View Full Version : Free practice

SoonerQueen
10-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I think it was nice that they offered the free practice this week, but I couldn't go. Are they going to have any more of them? I hope so, I'd love to go watch them.

betts
10-23-2008, 06:07 AM
They're only required to have one a year by the NBA. I think they might have been more inclined to offer more if more people had gone to it. The fact that there were only 3,000 people there probably doesn't really make the organization think people are dying to go to Thunder practices.

metro
10-23-2008, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't say that betts. They are a new franchise, and honestly, I have not seen much advertising for the team, in fact, none at all other than a few press releases and media articles posted on here. I haven't seen any tv commercials, billboards, print ads, nothing. Being a new franchise, I think they would want to have a few extra open practices to build up fan support to those who are currently not fans as well as provide options to existing fans. Keep in mind it's still preseason too and you know there is not near as much interest compared to the regular season. Hopefully they'll have an open practice during the season and the hype is more active and one would think they'd do a better job of promoting it.

OkieHornet
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
after selling out of season tickets (15,000) and almost guaranteeing a sold-out (or near-sold out) season, i'm not sure how the extra promotion would help them? they seem to be doing fine with what little promotion they've had... but i'm sure it'll pick up once the season actually starts, especially when you get to the games (Atlanta, Toronto, Golden State, etc...) that may need a little bit of a push to sell the remaining tickets...

metro
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
OkieHornet, I've said it all along, its not just about selling tickets the first few honeymoon years, it's about building a long-term big brand as well as starting up a non-existant fan base for a tv market (where the real money is). Yeah, we'll be fine these first few years, but we have to maintain long-term support after the newness wears off as well as build up our very small tv-market.