkie
12-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Wedgewood and Springlake amusment parks.

papaOU
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I'am checking my memory, did the sign have a boy holding an ice cream cone? Can't find any info. on the net.

That is correct.

gen70
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
That is correct. Thanks papa!

Generals64
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks papa!
================================================== =========
Hey, the one in lexington is for Sale. I'll try to get a photo of the sign this week if someone will post it for me....

gen70
12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
================================================== =========
Hey, the one in lexington is for Sale. I'll try to get a photo of the sign this week if someone will post it for me.... I think that's the Dairy Boy my family used to stop at on the way to and from Ardmore. If you get a pic 64 we'll get it on here some how.

papaOU
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Drove by an antique store today. Name of the place is, "Dead Peoples Things" LMAO

bluedogok
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I saw one in Denver about 15 years ago, I took a picture of the storefront, I am sure it is in a box somewhere.

rcjunkie
12-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Drove by an antique store today. Name of the place is, "Dead Peoples Things" LMAO

Is that the place on Linwood, near Virginia, if it is, they have some very unique antiques. There's a store in Guthrie called "Grandma Had One".

papaOU
12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Is that the place on Linwood, near Virginia, if it is, they have some very unique antiques. There's a store in Guthrie called "Grandma Had One".

Thats the one!!

okiegal57
01-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I was devastated when Taco Boy was demolished by the 1969 tornado.
It was located at NW 36th and May.
Luckily, a new one was built on Britton Road, even closer to my house.

mugofbeer
01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Does anyone recall if there was ever a Griff's drive-in burger joint in OKC? I used to go to one in Irving, TX and in Denver and the logo on their cups seemed familiar.

FRISKY
01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Does anyone recall if there was ever a Griff's drive-in burger joint in OKC? I used to go to one in Irving, TX and in Denver and the logo on their cups seemed familiar.I seem to remember one just west of Penn on SW 44th street.

Prunepicker
01-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I seem to remember one just west of Penn on SW 44th street.
You are correct! It was on the southside of the street, too.

papaOU
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Anyone else remember Tastee Freez? There was one on SE 29th about 2 blocks east of Robinson on the north side of the street. Were there more?

bluedogok
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Where Chuck House is located (NW 10th & Meridian) now was originally built as a Big T restaurant which was a DQ concept for Tastee-Freeze. It wasn't open very long before it was a Del Rancho and then became Chuck House.

gen70
01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
We have a Tastee Freeze here in Asheville N.C. that is open only in summer. A few years ago we ate at one in Gordonsville Va.. Wasn't that great.

papaOU
01-02-2010, 08:53 PM
The Eagles Nest..

Only placed that served fried mush................

Prunepicker
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
We have a Tastee Freeze here in Asheville N.C. that is open only in
summer. A few years ago we ate at one in Gordonsville Va.. Wasn't
that great.
A restaurant is only as good as the cook and service. Sad.

CarltonsKeeper
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Tastee Freeze on S.W. 44th just east of Rancho drive many moons ago later to be Los Tacos and so on!!

papaOU
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Tastee Freeze on S.W. 44th just east of Rancho drive many moons ago later to be Los Tacos and so on!!

I will trade Tastee Freeze for a Los Tacos any day.....

CarltonsKeeper
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I will trade Tastee Freeze for a Los Tacos any day.....
Me Too!!

grantgeneral78
01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Billies Tastee Freeze was the best, I recall them big ole burgers and rootbeers.

FRISKY
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
First hotdog with chili I ever ate came from the Tastee Freeze at SW 59th and Penn. Also the first onion rings. I have never had any better.

Generals64
02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Going through the old back up threads I found this one.....Now think about this:

How would you like to have gotten a 1963 Chevrolet Impala from Downtown Chevrolet Brand new ($ 2,987.00 sticker price). Filled the tank with 32.9 cent ETHYL Gasoline....Gone over and picked up your best girl and gone to Glen's Hikry Inn for dinner.....then to the Tower Theater for a Movie and finished off the night with Ice Cream from Capitol Hill Ice Cream.......Total cost of the gasoline and the date would have been around $20.00........TRY THAT NOW......O.K. tell me your story using other (Not in business now) businesses in the OKC area.....DARE YOU.....

ddavidson8
02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I miss Stampede at NW 63rd and May.

flintysooner
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Going through the old back up threads I found this one.....Now think about this:

How would you like to have gotten a 1963 Chevrolet Impala from Downtown Chevrolet Brand new ($ 2,987.00 sticker price). Filled the tank with 32.9 cent ETHYL Gasoline....Gone over and picked up your best girl and gone to Glen's Hikry Inn for dinner.....then to the Tower Theater for a Movie and finished off the night with Ice Cream from Capitol Hill Ice Cream.......Total cost of the gasoline and the date would have been around $20.00........TRY THAT NOW......O.K. tell me your story using other (Not in business now) businesses in the OKC area.....DARE YOU.....1967 Chevelle SS 327 $3300. Steak dinner for two at Ned's Steak House (1 big sirloin shared, 2 baked potatoes, 2 salads, 2 iced teas) for $5.95 I think it was. Juliet of the Spirits at The Mayflower but price escapes me for that and other stuff. But like you say it was usually less than $20. But didn't earn much either.