View Full Version : Japanese food

SoonerQueen
10-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Does anyone like Japanese food? We have just recently tried it and I love it. We went to Yamata and they cook the food right in front of you. Seems to me it's healthier than most restaurants. We'll go back again.

Dave Cook
10-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Japanese food is sugoku oshii.....but the habachi style (Japanese themed restaurants) are not authentic Japanese food. You will never see a Vietnamese man in a cheap kimono throwing knives and shrimp around in Yokohama.

Go to New Tokyo on North Western for the closest thing to authentic.

FFLady
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
SoonerQueen - have you tried the new one in Edmond, 33rd & Broadway???

metro
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
:LolLolLol
Does anyone like Japanese food? We have just recently tried it and I love it. We went to Yamata and they cook the food right in front of you. Seems to me it's healthier than most restaurants. We'll go back again.

As the other poster said, this isn't really true Japanese food but hibachi style cooking (Japanese Steakhouse). It's Yamato and it's one of the better habachi's in town. There is also Shogun's (the original in OKC) in Northpark Mall and there are others like Shiki (don't care much for) and a few others I can't think of the name.

Benihana's is probably the most famous national chain of hibachi.

Home | Benihana (http://www.benihana.com/)

Anyhow if you like hibachi then you'll probably like Mongolian BBQ. There are several places in the metro that serve it and several Chinese Buffet's in town have a Mongolian BBQ section as well. There are several threads with reviews of Mongolian BBQ, and hibachi if you want suggestions of places to try.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/12792-mongolian-bar-b-q.html

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/13725-genghis-grill-coming.html

rjstone208
10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Technically that style of cooking isn't hibachi but teppanyaki. Hibachi is more like BBQ cooked over open coals with a grill. Toyko on North Western is a traditional Japanese restaurant. You won't find American style teppanyaki in Japan but the last time I was there I saw more do-it-yourself teppanyaki places or maybe you'd call it do-it-yourself Mongolian BBQ places. Great opportunities to eat and drink way too much.

jsibelius
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Geez. Come in here and rave about good food and go out feeling like a fool. Well...at least you're getting an education about Japanese food. Maybe. If anyone here really knew their Japanese food types... Maybe you should visit several restaurants and sample. Ask lots of questions. Sounds yummy.

metro
10-22-2008, 03:30 PM
rjstone, I'll have to try Tokyo on N. Western. I've heard nothing but good about that place.

Dave Cook
10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
RJ....

I think you're thinking of yakiniku places....if you're referring to 'cook-it-yourself' type gigs in Japan.

Some of the Korean places in town have some decent yakiniku type setups.

SoonerQueen
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I hadn't even eaten Japanese until two weeks ago and have been twice now. I'm not sure exactly what kind of Japanese it is, but it sure tasted good and it was fun to watch them cook it right at the table. I haven't been to the new one in Edmond FFLady, but I'm sure willing to try it. I hear Yamato is the best for the price and they give you more food than you can eat. I sure did enjoy it.

rjstone208
10-22-2008, 08:43 PM
RJ....

I think you're thinking of yakiniku places....if you're referring to 'cook-it-yourself' type gigs in Japan.

Some of the Korean places in town have some decent yakiniku type setups.

Yeah, the yakiniku places all over. The best Korean is Korea House on S.E. 29th in Del City. I've been privileged and benefited from serving over 20 years in the Army and worked or lived in many countries on the planet including most in Asia and almost all of Europe so have eaten pretty much every kind of cuisine. Spent two tours in Korea and four years in Japan plus many TDY trips to both. Like them all.

kevinpate
10-23-2008, 05:32 AM
If slice it, dice it, toss it, heat it, slap a knife or three together is an enjoyable form of dinner/theater for you, as it sometimes is for moi, I'm fond of Shogun's in Northpark. that said, I haven't heard bad on any of the others in the metro area. I've yet to try Sake in Norman, not sure why, just haven't thus far.

metro
10-23-2008, 07:56 AM
I hadn't even eaten Japanese until two weeks ago and have been twice now. I'm not sure exactly what kind of Japanese it is, but it sure tasted good and it was fun to watch them cook it right at the table. I haven't been to the new one in Edmond FFLady, but I'm sure willing to try it. I hear Yamato is the best for the price and they give you more food than you can eat. I sure did enjoy it.

Yamato is probably the best for the money. Shoguns is pretty good too but more expensive. Shiki isn't worth your time or money. If you're ever in Athen's, GA they have one called Inoko and it is amazing. Also Bennihana's is pretty darn good for a chain. But again, remember this isn't true Japanese food, but Japanese-American steakhouse. I still recommend trying Mongolian BBQ (link above), I think it will be another new experience for you that you will enjoy, very similar to this cuisine.

Martin
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
might've been just a bad night, but we went to shogun about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't as good as it usually is. the chef came across as pretty unskilled overall, burnt some of the food and almost sent a flaming piece of food into the lap of one member of our party. pretty much every other time we've been to shogun we've been pleased but they came up short on our last visit.

-M

citizenkane
10-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Tokyo is hands down the best Japanese restaurant in the metro area.