View Full Version : Darrol Ray has new barbq place in Norman

Dekoung
10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
For those of you too young to remember he is a former OU football player who later played for the Jets. He and his wife have opened Ray's Barbq on Lindsey in the old pizza location. We had dinner there Saturday after our sad trek back from Dallas and the food was good and plentiful. Darrol spoke with us but we did not talk the game as he takes losing hard. He and his wife are very nice and her homebaked coconut pecan cake was very tempting but I ahd to pass since I was full and even took a doggie bag home.

So give them a try when you next are craving barbq.

BradR
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
where exactly on Lindsey? down by Homeland?

kevinpate
10-13-2008, 05:48 AM
I wish them well. They have some significant competition in town from Red Zone and Vann's, and then the second tier folks like Rib Crib, J.R's and Rudy's or whatever it's called. I don't tend to make it down to the second tier level.

BradR
10-13-2008, 06:44 AM
J.R.s is too good to be compared to rib crib or rudy's..if you ask me

Dekoung
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
where exactly on Lindsey? down by Homeland?

Yes, on Lindsey near Homeland. Sign says Ray's Barbq. Hey, guys, they know they have a lot of competition and are trying to be customer service friendly oriented and their barbq may not be your favorite but give them a try some time as they are nice folks. Mrs. Ray makes a mean coconut pecan cake. And the fried okra is much better than what you usually get.

BradR
10-20-2008, 06:26 PM
i'll be sure to try them out next time we're up there

SouthsideSooner
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Darrell's a great guy, I hope he does well. I'll be sure and give it a try the next time I'm in Norman.

zrfdude
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Is that the joint that moved into the old Pizza Hut building? That place was PACKED the other day when I drove buy, apparently word of mouth spread quickly.

Dekoung
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
zr, that's the place. I live off Lindsey and drive by there all the time but have never seen it packed. The paper had an article this week and I imagine that brought out quite a few customers.

swh113
12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I had lunch there today. Not too busy and very good food.

BabyBoomerSooner
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Best of luck to him. It's probably tough opening up a new joint in this economy.

nik4411
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
yea my girlfriend and i had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and its pretty good. hope it sticks around.

ChargerAg
01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I found his place a couple of weeks ago and stopped eating at the other BBQ places since. Darrol certainly understands customer service.

danielf1935
01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Very good food and the service can't be matched!!!!!!!!!

While I find that JR's is also very good, I always try to support the small business whenever I can.

old okie
08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Went there today for the first time. We noticed that the restaurant was clean! Prices were reasonable; portions good, but have to say we both like Earl's [but only the one on N. Western] better for the bb sandwiches & the sauce, but the coconut pecan cake at Ray's was to die for! If we're in Norman and want bbq, that's where we'll go. Otherwise, we'll keep driving up to Earl's.

ChargerAg
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
sounds like he reopened. I went there a couple weeks ago and he had to close for a while becuase some drunk drove his car through the dining room.

Dekoung
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
No, it was not a drunk but an elderly woman who was a regular customer and lost control of her car. The Rays were very understanding and we should be too.

ChargerAg
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
thats what i get for listening to a person who heard from somebody what happened.

All I know is that I can get my tasty BBQ again.

blangtang
09-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I had some Ray's catered at a wedding reception for the first OU game.

My review:

Good stuff!

ddavidson8
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
For those of you too young to remember he is a former OU football player who later played for the Jets...

...coached the Texas Longhorns...:ou2:ou

MikeLucky
09-22-2009, 01:24 PM
...coached the Texas Longhorns...:ou2:ou

Whaaaaaaaa?????

I think you are confusing him for Darrell K. Royal.... who played at OU and then was the head coach at texas.... the stadium is named after him.... yes, the texas football stadium is named after an Okie and OU Sooner..... :LolLolLol