View Full Version : John A Brown

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Generals64
03-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I hope you're talking about a gift from Kerr's, not TG&Y. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah but I worked for TG&Y for so long she got quite a few gifts from T.G.& Y.
Man, I miss the Variety store business.....Read making of a merchant if you get a chance...

papaOU
03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I might be repeating earlier material but here it is. There was a John A. Brown's in Capitol Hill. Outside what were the front doors is the name of the store in stone. It has been renovated and houses government offices. Could be city, county, state or all 3. An office for RX Oklahoma is there on the second floor. The business adjacent on the east side was J. C. Penny's, an alley and a large church. Might be Capitol Hill Baptist.

The business adjacent to Brown's on the west side was Langston's. They had a "seconds" department in their basement. Used to be the place to get Levi's cheap. Adjacent to Langston's west side was Katz Drug. The sidewalk in front of that building is custom also. Don't know if just the name Katz or if the Katz figure is there.

To the west across Hudson from Katz was the S. H. Kress store. It also had a basement.

Straight south across Commerce from Katz Drug was OTASCO. Adjacent east of OTASCO was Jack and Jill's (Children Clothes) I think it was the last "old time" store to go out of business.

There are other's I remember but not in sequence as above. If I were to go up there and look I could.

striipidy
03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah but I worked for TG&Y for so long she got quite a few gifts from T.G.& Y.
Man, I miss the Variety store business.....Read making of a merchant if you get a chance...

That was a good read. I am hoping to find it on Amazon one fine day. I do miss TG&Y. Never really liked McCrory's or that terrible Bargain Time. They sold used book. USED BOOKS of all things.

So, was that Kerr's set up like Reding with seconds and off-season merch? I don't suppose you ever went to the Kerr's Uptown over on NW 24th, did you?

striipidy
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I might be repeating earlier material but here it is. There was a John A. Brown's in Capitol Hill. Outside what were the front doors is the name of the store in stone. It has been renovated and houses government offices. Could be city, county, state or all 3. An office for RX Oklahoma is there on the second floor. The business adjacent on the east side was J. C. Penny's, an alley and a large church. Might be Capitol Hill Baptist.

The business adjacent to Brown's on the west side was Langston's. They had a "seconds" department in their basement. Used to be the place to get Levi's cheap. Adjacent to Langston's west side was Katz Drug. The sidewalk in front of that building is custom also. Don't know if just the name Katz or if the Katz figure is there.

To the west across Hudson from Katz was the S. H. Kress store. It also had a basement.

Straight south across Commerce from Katz Drug was OTASCO. Adjacent east of OTASCO was Jack and Jill's (Children Clothes) I think it was the last "old time" store to go out of business.

There are other's I remember but not in sequence as above. If I were to go up there and look I could.

Thanks for that info. I need to get a pic of that Katz sidewalk. I have an old photo my mom & an friend took in a photo booth at that Katz. Funny, she can't remember anything about any old store, but she can recall talking a booth photo in 1955.

Generals64
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------
That Kress store was built in 1965...the old one was further down the street. Don't forget Mr. Buck's, and then Emmer Brother's.....

Generals64
03-27-2009, 09:15 PM
That was a good read. I am hoping to find it on Amazon one fine day. I do miss TG&Y. Never really liked McCrory's or that terrible Bargain Time. They sold used book. USED BOOKS of all things.

So, was that Kerr's set up like Reding with seconds and off-season merch? I don't suppose you ever went to the Kerr's Uptown over on NW 24th, did you?
Store shopping was sort of a requirement when working in the Family Center program with TG&Y...The Shepherd Mall store was a first class act...I try not to think about McCrory's or Bargain Time...If you are coming tomorrow let me know and I'll bring Mr. Young's copy of the book...Iknow it's sentimental but it was his personal copy. I went to see him about 4 months before he passed away and he signed the book and gave it to me. If you want a copy there are some old TG&Y people with extras.... there is a TG&Y reunion of a bunch of the OLD FOLKS (tongue in cheek) coming up. I'm sure there would be a lot of those people could tell you many retail stories from around the OKC area. You did know that David Green (Hobby Lobby) was an old TG&Y Store manager didn't you????

striipidy
03-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Store shopping was sort of a requirement when working in the Family Center program with TG&Y...The Shepherd Mall store was a first class act...I try not to think about McCrory's or Bargain Time...If you are coming tomorrow let me know and I'll bring Mr. Young's copy of the book...Iknow it's sentimental but it was his personal copy. I went to see him about 4 months before he passed away and he signed the book and gave it to me. If you want a copy there are some old TG&Y people with extras.... there is a TG&Y reunion of a bunch of the OLD FOLKS (tongue in cheek) coming up. I'm sure there would be a lot of those people could tell you many retail stories from around the OKC area. You did know that David Green (Hobby Lobby) was an old TG&Y Store manager didn't you????

Really? Where can I find these people? And what is happening tomorrow that I should go to?
Keep me informed about that reunion, too. I'll give you my email.

Generals64
03-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Really? Where can I find these people? And what is happening tomorrow that I should go to?
Keep me informed about that reunion, too. I'll give you my email.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, read the southside thread...Every month a bunch of us meet at Coit's Drive-Inn for lunch at about 1:30...Lots of memories and lots of tall tales....But, everyone there has something that would probably help you.....

Prunepicker
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey, read the southside thread... Every month a bunch of us meet at Coit's
Drive-Inn for lunch at about 1:30... Lots of memories and lots of tall tales...
But, everyone there has something that would probably help you...
Emphasis on the tall tales...

papaOU
03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Emphasis on the tall tales...

It is better to have "tall tales'' than "broad tales". Does that make sense?

striipidy
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Was the Brown-Dunkin in Tulsa as fondly remembered as Brown's in OKC?

rondvu
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, indeed. I have a series of books called Beautiful homes of Tulsa. There is an intresting article of the Brown Duncan stores. There is also information on OTASCO as well.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
It is better to have "tall tales'' than "broad tales". Does that make sense?

Only if you're talking about women. If that's the case, hush yo' mouth!

My brain still hurts from the last time I brought it up. Prunette can swing a
mean fryin' pan.

papaOU
04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Only if you're talking about women. If that's the case, hush yo' mouth!

My brain still hurts from the last time I brought it up. Prunette can swing a
mean fryin' pan.

But can she cook?

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
But can she cook?

Oh yeah!

She can bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy...

Man, I learned that song at Heronville back in 195...

grantgeneral78
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
who was the original owners of Browns? what was the wifes name?

Generals64
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
who was the original owners of Browns? what was the wifes name?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. and Mrs. Brown

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Brown
Maybe they just lived together and used that name?? Sounds kinda' fishy anyway, John Brown, Joe Blow, Jane Doe, ya' just never know! It was actually John A. Brown's, do you remember what the "A" stood for???? I'm waiting with baited breath for the intelligent reply to this one!!

Generals64
04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Maybe they just lived together and used that name?? Sounds kinda' fishy anyway, John Brown, Joe Blow, Jane Doe, ya' just never know! It was actually John A. Brown's, do you remember what the "A" stood for???? I'm waiting with baited breath for the intelligent reply to this one!!
Don't know, but I remember Johnny Mack Brown.....B movie Star....

grantgeneral78
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I am going to say ALBERT

rondvu
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
It was John Brown and his wife Della Dunkin-Brown,they were the 1st owners then the stores were sold to Dayton Hudson. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

striipidy
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Does anyone remember the older Brown's stores (or even Kerr's or Halliburton's) having elevator operators?

striipidy
04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
It was John Brown and his wife Della Dunkin-Brown,they were the 1st owners then the stores were sold to Dayton Hudson. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Sort of. After Della dies, the store passed to 4 trustees. They sold to Dayton-Hudson just a few years afterwards.

papaOU
04-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone remember the older Brown's stores (or even Kerr's or Halliburton's) having elevator operators?

Yes! The one in Capitol Hill had women operators. It seems that that wore some type of uniform or at least jacket or coat.

Generals64
04-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Hey guy, I remember the Elevator operators at the Capitol Hill Brown's store...The lady had Grey (silver in some ways) hair in a bun and a consistent Frown on her Face.....She couldn't take a joke at all even if you put a fake mouse under her little stool.....(she took it away and snitched to my mom...)

striipidy
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Awwww. A gal after my own heart! :)

papaOU
04-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey guy, I remember the Elevator operators at the Capitol Hill Brown's store...The lady had Grey (silver in some ways) hair in a bun and a consistent Frown on her Face.....She couldn't take a joke at all even if you put a fake mouse under her little stool.....(she took it away and snitched to my mom...)

That's her!! She didn't take the posting of MAD Magazine stickers very well. Anyone else remember those? Did anyone else post them?

SE-76
04-19-2009, 01:05 AM

down town okc i remember as having elevatirs. penn square escalators/
capital hill remember stairs fuzzy on it having elevators.

Generals64
04-19-2009, 12:50 PM
down town okc i remember as having elevatirs. penn square escalators/
capital hill remember stairs fuzzy on it having elevators.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Capitol Hill store, the stairs were facing the street as you walked in...Under the stairwell, was where all of the cub/Girl/Boy Scouts paraphenalia was located....The elevators were on the east side of the building....Probably still there...I think that some OKC public use is used in that building along with the Penny's building. I went to school with a guy that worked there during high school and I am trying to locate him.....he could probably tell us things that no one would remember. Another business that is gone form OKC>>>>>Scrivner...Anyone remember them and where they were originally and who was the original partner????Carltonskeeper should if he'll ever get back from vacation.....

papaOU
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
The toughest department to work in at Browns was the shoe department. Very slim sales for anyone working there.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
HMMMMM.........I bought lots of shoes from Brown's in Capitol Hill and a few from Street's in Reding. I really miss Streets

papaOU
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
The toughest department to work in at Browns was the shoe department. Very slim sales for anyone working there.

Do you know the reason for this Prunepicker?

Prunepicker
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Do you know the reason for this Prunepicker?

Because all women wear size 3 A shoes.

papaOU
04-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Oh Prune! I'm disapointed. Thought you would get this right away.

John A. Brown shoe department sold few items because:

Brown shoes don't make it
Brown Shoes don't make it
Quit school, why fake it

TV dinner by the pool
Watch your brother grow a beard
Got another year of school
You're okay, he's too weird
Be a plummer
He's a bummer
He's a bummer every summer
Be a loyal plastic robot
For a world that doesn't care
That's right

Smile at every ugly
Shine on your shoes and cut your hair...........

Tell Prunett to get the skillet out and add color to that bald noggin...........

Generals64
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh Prune! I'm disapointed. Thought you would get this right away.

John A. Brown shoe department sold few items because:

Brown Shoes don't make it
Quit school, why fake it

TV dinner by the pool
Watch your brother grow a beard
Got another year of school
You're okay, he's too weird
Be a plummer
He's a bummer
He's a bummer every summer
Be a loyal plastic robot
For a world that doesn't care
That's right

Smile at every ugly
Shine on your shoes and cut your hair...........

Tell Prunett to get the skillet out and add color to that bald noggin...........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you talking about???

papaOU
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you talking about???

The lyrics are from a song made in the mid-'60's titled "Brown Shoes"

"Why were shoe sales always slow at John A. Brown?"
Because Brown Shoes don't make it.

I say...........I say...........It's a joke son.....It's a joke...........:butbutbut

Generals64
04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
The lyrics are from a song made in the mid-'60's titled "Brown Shoes"

"Why were shoe sales always slow at John A. Brown?"
Because Brown Shoes don't make it.

I say...........I say...........It's a joke son.....It's a joke...........:butbutbut
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????

OH!!!!RIGHT...Capitol Hill Humor huh????

rondvu
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
This is why shoes were hard to sell at Brown's.

YouTube - who's minding the store part 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbQIBMonD0)

papaOU
04-23-2009, 12:28 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????

OH!!!!RIGHT...Capitol Hill Humor huh????

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are Capitol Hill Humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep posting.......... :Welcome:

I'm sure I have plenty more..........

papaOU
04-23-2009, 12:31 AM
This is why shoes were hard to sell at Brown's.

YouTube - who's minding the store part 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbQIBMonD0)

HEY! That's my Mom.................... :omg:

Or is that my Dad on one of is dress up days?????????????

phinzup
04-28-2009, 10:57 AM
he could probably tell us things that no one would remember. Another business that is gone form OKC>>>>>Scrivner...Anyone remember them and where they were originally and who was the original partner????Carltonskeeper should if he'll ever get back from vacation.....

Scrivner-Boogart.....Reno St. between Western and Penn. Fleming bought them sometime in the early 90's IIRC.....

Generals64
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Was in capitol Hill today and noticed the old John A. Brown's sign is still shining on their old building.....You can't put a good retailer down....

papaOU
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Was in capitol Hill today and noticed the old John A. Brown's sign is still shining on their old building.....You can't put a good retailer down....

Did you go inside? It's really nice. There is a winding stairway about midway on the west side. I don't remember that being there but I don't think they added it when remodeling ethier.

Anyone remember?

Generals64
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you go inside? It's really nice. There is a winding stairway about midway on the west side. I don't remember that being there but I don't think they added it when remodeling ethier.

Anyone remember?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember a Stairway in the building as the Boy/Girl Scout stuff was at the bottom of the Stairway. Bought my Pine Box Derby car there...Never did any good but, when my oldest boy had one we won....enough said....See ya later today...

grantgeneral78
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Is the escalator still in there?

papaOU
05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
As mentioned in our monthly meeting the closing of Brown's was hardly noticed by the Capitol Hill group. Although my family was not "poor" most of our clothes shopping was done at Langston's, in the basement where they sold seconds (slightly flawed) items for a lower price. I am not sure of the spelling but Levine's was another clothing store. There was a C.R. Anthony's on the Hill but I always remember going to the one in Reding Square for some reason and that was seldom. For upper-end clothing there was Sears on 44th and Western.
One store I'll throw in here but was opened when I was a teen was Jeans West. They had a small store on the south side of commerce next to the Capitol Hill Bus Depot.

Generals64
05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
the Levine's in Reding was not the same as the Levine's in capitol Hill. the Levines in Reding was a national chain that is still in business on the eastern Sea board....The Levine's in Capitol Hill was owned by the Levine family of OKC...The three sons were named Tommy, Bobby and Al...they are still around as far as I know.

papaOU
05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
the Levine's in Reding was not the same as the Levine's in capitol Hill. the Levines in Reding was a national chain that is still in business on the eastern Sea board....The Levine's in Capitol Hill was owned by the Levine family of OKC...The three sons were named Tommy, Bobby and Al...they are still around as far as I know.

I didn't even know there was a Levine's in Reding. Just the Capitol Hill store. When I was growing-up the Levine family lived on the northwest corner of 24th and Hudson.

At one time there were Levine stores in Arizona.

Generals64
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I didn't even know there was a Levine's in Reding. Just the Capitol Hill store. When I was growing-up the Levine family lived on the northwest corner of 24th and Hudson.

At one time there were Levine stores in Arizona.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Levine Chain was up and down both coasts...they were not part of the Levine's in Capitol Hill. Levine's chain was a middle to low priced clothing...they didn't make it in Oklahoma. I knew the Levine boys very well and I remember buying my school clothes there except for my Levi's. I opted for the better shoes (wing-tipped Wedges) and then went to buy the 2nds in Levi's from Langstons....Do you guys remember the Jeans Tuf-Nut or Penny's famous Buckhide Blue Jeans....one size fitted NO ONE.....Another Story later on. See ya Next time:.....Generals64...

papaOU
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Levine Chain was up and down both coasts...they were not part of the Levine's in Capitol Hill. Levine's chain was a middle to low priced clothing...they didn't make it in Oklahoma. I knew the Levine boys very well and I remember buying my school clothes there except for my Levi's. I opted for the better shoes (wing-tipped Wedges) and then went to buy the 2nds in Levi's from Langstons....Do you guys remember the Jeans Tuf-Nut or Penny's famous Buckhide Blue Jeans....one size fitted NO ONE.....Another Story later on. See ya Next time:.....Generals64...

I knew the AZ stores were not associated to the Levine's here. Did the boys try to keep the CH store open? I remember the Tuf-Nut but not the Buckhide Jeans. Probably because they were sold by Penny's.

Can't remember the name of his store, but did you ever take shoes to be resoled or new heels put on at the shoe store on Commerce across the street from the church? I know you at least went there to get taps put on.........

Prunepicker
05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
the Levine's in Redding was not the same as the Levine's in capitol Hill. the
Levines in Redding was a national chain that is still in business on the eastern
Sea board... The Levine's in Capitol Hill was owned by the Levine family of
OKC... The three sons were named Tommy, Bobby and Al... they are still
around as far as I know.

Gen64, is there nothing you don't know? I would have never thought twice
about Levine's.

Do you remember the toy store in the south end of Redding and around the
back? Pa Prune took us there a few times. They had everything including
the amazing Pitch Back. Being a nut case Baseball player, who was never
successfully picked up by the Dodgers, I loved that place. However, It was
second to 3-D Athletic!

papaOU
05-19-2009, 01:15 AM
I must confess as to why I hardly ever went into Brown's. Once inside with all those counters and displays reminded me of those 50's and 60's musicals and I wanted to leap from counter to counter singing. Open cash registers with my toes as customers and employees joined in the festivities. Throw clothing and merchandise all around........

Mrs. Brown had a close relationship with Clara Luper but I don't think she would buddy up to me after doing that.

To end I would leap into the elevator!!!! Ain't life grand?

Generals64
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Gen64, is there nothing you don't know? I would have never thought twice
about Levine's.

Do you remember the toy store in the south end of Redding and around the
back? Pa Prune took us there a few times. They had everything including
the amazing Pitch Back. Being a nut case Baseball player, who was never
successfully picked up by the Dodgers, I loved that place. However, It was
second to 3-D Athletic!

Yes, the name of the Toy Store Was Doncene's I really hated it when they went out of business. Even at a young age I attempted to buy them out....Not even enough pop bottles to trade....Lots of models and they were even competitive with TG&Y at the time......

Generals64
05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I knew the AZ stores were not associated to the Levine's here. Did the boys try to keep the CH store open? I remember the Tuf-Nut but not the Buckhide Jeans. Probably because they were sold by Penny's.

Can't remember the name of his store, but did you ever take shoes to be resoled or new heels put on at the shoe store on Commerce across the street from the church? I know you at least went there to get taps put on.........
When we would get NEW Wing tip Wedges we would NOT wear them out of the store until Mr. Brown had nailed on Continentals and Horse Shoe Taps...Gosh what we were thinking?????I don't remember the name of the store but the Shoe man was Mr. Brown....Seem to have been a nice Blacksmith...you know, Horseshoe taps......

Generals64
05-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Sorry,......Bobby and Tommy Levine attempted to keep the store opened but they just didn't have the drive that the old man had. Al , however opened a place called Cycle World on south shields. He was the first in this part of the country to bring in a motorcycle called Kawasaki. We sold them at TG&Y and seemed to have done pretty good with them.........Tommy and Bobby ended up with some lawn mower shops and I think Bobby's son still has one. I also think all three of the boys are still around.......

papaOU
05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
When we would get NEW Wing tip Wedges we would NOT wear them out of the store until Mr. Brown had nailed on Continentals and Horse Shoe Taps...Gosh what we were thinking?????I don't remember the name of the store but the Shoe man was Mr. Brown....Seem to have been a nice Blacksmith...you know, Horseshoe taps......

He made a lot of money because we were not allowed taps at school but everyone, the "cool" people wore them anyway and got them pulled off at school. Just go after school and get new ones.............

Generals64
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
He made a lot of money because we were not allowed taps at school but everyone, the "cool" people wore them anyway and got them pulled off at school. Just go after school and get new ones.............
You are so right. they didn't care about the continental taps it was the horseshoe taps because we would slide down the hall and tear up the tile.
It cost twenty-five cents for new horseshoes....Cool one more time...then they started "Busting" your rear if you were caught the second time....not so much fun after that....

Prunepicker
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
You are so right. they didn't care about the continental taps it was the
horseshoe taps because we would slide down the hall and tear up the tile.

It cost twenty-five cents for new horseshoes... Cool one more time...then
they started "Busting" your rear if you were caught the second time... not so
much fun after that...

I was a neglected child. I wanted taps so bad that I wished the bus driver
would make a big mistake and drop me off at Loveless. I had the quarter!
But, and it's a big but, I never made it to Loveless to have the taps put on.

USG '60
05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
A million jaws dropped when I showed up in 1960 wearing that whole rig. I was not shamed out of wearing them but I did NOT buy a new pair for my sophomore year. Jumped straight into beatnickhood. The NEW Cool, ya know. :Smiley181

papaOU
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
You are so right. they didn't care about the continental taps it was the horseshoe taps because we would slide down the hall and tear up the tile.
It cost twenty-five cents for new horseshoes....Cool one more time...then they started "Busting" your rear if you were caught the second time....not so much fun after that....

I got so many swats one more for taps was no big deal.

My metalwork teacher had a classmate and I come to the front of the class after he took attendance. Purpose; Give both of us one swat each.
Reason: Making sure we didn't get away with anything while his back was turned.
Drawback: If he caught us doing something we got a swat.