View Full Version : Winery to open in Bricktown

metro
10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Winery set for Bricktown
Journal Record
October 15, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – A hobby for one Oklahoma couple has turned into a new business, and something for them to work on as they eye retirement.

John Burwell and Andrea Griggs decided to take their home winemaking project and set up shop in Bricktown in a space looking out onto the canal. “For the last five or six years we’ve been talking about setting ourselves up in a business for retirement,” Burwell said. “Although we’re not really ready to retire yet, we’re going to go ahead and do this because we thought the time was right.”

By day Burwell is state forester with the Oklahoma Forestry Services and Griggs is in the construction business. “I’ve been bugging him for two years to do this,” Griggs said. “Finally he gave in and said ‘come up with a business plan.’

”The couple have signed a lease on about 1,300 square feet in the Miller Jackson building, at 115 E. California St., to make and sell wine. Put a Cork in It will open in February.

Packages will be available to let people come into the space, make and bottle their own wine, and slap on a custom label. Burwell and Griggs will bring in grape juice from vineyards around the country that will be fermented on site to make the wines in a process that takes about four to eight weeks.

“We’re not going to be making wines comparable to the great wines of France,” Burwell said. “We’re just going to be making fun wines.” The couple is still figuring out pricing, but said the wines will sell for about $10 a bottle.

Jeff Brown, the fourth-generation owner of the Miller Jackson building, said one of his tenants, Chad Huntington, with Red Dirt Emporium and Water Taxi, originally suggested a shop showcasing Oklahoma wines for the ground-floor space next to his shop.

That space was last occupied by a coffee shop about two years ago. Brown said that was already in the back of his mind when he met Burwell and Griggs. “They mentioned something about wine and I said ‘I can’t believe this,’” Brown said.

The building has a mix of office and retail tenants, and recently signed a lease with the Coyote Ugly Saloon in addition to Hooters and the Rok Bar.

“This adds to the retail population in Bricktown and some degree of diversification in retail,” Brown said. The addition of new, unique, and diverse retail in the district fits into Bricktown Executive Director Jim Cowan’s vision for the district.

“People are thinking about niches,” Cowan said. “It’s exciting when you have something move in that’s not a restaurant or bar.” Griggs plans to run the winery with help from her husband when he is not at his job with the state. “This is my job,” she said with a laugh. “This is my winery and he’s going to work for me.”

Additional plans will include wine tasting events and Griggs hopes groups will rent the space for wine parties. One of the last hurdles will be finalizing the appropriate state and federal paperwork to make and sell wine at the shop, which Burwell said they hope to have completed soon.

The project is in many ways what the couple envisioned, with a few minor changes. Both are from southeastern Oklahoma and had a little different idea how their winery would shape up. “We always thought we’d sit on the front porch down in a rural area overlooking our winery,” Burwell said. “Instead we’ll sit on the porch overlooking the Bricktown Canal.”

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-btown%20wine_MS.jpg
Andrea Griggs and John Burwell sit in the store space where they will open up their winery Put a Cork in It at the Miller Jackson building in Bricktown. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

Personal Comment:
Honestly, I think they have a pretty good concept that could be ripe to set up franchise locations all over U.S. This specifically reminds me of the Pass Your Plate and other prepare your meals services. I think the public and tourists will really dig this.

donbroncho
10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Ive never been one to really get into the whole wine thing, but this is an interesting addition to bricktown nonetheless. People should be pleased to see that its not chain place and it is a "niche" kind of place that is lacking down there.

And at $10 a bottle, thats pretty reasonable. Now i wonder if they let you smash the grapes with your own feet...

CuatrodeMayo
10-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Hmmmm...

I give it 6 months.

donbroncho
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Hmmmm...

I give it 6 months.

I really hope your wrong man, but for all I know you could be very right. Their idea might not sell to the visitors down there. We shall see how things work out for them.

Luke
10-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I walked by the canal yesterday with my daughter. We were at canal level. I hadn't been on canal level in awhile. There were SO many empty storefronts down there. I couldn't believe it. And that dungeon is SO cheesy.

I hope some of these projects fill up the lower level of the canal. To me, those seem like the quaintest spots... right on the water, under the trees. Lots of potential, but currently very void.

ultimatesooner
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm...

I give it 6 months.

I say under 4

metro
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I think you guys will be surprised as long as the economy stays decent. I think this has some real potential.

John
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
There's a similar concept in Edmond at Spring Creek Village.

I like the idea of being in Bricktown/downtown, though.

BDP
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I think a lot will hinge on their special events program. If they can get some good wine tasting and party ideas, and they do the space right, they could get some good word of mouth from it.

It's funny, though, it's hard to imagine that there's not some sort of Oklahoma law against this. :)

Midtowner
10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I think you guys will be surprised as long as the economy stays decent. I think this has some real potential.

I agree. These wineries are everywhere, many in touristy cities. They seem to do alright.

SouthsideSooner
10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
It's hard for me to see how the numbers will work.

High overhead (Bricktown) and a low margin product (@ $10 per bottle?) makes it very hard for me to see them doing the necessary volumn to make it work.

Midtowner
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
You have to take into account the probability that the Bricktown location will just be the "face" of a new brand of wine which will be available elsewhere. If their aim is to become a well-known local brand, a winery in Bricktown with wine tasting, etc. available isn't a bad idea at all.

Stinger
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
We did a wine tasting tour in California recently. Started out going to large vineyards in the Santa Ynez area, then ended up spending a lot of time in a little town called Los Olivos that was a little village that had several tasting rooms in an old downtown square setting.

These tasting rooms owned by various winemakers, were small and the wine was produced off sight, but there was retail, restaurants, and wine...and we stayed for 4-5 hours in an area 1/2 the size of Bricktown. If it weren't towards the end of our trip, we would have likely gone back for more.

I think this adds diversity to the area and definitely has a place. I wish them well.

SouthsideSooner
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
You have to take into account the probability that the Bricktown location will just be the "face" of a new brand of wine which will be available elsewhere. If their aim is to become a well-known local brand, a winery in Bricktown with wine tasting, etc. available isn't a bad idea at all.

That's much easier said than done. With over 50 Oklahoma wineries competing for shelf space on liquor store shelves, trying to sell products that are for the most part under quality and over priced compared to the competition from the rest of the world, is an uphill climb. If one of the more semi-established Oklahoma brands like Grape Ranch or Tidal School were to attempt such a venture, it might have a chance....but for a new start up, they had better have very deep pockets and the ability to sustain loses for several years, to have any chance at all.

betts
10-16-2008, 07:25 AM
The quality of the wine will be another key. I'm not sure about the "fun" wines concept. It's an interesting idea, but I hope it's as much a hobby as a business.

metro
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
It's hard for me to see how the numbers will work.

High overhead (Bricktown) and a low margin product (@ $10 per bottle?) makes it very hard for me to see them doing the necessary volumn to make it work.

Yeah, because all those $10 meals served at Zios, Spaghetti Warehouse, Chelino's and other places haven't kept them in business for years.

amaesquire
10-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah, because all those $10 meals served at Zios, Spaghetti Warehouse, Chelino's and other places haven't kept them in business for years.

Well said. And I like wine way more than I like eating at any of those three restaurants you mentioned by name.

Luke
10-16-2008, 09:11 AM
To be fair, you think a winery can sell as many $10 bottles as Chelino's sells $10 plates in a day?

Highly doubtful.

That's gotta be hundreds a day.

SouthsideSooner
10-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Yeah, because a start up novelty wine business has any hope of selling as many bottles of wine day in and day out as a popular downtown chain restaurant sells meals.

That was a very poor analogy.

lasomeday
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I am sure they will have a variety of wines as well. They could have some that cost up to $500/bottle. That would help out with their economics.

metro
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
To be fair, you think a winery can sell as many $10 bottles as Chelino's sells $10 plates in a day?

Highly doubtful.

That's gotta be hundreds a day.

I agree it's not the best analogy, but just trying to be positive.

No, BUT I doubt their overhead (rent primarily) will be near as much since it is a much smaller space. They will probably also have a much smaller staff, so those costs will be cut down significantly as well. In the new call center thread you were wondering why people were being negative on 1,000 new jobs to Oklahoma, but an entrepreneur wants to open their own business and offer some much needed variety to Bricktown and you seem hesitant. What gives? Obviously the owners have a business plan and probably crunched the numbers, or they wouldn't be doing this.

Luke
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
In the new call center thread you were wondering why people were being negative on 1,000 new jobs to Oklahoma, but an entrepreneur wants to open their own business and offer some much needed variety to Bricktown and you seem hesitant. What gives?

I'm saying your analogy would imply that the winery will sell hundreds of $10 bottles a day. I'm as optimistic as they come (OKC Olympics 2024!!!!), and God help them if they can, but I just don't see how they can average hundreds of bottles of wine each day.

While you may see it differently, I don't think it's quite comparable to equate the economic impact of a winery in Bricktown to a company adding 1000 jobs to OKC's economy.

By the way, I wasn't negative whatsoever about the fact that a winery is opening in Bricktown. I was "hesitant" as to the comparison you made that this winery can attain the financial success that Chelinos has. Success, yes. Equal to Chelinos? That's a lotta wine!

:)

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm as optimistic as they come (OKC Olympics 2024!!!!),

And a ski area in the Ouachitas! ;):D

Luke
10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
And a ski area in the Ouachitas! ;):D

Ah, you remember!

Yes, very do-able. I need to get that site back up...

:)

Mr. T in OKC
10-16-2008, 03:02 PM
"I walked by the canal yesterday with my daughter. We were at canal level. I hadn't been on canal level in awhile. There were SO many empty storefronts down there. I couldn't believe it. And that dungeon is SO cheesy."

How does the dungeon make it in bricktown, but lit can't make it? I gave the dungeon 5 days when I first saw it. Unbelieveable.

Mr. T in OKC
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Ii

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
The Dungeon fits the Bricktown crowd these days a lot better than LiT.

sroberts24
10-16-2008, 03:32 PM
The Dungeon fits the Bricktown crowd these days a lot better than LiT.

i strongly disagree!

mecarr
02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Winery set for Bricktown

”The couple have signed a lease on about 1,300 square feet in the Miller Jackson building, at 115 E. California St., to make and sell wine. Put a Cork in It will open in February.

Has this place opened up yet? Any news?

mecarr
02-14-2009, 01:30 PM
They have a new website up. (http://hstrial-jburwell.homestead.com/)
Here's what their homepage says...
"A winery in Bricktown, you say? Surely not, but then again come on down here and check it out. As the proprieters, owners and managers of Put A Cork In It Bricktown Winery, we'll treat you like family and make sure you have a great time. We're a new business so we'll try hard to create a unique and exciting experience for you and your friends. We'll let you taste our wines for almost nothin' and hope you find one to call your favorite. We make, bottle, cork and label our wines on premise, so if you want to watch or want to help you can do that. We even offer folks the opportunity to make, bottle and place a custom label on a batch of wine of their choosing -- great for special occassions, meetings, company promotions, or even family get togethers.

We hope you'll give us a visit. We think you'll come back, 'cause every hour is a happy hour at -- Put a Cork In It
115 E. California
Miller-Jackson Building
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Open: 1 pm until 8 pm; Wednesday - Saturday
2 pm - 6 pm Sundays

metro
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I had the priveledge of a tasting at last week's Urban Neighbors social. They should be open here in the next few weeks.

mecarr
02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Too bad it's not a wine bar. A wine bar would do great in bricktown.

sethsrott
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Too bad it's not a wine bar. A wine bar would do great in bricktown.

Would it do great or would you like to see one down there? I hear lots of people say "xyz would do great in Bricktown" but in reality it wouldn't. Is there the demand for a Wine Bar? How many successful wine bars are there in the city? A major downside of Bricktown is the large number of turnover businesses that occur.

mecarr
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Would it do great or would you like to see one down there? I hear lots of people say "xyz would do great in Bricktown" but in reality it wouldn't. Is there the demand for a Wine Bar? How many successful wine bars are there in the city? A major downside of Bricktown is the large number of turnover businesses that occur.

I guarantee you that a wine bar would be more popular in bricktown than just a shop that sold wine bottles. People come to bricktown to hang out, not to shop for wine, at least in my opinion.

okclee
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I would like to see the wine shop (winery), have a bar too. One could create and or purchase the wine, then move to the bar area and enjoy their bottle.

mecarr
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I would like to see the wine shop (winery), have a bar too. One could create and or purchase the wine, then move to the bar area and enjoy their bottle.

That's what I'm thinking. All the winery would have to do to create a wine bar is throw some chairs together and serve cheese and fruit.

Easy180
08-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Wife dropped in last night to pick up some Wine Glace'...It's a mix you put in with a sweet wine and ice to create a Wine-A-Rita...We discovered this stuff at the Girls Gone Wine winery near Broken Bow lake this spring

Can't say I am a fan of any wine by itself but the Wine-A-Ritas are outstanding...Runs $12.95 here I believe

RedDirt717
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Ive never been one to really get into the whole wine thing, but this is an interesting addition to bricktown nonetheless. People should be pleased to see that its not chain place and it is a "niche" kind of place that is lacking down there.

And at $10 a bottle, thats pretty reasonable. Now i wonder if they let you smash the grapes with your own feet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMS0O3kknvk

mmonroe
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
haha, funny video.
Well, if there is a regular crowd of 120 people each month, that's averaging 4 people a day in an average 30 day calendar month and each of those people purchase 1 ten dollar bottle of wine each, then that would be only $1,200 each month. Not worth it in my opinion. That would barely cover rent.

Urbanized
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
They are doing really, really well and have exceeded their own expectations; in fact they are contemplating expansion already. Fortunately they are planning for the seasonality Bricktown experiences, so I don't think they are counting too heavily on winter business for their income, historically a problem for new businesses in the district. They were doing their buildout in January and February, so I think it opened their eyes to the seasonality and lack of traffic during those months, which probably equals fortunate timing.

They had to do significant seasonal hiring during the summer to keep up with demand. Since I'm in the same building I see their place and their crowd on pretty much a daily basis, and I'm always pleasantly surprised by how packed their wine bar is during their hours of business. Free tastings are obviously the hook, but they sell tons of wine out of that place and if anything have had a difficult time producing enough to keep up with demand.

I know that one element of their business where they are hoping to add some income during the off-season is private label wine, which they offer for weddings, corporate gifts and the like. It has definitely been interesting to watch them come together as a business, and I'm optimistic that they will be one of the ones that makes it in Bricktown.

RedDirt717
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm optimistic that they will be one of the ones that makes it in Bricktown.

Great update.

I think there are going to be more that "make it" in bricktown in the coming years. After being in big cities in the East Coast for a while it's nice to drive down to bricktown and just walk around and take it all in. I'm seeing more and more people down there on weekdays. It's pretty cool to see the development still going up everywhere and when Devon starts on it's TIF in the coming years I dont think keeping little novelty shops open is going to be a problem.

OKCMallen
09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Anyone had the zinfandel?