View Full Version : What's one thing that downtown is missing?

ssandedoc
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm just curious with the recent growth of downtown OKC including Bricktown what is one thing you think we're still missing?

jbrown84
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Retail, which will in turn bring more pedestrian traffic.

betts
10-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree, retail. And a really big park:bright_id

ophitke38
10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
A downtown cannot grow "up" if too much space is taken up by parking spaces. A downtown can only grow "up" if people are brought in by means other than private cars. Otherwise, either (a) people have to walk too far from a parking lot to get to their destination, or (b) parking garages have to be as high as the office buildings (they take up an immense amount of space in comparison with a person's workspace) and you'd spend half your time driving around in the parking garage trying to get to a space.

ophitke38
10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Light rail and commuter rail. People have to be able to move in and out of downtown, and around downtown, smoothly. Consider someone flying in to Will Rogers who needs to go downtown; they can take the train, as in St. Louis. Consider people on the west or north side of downtown who want to go to Bricktown for lunch or after work; they can take a trolley, as in Denver. Consider folks moving into the new (and expensive) housing in Deep Deuce. How are they going to get to work or Bricktown, or a Thunder game or the Civic Center? Walk a mile? Drive their car to another parking space, then drive back home? Take a luxurious cab? They can take a trolley, an "Oklahoma version" of Chicago's El or New York City's subways. Can't be stuck in the 19th century forever!

jbrown84
10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh yes, Redbud Park as well. :D

plmccordj
10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
I just returned from San Antonio yesterday on a business trip when I noticed their riverwalk. I noticed they have many large trees along the length of the river allowing visitors to walk in the shade. It was quite warm while I was their and having shade along the river made a lot of difference.

Secondly, I hate to beat a dead horse but it was so pleasing to be able to catch a bus anywhere in town on a regular basis. Oklahoma City leaders claim it will cost $40 million do do the bus system right. Heck, they gave Bass Pro Shop half that.

betts
10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I just returned from San Antonio yesterday on a business trip when I noticed their riverwalk. I noticed they have many large trees along the length of the river allowing visitors to walk in the shade. It was quite warm while I was their and having shade along the river made a lot of difference.

Secondly, I hate to beat a dead horse but it was so pleasing to be able to catch a bus anywhere in town on a regular basis. Oklahoma City leaders claim it will cost $40 million do do the bus system right. Heck, they gave Bass Pro Shop half that.

We're spending half that on a practice facility. I'm all in favor of the practice facility, but we need decent mass transit, and a bus/trolley system is the cheapest, fastest way to improve things while we look into other options. More routes, good covered bus stops and frequent, reliable buses seem to be a manageable option in other cities. It's embarrassing that we basically have nothing that a person who is on a schedule can use.

BDP
10-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Good points. I almost think the bus system we have is more expensive than spending an additional $40 million, as it is more expensive to maintain a system that no one can use than it is to actually get some return on our investment (even is only tangential) with one that works.

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 09:58 AM

San Antonio's riverwalk has about 40 years on ours. In 40 years we'll have huge trees on the canal too.

Midtowner
10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Affordable housing.

southernskye
10-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Good retail.

Pete
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
A critical mass of housing.

Sure, we've added a lot but we still have a long ways to go. Until that happens, meaningful retail is not going to happen.

metro
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
San Antonio's riverwalk has about 40 years on ours. In 40 years we'll have huge trees on the canal too.

Plus, our canal is a canal, there's is an actual river. Let's keep in mind we have the Oklahoma River as well and San Antonio doesn't have. In 40 years we will have some nice mature trees on the Oklahoma River, we already have quite a few in the area.

OKCisOK4me
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Plus, our canal is a canal, there's is an actual river. Let's keep in mind we have the Oklahoma River as well and San Antonio doesn't have. In 40 years we will have some nice mature trees on the Oklahoma River, we already have quite a few in the area.

We just have to get rid of all those boulders that line the river banks. Those wont erode in 40 years.

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Actually their riverwalk is a man-made spur/loop off of the actual river.

metro
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM
but nonetheless more of an actual river or natural water source than the bluegreen koolaid with contrete drainage ditch like ours. Ours is still nice, don't get me wrong, but we can't really compare ours to SA's, totally different. Compare it to Indy's.

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh, theirs is concrete too, they just cover it up better.

taylor83
10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess it falls under "retail", but I would love to see a Walgreen's or CVS type of store downtown.

bluepickle
10-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I think we should do a children's museum. Something like St. Louis' CityMuseum. CITY MUSEUM (http://www.citymuseum.org)

mOKCie
10-24-2008, 02:36 PM
living space (not just rentals)

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
90% of downtown residential is for sale, not rent...

betts
10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
There's supposed to be more affordable housing coming to Maywood. I just hope the economic conditions don't derail the plans.

OKCMallen
10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
UNIQUE retail...or affordable housing, then normal retail will suffice.

The Old Downtown Guy
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Housing . . . affordable housing . . . rental housing . . . affordable rental housing . . . housing, housing and more housing . . . everything comes later. Deep Deuce is just now attracting a little more commercial activity and those apartment have been full for years. There are still acres and acres of vacant land, thousands of square feet of empty or under utilized buildings to add housing to. If we continue at the current pace, we'll have some UNIQUE everything in about ten years.

betts
10-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Make downtown an attractive and fun place to live and recreate, and housing and people will come. A big iconic park will help considerably. Community spaces are what our society needs more of. We spend hours of time alone in our big back yards and in our cars, and all it does is isolate us.

PennyQuilts
10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Me.

Good god, I'm homesick!

Nabber
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
flogging the the ole poor horse again a grocery store. Would love a mom and pop style but will probably be more likely a chain/mass retail type. I.e. wally world or homeland

shane453
10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

P.S.- we didn't give the Bass Pro Shop anything. We built them a building, which the City of OKC currently owns and leases to Bass Pro.

westsidesooner
10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
A nice high rise residential tower. And an eskimo Joes in bricktown, food and retail in one.

supersooner
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
mid-higher end rental housing to get young professionals in. unigue restaurants. Family restaurants. anything for kids.

I personally don't see how a grocery store would be that economical down there. Most people shop close to there house. There aren't many residential units down there. A grocery store in MIdtown would make a heck of a lot more sense than anywhere by bricktown.

A light rail or commuter rail would be nice, but will end up about as useful in OKC as getting a pygmy to come to your house and ride on their back to work or bricktown. Maybe a hot air balloon taxi service.

okcustu
10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
flogging the the ole poor horse again a grocery store. Would love a mom and pop style but will probably be more likely a chain/mass retail type. I.e. wally world or homeland

actually a couple from NYC is going to open a organic market/ cafe iin deep deuce. sage gourmet market & cafe.
"Once open, the market at 228 NE 2 will offer an array of organic eggs, produce, milk, cheeses, vegetables and fruits, baked goods (including Monkey Bread) as well as dressings and spices. The pair also plan to offer prepared meals to go from the cafe."
http://newsok.com/new-organic-cafe-market-will-fill-downtown-niche/article/3314175

Turanacus
11-03-2008, 09:41 AM
The one thing missing from downtown is a TGI Fridays wedged somewhere between the Colcord and the Skirvy. It would be a huge hit.

Matt
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm hoping for a Flingers, myself!

Dave Cook
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
How about a big time hockey team?

Turanacus
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
what's hockey?

wsucougz
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping for a Flingers, myself!

I prefer Chotchkie's.

Nixon7
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Retail, retail, retail!!

Had friends from denver in sun night for thunder. they liked the canal area, just really wished they had little shops, or anything to go walk through, or shop before the game. we went to bass pro for awhile (yuck), and the red dirt emporium was closed. So was the painted door. beyond that, i don't know any other options

metro
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Retail, retail, retail!!

Had friends from denver in sun night for thunder. they liked the canal area, just really wished they had little shops, or anything to go walk through, or shop before the game. we went to bass pro for awhile (yuck), and the red dirt emporium was closed. So was the painted door. beyond that, i don't know any other options

Did you take them to Lit, Firefly or Envy clothing shops? All within easy view and walking distance to Ford Center. However, I agree we NEED and CAN SUPPORT tons more retail down there than is currently offered.

Turanacus
my bad, i thought we were referring to downtown?

jbrown84
Yes but he's responding directly to Nixon about Bricktown.

Turanacus
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
yeah i was too, guess i didn't refresh my browser before replying

Matt
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I prefer Chotchkie's.

Not me. Much nicer uniforms at Flingers.

jbrown84
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
yeah i was too, guess i didn't refresh my browser before replying

Looks like we all posted simultaneously. I edited my original post, which was saying the same thing as Metro.

warreng88
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Not me. Much nicer uniforms at Flingers.

Depends on how much flare they are wearing.

krisb
11-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Make downtown an attractive and fun place to live and recreate, and housing and people will come. A big iconic park will help considerably. Community spaces are what our society needs more of. We spend hours of time alone in our big back yards and in our cars, and all it does is isolate us.

Or posting on discussion boards.