View Full Version : What businesses do you miss?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

skyrick
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute!!

My wife and I had our first date there on the eve of my 30th birthday. She told the waitress it was my birthday so she brought out a cupcake with a candle, sat on my lap while singing Happy Birthday and tonguing me in the ear ( the waitress, not my future wife). Then the waitress told me to make a wish and blow out the candle. After I did she grabbed my hand and said "stick your finger out like you're pointing at something" I did and then she jammed it into the cupcake, told my girlfriend/future Mrs N to open her mouth, she did, then the waitress stuck my cake and frosting covered finger into her mouth, said "now close your mouth." She did and the waitress pulled my finger out of my gf's mouth and whispered in my ear, "Now you can tell your friends that on your birthday you got to stick it in, pull it out and have it sucked off."

A great icebreaker on your first date with someone.

capt_john_97
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh those were the nights and I can imagine so many of the waitresses there saying those exact words...lol

phinzup
06-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I haven't looked at ALL twenty something pages here to see if these have been mentioned, but.......how about the basement at Katz's drugstore? The movie theaters downtown, like the Criterion....with the velvet drapes and the spiral staircase to the balcony.

Veazey drug stores...I lied about my age at 14 to get a job at the Veazey's on 16th and Indiana. Told em I was 16....got a job as a soda jerk. Now there's a term the young ones today haven't heard before.

The elevators in the department stores downtown, with the attendant operator.

Edgemererobin
06-17-2011, 06:16 AM
TG&Y was the best, but I always loved going to Gibsons down on sixth street. Otasco. Anybody remember McMahans Drive In on N.W. 36th? Broke my heart that they dozed it. We would play baseball at the park on 38th and then go by McMahans for a root beer whip.
Shepherd Mall, with the Shepherd Twin theater (saw The Godfather there) and Miller's Sporting Goods. We would ride our ten speeds to the mall and hang out there.

jrajan234
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I know his family. His daugher attended college with me. Extremely nice people. May Houshang RIP.

Chicken In The Rough
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
O'Mealey's

Prunepicker
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
O'Mealey's
N.W. 23rd and N. Walker. Next door to Wolfley's Optical.

OKC4me
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I really C.R. Anthony's also. I still remember the wood panel walls, and they had the tubes running through the store like at a bank. At the cash register, they would send your check in the tube, and it would go to the office for approval. Pretty funny!

OKCisOK4me
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned and I don't really miss them, but...

Texaco. Loved that tenant gas station. Venture. Both of these were on the SE corner of NW 63rd & May a long time ago.

boscorama
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star". My favorite Texaco was at NW 39 & Penn.

Prunepicker
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Texaco. Loved that tenant gas station. Venture. Both of these were
on the SE corner of NW 63rd & May a long time ago.
The other, SW corner, was a DX that had been there since the 50's.
Can't remember the name. Harris?

Remember when DX had 5 grades of gasoline? I remember putting
the highest grade in my Renault Dauphine. It ran like a bat for about
50 miles then the points burned up. I paid about $0.35 per gallon
for that gas, which means I only put a dollars worth in the tank.
Paying that much for 3 gallons was outrageous.

OKCisOK4me
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
That DX was lastly a Sinclair. I remember the dinosaur ;-)

ctchandler
02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
OKCisOK4me,
The owner also was one of the last in OKC to offer full service. And yes, it was a Sinclair.
C. T.

That DX was lastly a Sinclair. I remember the dinosaur ;-)

Prunepicker
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
OKCisOK4me,
The owner also was one of the last in OKC to offer full service. And
yes, it was a Sinclair.
C. T.
I thought Jack's, at N.W. Expressway & N. Independence, was
providing it after the Sinclair closed. But that's only because that's
what I think I remember LOL! The station on Avondale, Texaco (?)
provided full service, too, while most had given it up.

ctchandler
02-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Prunepicker,
That's why I said "one of the last", I worked on Independence just South of the Texaco for four years but wasn't there when he closed, so I wasn't sure. I think even my mother's favorite on Southwest 36th and Blackwelder (full service Sinclair) was still open.
C. T.

I thought Jack's, at N.W. Expressway & N. Independence, was
providing it after the Sinclair closed. But that's only because that's
what I think I remember LOL! The station on Avondale, Texaco (?)
provided full service, too, while most had given it up.

Okcbld
02-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Campbell's Hobby House in Springdale Shopping center at NW 50th and Meridian, bought many a Matchbox there years ago.

Irish
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
The big book store on north May ave. I can't remember the name. I don't think it lasted too long,but I enjoyed going there.

Jim Kyle
12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
The big book store on north May ave. I can't remember the name. I don't think it lasted too long,but I enjoyed going there.That may have been Basinger's, if it was on the west side of May a few blocks south of Hefner. They started out in Northpark Mall but built their own building as they expanded. Then B&N and Borders came to town, and locally-owned book stores found it difficult to complete. I think only Full Circle remains...

zookeeper
12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
That may have been Basinger's, if it was on the west side of May a few blocks south of Hefner. They started out in Northpark Mall but built their own building as they expanded. Then B&N and Borders came to town, and locally-owned book stores found it difficult to complete. I think only Full Circle remains...

Jim, That was actually called Bollinger's and I still miss that store.

jmpokc1957
12-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Campbell's Hobby House in Springdale Shopping center at NW 50th and Meridian, bought many a Matchbox there years ago.

I well remember Campbell's Hobby Shop. This was late 60's and early 70's for me; Model airplanes, Estes rockets, model car kits, they had it all. A great place.

boscorama
12-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Anyone remember a place called Starwind, first on Classen and later up N Penn somewhere? Was a fun place to visit.

Prunepicker
12-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I miss the slot car tracks. After I saved enough money to buy a Cox La
Cucaracha and hand controller the tracks dried up. I never got to run my Cuc.
Talk about a major let down.

zookeeper
12-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Anyone remember a place called Starwind, first on Classen and later up N Penn somewhere? Was a fun place to visit.

Incense, wind chimes, the ambient music, I remember it well. I agree it was a fun place to look around.

Prunepicker
12-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Abextra on 6th and N. Classen.

Irish
12-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Before ot was called Starwind it was called House Of Shadows. I don't remember where they were located,maybe close to downtown. They moved in the mid 70s to 30th and Classen and changed the name to Starwind.

ctchandler
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Prunepicker,
Del City, S. E. 29th between Sunnylane and Sooner, on the North side of the street.
C. T.
I miss the slot car tracks. After I saved enough money to buy a Cox La
Cucaracha and hand controller the tracks dried up. I never got to run my Cuc.
Talk about a major let down.

SoonerBoy18
12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Stage (Clothing store)

Prunepicker
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Prunepicker,
Del City, S. E. 29th between Sunnylane and Sooner, on the North side of the
street.
C. T.
Thanks, unfortunately no longer have the slot car. Maybe they rent them.

boscorama
12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Before ot was called Starwind it was called House Of Shadows. I don't remember where they were located,maybe close to downtown. They moved in the mid 70s to 30th and Classen and changed the name to Starwind.

I don't know how they could've been at the Classen location any time during the 70's. Not that I was so 'with it' as to be aware of such things.

In the 80's there was a tiny club called Second Fret which would have been like next door. Are you saying Starwind or House of Shadows was there, then? I never noticed it till 1989 (possibly because of break-time actitivies at the Second Fret :cool: )

ctchandler
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Prunepicker,
What? You don't keep totally worthless junk around just in case? I wish I could say the same, although, I don't have my slot car any longer.
C. T.
Thanks, unfortunately no longer have the slot car. Maybe they rent them.

Prunepicker
12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Prunepicker,
What? You don't keep totally worthless junk around just in case? I wish I
could say the same, although, I don't have my slot car any longer.
C. T.
LOL!
I don't know what happened to it. :(

RadicalModerate
12-30-2012, 09:04 AM
The mention of Bollinger's--formerly my favorite bookstore--somehow reminded me of another old business that used to be upstairs in the Iglesia Building on Western. I seem to recall that they were mostly a music store and they had a big focus on all things "Celtic" including jewelry, greeting cards, books, posters, etc. I think the couple who ran the place packed everything up and moved back East somewhere. I hated to see the place go . . .

boscorama
12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
The mention of Bollinger's--formerly my favorite bookstore--somehow reminded me of another old business that used to be upstairs in the Iglesia Building on Western. I seem to recall that they were mostly a music store and they had a big focus on all things "Celtic" including jewelry, greeting cards, books, posters, etc. I think the couple who ran the place packed everything up and moved back East somewhere. I hated to see the place go . . .

My ears are perked up ... but where is the Iglesia Building?

Prunepicker
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
My ears are perked up... but where is the Iglesia Building?
It's on about N.W. 48th and N. Western on the west side of the
street.

Lee Burns, a music professor at OU, had a fantastic record store that was
Classical oriented until he and his wife moved to Boston.

boscorama
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
The building with The Earth? Was it once a church? If I ever went upstairs, it was only once. But thanks for the wake-up!

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 11:42 PM
It's on about N.W. 48th and N. Western on the west side of the
street.

Lee Burns, a music professor at OU, had a fantastic record store that was
Classical oriented until he and his wife moved to Boston.

I remember Lee from when I was in the OU band in the 60's. He was a good guy.

cinders8709
12-31-2012, 04:53 AM
Harold Shoe Store was in the shopping center at 23rd and Meridian...that was the only place I got my shoes as a kid.

Prunepicker
12-31-2012, 10:32 PM
The building with The Earth? Was it once a church? If I ever went upstairs,
it was only once. But thanks for the wake-up!
I don't believe it was a church, but it's quite possible. I don't ever remember
it being such and I frequented the area in the 60's. There was a place called
Head Quarters in that section of town. It was similar to Mother's and
Abextra.

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 12:18 AM
From an old news item archived online:
Originally home to Northside Church of Christ, the building was constructed by church members in 1948 and valued at $50,000.

So what was the name of the music store when your friend Lee Burns and his wife owned it?
(I used to love browsing in there and occasionally buying something . . . =)

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
. . . it seemed to be the only place in town where you could buy cards along these lines
http://i2.cpcache.com/product/181798115/celtic_christmas_knot_greeting_cards_pk_of_10.jpg? side=f

. . . or '80's versions of music like this (like, on cassette =):
9QvoMIfvWaw

(what WAS the name of that place? . . . dang.)

Prunepicker
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
So what was the name of the music store when your friend Lee Burns and
his wife owned it?
It was the Music Gallery!

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Thank You, Sir!
(that question really would have bugged me for at least a couple of days =)
(dang. all this just reminded me of that long-gone, dearly departed store upstairs in Penn Square with the NewAgeTraceMusic and fountains and greenery and stuff . . . =)
(i think it was across "the mall ravine" from Successories and fairly close to The Frankiln Quest location . . . =)