View Full Version : Sage Cafe and Market

Pages : [1] 2

lpecan
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Signs are up in Bezdek Arch.'s old location. Sage Cafe (http://www.sageokc.com) . Anyone know anything?

betts
10-15-2008, 05:46 PM
I like the "and market" part of the ad. But I know nothing.

shane453
10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Really interesting! 2nd Street, Deep Deuce

metro
10-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Nice! Glad to see progress moving forward faster than I anticipated. Bezdek bought another run down building on the west side of downtown and is fixing it up for a studio/residence.

amylynn5656
10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
oooOOOOOooo....looks interesting! Should be a good addition to the area.

metro
10-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I've heard the owners have sunk some SERIOUS money into remodeling this space, about $100K is what I heard when it's all said and done. Apparently they knocked out the wall between the old Bezdek & Associates space and the old J3 Architecture space next door. As you probably know, the spaces are on different grades since it is on a hill. To make the place ADA compliant they will have to put a wheelchair lift in now. I also heard they are having to install a sprinkler system, etc. I haven't heard much more about it behind the scenes other than that. Anyone else know more?

shane453
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
So this is the retail building on the southwest corner of 2nd and Central?

metro
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Yes

jbrown84
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Sounds exciting.

betts
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
If it's a deli, perhaps it's going to be a market similar to that at LaBaguette, with meat, cheeses and bread. I, of course, would hope for a more extensive listing of items for sale, such as fruits, veggies and pasta, but even a meat and cheese market would be a significant improvement to what's currently available.

lasomeday
10-22-2008, 06:54 AM
NEW ORGANIC CAFE, MARKET WILL FILL DOWNTOWN NICHE
Comments 2By Steve Lackmeyer
Published: October 22, 2008
An organic food market — the very sort of retail long desired by downtowners — is being opened this winter in Deep Deuce by a couple who recently chose to move to Oklahoma City after living and working in New York City. Advertisement

Kevin and Charifa Smith say "Sage Gourmet Cafe & Market” is named in honor of their daughter, who died this year two days after birth from a heart defect.

Reason to open
"We just want to promote heart healthiness,” Charifa Smith said. "We don’t want to sell things that are bogged down with chemicals.”
Once open, the market at 228 NE 2 will offer an array of organic eggs, produce, milk, cheeses, vegetables and fruits, baked goods (including Monkey Bread) as well as dressings and spices. The pair also plan to offer prepared meals to go from the cafe.

"We want to have a nice, open feel so everybody who enters can enjoy all we have going on,” Kevin Smith said.

"We want it to be a lifestyle experience. We want you to see you can purchase products and recreate what we have in the cafe at home. And we want people to feel that this is part of the neighborhood,” he said.

A wall that separated two architectural firms already has been removed as part of the renovation, and the couple is working with New York City designer Michael Sparks to create a space different from anything in the city.

Background
A cafe with an outdoor patio will face Central Avenue, while the west half of the building, with an entrance facing NE 2, will house the market. An antique bar will mark the divide between the market and the cafe. Sparks said his designs emphasize the history of the building, built in 1925 during the height of Deep Deuce’s jazz age, while showing a hint of modernism.
"When we’re done, you’re going to think you’re in Paris or New York ... it’s going to be a place where locals can get their food, eat, drink and be merry,” Sparks said.

betts
10-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Wow. That's exciting.

metro
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/508906/w300

cherrylane
10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Cute couple, great idea!

SouthsideSooner
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
This was a sidenote to the story....

The OWNERS
How they got here
Charifa Smith, 33, is a "boomeranger,” returning to her hometown after a 12-year stint in New York City as a financial analyst, developer and attorney. She and her husband, Kevin, 31, decided to move to Oklahoma City after their marriage in 2006. Their cafe and market is a family venture, with assistance being lent by Kevin Smith’s father, Conroy Smith Sr., executive chef at Churchill Downs Corp.

Pete
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
This is fantastic news!

I pray this is successful and that other similar businesses will follow.

Forget the chains and support locally-owned!

metro
10-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Right on Pete. I love how these things are like on every corner in NYC.

metro
10-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Organic market, café headed for Oklahoma City’s Deep Deuce neighborhood
OKCBusiness Staff
10/22/2008

Deep Deuce will welcome an organic market and café this winter according to an Associated Press report.
The Sage Gourmet Café and Market will offer organic eggs, produce, milk, cheeses, fruits and vegetables, baked goods along with dressings and spices and prepared meals.

A recently relocated couple from New York City, Kevin and Charifa Smith, will own the market named for their infant daughter who died from a heart defect.

A New Yorker, Michael Sparks, will design the renovated market and café which will be separated by an antique bar. The venue will also have an outdoor patio.

Steve
10-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Associated Press report...?

jbrown84
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
LOL steve. I wondered the same.

Karried
11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage supermarket will serve downtown

Posted: Nov 7, 2008 11:09 PM CST
By Colleen Chen, NEWS 9

(Notice the spelling of Oklahoma? lol)

OKALHOMA CITY -- For years now, city leaders have studied ways to get a grocery store to serve downtown Oklahoma City, and one New York couple with Oklahoma roots is taking the first step.
There are a number of new housing developments joining existing complexes downtown and the Smiths are poised to take advantage of it.
"Coming here from Detroit, I thought there would be some supermarkets around, but it seems like you have to drive everywhere," Deep Deuice resident Chris Silva said. "I drive like 15 minutes to 23 Street to get groceries."
That's what Kevin and Charifa Smith noticed too, which is one reason behind their soon to be Sage Gourmet Cafe and Market (http://www.sageokc.com/) at 228 NE 2 Street.
"Coming from New York, where you see them on every corner, it's a difference," Charifa Smith said.
The Smith's have hired Chef Dave to prepare things like avocado seafood salad and wild mushroom rissoto to make up the cafe part of the business. Fresh, local produce will go in the market
"It's a great way to showcase what Oklahoma has to offer, instead of bringing food from all over the country that's frozen," Kevin Smith said.
Sage is meant to be a cozy neighborhood market, not the full fledged grocery store city leaders are trying to lure, but city leaders and neighbors couldn't be happier.
"It's an important first step. It's putting our toes in the water so to speak and hopefully we'll find the right temperature," City Planning Director Russell Claus said.
The Smiths are hoping to have their market open this winter

metro
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the new article on the place. Also, I find the Deep Deucer residents comment rather funny, why the heck does it take him 15 minutes to drive to the many grocery stores on NW 23rd? I live downtown and get there in about 5, maybe 10 minutes if traffic is bad. Does he also not know there is a Braums and Homeland at 17th and 18th and Classen?

mecarr
11-09-2008, 04:08 PM
The gas station at 6th and Walker Ave. also has a lot of everyday items (i.e., light bulbs, cereal, fruit, etc.)

metro
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
The gas station at 6th and Walker Ave. also has a lot of everyday items (i.e., light bulbs, cereal, fruit, etc.)

They're also incredibly rude to their customers.

charm3r
11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.news9.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3115427&at1=News&h1=Sage supermarket will serve downtown

mecarr
11-10-2008, 10:58 PM
They're also incredibly rude to their customers.

They've never been rude to me but they do have a couple of weird store policies, like if you are under 18 then you can't go in by yourself, and you can't bring any bags with you into the store no matter what your age. Their fried egg rolls and corndogs sitting in their little cafe makes me cringe too everytime.

metro
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Their website now has content and should be opening in the next few weeks.

PLANSIT
01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Wow, their hours of operation are awesome, I'm kind of sad I'm moving.

cherrylane
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Steve posted about the owners on his blog..nice!

OKC Central (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral)

metro
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
saw that too. this will definitely be a welcome addition to downtown. I just wish there was another on the west side of downtown. you can find these on every corner in NYC. Ironically when I was in San Diego last week, I couldn't find any in their downtown and their downtown is much bigger than ours and people more health conscious.

mecarr
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I just got word from Urban Neighbors that Sage will "hopefully be open by the end of March." They now have a facebook page at
Sage Gourmet Cafe & Market | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-City-OK/Sage-Gourmet-Cafe-Market/68429282743)

metro
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm an Urban Neighbors board member and haven't been given that information. You may want to check with Sage directly as their projected opening date. When I stopped by a couple weeks ago, it looked like they had at least a month's work, so that could be possible. I see that being the earliest they could be open. For the City's quality of life sake, I hope so!

mecarr
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm an Urban Neighbors board member and haven't been given that information. You may want to check with Sage directly as their projected opening date. When I stopped by a couple weeks ago, it looked like they had at least a month's work, so that could be possible. I see that being the earliest they could be open. For the City's quality of life sake, I hope so!

I got the email from the Urban Neighbors facebook page. Urban Neighbors (Bose) sent me the email. If you are not on facebook then you probably didn't get the message.

metro
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Not a facebooker, but thanks for the update.

metro
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Drove by on 2.27.09 and they now have the awnings up. Still looks like plenty of work to go on the inside.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Sage_2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Sage_1.jpg

FritterGirl
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
They sent out another fb update over this past weekend (Saturday, I think). Floors were to be finished that day, so they are "getting close."

Can't wait to see the final product.

Kevin is involved in deadCenter and other community projects, so they're getting involved here, as well as contributing to our growth. Hope they get good support.

metro
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Got a link to their fb?

FritterGirl
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Try THIS (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?sid=d957261fbed3da9a99e785c602ba465c&id=1403608433&hiq=sage). It's a standard page, not a business page.

metro
03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Also, I noticed their menu is now on their website. I wonder how all the turkey bacon, sausage, burgers, etc. will do here in Oklahoma instead of having beef or pork. I'm all for eating healthy and organic, but I'd rather have organic pork bacon than turkey bacon.

cherrylane
03-03-2009, 05:39 AM
I thought that too because I am HUGE pork eater :) But I was invited to a private tasting at their chef's house in edmond a few weeks ago and the food was amazing! The turkey sausage is homemade and it was baked in a frittata (yum). My other favorites were the shrimp and grits, orzo salad (which I found out is a wheat pasta), and turkey club with organic beef and loads of turkey bacon. They have a great concept and I for one am looking forward to their opening.

metro
03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Turkey Club with organic beef?

metro
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Forgot to post, but they are hiring waitstaff and barstaff.

Doug Loudenback
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I was out on a research quest for my vintage clickable map and dropped in to the Sage this afternoon, meeting the owners, very nice people. Workmen were very busy and it may be that at least the eating and drinking parts will be open rather soon ... I asked if I could come back later when the place was nearer to being ready to take some pics, and was told, "Sure." When I asked how soon things would be sort of photogenic and was told, "later this week," I was considerably surprised.

Anyway, here's the website: Sage Gourmet Cafe & Market (http://www.sageokc.com/)

And here are a pair of renderings of the cafe & bar (renderings of the market weren't available):

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/deepdeuce/rendering_banquetteview1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/deepdeuce/rendering_barview.jpg

I was certainly impressed with the owners ... seems to me like they have a good thing going with this project.

More later, after I've taken some pics.

metro
03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks Doug, waiting on those additional pics! They are shooting for the end of the month last I heard.

CCOKC
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow. Looks cute inside. I walked by there Saturday night and noticed that the sidewalk in front of their place is torn up. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

kevinpate
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
interesting menu. Wasn't expecting to see grits

CaptDave
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Shrimp and grits!!!! If they are using a true "Low Country" recipe, I will be there - often. It isn't a combination most people would think of, but in South Carolina, it is very common. I can't wait to try it now.

warreng88
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
From Newsok.com:

Sage Gourmet Cafe & Market closer to opening
Published: March 17, 2009

Work continues on Sage Gourmet Cafe & Market in the Deep Deuce area. Owners and operators are Kevin and Charifa Smith.

Once open, the market at 228 NE 2 will offer an array of organic eggs, produce, milk, cheeses, vegetables and fruits, baked goods (including Monkey Bread) as well as dressings and spices.

They also plan to offer prepared meals-to-go from the cafe.

The cafe is named in honor of their daughter, who died last year two days after birth from a heart defect.

STEVE LACKMEYER, BUSINESS WRITER

http://newsok.com/sage-gourmet-cafe-market-closer-to-opening/article/3353907

fuzzytoad
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Turkey Club with organic beef?

What?

sounds better than a Turkey Club with inorganic beef

metro
03-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Anyone have any new news on Sage's opening date?

Doug Loudenback
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
No, but I dropped by yesterday for a quick look at progress and it's come along nicely in the week since I was there. The worker said that it should be ready for good pics in about a week ... but, of course, that doesn't necessarily relate to the opening date.

metro
04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Meant to post this last week, but Sage is planning on opening today at 11am. Wife and I stopped by and talked to owners last week and got a tour. Then ate dinner at Wedge II.

mecarr
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Meant to post this last week, but Sage is planning on opening today at 11am. Wife and I stopped by and talked to owners last week and got a tour. Then ate dinner at Wedge II.

Is this a full opening or soft-opening? I think the place will be great.

metro
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
soft opening today is what they said and had flyer on window, I also can confirm this today with a twitter "tweet" I received this morning.

http://twitter.com/Sageokc

mattjank
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Stopped in for lunch. Had a delicious grilled portabello sandwich with a side of great orzo pasta salad. Very good stuff, and a great option for those of us who tend to shy away from meat. Will definitely be back.

Only hitch I ran into was that their CC machine was not up yet, so it was cash or check only at lunch. May have that corrected already, but may want to call ahead to be sure.

metro
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Nope, you're correct only cash or check today only. See twitter link above.

mecarr
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
What exactly is a "soft opening"? Does it mean that they just offer a limited number of things? Metro, are they offering groceries in their soft opening?

metro
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
soft opening means they aren't promoting the opening heavily, etc. just basically "word of mouth" opening. As many on this site like to say, new places like to "work the kinks out" before they heavily advertise. Grand Openings of most businesses are a month or two after they open. I believe Sage is planning theirs next month sometime.

Groceries should be there today, have not stopped in but they already had the non perishables in last week. I imagine the rest are in today. This isn't going to be a full blown grocery store, but will have grains, pastas, organic milk, prepared meals, cheese/meat counter and a few other things.

Steve
04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
A soft opening is one where you really, really want to keep Metro away until you have your act together (no offense - but you must admit you are a brutally honest tough critic Metro).
After thought. Metro is someone who really has done a good job sampling LOCALLY owned restaurants. That's a good thing in my book. So here's a serious question that threatens to hijack this thread - Metro, are there any restaurants that disappointed you during the initial break-in period but later left you impressed?

mecarr
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
My wife and I ate there tonight. It had a good amount of customers. The restaurant had a very nice vibe, good music, nice wait-staff. I didn't really notice many problems on their first day of being open other than that they were out of one of the items I ordered. I had the Sage Club which was very tastey. The $13 charge was a bit pricey for a sandwich, but I wasn't that bent out of shape about it.