View Full Version : ESPN: Guthrie Stadium one of the "BEST HIGH SCHOOL STADIUMS" in the Nation

tnajk
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
ESPN has labeled Guthrie's Jelsma Stadium as one of the "Best High School Stadiums" to watch a game across the nation. ESPN RISE, which is dedicated to high school sports, selected Jelsma Stadium as the No. 13 stadium. Jelsma Stadium is the only Oklahoma stadium to be listed.

Street and Smith, a national magazine, recognized Jelsma as a Top 10 stadium several years ago.

ESPN Best high school football stadiums -ESPN Rise FOOTBALL (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=3653316)

Kerry
10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
They shouldn't count staduims that are also the home field of college teams. The list is a sham.

jbrown84
10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
The 19,302-seat home since 1982 of Permian and Odessa high schools, it is the focal point of the book, movie and television series "Friday Night Lights."

Have they SEEN Friday Night Lights the TV series? It has nothing to do with Odessa Permian. It is set in the fictional town of Dillon, TX. You'd think ESPN writers would know that basic fact about arguably the best sports-themed TV show of all time.

John
10-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Have they SEEN Friday Night Lights the TV series? It has nothing to do with Odessa Permian. It is set in the fictional town of Dillon, TX. You'd think ESPN writers would know that basic fact about arguably the best sports-themed TV show of all time.

It is the basis for the book and movie, which inspired the tv show.

jbrown84
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Odessa is not the "focal point" of the television series.

bluedogok
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Nope, it is filmed in and around Austin. The football uniforms are from the Pflugerville Panthers, their home stadium is in Del Valle and some of the school scenes have been shot at the high school near my neighborhood (Austin Crockett). They have been shooting more in South Austin lately, the Chevy dealer and Applebee's are on I-35, Hill's Cafe is used often and tonight had a scene from The Broken Spoke on South Lamar. My wife is a big fan of the show, but she also grew up 30 miles from Odessa in the same era that the book/movie was based. She is watching it right now.

Guthrie's stadium has always had a nice setting and quality about it.

jbrown84
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
It's one of the best shows on television.