View Full Version : Half Price Bookstores/Whole Foods

Dekoung
10-12-2008, 01:26 PM
We went to the huge Half Price store on Loop 12 in Dallas this Friday and while there my husband spoke with a manager who told him that they will soon be in OKC and would have been sooner but another store already had the name and now that has been worked out. I love these stores and wish one would come to Norman also.

I was in Tulsa last week and spoke to a Whole Foods manager and she told me that OKC area will definitely be getting a WF in next year or so and they are actively looking for a location. I want one in Norman! :)

will77
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
That would be great if those two things actually happened. Those are both two things that I like books and whole foods.

metro
10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Great news if this pans out to be true!

southernskye
10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
It is true, at least for half price books. Go look at their website.

I still have my doubts about Whole Foods tho. It will be in Edmond or Norman if they build one here.

stickboy
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I can't seem to find anything on the Half Price Books website. Can you provide a link?

I ask this because several months ago I received an email from them telling me they had no plans to move into Oklahoma. I am very much hoping they have changed their mind.

citizenkane
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.halfpricebooks.com/pdf/cal08_stores-updated.pdf

southernskye
10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
oopps never mind he beat me to it

jbrown84
10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
My guess is they'll both go in the Quail Springs area.

okcustu
10-15-2008, 01:02 AM
i hope not
what kind of area is whole foods in tulsa in? utica area or woodland hills?

edcrunk
10-15-2008, 01:17 AM
i love half priced books. the above mentioned loop 12 location was my favorite. it's vinyl / record section used to rob me of hours and wads of cash.

I still have my doubts about Whole Foods tho. It will be in Edmond or Norman if they build one here.

why do you say that? the whole foods i use to shop at wasn't in a suburb and had been in it's location quite a while before any popped up in the burbs.
i'm with jbrown, i could see one around quail springs... or even downtown.

amylynn5656
10-15-2008, 07:14 AM
I have my doubts about downtown. Quail Springs seems more feasible.

I honestly don't care - I'd drive quite a ways to get to a WF!

Tex
10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I definitely could see Whole Foods going into the planned mixed use lifestyle center north of Quail Springs Mall. Lets just hope this plan turns into action.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8686-huge-mixed-used-project-proposed-north-quail-springs.html

foodiefan
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Whole Foods (nee Wild Oats) is in Brookside. . .41st and Peoria.

jbrown84
10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Southern end of Brookside, as it becomes more suburban.

And that's not a good comparison because Wild Oats put it there, not Whole Foods.

onthestrip
10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Im not sure I would put much into what the manager says their expansion plans are, not sure if he would be the most knowledgeable on the subject.

metro
10-16-2008, 07:35 AM
I definitely could see Whole Foods going into the planned mixed use lifestyle center north of Quail Springs Mall. Lets just hope this plan turns into action.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8686-huge-mixed-used-project-proposed-north-quail-springs.html

They quit working on this project months ago, I guess their financing was squeezed? I imagine now it will wait until after this financial storm settles.

HOT ROD
10-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Whole Foods could also be part of the Crown Heights 36th/I235 development, which would be the best location for the city's first store. IMO, WF should add one in Norman AND Edmond too, maybe smaller ones than the inner city store (which would be sort of a destination). Maybe a small one in the Yukon area in a few years out from there.

dismayed
10-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Anyone else seen Emeril Legasse's new show that airs on the network Planet Green called "Emeril Green?" He does all his shopping then prepares various meals from within a Whole Foods store.

jbrown84
10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Grant Humphreys has said the Crown Heights development will NOT have a whole foods. There's not room for it.

metro
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes HOT ROD, what jbrown said, Humphreys already confirmed it would not have a Whole Foods unfortunately. WF even said they would probably put a location in the burbs first if they ever relocate here. I imagine they will within 2 years or less, I'm guessing far NW OKC or Edmond area first. I believe it will be hugely successful and they will open additional stores.

bluedogok
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Most Whole Foods stores are in the burbs, there are two in Austin, their first "big" store is out north at 183 & 360 and is being moved to The Domain next year. The downtown location was opened a few years ago and their corporate HQ is in the building above it so they have the entire complex. I would venture to say that if they weren't based here, there wouldn't be one in downtown Austin.

southernskye
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Most Whole Foods stores are in the burbs, there are two in Austin, their first "big" store is out north at 183 & 360 and is being moved to The Domain next year. The downtown location was opened a few years ago and their corporate HQ is in the building above it so they have the entire complex. I would venture to say that if they weren't based here, there wouldn't be one in downtown Austin.

I'm not sure how long you have lived in Austin, but there has been a Whole foods in that same area for a long time. Before it was in its present location it was across the street in the same building as Book People. Before that it was on Lamar at either 9th or 10th street (fuzzy memory)
I think it was where Cheapo Discs is now.

bluedogok
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I know it's was where the REI/Book people is now but their HQ was in the office part of the building above them much like it is now. I don't think there would be one in Downtown Austin if it were not their HQ city. If you look at most of their locations outside the northeast, the majority of them are not in the CDB. Now they do have some in near downtown areas but none of the others in Texas are in downtown proper.

Dekoung
10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
True that the WF in Tulsa was acquired in the buyout of Wild Oats. They do a fantastic business without wine sales. I think this has proved to WF that in OK they do not have to sell wine to make a profit. I am a woman and got the cutest WF reuseable grocery bags there which say "I used to be a plastic bottle" and the colors are pretty and handles sturdy and they were 99cents each. I like them better than what I've seen in Norman stores. When they wear out they replace for free.

And perhaps the manager did not know if WF would come to OKC but she sounded pretty definite. She said they were impressed by the number of OKC area customers they had in the Tulsa store. I go there every time I'm in Tulsa and appears others do too. All this FWIW

progressiveboy
11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.halfpricebooks.com/pdf/cal08_stores-updated.pdf I justpulled up their Web site and it appears that the "Coming Soon" OKC has been removed? Hope they did not change their mind. Maybe due to the economy?

metro
11-01-2008, 03:26 PM
progressiveboy, OKC is still on there if you hit the link that says view all stores. It lists OKC as coming soon.

bluedogok
11-01-2008, 03:48 PM
When you click on the "Complete Store List" from the Store Locations page it brings up the PDF file in the quoted link and it is still on there.

progressiveboy
11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
progressiveboy, OKC is still on there if you hit the link that says view all stores. It lists OKC as coming soon. Thanks. I now see the complete store listing on the web. Thanks for the info.

southernskye
11-05-2008, 10:12 AM
From Twitter
wholefoods (http://twitter.com/wholefoods) To request a store in your area, email newstore.requests@wholefoods.com.
Stores in development for the next 2 years:Stores in Development | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/newstores.php)

and there isn't one listed for OKC

metro
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
southernskye, where does it say stores in development for the next 2 years? I didn't see that anywhere on there? These are stores probably under construction or soon to break ground, doesn't mean they aren't negotiating a lease in Oklahoma.

southernskye
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/3005453759_47358e81f2_o.jpg

If your on twitter, go follow whole foods it was on there this morning. That's exactly what it said as i just copied it from their feed.

seamless
11-27-2008, 10:13 PM
man thats so what we need a whole foods the earth just doenst cut it.. Im not sayin its worth the money but it is a great place to meet singles lets keep our fingers crossed. if it like a health food store, with books, and coffee if they could just add on a health club too lol id never leave.