View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

normanite
11-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Well the DEL RANCHO on East Lindsey in Norman don't get much business. I come up and visit Norman and the Metro once a year. Never see any cars parked out there hardly compared to Sonic and Classic 50's.

Sonic sucks in my opinion, horrible food for the money you pay, last time I went there ordered a footlong chili cheese dog, paid three bucks, little tiny footlong hotdog, hardly any cheese and chili on it. Will never go to SONIC ever again in my life.

Classic 50's will get my business, love their happy hour drinks.

normanite
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
The places I never want to see in that category to ever go out of business are businesses like CLASSIC 50'S, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH in Norman, COITS, and CHARCOAL OVEN in northwest OKC!

Screw SONIC, there is no comparison! I will never go back to SONIC ever again. That franchise has ruined the old time establishments that were so much better!

I forgot DEL RANCHO, one of a kind establishment, let's hope they stay around forever! You know the DEL RANCHO in Norman years before it became DEL RANCHO, was a place called JONES'YS, this was like those old time drive up places like they had from the 50's to 70's, not a bad place either.

Just like I mentioned above the old A@W DRIVE IN, there was one on Robinson in Norman, old style frosty mugs like COITS still has. These places were better than SONIC, heck the old DAIRY QUEENS had better burgers than SONIC, dip cones,etc.

normanite
11-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Here's the places I like to go to when I come back to OKC Metro. I haven't lived in Oklahoma since 94. Usually when I come back to visit I stay a few days to a couple of months. But these places when I'm hungry and want what is good, things that I can't get here in a major metropilis like Tampa Bay which has like 3 million people. You would be shocked at how I think. Tampa Bay has better Seafood and Italian restaurants but thats it.

When I want awesome BBQ, I go to the COUNTY LINE RESTAURANT! You cant beat the cadillac buffet dinner there! Vans pork stand, which used to be Lindeys is not a bad second choice but COUNTY LINE is original, used to be a speakeasy in the 30's I love the little private side tables. There is a story to tell about them in themselves, all about Prohibition.

When I want Chinese Buffet I go to PANDA GARDEN in Norman, best Buffet in all of OKC metro.

When I want good pizza buffet, I go to MAZZIOS, there is no place here in Tampa Bay that has that good of a pizza buffet. We got CiCi's, they suck in comparison!

Burgers and the like, I try to hit COITS, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH in Norman, CHARCOAL OVEN IN NW OKC, DEL RANCHO for that steak sandwich supreme, and guess what BRAUMS. BRAUMS got good burgers and the real deal when it comes to ice cream and BANANA SPLITS. We got nothing like these places here in Tampa Bay.

Greek food, well Tampa Bay is the capital of all greek peoples in the USA, good greek, but for the money and the place, go down to campus corner in Norman to the Greek House. I wish that place was here. You cannot beat it!

And last but not least, I love my Tex Mex food. It aint here in Tampa Bay, they suck here. I usually try to hit Tarahamurus in Norman , but last time I went there they went down in my book, remember Cocina De Minos, they used to be the best, but they went down the drain, same thing with the Border Crossing in Norman, used to be really good, but now they are out of business because they changed and served up like microwavable mexican food, CHELINOS at least the last time I went there was still pretty good, some might mention I think its called TEDS, but I was not impressed at all with that place. For franchise Mexican food, ON THE BORDER is pretty good!

German food, My mom makes the best, but there is a pretty good place on Sooner Road in Southeast OKC!

There's lots of places also I am sure I have forgotten, but for the most place these are the places I like to visit when I am hungry when I come back to visit Oklahoma, places I crave and miss dearly, because honestly the food places here in Tampa Bay are frankly depressing. You don't realize it but the OKC metro has some pretty good places to go and pick up some food or sit down and eat at.

Prunepicker
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's a few more that I haven't seen, this list is way far from being complete.

SAMBOS
NICKERSON FARMS
HOWARD JOHNSONS

Yesterday we drove by one of the old Nickerson Farm buildings. I remember
a pipe coming out from the front door so the bees could access the indoor
hive.

Sambo's was a great place to hang out late at night.

papaOU
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the tigers became politically incorrect. Up until a few years ago Denny's was regularly hit with law suits for refusing to serve blacks.

The Del Rancho in Norman has not done booming business since the early 1990's. But it's steady enough to stay open.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

The grocery store was at 240 and Walker, Pratt's. (probably another victim of Walmart)

How about Robertson's (I think that was the name) ham sandwiches?

And then there are no convenience stores anymore. I was in a so called store and they charged a guy 20 cents for a pack of matches!!!!!!!!

Generals64
11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the tigers became politically incorrect. Up until a few years ago Denny's was regularly hit with law suits for refusing to serve blacks.

The Del Rancho in Norman has not done booming business since the early 1990's. But it's steady enough to stay open.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

The grocery store was at 240 and Walker, Pratt's. (probably another victim of Walmart)

And then there are no convenience stores anymore. I was in a so called store and they charged a guy 20 cents for a pack of matches!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was probably going to burn down the building....Pratt's is probably not the store he is talking about. The right building but not the right owner....Check out who the original grocers were in that building. the name has slipped my mind. AMC has sold to the Salvation Army....Sooner Dairy in Norman is a good place...Jimmy (the owner) is a good friend. Pizza...Try Jo's in Purcell or Rodney's in Purcell....Great Pizza....

mrbob
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Chief auto parts SW 23 and Walker, The 7-up plant at SW 4th and walker. The Black Brick northside hippe house. How about Carey Place it was scary, I drove down the street just the other day. Clementimes night club in Penn square. 21st Electric company club. The Elm Tree bar off Sw 29th and May bad ass Biker bar. :sofa:

papaOU
11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was probably going to burn down the building....Pratt's is probably not the store he is talking about. The right building but not the right owner....Check out who the original grocers were in that building. the name has slipped my mind. AMC has sold to the Salvation Army....Sooner Dairy in Norman is a good place...Jimmy (the owner) is a good friend. Pizza...Try Jo's in Purcell or Rodney's in Purcell....Great Pizza....

Was it Plett's?

normanite
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think it was Pratt's, I think it was the owners before. Right location though, Walker and I240.

Robertsons, We used to always stop there when going south to Dallas or Padre Island trips. Great Ham Sandwiches. I think there is still one in Marietta. Used to stop in Marietta also at the cookie factory for those cheap broken cookies and such. They no longer have this shop from what I heard.

http://www.picklesandbeefjerky.com/images/stories/robertsonsoutside.jpg

Prunepicker
11-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The
name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the
tigers became politically incorrect.
No, Sambo's never became Denny's. Sambo was a smart little kid who
got the tigers to chase each other around a tree so fast they turned to
butter. Sambo was really from India. There are no tigers in Africa.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's
Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

Ingrid's is very good and Robertson's has great ham sandwiches. The
closest one is on I-40 at the Seminole exit.

normanite
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll have to try Ingrids, never been there. Been to Old Germany in Choctaw. The one I am talking about is fairly new. Its called Royal Bavaria. Its on Sooner Road between Midwest city and Moore. Ate there a couple of times last time up visiting. Pretty good schweinebraten and they have their own brewery there and a biergarten out back with sometimes live entertainment . I like it because it reminds me of Munich Germany, a place I spent two years of my life.

Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit:tiphat:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/retroflections/files/2009/09/nickerson.jpg http://www.chemunghistory.com/jpgs/hojo.jpg

papaOU
11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
No, Sambo's never became Denny's. Sambo was a smart little kid who
got the tigers to chase each other around a tree so fast they turned to
butter. Sambo was really from India. There are no tigers in Africa.

Ingrid's is very good and Robertson's has great ham sandwiches. The
closest one is on I-40 at the Seminole exit.

I know the story of Sambo and the tiger butter. But I thought it still became Denny's because of the racist overture.

papaOU
11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I am going to post this one in two threads because I miss it and it was part of Capitol Hill:

The photo is from 1970 and and shows the sign at a slight angle in the background. Stallman's or Tallman's Fine Pastries.......

Photo is from the 1970 CHHS Yearbook - The Chieftain

http://68.12.132.110:8080/MyWeb/chhs7071/images/chhs70/57.jpg

normanite
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Here is what wikipedia says about Sambos.

A popular U.S. restaurant chain of the 1960s and 1970s, Sambo's, borrowed characters from the book (including Sambo and the tigers) for promotional purposes, although the Sambo name was originally a combination of the founders' nicknames: Sam (Sam Battistone) and Bo (Newell Bohnett). Nonetheless, the controversy about the book led to accusations of racism that contributed to the 1,117-restaurant chain's demise in the early 1980s. Images inspired by the book (now considered by some racially insensitive) were common interior decorations in the restaurants. Though portions of the original chain re-named themselves "No Place Like Sam's" to try to forestall closure, all but the original restaurant in Santa Barbara, California had closed by 1982.

http://www.sambosphotos.com/images/home/homepage_shot.jpg http://www.sambosphotos.com/0201topnav.jpg

bluedogok
11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
We used to go to the Sambo's at 23rd & Meridian in front of Windsor Lanes, I think the location is now a Thai restaurant.

I think there is still a Pizza Inn at Wilshire & May, we ate there a couple of years ago and I frequented it when I lived in The Village.

normanite
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Got another one for you should bring back some memories. I know there was one right next to Norman High School, pretty sure there were some in the city. You have to confirm this for me. Hardees eventually bought them all out. They were all gone and history by the early early 70's.

SANDY'S, this was an old time burger joint like McDonald's and Hardees.

http://captainerniesshowboat.com/sandyscolorbuilding.jpg

normanite
11-02-2009, 09:59 PM
PICADILLY CAFETERIA, I remember it being in one of the malls, possibly Crossroads.

There was also another cafeteria franchise that is no longer out there. Similar to Furr's and Picadilly, but I can't remember the name of it. There was one in Norman by the High school and at least one in the city, the one I used to eat at somewhere on the west side between I240 and I40, in the area of Penn and May. Went there all the time with my Mum. Maybe one of you can remember it.

Also wasn't there a restaurant called Adair's?

papaOU
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
I think Adair's was a cafeteria.

I think.

Prunepicker
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I think Adair's was a cafeteria.
I think.
Adair's was a cafeteria. There was on to the north of the Redding Shopping
Center on S. Western.

papaOU
11-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Adair's was a cafeteria. There was on to the north of the Redding Shopping
Center on S. Western.

I never cared for cafeteria food. Like buffets (few) but not cafeteria......

In junior high we given the option of a "cold lunch" or a "hot lunch"....

Of course the hot lunch was standard fare and the cold was sandwiches, chips, those huge cinnamon rolls, no-bake cookies, and all kinds of candy.

What do you think a kid would go for?

oneforone
11-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't think it was Pratt's, I think it was the owners before. Right location though, Walker and I240.

Robertsons, We used to always stop there when going south to Dallas or Padre Island trips. Great Ham Sandwiches. I think there is still one in Marietta. Used to stop in Marietta also at the cookie factory for those cheap broken cookies and such. They no longer have this shop from what I heard.

The Pratt's store was known as Crown IGA, before that McCartney's, before that Wheba's (SP) Grand Bazzar.

I worked at Pratt's back in high school. The upstairs offices looked exactly as they did in the 70's when the place was built. It was the most ugliest thing you ever seen. Orange carpet, orange carpet wall paper with mirrors, black walls and top it off a muzak system.

normanite
11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Thats it Webbs grand bazarre, the original store with wild fresh seafood. The bazaare in the name is what gets it for me. This was no ordinary named grocery store and you could get some pretty rare things there as far as food goes. I know we went there to check it out many times because it was kind of neat. That was back in the 70's.

Adairs cafeteria, but that is not the one I am talking about. There is another one and if I can remember or someone else can remember the name it will come back to you. This was back in the 60s-70's. I am not that huge on cafeteria food, but I kind of miss the old Furr's style. Seems to me like the food isn't as good or something now with it all sitting out there for you to just grab yourself. Just not the same I don't know why. Different Atmosphere perhaps, more like a circus and so loud now with everybody running around to get there food instead of a relaxed atmosphere with the waiters getting your extras like before? They used to have a guy play the piano at the one in Norman, quite nice and relaxing. But that Furr's is history now. Probably never to be again.

Generals64
11-03-2009, 07:11 AM
The Pratt's store was known as Crown IGA, before that McCartney's, before that Wheba's (SP) Grand Bazzar.

I worked at Pratt's back in high school. The upstairs offices looked exactly as they did in the 70's when the place was built. It was the most ugliest thing you ever seen. Orange carpet, orange carpet wall paper with mirrors, black walls and top it off a muzak system.

================================================== ============
Robertson's Ham Sandwiches are all over Texas and yes they are still in Marietta.....Dodson's was on the North end of Reding Shopping as that was Joe Dodson's Second location.....Used to belong to a civic organization and that was where we met for years.....

MsDarkstar
11-03-2009, 07:56 AM
There was a Picadilly Cafeteria at Crossroads Mall, it was upstairs on the North side at the first mall entrance beside Penny's...they put a Braum's in across from it, and at one point I think that Braum's got turned into a fish place.

In Norman, in the shopping center where Hasting's is now (24th & Main?) back in the corner I remember there being a cafeteria. Was that a Furr's? I think there was a children's shoe store beside it that had some kind of ride inside, maybe a carousel?

Generals64
11-03-2009, 07:58 AM
PICADILLY CAFETERIA, I remember it being in one of the malls, possibly Crossroads.

There was also another cafeteria franchise that is no longer out there. Similar to Furr's and Picadilly, but I can't remember the name of it. There was one in Norman by the High school and at least one in the city, the one I used to eat at somewhere on the west side between I240 and I40, in the area of Penn and May. Went there all the time with my Mum. Maybe one of you can remember it.

Also wasn't there a restaurant called Adair's?

================================================== ============
LUBY'S Cafeteria.........

Generals64
11-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I'll have to try Ingrids, never been there. Been to Old Germany in Choctaw. The one I am talking about is fairly new. Its called Royal Bavaria. Its on Sooner Road between Midwest city and Moore. Ate there a couple of times last time up visiting. Pretty good schweinebraten and they have their own brewery there and a biergarten out back with sometimes live entertainment . I like it because it reminds me of Munich Germany, a place I spent two years of my life.

Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit:tiphat:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/retroflections/files/2009/09/nickerson.jpg http://www.chemunghistory.com/jpgs/hojo.jpg

================================================== ===============
Royal Bavaria is between Moore and Norman on sooner road. Located on the West side of the street. Their Beer was pretty good (I thought) and the meal was pretty good....the Check was Stupid......don't order an extra basket of Bread.....or two.....

normanite
11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
You got it, DODSON'S CAFETERIA. Went all the time with my mother and her best friend back in the 70's. This is a cool topic. Brings back memories.
Here's one but it was only in Norman.

FRONTIER RESTERAUNT. It gone now about fifteen years or so, the owner died. It was on East Alameda going out towards lake Thunderbird just before 24th ave SE. Now its some Mexican place, Los Dos Amigos, I think. Cool place, in the lobby giant bowl of peanuts you could eat while waiting for a table. Then inside it was all you could eat fried chicken and fried catfish with all the fixins.

normanite
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Ms DarkStar, yes that is where the Furr's cafeteria in Norman was. In that shopping mall where Hastings is back in the very corner. Was there for a long long time. Over thirty five years maybe 40. Had a lot of great memories there, friends I used to go and meet them there. Some of them no longer here.

It wasn't Luby's General, it was DODSON'S, you got it!

normanite
11-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes General, that's how they do it in Germany too. Don't ask for extra bread or rolls unless you want to pay for them. In germany they usually bring out a basket full of different types of rolls. And its not free. You don't have to pay if you don't eat them, but they look in that basket and charge you for each and every one of them. Its a whole different system over there and I guess ROYAL BAVARIA does it just like they do in Germany.
ROYAL BAVARIA is a nice place, cost the guy a lot of money to make it look the way it does, and get it running. Food and beer taste great, great atmosphere, but you going to pay and have a pretty good sized check when you go there. They are not cheap. But most German Restaurants aren't.

Prunepicker
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Robertson's Ham Sandwiches are all over Texas and yes they are still in
Marietta... Dodson's was on the North end of Redding Shopping as that was
Joe Dodson's Second location... Used to belong to a civic organization and
that was where we met for years...

There's something about Robertson's that makes a great ham sandwich.

Adair's was a stand alone building just north of Redding. I believe the building
is still there. In fact it may be closer to Grand Blvd. and on the west side of
the street.

Prunepicker
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Adairs cafeteria, but that is not the one I am talking about. There is another
one and if I can remember or someone else can remember the name it will
come back to you.
Do you know the intersection or street location? Landmarks?

normanite
11-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Prunepicker, it was the Dodson's in Redding shopping Center. The General got it. Went there so many times, good food. I know we used to come up from Norman to go to that stand alone SEARS on S Western, before there was a Sooner Fashion Mall or a Crossroads Mall. It was the nearest Sears to Norman at the time. Afterward we would go to eat at Dodson's. We might have gone to that Adair's cafeteria also to try it out, but I do know for sure we went to that DODSON'S CAFETERIA a lot. When you lived in Norman at that time, we came up so many times to that region in OKC coming up Western, which I think was the old highway. Came up there often to go Service Merchandise and just a lot of other stores that Norman didn't have. Crystals Pizza, was another place, just lots of good stores and resteraunts in that area. Even though I lived in Norman I was up to Oklahoma City all the time. Used to go to Langstons a lot in Capitol Hill, and I think a Wackers store. Isnt there a Wackers somewhere around there. Been so long ago I can't remember. Went to Steak and Ale, Harrigans or Bennigans on I240, that area was like our fun little daytrip to go out to eat and go shopping.

Another area we went up to was the northwest side of OKC, was up there all the time too. Furniture shopping I think at Ballenger's, that place I think is gone now, could open up a whole can of worms on furniture places that have come and gone. I think we did most of our grocery shopping at AMC. Been there a hundred times in its heyday. Good deals on food and the like. Was kind of sad driving by it last year when I came and visited my mom. Its pretty worn down, nothing to look at, covered in graffitti and pot holes all in the parking lot and mounds of old blacktop, Hard to drive in there but I had to get off the road to check it out because it brought back lots of memories. Still there though but just a shell of what it used to be.

normanite
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Another place that might make this list soon is CROSSROADS MALL

Sounds like it is going through foreclosure and has a major vacancy rate with all the big anchor stores having left. Teen loitering I guess has become a problem too.

CROSSROADS MALL, I went to it all the time from its opening in early 1974. It was pretty cool place in those earlier years.

ROBERTSON'S must know how to smoke that meat the right way. Just checked out their website, you can even order their products and have it delivered, but wow, check out the prices. I guess you got to pay for the good stuff. Dang made me hungry for a good ham sandwich, pulling out some black forest ham to slap on some toast. Next time I come back to Oklahoma, gonna make it a day trip to go to Robertsons to savor the goodness in life! Make a day trip to Lake Murray or Texoma and a pit stop at that old wooden shack. Too bad the old Marietta cookie factory has gone out of business.

RealJimbo
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Here's the places I like to go to when I come back to OKC Metro. I haven't lived in Oklahoma since 94. Usually when I come back to visit I stay a few days to a couple of months. But these places when I'm hungry and want what is good, things that I can't get here in a major metropilis like Tampa Bay which has like 3 million people. You would be shocked at how I think. Tampa Bay has better Seafood and Italian restaurants but thats it.

When I want awesome BBQ, I go to the COUNTY LINE RESTAURANT! You cant beat the cadillac buffet dinner there! Vans pork stand, which used to be Lindeys is not a bad second choice but COUNTY LINE is original, used to be a speakeasy in the 30's I love the little private side tables. There is a story to tell about them in themselves, all about Prohibition.

When I want Chinese Buffet I go to PANDA GARDEN in Norman, best Buffet in all of OKC metro.

When I want good pizza buffet, I go to MAZZIOS, there is no place here in Tampa Bay that has that good of a pizza buffet. We got CiCi's, they suck in comparison!

Burgers and the like, I try to hit COITS, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH in Norman, CHARCOAL OVEN IN NW OKC, DEL RANCHO for that steak sandwich supreme, and guess what BRAUMS. BRAUMS got good burgers and the real deal when it comes to ice cream and BANANA SPLITS. We got nothing like these places here in Tampa Bay.

Greek food, well Tampa Bay is the capital of all greek peoples in the USA, good greek, but for the money and the place, go down to campus corner in Norman to the Greek House. I wish that place was here. You cannot beat it!

And last but not least, I love my Tex Mex food. It aint here in Tampa Bay, they suck here. I usually try to hit Tarahamurus in Norman , but last time I went there they went down in my book, remember Cocina De Minos, they used to be the best, but they went down the drain, same thing with the Border Crossing in Norman, used to be really good, but now they are out of business because they changed and served up like microwavable mexican food, CHELINOS at least the last time I went there was still pretty good, some might mention I think its called TEDS, but I was not impressed at all with that place. For franchise Mexican food, ON THE BORDER is pretty good!

German food, My mom makes the best, but there is a pretty good place on Sooner Road in Southeast OKC!

There's lots of places also I am sure I have forgotten, but for the most place these are the places I like to visit when I am hungry when I come back to visit Oklahoma, places I crave and miss dearly, because honestly the food places here in Tampa Bay are frankly depressing. You don't realize it but the OKC metro has some pretty good places to go and pick up some food or sit down and eat at.

Sad to say, the Greek House is no more. I understand that the family who ran it wanted to retire but their "younger generation" didn't want to work that hard. So they closed it. You're right about it, though, it was the best. Border Crossing is gone - they did have the best queso in town, though. You might be interested to know that Ozzie's is still in business at the airport in Norman. Good old greasy spoon fare. I agree with whomever mentioned Ingrid's Kitchen for German food. I haven't been to the Royal Bavaria that you mention on S. Sooner, but I plan to some day as it always gets good reviews.

normanite
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
WOW, Jimbo, you are the bearer of bad news, when I read that, I about dropped to my knees and had a heart attack or stroke or something. I am about to ball my brains out. The GREEK HOUSE is no more! Those are horrible words to say. Last time I was in Norman I went there several times. My mom told me the same thing you said. That older couple the owners who have been running the store for many years want to retire and have their sons take over the business. They want to retire and go back to Greece. I heard they were trying to sell it and their children wanted no part of it.

Thats a major loss for campus corner, all of Norman, and us people who just love that greasy greek Gyro food. Even that little salad with the feta they put on the Gyro plates was so fresh and good. Baklava was shipped in and they didn't make it but I always had to get one of those as a dessert. One of my favorites. They gave you so many fries you could never eat them all. That cucumber sauce (Tzatziki) they made it so fresh and good.

I have never been to Ozzies but my mom and her friends just love that place. You're right about the Border Crossings queso, I ordered it every time it was goooooooood. They had good Margaritas too.

Too bad some things change, it is not always the best thing. Some of the good things in life go away.

normanite
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh and by the way the REALJIMBO,

Are you psychic or something. In your post above when you mentiioned that I was probably thinking about Classic 50's. Are you kidding me. I visit that place the most when I come back, I was visiting that place sometimes two times a day. Those neon lights, the food is really good, those HAPPY HOUR drinks. Heck in my high school days in Norman that was the place to cruise in your sports car. I know I did, every night. I feel sorry for any of those other people that go next door to Sonic, what the hell, do they have the IQ of a turnip or what?

papaOU
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
WOW, Jimbo, you are the bearer of bad news, when I read that, I about dropped to my knees and had a heart attack or stroke or something. I am about to ball my brains out. The GREEK HOUSE is no more! Those are horrible words to say. Last time I was in Norman I went there several times. My mom told me the same thing you said. That older couple the owners who have been running the store for many years want to retire and have their sons take over the business. They want to retire and go back to Greece. I heard they were trying to sell it and their children wanted no part of it.

Thats a major loss for campus corner, all of Norman, and us people who just love that greasy greek Gyro food. Even that little salad with the feta they put on the Gyro plates was so fresh and good. Baklava was shipped in and they didn't make it but I always had to get one of those as a dessert. One of my favorites. They gave you so many fries you could never eat them all. That cucumber sauce (Tzatziki) they made it so fresh and good.

I have never been to Ozzies but my mom and her friends just love that place. You're right about the Border Crossings queso, I ordered it every time it was goooooooood. They had good Margaritas too.

Too bad some things change, it is not always the best thing. Some of the good things in life go away.

Are you sure the Greek House closed?

mugofbeer
11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you sure the Greek House closed?

Please say it isn't! Those are the best Gyros I ever had - AND the cheapest!

papaOU
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Please say it isn't! Those are the best Gyros I ever had - AND the cheapest!

I have to go to Norman Wednesday, so I am going to run by there. Hope it's not true.

MsDarkstar
11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I just called Greek House & spoke with a very nice gentleman with a very heavy accent :) He said they are indeed still in business. Their hours are 10:30am - 8:30pm Mon thru Sat.

RealJimbo
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I just called Greek House & spoke with a very nice gentleman with a very heavy accent :) He said they are indeed still in business. Their hours are 10:30am - 8:30pm Mon thru Sat.

That's great news! My most sincere apologies to all. I was mis-informed. I dearly love that place.

bluedogok
11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I have heard talk for many years of the owners wanting to move onto retirement but their preference would be to find someone to buy them out instead of closing. But there has been talk of them closing it seems every year for the past few because they haven't found anyone to take over.

Prunepicker
11-04-2009, 11:18 AM
That's great news! My most sincere apologies to all. I was mis-informed. I
dearly love that place.

Liar, liar
pants on fire.

Tell the truth. Where's your gyro stand?

:LolLolLol

papaOU
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
That's great news! My most sincere apologies to all. I was mis-informed. I dearly love that place.

Hey!

You are the current owner........

Attempting to get an offer thru this thread!

Good luck!

I have to sell change to get a hotdog and rootbeer once a month.........

normanite
11-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Wish we had a mega millionaire or billionarie like T Boone Pickens that feels like most of us people on this board.

If I was majorly wealthy, I would buy that Greek House and would keep the prices the same, maybe go up pennies a year on that stuff compared to high inflation.

I would buy COITS, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH, CHARCOAL OVEN, and the like and keep them around forever. Keeping prices low with that same great style of the old days. There would be a stipulation in my will that these places stayed open forever. Heck, I would make them non profit just to keep them open so the general public could savor the good things in life.

Just a dream, I wish I was a billionaire, I would know how to do things the right way. Make that money benefit the people as well and not be a greedy SOB and try to get richer and richer and richer at the peoples expense.

Sometimes I fantasize, wish I had the power and money to do things the right way. I would mass produce solar panels so much that they would be so cheap for everyone to use that they would be on every roof and business in this country. Use that solar power to mass produce hydrogen so we could run all of our cars off that stuff and forget about foreign oil. How would you like to put some hydrogen through that Boss 428 or hemi 426. It runs more effeciently and even has more kick in the HP category. No pollution. I wish I were king.

normanite
11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
See, what I really don't understand how these places go out of business? Places like Crystal's and Mollie Murphy's. Everybody really loves these types of establishments. Del Rancho, barely hanging on, I mean that Steak Sandwich supreme is hard to find, especially in my locale, nothing like that place or even close here in Tampa Bay.
When I go to Coits, Charcoal Oven, Sooner Dairy Lunch, DEL RANCHO there is hardly that much business. Not like Sonic gets. Its probably the advertising. Sonic spends a lot of money on advertising that they do get the business but they short change you on the food. Like I said, last time I went to Sonic I paid three dollars for a footlong chili cheese dog and it wasn't worth 50 cents. COITS'S smaller chili cheese dog at half the size was ten times better.

Classic 50's gets the business, and there is no advertising. Good location, but I think its those neon lights and the happy hour drinks that give them that benefit. They don't need to advertise because when you drive into Norman down Lindsey, you see that place a mile away. Plus the locals go there because of happy hour drinks.

If I was Sooner Dairy Lunches owner, I would try to make that place stand out a little more. It's really not noticeable and easy to pass by. Especially since its hardly open later at night. Some big sign like Charcoal oven got in front of it. Some kind of specials to bring people in. Like last time I went to Coits, it was buy one hot dog and get one free. Man COITS got the best chili cheese dogs around, dont they?

Charcoal oven, man those hickory sauce burgers, its all about that hickory sauce.

RealJimbo
11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
See, what I really don't understand how these places go out of business? Places like Crystal's and Mollie Murphy's. Everybody really loves these types of establishments. Del Rancho, barely hanging on, I mean that Steak Sandwich supreme is hard to find, especially in my locale, nothing like that place or even close here in Tampa Bay.
When I go to Coits, Charcoal Oven, Sooner Dairy Lunch, DEL RANCHO there is hardly that much business. Not like Sonic gets. Its probably the advertising. Sonic spends a lot of money on advertising that they do get the business but they short change you on the food. Like I said, last time I went to Sonic I paid three dollars for a footlong chili cheese dog and it wasn't worth 50 cents. COITS'S smaller chili cheese dog at half the size was ten times better.

Classic 50's gets the business, and there is no advertising. Good location, but I think its those neon lights and the happy hour drinks that give them that benefit. They don't need to advertise because when you drive into Norman down Lindsey, you see that place a mile away. Plus the locals go there because of happy hour drinks.

If I was Sooner Dairy Lunches owner, I would try to make that place stand out a little more. It's really not noticeable and easy to pass by. Especially since its hardly open later at night. Some big sign like Charcoal oven got in front of it. Some kind of specials to bring people in. Like last time I went to Coits, it was buy one hot dog and get one free. Man COITS got the best chili cheese dogs around, dont they?

Coits uses Schwab's weiners and chili...that's what makes the dog. Charcoal Oven did close their west location, just west of McArthur, but I eat at their original location once or twice a month. Still great burgers and onion ringss.

Generals64
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Went to the Charcoal Oven and just got back......Wonderful Burger and Onion rings.....$ 18.00???????????????????????????????????????????

Prunepicker
11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Went to the Charcoal Oven and just got back... Wonderful Burger and Onion
rings...$18.00?
But it was 2 hamburgers and rings with a drink, right? You should have
doubled your order and dropped by!

Prunepicker
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Coits uses Schwab's weiners and chili... that's what makes the dog.
On Friday's Schwab's gives away hot dogs, hot links and other links that you
can eat on a bun. While you're down there pick up a few pounds of coffee at
Coffee Dan's. Absolutely the best beans in town.

bluedogok
11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
See, what I really don't understand how these places go out of business? Places like Crystal's and Mollie Murphy's. Everybody really loves these types of establishments.
Most of the time it is a debt load/cash flow situation. Many times someone is successful with one place and branches out and loses everything, much like Tayer with Molly Murphy's, it was TaMolly's along with the oil bust that helped hasten the demise of Tayer's restaurants. I have a book that I picked up at Full Circle about Molly Murphy's written by Tayer's widow (Amazon link to Whatever Happened to Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute? (http://www.amazon.com/Whatever-Happened-Molly-Murphys-Repute/dp/1598585193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257388686&sr=1-1)) which gives some of the story about the rise and fall. I knew others who did work for Tayer and got "other viewpoints" about the story as well.

Crystal's had other locations scattered around this part of the country, I think debt load took them under. Much of it had to do with the movement of pizza delivery chains into the cities. The first time that I had heard of pizza delivery was when I was at OU, it just really didn't exist in OKC that I knew of. I think the proliferation of those killed of the large large pizza/entertainment parlors like Crystal's and Shotgun Sam's because they couldn't compete on price or delivery with that large of a facility to pay for compared to the 800 sf or so strip mall slots that a typical Domino's occupies.

Prunepicker
11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Prunette and I miss the Hungry Peddler. We talked about it as we were
driving by Shorty Smalls this afternoon. It was one of the few places in town
that knew how to cook a steak.

papaOU
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Crystal's was owned and operated by the same group that also had Casa Bonita. My sister worked at Crystal's.

Hey '64!! Got a chicken-fried steak dinner and a 44oz. D.P. at Del Rancho Tuesday evening. $11.00!!!

Generals64
11-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Crystal's was owned and operated by the same group that also had Casa Bonita. My sister worked at Crystal's.

Hey '64!! Got a chicken-fried steak dinner and a 44oz. D.P. at Del Rancho Tuesday evening. $11.00!!!

================================================== ==========
Think I'm going to open a restaurant....I can get rich in one week and then close it down and go broke....

FRISKY
11-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Went to the Charcoal Oven and just got back......Wonderful Burger and Onion rings.....$ 18.00???????????????????????????????????????????Ho w much would it have cost at Coits?

Prunepicker
11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Think I'm going to open a restaurant... I can get rich in one week and then
close it down and go broke...
I'm not a financial expert but I'd open a restaurant, get rich in one week then
sell it to somebody for a huge profit and let them go broke.

But then again, I should have bought gold when $30 an ounce...

papaOU
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not a financial expert but I'd open a restaurant, get rich in one week then
sell it to somebody for a huge profit and let them go broke.

But then again, I should have bought gold when $30 an ounce...

I think the safest way to become a successful business man is to be the middle-man.

Generals64
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I think the safest way to become a successful business man is to be the middle-man.

================================================== ===========
you got it my friend.....That is what I am getting into right now.....

RealJimbo
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Speaking of Casa Bonita, it is back in business in Tulsa.

gen70
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
People "bad mouth" Casa Bonita but, I always loved it.