View Full Version : Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Pages : [1] 2

dclokc
10-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I emailed Dave & Busters and they said that they are putting a D&B in Tulsa then after that they are going to put one in OKC. I am so excited. They are looking at locations now. WOO HOO!:Smiley199

metro
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Can you please post the email from them?

Tex
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Tulsa first?! &$%@!#

Matt
10-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Ain't that just a kick in the nuts.

Oh well. If it's any consolation, I bet we'll get a Dave & Busters before they get their own NBA team.

Rescue_Company_One
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
The Tulsa Location is scheduled to open in January. Hopefully OKC isnt far behind.

Dave and Busters continues to climb, 7th August 2008 // InterGame Magazine // InterGame Online (http://www.intergameonline.com/intergame/news/1611/dave-and-busters-continues-to-climb/)

dclokc
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Here is the email response I got...so I hope this helps....and heck, why not email him some more and see if we can get them to speed it up a lil....lol (JUST KIDDING) lets not bug them too much.

Jeff Wood <Jeff_Wood@daveandbusters.com>

Thanks.

We are opening in Tulsa in early 2009 and looking in OKC.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 07/05/2008 06:43 PM AST
To: Jeff Wood
Subject: Oklahoma City New Location?

Hello
I am sending you this email as a request for consideration for a Dave and
Busters location to be built in Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City is a MAJOR
thriving market (and close to D&B World HDQ too) that could be very profitable.
We have a area in OKC called Bricktown that has a canal that runs through it
(kinda like the Riverwalk in San Antonio) and even on a slow evening, Bricktown
is very busy. As you may have heard, Oklahoma City will have a NBA franchise
this up coming 2008-2009 season permanently, and I could ONLY imagine how busy
one of your locations would be before and after a game.

I am in my late 30's and I can tell you from knowing people in my age group, we
are all desiring a great place like D&B to open in OKC. I honestly think that
a location in Bricktown would be a perfect fit for both OKC and D&B.

PLEASE consider this and come up and check out OKC and Bricktown and give us a
shot, I promise you wont be disappointed.

Thank you
David

edcrunk
10-27-2008, 07:45 PM
i miss having a D&B close by.

Tex
10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
We are opening in Tulsa in early 2009 and looking in OKC.

Does that sound promising to you? Are they looking for land or a vacant building? Or looking into the possibility of coming to OKC?

Mr. T in OKC
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
That does not sound promising at all to me. I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully a local entrepreneur will open up something more unique. Something that Tulsa and several other cities don't already have.

mOKCie
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't understand why anybody would care if we have a Dave & Busters at all . Even if I was convinced we need a Dave and Busters, why would it matter if we got one before Tulsa? What do we win? Bragging rights? To what? I would rather be talking about both cities accomplishments and which local businesses are prospering. Some day I hope we are past needing national chains to move in to legitimize our existence. This is the Hard Rock Cafe thread recycled. Instead of a different thread for each national chain we want, lets just consolidate them into one thread. We can make a list of all the chains we need. As we get them, we can mark them off the list. We can entitle the thread "Countdown to Legitimacy."

Kerry
10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
mOKCie - it is just possible that some people want a D&B because they enjoy the entertainment it provides. Like with Hard Rock Cafe, I kind of like the motif despite the average food. However, I am not a big fan of D&B. It doesn't make people that like D&B wrong, it just makes them/me different. Maybe we need more local establishments like Chicago and NYC, then we can be “real” legitimate and not “fake” legitimate (whatever that means).

edcrunk
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't understand why anybody would care if we have a Dave & Busters at all . Even if I was convinced we need a Dave and Busters, why would it matter if we got one before Tulsa? What do we win? Bragging rights? To what? I would rather be talking about both cities accomplishments and which local businesses are prospering. Some day I hope we are past needing national chains to move in to legitimize our existence. This is the Hard Rock Cafe thread recycled. Instead of a different thread for each national chain we want, lets just consolidate them into one thread. We can make a list of all the chains we need. As we get them, we can mark them off the list. We can entitle the thread "Countdown to Legitimacy."

whatevs... i just want that entertainment option. has nothing to do with feeling like a legitimate city. okc kicks ass...

Midtowner
10-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Would this be an impossible concept for some individual who is not D&B to undertake? I really don't see this mixing well with Bricktown as Bricktown doesn't want to attract a lot of high school kids. I think one of these would do very well in Edmond or Moore.

Kerry
10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
high school kids? Not unless those high school kids are 21. I take it you have never been to a Dave and Busters. I know you don't have to be 21 to go to D&B but a bunch of high scool kids will be bored out of their minds in 5 minutes. Well, bored or broke. That place isn't cheap. I know the one in Jacksonville doesn't allow anyone under 21 after a certain time of day.

bretthexum
10-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I've been to a few around the country. Def each one had its own crowds. There were quite a few high school kids at Dallas last time I was there around 7 or 8 pm.

southernskye
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Does the one in Dallas have liquor? We used to go to the one in Austin and never saw kids there.

dclokc
10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
The Dallas Metroplex stores ALL sell liquor... Have happy hour and drink specials all the time. I can't wait to get one here. :ou

jbrown84
10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
whatevs... i just want that entertainment option. has nothing to do with feeling like a legitimate city. okc kicks ass...

Exactly.

Doug Loudenback
10-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Not being familiar with the chain, I just googled a little to see what you guys were talking about. Not being a gamer it probably wouldn't be my own cup of tea but for those inclined it might well be ... is it designed for the 18-29 + or - a few years?

Quick reference: Dave & Buster's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_and_Busters)

kevinpate
10-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Still strikes me like Chucky Cheese and Chili's had a baby :)
But hey, if folks want it, bring it on. Might free up a table earlier at some place I'd rather be.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-29-2008, 05:19 AM
I've been to a few around the country. Def each one had its own crowds. There were quite a few high school kids at Dallas last time I was there around 7 or 8 pm.

Yup...The one in Denver, I rarely saw anybody that looked under 25, most were over 30. The Denver Broncos partied there all the time. They'd rent out rooms at least once a month.

They also had a beer selection to rival Tapwerks, only most of it was bottled instead of tap...Which I prefer anyway, as beer goes stanky pretty fast when nobody drinks any out of that particular keg for a week or so.

If a D&B went in here, they'd get my money for sure.

betts
10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm in favor of anything (well, almost anything!) that brings people to downtown, that makes downtown people's favorite leisure time location. I'm not sure I'd go to Dave and Busters much, but if other people would enjoy it, I'm all for it. We've got quite a few buildings in Bricktown that would serve very nicely. Just don't put it in Edmond!

southernskye
10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Still strikes me like Chucky Cheese and Chili's had a baby :)
But hey, if folks want it, bring it on. Might free up a table earlier at some place I'd rather be.

lol My description of Dave and Busters is, its a Chucky Cheese for grown ups.

Their food is better than a lot of places I've tried here.

Midtowner
10-29-2008, 07:56 AM
high school kids? Not unless those high school kids are 21. I take it you have never been to a Dave and Busters. I know you don't have to be 21 to go to D&B but a bunch of high scool kids will be bored out of their minds in 5 minutes. Well, bored or broke. That place isn't cheap. I know the one in Jacksonville doesn't allow anyone under 21 after a certain time of day.

The last time I was there was with a friend of mine who lives in some suburb of Dallas whose name escapes me at the moment (the town, not the friend). I recall there being kiddos around, but this was a few years ago and I could be mistaken.

Richard at Remax
10-29-2008, 08:39 AM
In the past few months I have been to the one in Houston and in Dallas and I was underwhelmed both times. The food was ok. Prices were high. But the one thing that really got to me was that there was more kids than adults at both places. I understand that if you are under 21 you have a to have a legal guardian with you, but after 9 or 10 those kids should have to leave. It was ridiculous.

onthestrip
10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Those of you that say D&B probably wouldnt be your cup of tea should try it out. The couple times that Ive been to one have been alot of fun. Booze and arcade games of all types? Sounds cool to me, though I would prefer an ESPN Zone.

Having more local/independant establishments is great and all, but you have to have the nationally recognized establishments for out of towners and tourists to go to. Otherwise they might not know what was out there and not go spend their money. There is definitely room for both local and big chains.

jbrown84
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
This just isn't the kind of place that I see anyone local pulling off.

Luke
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
ESPN Zone seems like a concept that would really fly in Bricktown.

Kerry
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Not being familiar with the chain, I just googled a little to see what you guys were talking about. Not being a gamer it probably wouldn't be my own cup of tea but for those inclined it might well be ... is it designed for the 18-29 + or - a few years?

Doug - it isn't just video games. If you like playing pool or shuffelboard it is a great place.

Turanacus
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Tex, Tulsa is a perfect test market for all restaurants, always has been.

They'll get cool stuff before we do.

the Dave and Busters will blow nut soup because they'll put it in the EXTREME North, I'll never make it up there.

The Blue Domed Mexican Joint (4 years in the making) is taking over my part of town.

BB37
10-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Those of you that say D&B probably wouldnt be your cup of tea should try it out. The couple times that Ive been to one have been alot of fun. Booze and arcade games of all types? Sounds cool to me, though I would prefer an ESPN Zone.

Sounds kinda like Jillian's in Boston. Visited it during a meeting there in '95. It was quite a place.

PapaJack
11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Went to the D&B in Providence, RI. It was full of twenty something couples and families with kids. Not many if any teenagers in groups. That D&B is in a mall, so all of the teens hung out at the cinema and the mall. I had a lot of fun and could easily have spent a lot of money.

Centerback
01-19-2009, 09:19 AM
I went to the D&B in Tulsa this weekend with my 9 y/o son and was pretty underwhelmed. It is much smaller than the ones I've been to in Dallas and Denver. It looks very nice but is quite small. It was 1/3 restaurant and 2/3 games. My biggest frustration was that nearly half the games were the try your luck to get some tickets to buy some crap style. No pool tables, no shuffle board, 1 air hockey, 4 pop a shot, 4 skeeball and a pretty cool 4 car linked nascar motion game. There were other games as well but the restaurant and alcohol were about the only things that set it apart from incredible pizza. I hope that if they do come to OKC that they occupy a 2 story space in bricktown and fashion it more like the larger markets they are in currently.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-19-2009, 04:02 PM
No pool tables?

WTF? THat was the best part about the one in Denver. Best tables in town.

venture
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Sounds like they didn't want to throw too much money at a market that may not work for their typical model.

Decious
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
The Omaha location doesn't have any pool tables either. If they're thinking about giving us the same setup they can keep it.

jbrown84
01-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Where is the Tulsa D&B? The address on their website is clearly wrong (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=6812+EAST+105TH+STREET,+tulsa,+ok&sll=35.493138,-97.459141&sspn=0.526627,0.878906&g=Oklahoma+City,+OK&ie=UTF8&ll=36.015019,-95.898714&spn=0.008175,0.013733&z=16&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=36.012659,-95.898707&panoid=3ggHu_ZIXoaL74A_GtaqtA&cbp=12,160.51159237597517,,0,5).

Flatlander
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Could be 6812 south 105th E. Avenue

warreng88
01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Where is the Tulsa D&B? The address on their website is clearly wrong (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=6812+EAST+105TH+STREET,+tulsa,+ok&sll=35.493138,-97.459141&sspn=0.526627,0.878906&g=Oklahoma+City,+OK&ie=UTF8&ll=36.015019,-95.898714&spn=0.008175,0.013733&z=16&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=36.012659,-95.898707&panoid=3ggHu_ZIXoaL74A_GtaqtA&cbp=12,160.51159237597517,,0,5).

If you are familiar with the area, it is right off of highway 169 and 71st street. It is between Mathis Brothers and Best Buy on the north side of the street.

sgt. pepper
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
highway 169 and 71st street.
that is the worst street in oklahoma to get in and out of...very, very busy. that's good for business i guess.

BDP
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Having more local/independant establishments is great and all, but you have to have the nationally recognized establishments for out of towners and tourists to go to.

I agree with that, except exactly the opposite. You want more unique and different restraurants for tourists, so that you actually give them a reason to visit. Why travel if you're just going to the same places you have at home, especially to a city like Oklahoma City that doesn't have the built in attractions like mountains and beaches.

And really, OKC is a great example of how there isn't a whole lot of room for both local and chain restaurants. We get so many chains here and they are so well supported that we have a very small and limited mix of locally owned restaurants for a city of our size. Every dollar that goes to a chain is one that does not go to a local business and the profits go out of state. This not only has an economic impact, but it also creates a barrier to entry for local businesses that have more interest in creating a community that is unqiue and interesting to visit for out of towners. National Chains, for the most part, not only take the money out of the community, they take its identity as well.

I am not sure if it's the need for validiation by a chain, a lack of a sense of community, or general lack of imgaination, but Oklahoma City's culture in general does seem less interested in supporting its locally owned and unqiue establishments than a lot of cities I have either lived in or visited. Personally, I hope all of these chains go to Tulsa first and never come here, so we can continue to grow our small, but often pretty good, local restaurant mix.

As for D&B, I would be willing to bet that it ends up on Memorial if it comes here. It's has the demographic and room for new cookie cutter construction. And we have some locals doing sports bars downtown in the near future. D&B, even on Memorial, will only hurt their chances of success.

okclee
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
There is a rumor that Dave & Busters will be built in Moore off of I-35 near the Warren Theater. This puts it near Norman for the OU students and Moore is a hot spot right now for corporate type franchise locations.

stlokc
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, BDP. That is an exceptional post and I could not agree more. Reminds me of the episode of "The Office" where Michael goes to Times Square, you see him at a booth in a restaurant and he is saying "I just love all the fabulous, unique Italian food in New York." And the camera pans out and he is sitting at a Sbarro.

I think OKC will eventually get a Dave & Busters, and I guess that's fine, but I don't understand why people are so fired up about the possibility. Just another chain bar with some video games and pool tables. Yawn. I don't know one person here in St. Louis that ever goes to Dave & Busters except sort of "by accident" - just the businesspeople in the office parks around there going to lunch with their colleagues or having a quick after work drink.

Matt
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Reminds me of the episode of "The Office" where Michael goes to Times Square, you see him at a booth in a restaurant and he is saying "I just love all the fabulous, unique Italian food in New York." And the camera pans out and he is sitting at a Sbarro.

Close.

"The meeting isn't until three, but I always like to come a little early. This is where I do my haunts. Oh, look! [points to a Sbarro's] My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!"

OKCMallen
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
No pool tables, no shuffle board, 1 air hockey, 4 pop a shot, 4 skeeball and a pretty cool 4 car linked nascar motion game. There were other games as well but the restaurant and alcohol were about the only things that set it apart from incredible pizza.

Like someone else said: if this is the model OKC would get, they can keep it.

stlokc
01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Matt. That is the scene I was thinking of - it's been awhile since I've seen that episode...

Matt
01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
No problem. Hope I didn't come of as a pedantic bastard, but I love that little scene. "I'm gonna go get me a New York slice!" cracks me up, every time.

Jesseda
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
this is news to me if it is going in moore.. good location though, but it would go nicely with any alligator and heyday

onthestrip
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM
No, please not in Moore. Im not sure what the animosity towards DnB is. Is it the grand daddy of entertainment? No, but there isnt a concept like this anywhere in the city. Yes, in a perfect OKC every business would be owned by a local, but seriously, what local could or would be able to open something similar. I dont see how this would be a detriment to OKC.

venture
01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Moore next to the Warren would definitely be great for us in Norman. While UNP would be a more preferred spot, I won't argue with it going next to my favorite theater. Needless to say, I can say why some would be worried because it is just one less attraction in Bricktown. If others are like me, they are finding themselves driving north of I-240 less and less. I haven't been into the City now for about 4 months when I had to go to the airport. No need or reason.

dismayed
01-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd love to see a D&B. I'd really hope it would be one of their larger models though... pool tables are a must!

Jesseda
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Im with you venture, there really is no need to go to okc anymore, unless for disneystore, which I think the unp ouside mall area will get one. OH one thing what about a good meat market is there one in norman?

so1rfan
01-22-2009, 08:56 AM
One aspect about Dave and Busters is their corporate outings. I went to a "team building" dinner in Atlanta and we went to D&B. They had a buffet lined up in a seperate room. We ate and played the games, the usual rah rah stuff.

stlokc
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
No, please not in Moore. Im not sure what the animosity towards DnB is. Is it the grand daddy of entertainment? No, but there isnt a concept like this anywhere in the city. Yes, in a perfect OKC every business would be owned by a local, but seriously, what local could or would be able to open something similar. I dont see how this would be a detriment to OKC.

I don't think anyone is saying it is a detriment. I'm certainly not against this concept - or any concept - coming to OKC. It's fine.

I'm also not 100% anti-chain. There are some great chains of all types that don't exist in OKC and should - Maggiano's, Mccormick Schmick, Brio, Brooks Brothers, Mark Shale, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Crate and Barrel, REI, on and on and on.

I just think OKC has an abundance of fried bar food-homoginized-sports on a hundred different TVs-employees-with-pieces-of-flair type of places. The pool tables and arcade games are fine, if that's your thing. Again, bring it on. There's obviously a market. It just doesn't happen to be my thing.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Im with you venture, there really is no need to go to okc anymore, unless for disneystore, which I think the unp ouside mall area will get one. OH one thing what about a good meat market is there one in norman?

If you live in Moore, just shoot up Eastern.

SE 29th and Eastern to be precise. Alex Roger's has some great cuts. It's a small hole in the wall...But I've not found an equal ribeye on the southside.

Stan Silliman
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Dave, I like. Buster, not so much.

Haz3yx5
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
If I remember correctly one of the gentlemen that own Dave and Buster's was the original owner of Slick Willies. I have family that worked for the corporate office in Dallas at one time and remember hearing this. That would explain why the locations with pool tables have the best pool tables. Just my 2 cents.

Jesseda
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
oh gawd the smell thansk, I really like alex rogers, i usually by the weekly meat pack for the family, i havent been in awhile i need to go again they do have the best meat around, and you would never know it with the building looking so old and plain, but hey thats usually how it is, the hidden gems

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
oh gawd the smell thansk, I really like alex rogers, i usually by the weekly meat pack for the family, i havent been in awhile i need to go again they do have the best meat around, and you would never know it with the building looking so old and plain, but hey thats usually how it is, the hidden gems

If you've got dogs, don't forget to buy a bag of bones from them. HUGE bag of massive bones with plenty of marrow and meat on them. Last I remember they were like $5-$10.

Jesseda
01-29-2009, 09:27 AM
If you've got dogs, don't forget to buy a bag of bones from them. HUGE bag of massive bones with plenty of marrow and meat on them. Last I remember they were like $5-$10.

i have a boston terrier lol i will get a bag for her, it will last a long time.