View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Generals64
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Nayfees restaurant (not sure of spelling) at Lake Texoma across the bridge from the lodge.

Naifeh's:.................great steak house....got torched though.......

Prunepicker
08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Naifeh's... great steak house... got torched though...

I didn't know Jack Sussy ran it!

Generals64
08-27-2009, 06:34 AM
I tried out the Cuban at ND Foods....very good! Never been to Lottinville's. I try to stay Southside ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You go Girl:....................

circled9
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Nothing against Frontier City but I used to love going to Springlake and Wedgewood Park.

gen70
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I didn't know Jack Sussy ran it!

I know what yer saying. What was the name of the place he had at around Lincoln blv. ? The food was pretty good.

Prunepicker
08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I know what yer saying. What was the name of the place he had at around
Lincoln blv? The food was pretty good.

That was Sussy's on N.E. 36th and N. Lincoln. I got to visit with Jake
Samara, the brains behind Sussy and owner of the restaurants. Jack was
a very charismatic individual, Jake was not, just all business. Jake owned
the Tempo club on N.E. 23rd. Once day he heard a commotion in the
restaurant and saw Jack Sussy moving the tables and furniture around!
When asked why he said, "I'm going to work here". After visiting with him
for a while Jake asked if he knew anything about the restaurant business.
Jack said, "I worked at a deli in New Orleans for a little while." Jake hired
him and changed the name of the place to "Sussys". He had the sign
painter put Susy's over Tempo to save money. Sussy was always the front
man for Jake Samara.

Sussy had his own restaurant east of N.E. 50th and N. Lincoln.

Redskins/General
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Naifeh's:.................great steak house....got torched though.......
They re-opened Naifey's in Durant shortly after the fire. But last time I was there it appeared to be gone. Really wasn't that good of food when it was on hi-way 70 by the lodge, but you didn't have much choice. They had a back room with a fire place and sold liquor and what have you. At one time you had to be invited to even get to go in the back..

gen70
08-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I thought the BBQ the beans and the strawberry pie was good. Maybe I was just hungry.

CCOKC
08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
They re-opened Naifey's in Durant shortly after the fire. But last time I was there it appeared to be gone. Really wasn't that good of food when it was on hi-way 70 by the lodge, but you didn't have much choice. They had a back room with a fire place and sold liquor and what have you. At one time you had to be invited to even get to go in the back..

They reopened south of Durant, I forget which town (Calera maybe). Our lake house used to be just 2 miles north of the original . In the same summer Naifeh's and Fin and Feather burned down across the street from each other in different fires. Ironically, the volunteer fire department building was located right behind Fin and Feather. Made me wonder what chance my mobile home had being 2 miles away as I wrote my donation check every year.

gen70
08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I remember the Fin and Feather too. I thought it was a pretty good place to eat also.

jkbigcat
09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
That may be a good recipe but it is not the Original Hermans coleslaw.

This may be it. I can't find the waitress who served us when we ate there.
Her name was Betty. She had the recipe, because that was one of her jobs
at Herman's.

This may be the recipe. Prunette and I made some a couple of weeks ago
and it's very good.

perrygreen
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Lived in OKC (NW 63rd and Meridian, Lakewood subdivision) from 1984-91. I remember:

Super Saver Cinema with the red and blue glass block lights that seemed to call you in from the parking lot when you were a little kid.
Anthony's clothes store.
Some Smorgasboard place by the Super Saver Cinema.
Two Peso's.
Rose's Cantina...I seem to remember a hidden skate area in the trees behind that place. We were always scared there would be gangs in there haha.
Skaggs/Jewel Osco/Albertson's
Homeland...with the treasure chest of free dum-dum suckers.
Some bike store on Meridian that I LOVED. I think there was a comic book store right across the street next to Leslie's Pool Supplies.
Joe's Onion Fried Burger's
Terry's Mini-Mart and Mix Shop

papaOU
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Is Joe's Onion Burgers not still there?

Last time I ate there the cook had a shirt on from Waste Management!!

Redskins/General
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Anyone remember Longbell Lumber?

perrygreen
10-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Is Joe's Onion Burgers not still there?

Last time I ate there the cook had a shirt on from Waste Management!!

Not sure if it's still there or not, but I'm not surprised by the WM shirt on the cook!

papaOU
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Not sure if it's still there or not, but I'm not surprised by the WM shirt on the cook!

He said he bought it at a second-hand store..........

Generals64
10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Texanna Red's and their "Hot" Guacomale Salad.....

papaOU
10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Was Mr. Black of "The Spot" fame a police officer?

Triple-decker with cheese.................

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Generals64
10-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Been mentioned before but, I would dearly like to have an order of Lasagna from Nicolosis'...How 'bout you prunepicker????

papaOU
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Been mentioned before but, I would dearly like to have an order of Lasagna from Nicolosis'...How 'bout you prunepicker????

Don't know about prune.................

But I darn sure would.........

Even a meatball sandwich from Nicks......

Prunepicker
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Been mentioned before but, I would dearly like to have an order of Lasagna
from Nicolosis'... How 'bout you prunepicker?
Sounds good to me. Do you know anyone who has the recipe(s)?

RealJimbo
10-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I could not remember which thread the question came up on, so I decided to post the info I found here. The miniature golf-course on the east side of Western and north of the River was:

The Downtown Golf Center

1800 South Western

632-9056

They had the miniature golf course and a lighted 9 hole pitch-n-putt.

My grandfather was a professional gambler and as I got older I followed him around. There were businesses around town that were a "front." Capitol Sports Center, bowling alley on 29Th, Trosper golf course, and a carpet store on 44Th next to Sheen's. The parking lot was always full but there may have been only two "salesmen" inside the showroom at one time. In the back of the store were dice-games and poker tables. Fat Eddy usually faded the dice tables.
The reason I mention the gamblers is because four or five of the guys would go play the pitch-n-putt course. They would wager on scores per hole with only one rule. No wedges! Had to play the entire course using a putter only. Have some other stories about these guys for later.

You may know of some other "cover" locations that are no longer around. The building at Springlake just across from the front of the penny arcade - the door was around on the back side - Springlake was an incorporated municipality all its own. Hook N Slice mini golf and driving range. There was a second story room where the only access was a spiral staircase. Pody Poe owned it...enough said.

gen70
10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
You may know of some other "cover" locations that are no longer around. The building at Springlake just across from the front of the penny arcade - the door was around on the back side - Springlake was an incorporated municipality all its own. Hook N Slice mini golf and driving range. There was a second story room where the only access was a spiral staircase. Pody Poe owned it...enough said.

I have heard many stories about the Poe's. Wish I knew which ones were true and which weren't.

Prunepicker
10-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I have heard many stories about the Poe's. Wish I knew which ones were true
and which weren't.
Are you insinuating that some of the stories aren't true?

gen70
10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Are you insinuating that some of the stories aren't true?

Don't know...Some of them were pretty wild. Should'nt have got off topic I quess.

Generals64
10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Don't know...Some of them were pretty wild. Should'nt have got off topic I quess.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of his relatives worked for TG&Y if that makes you feel any better since you also worked for TG&Y in a round about way.....

Prunepicker
10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Some of his relatives worked for TG&Y if that makes you feel any better since
you also worked for TG&Y in a round about way...
That explains how TG&Y could sell guns for so cheap. I think that
orangutan was really left loose when you closed #411 for protection.

In fact I don't think the orangutan was real. I think it was you in an
orangutan suit.
Go ahead. Prove you weren't Remember, you've been at all of the Southside
Get Togethers.

papaOU
10-15-2009, 09:49 PM

From my minor association with that crowd the wilder stories of Poe are usually the ones that were factual.

stick47
10-16-2009, 06:22 AM
One store I miss; The mobile home made into a fishing tackle store somewhere near downtown? Used to go there and that Lady always had what I was after.

grantgeneral78
10-16-2009, 06:45 AM
One store I miss; The mobile home made into a fishing tackle store somewhere near downtown? Used to go there and that Lady always had what I was after.

I completelt forgot about that place I- used to go there all the time. She always had stuff you could not find anywhere else

RealJimbo
10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
The old Freddie's Tires on Agnew. Likewise, Geno's Restaurant on Agnew. What was the BBQ place with the walkup window by U.S. Grant? Little Jim's (I worked there in the '60's). Rocket Skate. Beverly's at Economy Square. Parson's Barber Shop. Dodson's Cafeteria (already mentioned, but I miss it big time).

gen70
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The old Freddie's Tires on Agnew. Likewise, Geno's Restaurant on Agnew. What was the BBQ place with the walkup window by U.S. Grant? Little Jim's (I worked there in the '60's). Rocket Skate. Beverly's at Economy Square. Parson's Barber Shop. Dodson's Cafeteria (already mentioned, but I miss it big time).
Was the BBQ joint the "Red Barn" next door to the YMCA?

RealJimbo
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't remember for sure, but I think it had someone's name. It was off Penn about 1/2 block.

gen70
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I can't remember for sure, but I think it had someone's name. It was off Penn about 1/2 block.
The "Red Barn" was more of a "burger joint". The only BBQ joint I can remember that was close to "Grant" was "Ray's" on Blackwelder.

RealJimbo
10-16-2009, 03:28 PM
The "Red Barn" was more of a "burger joint". The only BBQ joint I can remember that was close to "Grant" was "Ray's" on Blackwelder.

That may have been it. Such a long time ago.

RealJimbo
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Fotomat kiosks
Cornucopia restaurant- NW63rd between Portland and NWHwy
Neptune's sandwiches

Neptune's Subs is still open on N. Classen.

Prunepicker
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
One store I miss; The mobile home made into a fishing tackle store
somewhere near downtown? Used to go there and that Lady always had what
I was after.
The fishing tackle store was B&B. They were on @ N.W. 9th and N. Western.

papaOU
10-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Applewoods.....................

How about the Wilds?

Good food and great buffet.

bluedogok
10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Applewoods...I remember an Applewood's Bakery Outlet in a little block building on NW 10th by where Heartland College is located now. We used to get the apple fritter batter there and make them at home.

OldSalt
10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I heard one of the son's took over and move the restraunt to the northside and turned it into a sports bar. He then quickly went bottoms up. I'm repeating heresay since I haven't been back to the City in seven years. I do miss it though.

Prunepicker
10-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Applewoods... I remember an Applewood's Bakery Outlet in a little block
building on NW 10th by where Heartland College is located now. We used to
get the apple fritter batter there and make them at home.

When they moved the restaurant from S.W. 3rd street to W. Memorial road
the quality dropped dramatically. In fact it dropped so bad that there wasn't
a wait to get a table. Does anyone know why they moved. That was a bad
decision.

I'm glad they've had to since to keep Cattleman's in the same location.

bluedogok
10-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Actually that bakery location was open when it was still at the original location, it was right around 1980 when that bakery was open and long before they reopened on Memorial. It was only open about a year.

I think they closed the Reno & Meridian area location at one point and then reopened it but it didn't stay open that long and eventually reopened on Memorial. The Memorial location was never the same as the original. It probably had to do with ownership issues/changes, that is usually what affects restaurants.

papaOU
10-17-2009, 05:37 PM
When they moved the restaurant from S.W. 3rd street to W. Memorial road
the quality dropped dramatically. In fact it dropped so bad that there wasn't
a wait to get a table. Does anyone know why they moved. That was a bad
decision.

I'm glad they've had to since to keep Cattleman's in the same location.

I think Cattleman's would close instead of moving.

Is the place still in the hands of the Wades? Any Wades family in the restaurant business?

Generals64
10-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I think Cattleman's would close instead of moving.

Is the place still in the hands of the Wades? Any Wades family in the restaurant business?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++
The Wades are all gone, the people that owned Applewoods now own Cattlemens completely.....Knew both Gene and Percy very well......Hated to see those two pass on.....

RealJimbo
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Anyone remember the Black Brick coffee house? How about the Sword in the Stone? Spent many happy hours at the Sword listening to (experiencing) live acoustic music. Mostly local, but a few national acts would stop in from time to time.

USG '60
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Anyone remember the Black Brick coffee house? How about the Sword in the Stone? Spent many happy hours at the Sword listening to (experiencing) live acoustic music. Mostly local, but a few national acts would stop in from time to time.

Yep, but through a fog.

gen70
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep, but through a fog.
Same...Same..What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside. The Brick was close to OCC right?

papaOU
10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Was the Sword in the Stone in the downtown area? I want to say it was on Hudson about NW7th or 8th

Prunepicker
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Same... Same... What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside.
The Brick was close to OCC right?
OCU on N. McKinley.

RealJimbo
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Same...Same..What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside. The Brick was close to OCC right?

Sword in the Stone was about N. Hudson and 7th, right on the corner. The Black Brick was back in a neighborhood on N. McKinley, south of N.W. 23rd.

Prunepicker
10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Brick was back in a neighborhood on N. McKinley, south of N.W. 23rd.

It was north of N.W. 23rd near N.W. 26th and on the west side of the street.

RealJimbo
10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
It was north of N.W. 23rd near N.W. 26th and on the west side of the street.

Right you are. North, not south.

normanite
11-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Here's a few more that I haven't seen, this list is way far from being complete.

SAMBOS
NICKERSON FARMS
HOWARD JOHNSONS

Boy, I miss the Double R Bar Burger from Roy Rogers.

One business I am worried about DEL RANCHO, I live in Florida now and we don't got nothing like the steak sandwich supreme down here, heck they dont know much about chicken fried steak dinners either here. When I come back to Norman and the OKC metro, one of the first places I go to is Del Rancho to get one of those Steak sandwich supremes, however, I hardly to see much business there.

I know a few more places you guys and gals haven't brought up just trying to remember their names.

Generals64
11-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Here's a few more that I haven't seen, this list is way far from being complete.

SAMBOS
NICKERSON FARMS
HOWARD JOHNSONS

Boy, I miss the Double R Bar Burger from Roy Rogers.

One business I am worried about DEL RANCHO, I live in Florida now and we don't got nothing like the steak sandwich supreme down here, heck they dont know much about chicken fried steak dinners either here. When I come back to Norman and the OKC metro, one of the first places I go to is Del Rancho to get one of those Steak sandwich supremes, however, I hardly to see much business there.

I know a few more places you guys and gals haven't brought up just trying to remember their names.

================================================== ===========
Welcome to the Dance:.....Del Rancho in Moore is Thriving as they have a new owner that wants to attempt to bring the franchise alive and well...

normanite
11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Here is another one,

THE KETTLE, they had a nice breakfast buffet that was cheap and good
BIG EDS HAMBURGERS, did you ever try that great big family size one?
A@W DRIVE INS, these were like the new sonics or like COITS, good frosty mugs of rootbeer, at least COITS still does the frosty mugs
PINNOCHIOS PIZZA, I dont know if this was just a Norman thing, there was three of them there, one on East Lindsey, one in Stubbeman Village, and I think one in Brookhaven, the old type dark pizza places with some character, awesome salad and breadsticks, pretty good pizza too.
ORINS PIZZA
KENS PIZZA

I know some more got to remember the names though.

Glens steakhouse, I know it was listed but had fond memories of it and used to go there a lot of Sundays for their buffet

normanite
11-02-2009, 07:26 AM
CAPTAIN D'S, not a bad fast food seafood joint like long johns
PIZZA INN, I thought I saw one way up on the northwest side, not sure, but they used to be all over the place like pizza hut
DUNKIN DONUTS, I know they are no longer in Oklahoma but down here in Florida they are flourishing, everybodys loves their coffee here
WINCHELLS DONUTS, last time I was there I didn't see it

I got more coming, surprised you guys haven't thought of these yet

normanite
11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AMC, I think that is what it was called, this was a place you could get about anything, food, clothes, etc. Like an old time super walmart. It was somewhere in southwest OKC, off of may or penn, or western. Used to go to it all the time in the 70's. Drove by it last year when I visited my Mom and its like now covered in Mexican graffitti and the parking lot is like all potholes and mounds of old blacktop. Heck that whole area now looks like nothing but Mexican businesses. That whole area is looking pretty runned down. What happened?

There was another great big Grocery store, southside, just south of I240 off of santa fe or walker or western. Forgot the name of it, but its gone, used to have one heck of a meat market, especially seafood. Live lobsters, back then this was new, fresh octopuss, and the such, Forgot the name, maybe someone will remember and bring this back to memory.

normanite
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
LANGSTONS, the store in old CAPITOL HILL, used to go there just to go down in their basement to get deals on irregulars. Heck I bought my first and only pair of cowboy boots there. Lizard skin toes and leather. Wore those boots all over the place for years, heck I wore those on a trip to Europe, went into old Yugoslavia, had to wait at the border for a visa with some redheaded russian type looking women carrying a machine gun. Never forget it, boy did I stand out, cowboy boots, levis, IZOD shirt on.

Maybe Langstons is still there, I dont know, what about WHACKERS? WACKERS had a lot of cowboy type clothing and boots also, Is it still there?

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
================================================== ===========
Welcome to the Dance:.....Del Rancho in Moore is Thriving as they have a new owner that wants to attempt to bring the franchise alive and well...

Del Rancho at 32 and Western also has a new owner, and have cleaned up the place

RealJimbo
11-02-2009, 09:12 AM
CAPTAIN D'S, not a bad fast food seafood joint like long johns
PIZZA INN, I thought I saw one way up on the northwest side, not sure, but they used to be all over the place like pizza hut
DUNKIN DONUTS, I know they are no longer in Oklahoma but down here in Florida they are flourishing, everybodys loves their coffee here
WINCHELLS DONUTS, last time I was there I didn't see it

I got more coming, surprised you guys haven't thought of these yet

Some of these places are indeed still around. Langstons, Captain D's, Pizza Inn, Dunkin Donuts. Still alive and well. The Del Ranchos are not as numerous, but you'll be glad to know that the last time I was on Lindsey in Norman, that one was still doing business, as well as the Classic 50's Drive-In(you didn't mention it but you were thinking about it, weren't you?).