View Full Version : John A Brown

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Doug Loudenback
05-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Earlier, grantgeneral78 asked when the Capitol Hill JAB closed, and my reply was:

This was covered in my John A. Brown's blog article ... Doug Dawgz Blog: John A. Brown's (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-browns.html)
While doing my Capitol Hill research, I've located some additional information and can be a little more precise.

A February 24, 1974, Oklahoman JAB ad read,

We will be open at our Capitol Hill store until late summer. We will close this store when our Crossroads store opens, which will better serve the majority of our customers in this area.
Although Crossroads Mall opened on February 3, 1974, its JAB store didn't open until 8/5/74.

Following the 2/24/74 ad, a few JAB ads appeared in the Oklahoman for the Capitol Hill store, the latest I could locate being 6/23/1974. In July, a few nostalgic articles about the closing of the downtown store appeared and in them it was noted that the downtown store would close its doors on Saturday, July 20, 1974, and that did happen, sadly shown by the July 21, 1974 picture (and related story) item below:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns_1974_07_21.jpg

Although the Capitol Hill store was not mentioned in those articles but since it had remained opened at least as of 6/23/1974, it's not unreasonable to speculate that the Capitol Hill store closed at the same time the downtown store did, given what the 2/24/74 JAB ad had said.

grantgeneral78
05-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for updating on that Doug, it just settled a long standing debate between me and a cousin, of course I will not go on to mention who was the correct one.

:boxing2:

papaOU
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Earlier, grantgeneral78 asked when the Capitol Hill JAB closed, and my reply was:

While doing my Capitol Hill research, I've located some additional information and can be a little more precise.

A February 24, 1974, Oklahoman JAB ad read,

Although Crossroads Mall opened on February 3, 1974, its JAB store didn't open until 8/5/74.

Following the 2/24/74 ad, a few JAB ads appeared in the Oklahoman for the Capitol Hill store, the latest I could locate being 6/23/1974. In July, a few nostalgic articles about the closing of the downtown store appeared and in them it was noted that the downtown store would close its doors on Saturday, July 20, 1974, and that did happen, sadly shown by the July 21, 1974 picture (and related story) item below:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns_1974_07_21.jpg

Although the Capitol Hill store was not mentioned in those articles but since it had remained opened at least as of 6/23/1974, it's not unreasonable to speculate that the Capitol Hill store closed at the same time the downtown store did, given what the 2/24/74 JAB ad had said.

By looking at this guys suit coat or sport coat it's obvious why they closed. Selling such horrendus items.

Generals64
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
By looking at this guys suit coat or sport coat it's obvious why they closed. Selling such horrendus items.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
your crazy, that was definitely in style...You were probably still wearing the Buster Brown outfit...Right?????

Doug Loudenback
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
your crazy, that was definitely in style...You were probably still wearing the Buster Brown outfit...Right?????
Ha, I suppose that you had problems with his dog, Tige, too. :numchucks

papaOU
05-31-2009, 05:03 PM

More like tie dye and OD.

One of the things I am proud of is that "style" has never had a big impact on me.

And that guys jacket reinforces my disdain for style.

papaOU
05-31-2009, 05:15 PM

You're just jealous because all you had was the "cowboy" wall paper! You laid awake at night hoping one day:

Generals64
05-31-2009, 05:52 PM
You're just jealous because all you had was the "cowboy" wall paper! You laid awake at night hoping one day:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah but the cowboy dream came through for me...I just can't visualize you with the Blonde Page Boy haircut and "Boxer" dog following you around. I can see it all you with a Velvet little suit, a bow tie and a path of saddle oxfords. Sheesh, I guess I could bring my Saddle to the next meeting or one of our horses. And you, the dog Tige?????See ya next time:................

papaOU
05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah but the cowboy dream came through for me...I just can't visualize you with the Blonde Page Boy haircut and "Boxer" dog following you around. I can see it all you with a Velvet little suit, a bow tie and a path of saddle oxfords. Sheesh, I guess I could bring my Saddle to the next meeting or one of our horses. And you, the dog Tige?????See ya next time:................

Have you thought about a Papal Dispensation for your cowboy problem?

Prunepicker
05-31-2009, 10:19 PM
More like tie dye and OD.
One of the things I am proud of is that "style" has never had a big impact on
me.
And that guys jacket reinforces my disdain for style.
What, exactly, is style? I'm not sure what it is. In the early 70's, in New
Orleans, they told me it was bell bottoms and a Moo Moo looking thing, I
wore them until some guy asked me for a date. Talk about culture shock.

I'm going back to sleep, unless Mom tells me to stay awake. I think she's too
busy making plans to be gone until May of 2010.

Mom is very smart.

papaOU
06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
What, exactly, is style? I'm not sure what it is. In the early 70's, in New
Orleans, they told me it was bell bottoms and a Moo Moo looking thing, I
wore them until some guy asked me for a date. Talk about culture shock.

I'm going back to sleep, unless Mom tells me to stay awake. I think she's too
busy making plans to be gone until May of 2010.

Mom is very smart.

If I could get them I would still wear bell bottoms. Elephant bells.

They go good with Indian cotton shirts. Have 3 of those.......

If you got asked out by a "man" in Orleans it probably has no criteria concerning your sex.

Was he good looking?
Did he have money?

Answer the second question first.

Prunepicker
06-03-2009, 01:09 AM
If I could get them I would still wear bell bottoms. Elephant bells.

They go good with Indian cotton shirts. Have 3 of those...

If you got asked out by a "man" in Orleans it probably has no criteria
concerning your sex.

Was he good looking?
Did he have money?

Answer the second question first.

Have you tried Sam's surplus? They have plenty of ridiculous looking
clothes. Mainly because I'm broke!

Yes, he had money.
No, he was ugly.

I ran as fast as I could!

Mardi Gras was a real eye opener. I have no plans to return. It's been
40 years, and I ain't goin' back! No Way!

Easy Rider ain't got nothing on me.

I know. I was there. In fact, I spent a month there one week and Mom
still doesn't know about it.

papaOU
06-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Know people who have lived in Louisiana all thier life and have never been to Mardi Gras.

Yakimono
06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh my goodness...I can't believe I'm reading about John A Browns on this website! My grandmother worked for the downtown JAB for many many years. I can remember going there to get fitted for my first bra (redface glowing now). I also purchased all of my girl scout uniforms there. I remember going there on Saturday's when my grandmother was off work and having a soda and blt at the cafeteria. Then we would shop. And Christmas downtown!!! What a wonderful memory. Brown's always had the best Santa Clause. What in the world happened to those wonderful wonderful days! I miss them so, as do I miss my grandmother.

grantgeneral78
06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh my goodness...I can't believe I'm reading about John A Browns on this website! My grandmother worked for the downtown JAB for many many years. I can remember going there to get fitted for my first bra (redface glowing now). I also purchased all of my girl scout uniforms there. I remember going there on Saturday's when my grandmother was off work and having a soda and blt at the cafeteria. Then we would shop. And Christmas downtown!!! What a wonderful memory. Brown's always had the best Santa Clause. What in the world happened to those wonderful wonderful days! I miss them so, as do I miss my grandmother.

Yeah I think Browns was pretty special to a bunch of us, great story Yakimono

papaOU
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Keep comin' back! We always have stories about companies now gone that were in Capitol Hill and Downtown

Generals64
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Keep comin' back! We always have stories about companies now gone that were in Capitol Hill and Downtown

i HAD FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT there being a cafeteria in JAB down town....What store (maybe Doug knows) was just to the East of JAB in down town OKC. Wasn't Emmers in there some where. Bear with my folks, I've got the FLU and the Lady General is keeping me "Drugged Out". I told her to get hold of PapaOU and he was a good doctor....didn't work...Feel Miserable...However, My youngest son is getting married..... woo-hoo and, the girl is as cute as they come...Very proud father-in - law to be....well, I think I'll see you later....Funny pills the dr. gave me.....

gen70
06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I used to have a Brown's credit card back in the 70's. It was the only credit card I have ever owned.

striipidy
06-29-2009, 03:10 PM
He made a lot of money because we were not allowed taps at school but everyone, the "cool" people wore them anyway and got them pulled off at school. Just go after school and get new ones.............

My cobbler found an old pair of the horseshoe taps and put them on some shoes of mine. I have them about two weeks and have almost fallen down in them. They're more dangerous than platforms.

papaOU
06-29-2009, 05:13 PM
My cobbler found an old pair of the horseshoe taps and put them on some shoes of mine. I have them about two weeks and have almost fallen down in them. They're more dangerous than platforms.

That's why they would not let us wear them at school. So they said. There were some who wore the big front taps that came up over the bottom of the sole of the shoe and covered the front of the sole. Needless to say there were many who got these for fighting purposes.
I have mentioned before that some I went to school with were intent on doing more than beat you up, they wanted to hurt you. Saw one guy who had to be restrained because when he knocked his opponent down he began to kick the poor guy in the face and head. Poor fellow was kicked until he became unconscious and he was a bloody pulp. And this happened in jr. high. Wonder what kind of man the tap wearer became.

USG '60
06-29-2009, 05:27 PM
That's why they would not let us wear them at school. So they said. There were some who wore the big front taps that came up over the bottom of the sole of the shoe and covered the front of the sole. Needless to say there were many who got these for fighting purposes.
I have mentioned before that some I went to school with were intent on doing more than beat you up, they wanted to hurt you. Saw one guy who had to be restrained because when he knocked his opponent down he began to kick the poor guy in the face and head. Poor fellow was kicked until he became unconscious and he was a bloody pulp. And this happened in jr. high. Wonder what kind of man the tap wearer became.

Are we talking Foy S?

rondvu
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Just found this for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=330344039216

Doug Loudenback
07-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Couldn't get the link to load, rondvu ... what is it?

rondvu
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Doug,

It's a leather case with a paper credit card. John A Brown is embossed on the outside of the leather case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Metal-Credit-Card-John-A-Brown-Oklahoma-City_W0QQitemZ330344039216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4cea0a0330&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1| 294%3A200

USG '60
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Doug,

It's a leather case with a paper credit card. John A Brown is embossed on the outside of the leather case.

Vintage Metal Credit Card~ John A Brown ~Oklahoma City - eBay (item 330344039216 end time Jul-18-09 18:44:03 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Metal-Credit-Card-John-A-Brown-Oklahoma-City_W0QQitemZ330344039216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4cea0a0330&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1| 294%3A200)

I still have my mom's and it is exactly like that. :tiphat:

papaOU
07-14-2009, 12:10 AM
I still have my mom's and it is exactly like that. :tiphat:

It's up to $30.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

kevinpate
07-14-2009, 04:35 AM
wonder if there's any kinship to Senator Tom

Generals64
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
wonder if there's any kinship to Senator Tom

################################################## ########
Senator Tom Coburn???Saw an old John A. Brown ad the other day...Doug it's yours if I can get it traded for....

Doug Loudenback
08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
################################################## ########
Senator Tom Coburn???Saw an old John A. Brown ad the other day...Doug it's yours if I can get it traded for....
... for ... WHAT? :ohno:

Generals64
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
... for ... WHAT? :ohno:

44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444
i HAVE A LOT OF JUNK IN MY WAREHOUSES...PEOPLE LIKE TO TRADE...I got you an old International Farm Tractor magazine....probably early forties...plenty of info....Want a Penn Square Bank Bag?????I got one.....it's in the car right now.....

papaOU
08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
The August 19, 1949 edition of the Capitol Hill Beacon runs an ad featuring Martha Richards as a Campus Counselor, ready to advise students and parents as to styles being worn at college.

August 26, 1949-Barbara Riddle writes a feature about Martha Richards, senior at Oklahoma A&M who is a Campus Counselor for John A. Brown.

zachtaylor alum
09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Doug Loudenback

It is hard to imagine a more "fun place to shop" than the John A. Brown Department store, generally between Harvey & Robinson on the West and East, and between Park Avenue and Main on the North and South. Various older buildings had been interconnected and sort of "strung together". Shopping was a delight.

It was an amazing store, with the alley between departments and the mezzanine with a place where you could sit and read books or magazines between the floors. There were elevator operators who told you what was sold on each floor. And the Anna Maude cafeteria in that building was so good.

But JAB also had segregated restrooms, water fountains, and a lunch counter that only served white people in the Jim Crow era.

Doug Loudenback
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Quite right, zachtaylor.

skyrick
09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
My Uncle Bill, a.k.a. William P. Long, designed the window displays for the Downtown store in the '50s through the middle '60s. He went all out for the Christmas windows. I don't remember anything specific, but every time I see the scene in "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie and his buddies have their faces pressed against the window at Higbee's, I smile and remember Uncle Bill.

Rick

dogw00d
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I would love to hear stories, jingles and or pictures of the John A Brown department store that was located in Oklahoma City. I have two postcards that were sent by Della Brown from London and Paris trip in 1963. I remember the familar John A Brown and Company gift boxes. I also have a bridal book from the store, very intresting indeed.

GREATAMERICAparks.com: miscellaneous audio (http://www.greatamericaparks.com/temp/audio.html)

mine was the one in Capital Hill . Got my first credit card there.. still have it. small metal like a dogtag, but had a brown plastic sleeve to keep it in.

happyday
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I interviewed for my first job at the downtown John A Brown's. They assigned me to the Penn Square store as a window dresser. I was then drafted into the military and had to leave Brown's for Uncle Sam (the Viet Nam thing).

Many years earlier, my mother would take me shopping at the downtown Brown's (rather than hiring a babysitter). My reward for going with her? A so-called strawberry soda in the basement, at the counter at the downtown Brown's. Yum!!

Doug Loudenback
01-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Last week I got an email from a fellow in Boise, Idaho ... he's involved with a medallion and token group and the collection includes the following:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns1953penny1.jpg http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns1953penny2.jpg

He thought it was from Okc's Browns but he had no hard evidence of that. I did locate ads in 1953 Oklahomans which showed the phone numbers on the coin, downtown & Capitol Hill store phone numbers.

Anyone got one of these?

Generals64
01-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Last week I got an email from a fellow in Boise, Idaho ... he's involved with a medallion and token group and the collection includes the following:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns1953penny1.jpg http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns1953penny2.jpg

He thought it was from Okc's Browns but he had no hard evidence of that. I did locate ads in 1953 Oklahomans which showed the phone numbers on the coin, downtown & Capitol Hill store phone numbers.

Anyone got one of these?

================================================== ==================
I don't have one but I do remember them giving them (the coins) out for a promotion St. Patrick's day of maybe the opening of the Capitol Hill store if you look, the date is 1953 and you might check the back advertising....But, the Phone numbers were CE (Central) and ME (Melrose) downtown and Capitol Hill..... We missed you Saturday....

Doug Loudenback
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Bob. I'd been to a funeral and I was just generally tired. I'll make the next one. Pretty interesting email exchange with the guy from Boise ... when he was a kid growing up in a small town in Idaho, apparently he and his friends always tuned into KOMA at night.

papaOU
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Bob. I'd been to a funeral and I was just generally tired. I'll make the next one. Pretty interesting email exchange with the guy from Boise ... when he was a kid growing up in a small town in Idaho, apparently he and his friends always tuned into KOMA at night.

And now it is talk radio........

Generals64
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That stuff was quite the novelty back then....There was another company did the same thing....Not Anthony's but someone like that....Going to drive me crazy until I figure this one out.......I have a Medallion collection that guy would probably go crazy over....Everytime LBJ did something of significance they (the government) would strike a medallion...I have one of all of them....Have a friend that was his personal Secret Service Guy. I got a Ronson Butane lighter with the presidential seal and all kinds of other stuff....The neatest one is a Crystal bird signed by Lady Bird that my wife got when Our first son was born...

jdcf
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
The John A Brown link is a great find.

When we were young, going to shop downtown was always a big treat that included Rothschild's and Brown's followed by either Anna Maude or the Forum cafeteria.

I saw my first, and perhaps only, sit in at the John A Brown snack bar.

Yes, the John A Brown elevator operator and the bells that I guess summoned the need for help... One time we heard the bell sounds and my cousin asked who was playiing the organ.

Thanks all for the fond memories.

rondvu
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
ebay has an old JAB charge a plate for sale
Oklahoma City/Oklahoma Vintage Charge Credit Card/Plate - eBay (item 360235768215 end time Feb-24-10 20:00:05 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma-Vintage-Charge-Credit-Card-Plate_W0QQitemZ360235768215QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item53dfb99997)