View Full Version : Home-based call center plans to employ 1,000 in Oklahoma

metro
10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Company plans to employ 1,000 in Oklahoma
Expansion Officials call state good match for clients
Oklahoman
DEBBIE BLOSSOM
October 15, 2008

A Denver-based company that provides home-based contact center workers for other companies is expanding into Oklahoma and plans to hire 1,000 people by the end of this year.

Alpine Access creates contact center programs for companies that need home-based workers to answer calls from retailers that sell through catalogs and Web sites, financial service businesses, and the Internal Revenue Service.

Demand for more employees is coming from Alpine’s growing client base, company spokeswoman Cori Pope said.

And since Alpine started 10 years ago, "we’ve been slowing expanding into more states, and one of the places where we’ve received a lot of interest for these jobs is Oklahoma,” Pope said.

Why come here?
Oklahoma also has a large pool of qualified people, Pope said, adding that was behind Alpine’s interest in recruiting in the state. So far, the company has received 830 applications and hired 20 people.
Alpine’s business model allows the company to match employees to the best client program for their skills and background. Alpine’s clients include Office Depot, J.Crew, ExpressJet and 1-800-Flowers.

"We are excited that so many companies are recognizing the quality and value that our home-based contract center model provides,” Christopher Carrington, Alpine’s chief executive officer, said in a statement.

"With reports of its strong economic health despite a declining national economy, Oklahoma and its residents are perfectly matched to meet the needs of our clients.”

How to apply
Potential employees for part-time and full-time positions can apply online at Alpine Access - Customer Care, Call Center, Work at Home (http://www.alpineaccess.com).
Interviews and training are all completed online, Pope said. Employees must have a working computer, high-speed Internet access and a phone with a corded headset.

Starting pay for call center positions range from $8 to $14 an hour depending on the client program, she said.

All hires are considered employees of Alpine, not contract workers.

lasomeday
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
YAY! Another call center that pays $8-14/hr. We are really doing great now! Brad Henry is doing a great job as governor! LOL!

hipsterdoofus
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
This would be nice if you could do it part time and make up your own schedule...nice for stay at home moms and such maybe...

grandshoemaster
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
It's amazing how people can take a 1,000 new jobs and make it a negative thing.

Platemaker
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
YAY! Another call center that pays $8-14/hr. We are really doing great now! Brad Henry is doing a great job as governor! LOL!

You said it buddy.

Luke
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
It's amazing how people can take a 1,000 new jobs and make it a negative thing.

Beat me to it.

hoya
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
It's not negative, but it is also not exactly the type of new business we want to add to this city. I've had worse jobs, and it's certainly better than working at McDonalds, but to really see this city become the place we all believe it can be, we need to add a different kind of job.

That said, for a stay-at-home mom who would like a little extra income, this might be perfect.

wsucougz
10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
This is one of the many ways that the global village will benefit the midwest. Call Center jobs, while not great, are a sign of the bigger picture of things. Take for instance myself: I'm a systems admin who works virtually on servers all over the country from right here in OKC. My counterparts in LA make at least 35% more than I do performing the exact same job, but my quality of life is still better - a win-win for me and my employer. With the lower cost of wages, property, and power and affordable access to high-speed networks and associated technologies, businesses are discovering cost-savings in placing workers, data-centers and distribution centers out here(Think Google, Perimeter). And let's not forget the management structure and other higher-paid positions that come along with lower paid jobs such as customer service. Once these businesses get their feet wet and establish a presence, it makes it too easy for them to add different types of often higher paying jobs to the local workforce: see Dell, Farmers Insurance.

Further, we're at the point now where anyone with a PC and broadband connection can start a business with practically no capital. Would you rather do that from a $500/month apartment or a $2000 one? Surely we'll continue to reap the benefits of these trends going forward.

stlokc
10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Am I missing something, or does this article not reference where in the state this business is locating? Oklahoma City? Tulsa? A rural area? This may not be such a big deal in OKC, but it could be a huge announcement for a place like Lawton or Enid.

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I think it's clear it can be anywhere in the state, given the nature of it. Perhaps the only requirement is coming to OKC for training or something?

Kerry
10-16-2008, 01:50 PM
This is one of the many ways that the global village will benefit the midwest. Call Center jobs, while not great, are a sign of the bigger picture of things. Take for instance myself: I'm a systems admin who works virtually on servers all over the country from right here in OKC. My counterparts in LA make at least 35% more than I do performing the exact same job, but my quality of life is still better - a win-win for me and my employer. With the lower cost of wages, property, and power and affordable access to high-speed networks and associated technologies, businesses are discovering cost-savings in placing workers, data-centers and distribution centers out here(Think Google, Perimeter). And let's not forget the management structure and other higher-paid positions that come along with lower paid jobs such as customer service. Once these businesses get their feet wet and establish a presence, it makes it too easy for them to add different types of often higher paying jobs to the local workforce: see Dell, Farmers Insurance.

Further, we're at the point now where anyone with a PC and broadband connection can start a business with practically no capital. Would you rather do that from a $500/month apartment or a $2000 one? Surely we'll continue to reap the benefits of these trends going forward.

So Oklahoma is the domestic version of India and Guatamala. I understand what you mean but when it comes down to it that is what is really being said. Keep in mind that people are not flocking to India to work in call-centers. Indian workers are flocking to America for higher paying jobs. Oklahoma in general has been pushing this "low cost of living" for long long time - it isn't working.

metro
10-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Am I missing something, or does this article not reference where in the state this business is locating? Oklahoma City? Tulsa? A rural area? This may not be such a big deal in OKC, but it could be a huge announcement for a place like Lawton or Enid.

HOME BASED Business. You operate out of your home so you can probably live anywhere in Oklahoma as long as you have high speed internet and a phone.

stlokc
10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
If you can live anywhere in Oklahoma, why can't you live anywhere in the country? if there is no HQ operation, then how is this different than any of a thousand other "Work From Home" opportunities that abound on-line? I'm always happy for people to have job opportunities, but this is hardly the exciting news it seemed at first blush - 1000 New Oklahoma Jobs. Sorry to be cynical.

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm just guessing, but maybe there will be a training center or something in OKC.

metro
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Either that, or because of tax law, call center benefits (could be big since we have tons of them?), or other various reasons.

progressiveboy
10-16-2008, 05:30 PM
I hate to sound cynical as well, however, we really need more skilled, higher paying jobs. I just do not understand why OKC or Oklahoma for that matter cannot attract any Fortune 500 companies? I really belive a big part of the problem lies with the leadership and government of this State. I have discussed this issue in previous threads but I am not able to get any answers. Look what's happening to OKC oil companies. Did this State not learn from it's near catastrophic collapse back in the 80's? Is the problem lie that OKC is to close to Dallas and Kansas City which have a much higher concentration of HQ's. I never hear from executives that they wish to relocate to OKC its always Dallas, Houston and even KC. What gives?

Intrepid
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Up until this past July, I worked as a home-agent for Convergys. It was basic call center type work, only from the comfort of my own home. All I had to provide was high speed internet. The calls were routed via VoIP and the company provided me with the computer.

Being at home while working is the only thing I miss working for that company. They care more about their client (in this case, DirecTV) than they did about their employees. I'm fortunate that I found a better paying job, with better hours and weekends off.

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Did this State not learn from it's near catastrophic collapse back in the 80's? Is the problem lie that OKC is to close to Dallas and Kansas City which have a much higher concentration of HQ's. I never hear from executives that they wish to relocate to OKC its always Dallas, Houston and even KC. What gives?

We agree with you. Mayor Cornett agrees with you. Roy Williams agrees with you. Brad Henry agrees with you. That is why we are pushing biotech, just as one example. That's why we are pushing things like the NBA, an iconic park downtown, and mass transit. Those cities you mention are all bigger. Yes, companies would rather go there than OKC, Little Rock, or Wichita (in that order). We are working to be more attractive. No one is resting on their laurels.

wsucougz
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
So Oklahoma is the domestic version of India and Guatamala. I understand what you mean but when it comes down to it that is what is really being said. Keep in mind that people are not flocking to India to work in call-centers. Indian workers are flocking to America for higher paying jobs. Oklahoma in general has been pushing this "low cost of living" for long long time - it isn't working.

A lot of companies are just dipping their feet into the relatively new phenomenon of being able to conduct core business away from their HQ in real-time, from anywhere in the world.

My company is based out of Los Angeles. In about 2000, they began to entertain the idea of moving core portions of their business to other areas of the U.S. that make sense(financially, geographically, etc). What started out as a crappy call center in OKC has now ballooned into an office bursting at the seams with over 1200 employees of all types, several hundred of whom make over $50k/year. At this point, things are snowballing. The initial investment has paid off well and confidence in the ability to do significant portions of business from Oklahoma is strong. I can't say much more, but there are big things in the works.

That's just one example of what can happen when a company decides to dip their toes in the water. Dell is another and there will be more.

My company came here because of inexpensive land, salaries, power and the availability of a workforce with the needed skillsets. If you want to look at that as a negative, so be it, but it's actually a strength and it's an IN. Get enough of them here and some will plant roots. Others see what's happening and follow suit. Things get better from there.

wsucougz
10-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Obviously, what I've stated above works in tandem with the push for homegrown companies and efforts to make this city world-class. It's just one of the many avenues we have to achieve the vision for OKC. Just sayin.

lasomeday
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I still think the they need to update Quality Jobs. They need to add to it, so that more higher paying white color jobs can fit into it like engineers, accountants, computer progammers, etc. I don't see Governor Henry stepping to the plate.

hipsterdoofus
10-17-2008, 05:58 PM
I agree that you all are being very negative about this...Maybe the reason this type of business does well here is ability of people to work the job...and you know what? The people who work for these companies are not going to be working executive jobs anyway, so we aren't missing out, its just filling a niche - obviously these companies are finding people to employ here.

progressiveboy
10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree that you all are being very negative about this...Maybe the reason this type of business does well here is ability of people to work the job...and you know what? The people who work for these companies are not going to be working executive jobs anyway, so we aren't missing out, its just filling a niche - obviously these companies are finding people to employ here.

I agree with the statement of filling a niche, however does OKC or Oklahoma for that matter want to "settle" for low paying low skilled jobs? I am interpreting that you have resigned and settled for the status quo? If this is the case, then OKC and the State has a "very long" way of being a "world class city". If we have higher skilled jobs that require degrees then just think about the positive aspects of having a higher disposable income, people supporting the arts, our restaurants, shops etc.. An affluent population brings added prosperity and a more sophistication. This state and city cannot afford to not be proactive in aggressively pursuing "high end jobs". As I mentioned earlier, we need Fortune 500 companies to move their headquarters to the State and/or city.

wsucougz
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
As I mentioned earlier, we need Fortune 500 companies to move their headquarters to the State and/or city.

Do you really think that's a realistic goal?

progressiveboy
10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Do you really think that's a realistic goal?

I think there is the potential for this to happen, however it comes down to how much the State/City wants this to happen? Do you think it is possible? It sounds like you have much doubt? When you say if it's a realistic goal it sounds like your saying it's just a pipe dream and you have doubts it will not happen? Do you not want this to happen?

hipsterdoofus
10-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I agree with the statement of filling a niche, however does OKC or Oklahoma for that matter want to "settle" for low paying low skilled jobs?

Who said we are settling for them? Yes, lets tell them not to come here? Sheesh, way to be negative about getting jobs...Its not the companies fault that there apparently are not as many qualified people to fill the workforce at a higher class of workplace..that seems to be more of an issue that we need to fix, rather than gripe about all the dumb companies bringing their dumb low paying jobs here.

TheImmortal
10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I looked into the jobs this company is offering and they are nothing special or unique. Also, you have to pay them a $45 "processing" fee of sorts to pay for your background and credit check. Sounds a bit weak to me.

blangtang
10-17-2008, 10:57 PM
maybe they announced this plan to use as a bargaining chip against some other state, like 'hey, we got this great tax break in, uh, oklahoma. now what u got to offer us...?'

sounds like they are gaming the quality jobs act. are they buying/renting a facility in this state? Or are they just hiring a bunch of internet capable flunkies to get some mad tax breaks?

anyone remember that car company that was gonna open a facility in ardmore for production and an R&D in norman with HQ in OKC?

yeah, what happin w/dat?

kevinpate
10-18-2008, 05:29 AM
If there are available folks who have the qualifications for the jobs offered, and willing to work at that level of compensation, what's the issue? If they accept, but are actually qualified for a better job, they keep looking for the better job and in the interim, they work from home instead of not work, or work in a lesser situation.

More folks working for a pay level or an environment they find acceptable is better than fewer folks working.

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Who said we are settling for them? Yes, lets tell them not to come here? Sheesh, way to be negative about getting jobs...Its not the companies fault that there apparently are not as many qualified people to fill the workforce at a higher class of workplace..that seems to be more of an issue that we need to fix, rather than gripe about all the dumb companies bringing their dumb low paying jobs here.
Well I guess Oklahoma and OKC has their work cut out for them. I know, being a native OK Cityan and former resident now residing in Dallas I have met more people that moved to the DFW area from the State of Oklahoma and 90 percent of them say there are no good jobs in Oklahoma even if you have a degree. Futhermore, they come to appreciate the diverse jobs offered here plus no State Income tax most all of them say they will never move back to Oklahoma. Even when I have friends visit me from OKC they always comment how "much more" Dallas has to offer. Anyway, back to the subject at hand I still believe that OKC needs to attract major corporate relocations preferably Fortune 500 companies and "not" those marginal, low pay call centers.

betts
10-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Bigger cities always have more jobs. How could they not? That's why they're bigger. As far as there being "no good jobs", perhaps it depends on your field. I had no problem finding a good job when I graduated. I have a lot of friends with really good jobs. Everyone I know in Oklahoma City who wants to be is employed, in fact.

"Marginal, low pay call centers" employ people, and it's a different niche from "good jobs" for college graduates. It's not a bad thing for there to be diversity in jobs available, so I'm not looking down my nose at them.

Those people who are in Dallas are welcome to it. Personally, you'd have to pull my fingernails out to make me move there. I think it's one of the uglier cities in the US, with very little improvement over OKC besides more restaurants and better shopping and far worse traffic. It's all a matter of taste and personal opinion, you see.

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Bigger cities always have more jobs. How could they not? That's why they're bigger. As far as there being "no good jobs", perhaps it depends on your field. I had no problem finding a good job when I graduated. I have a lot of friends with really good jobs. Everyone I know in Oklahoma City who wants to be is employed, in fact.

"Marginal, low pay call centers" employ people, and it's a different niche from "good jobs" for college graduates. It's not a bad thing for there to be diversity in jobs available, so I'm not looking down my nose at them.

Those people who are in Dallas are welcome to it. Personally, you'd have to pull my fingernails out to make me move there. I think it's one of the uglier cities in the US, with very little improvement over OKC besides more restaurants and better shopping and far worse traffic. It's all a matter of taste and personal opinion, you see. I agree it is a matter of taste and personal opinion. Maybe if your employed in the oil and gas business in Oklahoma it is lucrative, but then again, after what oil and gas has been doing the last month wrecking havoc not only nationally as well as the State. But my biggest point is would you not want your city and State to have a cushion against oil prices and have a diversified economy? Large corporations relocating to OKC would make the city more prosperous, affluent and big companies establish roots in their communities. As far as ugly, I find OKC to be dirty and unkempt, "run down" is a better term. Dallas is much more modern and striking and has much more to offer than OKC so your statement about "very little improvement" over OKC is a weak argument IMPO.

jbrown84
10-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree with the statement of filling a niche, however does OKC or Oklahoma for that matter want to "settle" for low paying low skilled jobs? I am interpreting that you have resigned and settled for the status quo?

You are interpreting that completely wrong. Are you saying that we should not be bringing in jobs for people with this skill set? They should just have to move away, because we only want white collar executive jobs?

But my biggest point is would you not want your city and State to have a cushion against oil prices and have a diversified economy? Large corporations relocating to OKC would make the city more prosperous, affluent and big companies establish roots in their communities.

I don't know WHERE you are getting that we are settling for call center jobs or energy jobs only. We've explained this to you before and you can't seem to get it. Everyone here is working towards a diverse economy. There is a huge research park full of biotech companies right next to downtown that wasn't there 15 years ago. Any one of those companies could hit it big with a particular drug and we'd have a huge biotech company rooted here. I don't know how recognizing that these jobs fit the needs of certain people here means that this is the only kind of jobs we are trying to lure.

As far as ugly, I find OKC to be dirty and unkempt, "run down" is a better term. Dallas is much more modern and striking and has much more to offer than OKC so your statement about "very little improvement" over OKC is a weak argument IMPO.

You've apparently been bit by the Texas bug. Bigger is not always better, especially when it comes to egos.

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 01:40 PM
You are interpreting that completely wrong. Are you saying that we should not be bringing in jobs for people with this skill set? They should just have to move away, because we only want white collar executive jobs?

I don't know WHERE you are getting that we are settling for call center jobs or energy jobs only. We've explained this to you before and you can't seem to get it. Everyone here is working towards a diverse economy. There is a huge research park full of biotech companies right next to downtown that wasn't there 15 years ago. Any one of those companies could hit it big with a particular drug and we'd have a huge biotech company rooted here. I don't know how recognizing that these jobs fit the needs of certain people here means that this is the only kind of jobs we are trying to lure.

You've apparently been bit by the Texas bug. Bigger is not always better, especially when it comes to egos. Sorry you feel this way,but then again, Oklahoma has always had to play second fiddle to Texas. Sounds to me like someones been bitten with the jealous, envy bug. The major point I am making is why settle for "just less" lowing paying jobs. Yes, every city has these types of jobs but you all keep talking about being a "major league" city but many have a "minor league" mentality. Just became you have the NBA and Devon building a new downtown skyscraper does not automatically make OKC a cosmopolitan, major league city. It will take deep white collar jobs with deep pockets and high wages to have more prosperity.

wsucougz
10-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Well I guess Oklahoma and OKC has their work cut out for them. I know, being a native OK Cityan and former resident now residing in Dallas I have met more people that moved to the DFW area from the State of Oklahoma and 90 percent of them say there are no good jobs in Oklahoma even if you have a degree. Futhermore, they come to appreciate the diverse jobs offered here plus no State Income tax most all of them say they will never move back to Oklahoma. Even when I have friends visit me from OKC they always comment how "much more" Dallas has to offer. Anyway, back to the subject at hand I still believe that OKC needs to attract major corporate relocations preferably Fortune 500 companies and "not" those marginal, low pay call centers.

Plenty of jobs in OKC. In fact, my friends who recruit IT workers tell me OKC has been booming for the past 3+ years and it's still hitting on all cylinders. Way better than Tulsa, they tell me. As others have stated, everyone I know in OKC seems to have a decent job. Many people who moved to DFW as short as just a few years ago are no longer in tune what's going on in OKC.

So... we know you're not an English teacher. What kind of job were you unable to find in OKC, or are you yet a "boy," as your handle would have us believe?

jbrown84
10-18-2008, 02:14 PM
The major point I am making is why settle for "just less" lowing paying jobs. Yes, every city has these types of jobs but you all keep talking about being a "major league" city but many have a "minor league" mentality.

Where are you getting this about "settling"??

I'll ask you again: Are you saying we should literally turn these jobs down--just say, "no thanks"?

If not, then I don't understand your problem. This idea that our Chamber of Commerce, state, and city leaders are only recruiting call center jobs is not at all true, and I don't know where you are getting that.

betts
10-18-2008, 02:18 PM
As I said, I'm not jealous or envious of Dallas, except that I'd like a little better shopping here. I'm not in oil and gas, either. I don't happen to like Dallas. If I were going to move to a bigger city, I'd move to Chicago or Minneapolis, Portland or Seattle. Maybe even Denver. Those are big cities with, to me, much more to offer in the way of leisure time activities, green space, attractive neighborhoods and certainly the job market is as good, if not better than Dallas in those cities. Remember, it's hard to be at the pinnacle. If you're not, there's always someone ahead of you. Dallas has a lot of cities ahead of it, and I don't really consider it the city I'd like OKC to emulate. All a matter of taste, again.

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Plenty of jobs in OKC. In fact, my friends who recruit IT workers tell me OKC has been booming for the past 3+ years and it's still hitting on all cylinders. Way better than Tulsa, they tell me. As others have stated, everyone I know in OKC seems to have a decent job. Many people who moved to DFW as short as just a few years ago are no longer in tune what's going on in OKC.

So... we know you're not an English teacher. What kind of job were you unable to find in OKC, or are you yet a "boy," as your handle would have us believe? As I am sure you are not. I love your wit and sarcasm. Is that what you majored in college lol. My current job is in the insurance for a major 500 Fortune Company since your inquiring mind must know. I really find it hard to believe that IT is booming in OKC? Sounds like delusional visions of grandeur! lol

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Where are you getting this about "settling"??

I'll ask you again: Are you saying we should literally turn these jobs down--just say, "no thanks"?

If not, then I don't understand your problem. This idea that our Chamber of Commerce, state, and city leaders are only recruiting call center jobs is not at all true, and I don't know where you are getting that.
The problem lies in these types of jobs tend to be "fly by night". Not all of them are, but the majority are that offer "low wages", marginal benefits and hardly no chances for advancement. I am not saying that we should turn these jobs down, what I am saying why not "raise the bar" for OKC and recruit employers with high paying jobs. These types of jobs tend to for the most part offer more stability, more disposable incomes and people with college degrees. As far as you don't understand my problem, then perhaps it is way over your head.

Kerry
10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
The 1,000 at-home call center jobs isn't the problem. The problem is the big deal State officals make out of it. This should have been a one paragaph story at best - in the Lawton paper. It should have been a non-starter story at the Oklahoman unless they wanted to put it in the Life Style section. Heck, they could have wrapped the info in a story about stay-at-home moms and the in-home employment options available to them. Instead, the Oklahoman printed a free "help wanted" ad disguised as a news story.

jbrown84
10-18-2008, 04:30 PM
why not "raise the bar" for OKC and recruit employers with high paying jobs.

WE ARE. How many times do I have to say it?

progressiveboy
10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
WE ARE. How many times do I have to say it? Again you are not understanding what I am trying to say. You mentioned in an earlier thread that the Mayor, Chamber of Commerce etc.. are trying to push biotech etc... You mentioned the iconic downtown park, mass transit etc.. the point of this thread is "jobs" the type we seem to attract -vs- want to create. Maybe I am being a bit cynical, however the only point I am making is Oklahoma and OKC can do much better than a "home based call center". Why not strive for or attempt to gain 2-3 major headquarters.

jbrown84
10-18-2008, 05:13 PM
No one ever said we aren't striving for just that. Not only are leaders actively recruiting any new jobs and businesses that we can, but we are doing things to make this a better city to live in. We are not delusional to think that we can just throw money at Fortune 500 companies and they will move here. We have to have better parks, better roads, better schools, walkable communities, and mass transit.

wsucougz
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
As I am sure you are not. I love your wit and sarcasm. Is that what you majored in college lol. My current job is in the insurance for a major 500 Fortune Company since your inquiring mind must know. I really find it hard to believe that IT is booming in OKC? Sounds like delusional visions of grandeur! lol

First off - good one lol rofl loi!!! You seem to be really hung up on this "fortune 500" thing. It's not the end all be all. The company I work for is in the top 150 in the world, and I work in Oklahoma City of all places. Remember, the guy who takes your order at the McDonald's drive-through works for a "Major 500 Fortune Company."

OKC is moving forward on all fronts: Incentivizing local start-ups, incentivizing companies to move jobs here, and making the city a more attractive urban environment. It's a slow process but we've turned the corner. The loss of the local brain trust is slowing and companies that are already here are finding that more highly-skilled workers are available than before, and at more affordable salaries than big, coastal cities. The idea that fortune 500 companies are just going to pack up and move their central operations to Oklahoma City, or any other city, for that matter, is pretty much pie-in-the-sky.

Dallas is great, but it's not our model. We can do far better and have the luxury of a nearly blank slate. Stay in Dallas and be another number or come back to OKC and be a part of something. Your choice, Skippy.

Fortune 500.

HOT ROD
10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I agree with what has been said here, these type of jobs fill a niche that OKC has. All cities need to have a variety of types of jobs, not just top executive jobs. Even the Chicagos, New Yorks, and LA's of the world/nation have a spectrum of employment opps.

That said, I do think OKC needs to promote itself and build it's high paying jobs too. As many of you know, there is still a certain amount of brain drain from OKC to (mostly) Dallas or Houston. This is due, because OKC has a relative shortage in jobs that require college and advanced degrees.

So, while OKC may not immediately be able to land many fortune 500 companies through relocation - one very quick solution would be to go to companies and get them to open up an office (or backoffice) in OKC. This would not be a call center and would require a different niche of workers. This theory has worked well in Atlanta and Tampa (New York's longtime backoffice) and Des Moines (Chicago's), so why wouldn't it work here?

I would say that we should pursue companies located in Dallas or Houston but they are very unlikely to share anything with Oklahoma City - considering many of their companies (and residents) came from OKC to begin with. But what about the city attending meetings, conventions, and events in Chicago, New York, DC, LA, SF, Denver, Toronto/Vancouver, and other headquarter's cities?

In today's digital age, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to have a backoffice and not just have everything in your hq city. No disrespect and God forbid that it happened - but New York city was 'saved' so to say from a total catastrophe from 911 because of the backoffices located thousands of miles away. (I hate bringing that up, but it IS TRUE).

So why doesn't OKC start with that? It would bring at least a few office and technical jobs and an office for starters. Like was said, I believe the city could build from there and eventually have a significant workforce over time - and maybe a few might totally relocate if they really like it.

For backoffice operations, the company doesn't matter - if they have a network and use technology, then they need to back up their data and it is a good idea to have this far far away. I know OKC is getting into the server farming (which is a good idea) but we need to go one step further and get actual offices. This would also increase flights at WRWA as people would need to do some travel, a win-win.

One good way that the city coculd make this happen, besides getting off their keister and going to talk to cities/companies, is to set up a business incubator in downtown. At the incubator, the city could sell office space at reduced rates for given time durations then increase if the company stays. This would give companies the opportunity to 'try-out' Oklahoma City, similar to the NBA when the Hornets came. Eventually, the incubator is full (and so would downtown be) and you'd build another one (or another skyscraper to put the new businesses/companies).

It;s sort of the build-it-and-they-will-come scenario, but it gives significant incentive beyond the quality jobs rebate. It's something tangible, that companies could see on their bottom line and try out OKC and it's workforce. If it sticks, good for OKC! If not, the next company moves in (from OKC's recruiting efforts); and so on.

Maybe both of these ideas could merge, where OKC builds a backoffice incubator in a downtown skyscraper; and set's up suites of offices and data rooms; and leases them out to companies at lower than market rate which graduates over a set schedule.

Is this something that oculd be accomplished? It's sort of a world trade center approach, given em somewhere to work while they set up shop in your city. ...

wsucougz
10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree with what has been said here, these type of jobs fill a niche that OKC has. All cities need to have a variety of types of jobs, not just top executive jobs. Even the Chicagos, New Yorks, and LA's of the world/nation have a spectrum of employment opps.

That said, I do think OKC needs to promote itself and build it's high paying jobs too. As many of you know, there is still a certain amount of brain drain from OKC to (mostly) Dallas or Houston. This is due, because OKC has a relative shortage in jobs that require college and advanced degrees.

So, while OKC may not immediately be able to land many fortune 500 companies through relocation - one very quick solution would be to go to companies and get them to open up an office (or backoffice) in OKC. This would not be a call center and would require a different niche of workers. This theory has worked well in Atlanta and Tampa (New York's longtime backoffice) and Des Moines (Chicago's), so why wouldn't it work here?

I would say that we should pursue companies located in Dallas or Houston but they are very unlikely to share anything with Oklahoma City - considering many of their companies (and residents) came from OKC to begin with. But what about the city attending meetings, conventions, and events in Chicago, New York, DC, LA, SF, Denver, Toronto/Vancouver, and other headquarter's cities?

In today's digital age, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to have a backoffice and not just have everything in your hq city. No disrespect and God forbid that it happened - but New York city was 'saved' so to say from a total catastrophe from 911 because of the backoffices located thousands of miles away. (I hate bringing that up, but it IS TRUE).

So why doesn't OKC start with that? It would bring at least a few office and technical jobs and an office for starters. Like was said, I believe the city could build from there and eventually have a significant workforce over time - and maybe a few might totally relocate if they really like it.

For backoffice operations, the company doesn't matter - if they have a network and use technology, then they need to back up their data and it is a good idea to have this far far away. I know OKC is getting into the server farming (which is a good idea) but we need to go one step further and get actual offices. This would also increase flights at WRWA as people would need to do some travel, a win-win.

One good way that the city coculd make this happen, besides getting off their keister and going to talk to cities/companies, is to set up a business incubator in downtown. At the incubator, the city could sell office space at reduced rates for given time durations then increase if the company stays. This would give companies the opportunity to 'try-out' Oklahoma City, similar to the NBA when the Hornets came. Eventually, the incubator is full (and so would downtown be) and you'd build another one (or another skyscraper to put the new businesses/companies).

It;s sort of the build-it-and-they-will-come scenario, but it gives significant incentive beyond the quality jobs rebate. It's something tangible, that companies could see on their bottom line and try out OKC and it's workforce. If it sticks, good for OKC! If not, the next company moves in (from OKC's recruiting efforts); and so on.

Maybe both of these ideas could merge, where OKC builds a backoffice incubator in a downtown skyscraper; and set's up suites of offices and data rooms; and leases them out to companies at lower than market rate which graduates over a set schedule.

Is this something that oculd be accomplished? It's sort of a world trade center approach, given em somewhere to work while they set up shop in your city. ...

Good ideas. I would hope that at least some of this is already happening.

CuatrodeMayo
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
As I said, I'm not jealous or envious of Dallas, except that I'd like a little better shopping here. I'm not in oil and gas, either. I don't happen to like Dallas. If I were going to move to a bigger city, I'd move to Chicago or Minneapolis, Portland or Seattle. Maybe even Denver. Those are big cities with, to me, much more to offer in the way of leisure time activities, green space, attractive neighborhoods and certainly the job market is as good, if not better than Dallas in those cities. Remember, it's hard to be at the pinnacle. If you're not, there's always someone ahead of you. Dallas has a lot of cities ahead of it, and I don't really consider it the city I'd like OKC to emulate. All a matter of taste, again.

No joke...If I am going to move to a big city, Dallas is waaaay down the list.

I was in Dallas just this weekend and was remided how glad I am that I don't live there. The only thing I like about Dallas is IKEA (and that's in Frisco).

jbrown84
10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Dallas is the 2nd to last place I'd ever relocate (after Houston).

shane453
10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
How often does an established Fortune 500 company get up and move to a new state? Not very often. It's more important to grow our own companies.

That being said, Larry Nichols has made comments indicating he has talked to some coastal friends of his that have taken an interest in OKC. So maybe they are out there, somewhere.

As for the call centers, whenever we get one, they usually say there is a large pool of qualified workers. Qualified in the sense of a call center probably means Diploma/GED and maybe 1-2 years of college- Not a Masters or PhD. They will continue to come here where that is the type of job the workforce is qualified for but not over/underqualified for.

Say a huge company wanted to open a new branch of their accounting team or other white collar high-paying situation with 500 jobs- How easy would it be for them to fill those jobs in OKC?

When we get those types of jobs, it will be because a company moves the employees here, or because over the next decade we experience a major influx of educated expats deciding Oklahoma is a good place to live after all and because graduating students decide in greater numbers to stay put. I think the beginnings of those movements are in place.

jbrown84
10-20-2008, 01:14 PM
I think the "educated expats" will return when the jobs are here, not vice versa. This means that we need to rely on the growth of the companies we have, and if we get a headquarters move, so be it. In the case of the latter, some employees will relocate, while other jobs will open up, and expats will likely be the most interested parties other than those already here.

FFLady
10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, I have no comment on this thread, as I just recently found out there was a Gatorade plant in Pryor..........

Generals64
10-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Shouldn't step into this one but, do you guys really think tht the Mayor and Governor are just sitting around looking for Call centers? How about those 1,000 people WITHOUT a job at all? If they get a chance to have a JOB (that they didn't have before) then they will be able to add to the tax base, retail sales and purchases and so on....If YOU can do any better then there is going to be an election for Mayor and Governor sometime in the futre...You try to do and let us know. How many out of work people are willing to jump at this chance....think about it, with 1,000 jobs, making $400.00 per week (now, try to learn math here) that equates to $400,000.00 a week in the economy or in simple language $ 20,800,000.00 per year in new income into Oklahoma....Be proud that someone might have a chance to better their lives because they got a job....IN OKLAHOMA.......

lasomeday
10-21-2008, 08:40 AM
That is not the point. The point is that the governor is sitting on his arse and doing nothing. He has done nothing besides legalize gambling in the state with the tribes and the lottery. Other than that he slowed down tort reformed and stalled Workers Comp reform and watered it down. He has done nothing to bring business to Oklahoma. I am ready for a governor who will capitalize on all that we have done to OKC. Cornett is doing a great job. He and the past mayors of OKC are why we go the Hornets and Thunder. The governor may have given a speech but did none of the grunt work.

I think Cornett should run for Governor. Just thought I would throw his hat in the ring!

kevinpate
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
If in fact Gov. Henry has sat on his arse for a term and a half and only has done that which you credit to him, as the gov in a state with heavy poulist leanings, one would have tos ay all in all, nice job there gov.

We'll ignore the factoid of a vote of the people on the lotto Q as that's merely a pesky bit of reality that had nothing to do with the matter.

As for the 'reforms' that were stalled, some would disagree he sat on his arse and would say his ability to stand tall against such 'reforms' were among his finest hours in office.

They are as convinced of the correctness of their thoughts as you are of yours.

The more likely truth, as usual, sits on a small island somewhere between the left and right banks of politico swamp

Generals64
10-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Just think if Oklahoma was to get as many as ten (10) companies with the payroll proposed by this call line center we would see an influx of $200 million dollars into the states economy. Homes would start climbing...Grocery sales would grow....Schools would get some more help....Should I go on from there? I agree that Cornett should try the Governor's job but don't beat up on Henry he may be doing his best....the state citizen's elected him.....shoot, I even voted for Bush twice.....
-----------------------see ya next time:------------------

bretthexum
10-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I've posted this in other threads earlier this year. Obviously these people have done their homework and see that we have an abundance of the so called "call center worker". Not all people that work at call centers are the scum of the earth. These are usually good paying part or full time jobs for college students, or people looking for a second job. The people that are pissing and moaning about this are the same people who whine about people on welfare. If you don't like it then don't work there. Simple as that. It's a JOB for someone.

Jacob_Daddy
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Guess they would rather the people that take these job to be riding in the welfare wagon that we are pulling, rather than helping pull it.

I see it as a good thing, especially since they are working from home. That means there is less traffic on the road since these people commute from their bedroom to the computer daily, instead of tearing up the crosstown even more.

Jacob_Daddy
10-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I hate to sound cynical as well, however, we really need more skilled, higher paying jobs. I just do not understand why OKC or Oklahoma for that matter cannot attract any Fortune 500 companies? I really belive a big part of the problem lies with the leadership and government of this State. I have discussed this issue in previous threads but I am not able to get any answers. Look what's happening to OKC oil companies. Did this State not learn from it's near catastrophic collapse back in the 80's? Is the problem lie that OKC is to close to Dallas and Kansas City which have a much higher concentration of HQ's. I never hear from executives that they wish to relocate to OKC its always Dallas, Houston and even KC. What gives?

Have you seen our school district? It is hard to get employers to believe that we have skilled workers here when 35% of our students drop out of high school.

adaniel
10-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree it is a matter of taste and personal opinion. Maybe if your employed in the oil and gas business in Oklahoma it is lucrative, but then again, after what oil and gas has been doing the last month wrecking havoc not only nationally as well as the State. But my biggest point is would you not want your city and State to have a cushion against oil prices and have a diversified economy? Large corporations relocating to OKC would make the city more prosperous, affluent and big companies establish roots in their communities. As far as ugly, I find OKC to be dirty and unkempt, "run down" is a better term. Dallas is much more modern and striking and has much more to offer than OKC so your statement about "very little improvement" over OKC is a weak argument IMPO.

OK I'm really bored at work right now and I've read through some of your posts and all I can say is, you sir, need to lay off the North Dallas Koolaid.

You are correct in the fact that Dallas's main economic niche is luring high paid executive HQ jobs. I grew up in Plano, which was probably the biggest beneficiary of this system. But for an area that is supposed to be affordable by most national standards, Dallas is really lacking in a middle class. Lots of gushy, high paid executives in the burbs, low paying service jobs that serve these people, and not much else. FWIW, the city of Dallas has a lower median income than the city of OKC (notice median not average, which is a better indicator of across the board wealth).

Personally I think OKC should (and is) following Austin’s growth model. Austin only has one fortune 500 company (Dell, maybe one other one), but it has tons of small start ups and small businesses, thanks to a strong entrepreneurial spirit that you wouldn’t get in a community that whores itself out to big corporations that will eventually move to greener pastures when the money is right. Think about it. Devon, American Fidelity, Midfirst, Chesapeake, Sonic, they were all companies started here in OKC.

Personally, I can say I’m about to graduate, and an opportunity came up in Dallas. I was really excited about it, but the company I am working for now gave me an offer I can’t refuse. Sure, I could move back in with my parents and have a higher salary to boot, but I would probably blow it by trying to keep up with all the other credit card millionaires down there, and I’ve come to appreciate OKC: progressive without the pretentiousness that comes with it.

Although I could really use a Central Market.

jbrown84
10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Well said adaniel. Thanks for posting that.