View Full Version : Denny's @ 62nd & N. May - Closed

OKCTalker
10-08-2008, 08:59 PM
So who knows what's going on?

ssandedoc
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM
And the one in Chickasha & Norman are closed as well.

Thunder
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Effects of the economic crisis?

Luke
10-09-2008, 06:55 AM
I say we bailout Denny's.

Call your congressman.

OKCTalker
10-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Denny Hastert?

Pete
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Probably a local franchisee having financial problems.

I know Denny's is actually trying to sell some of it's corporately-owned restaurants to franchisees, so they must be having troubles nationally.

Jon27
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I say we bailout Denny's.

Call your congressman.

Screw AIG, we need pancakes!

Pete
10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
That Denny's building is owned by the investment group out of Houston that also owns that entire shopping center on the SWC of 63rd & May.

I'm sure if Denny's is closed for good they'll find another tenant pretty quickly.

bluedogok
10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I spent a few hours there after Confetti's/The Zoo/The Plum and Charlie's closed for the night.....

bornhere
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm sure if Denny's is closed for good they'll find another tenant pretty quickly.

Is there a Jimmy's Egg anywhere nearby?

kevinpate
10-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Hmmm, more and more I-Hops keep springing up and then Denny's begin to close.
I just adore co-inkie-dinks

scootinger
10-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Maybe we should declare them as historical landmarks? ;)

Denny?s as Historical Landmark | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com (http://www.newsweek.com/id/116775)

jstanthrnme
10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe we should declare them as historical landmarks? ;)

Denny?s as Historical Landmark | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com (http://www.newsweek.com/id/116775)

I looked further into that article, and that Denny's has since been torn down.
Though that article did bring my attention to "googie" architecture, which I see quite a bit here in OKC. Neptunes is a good example. Interesting stuff. I might start a thread on known googie architecture here in the metro later.

I spent many a late night during mid-terms and finals at that denny's. I'm sad to see it go.

OKCDrummer77
10-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Is there a Jimmy's Egg anywhere nearby?

There's one at Penn & Britton - 2 miles north, 1 mile east of the former Denny's.

gmwise
10-31-2008, 08:03 PM
denny's just can't compete effectively with ihop of all places.
but local places like the classen grill, as well as jimmy's egg.

metro
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
dennys is way better than ihop

gmwise
10-31-2008, 11:41 PM
dennys is way better than ihop

oh i agree, i just think denny's had quality issues and employee issues.
as does any service company

oneforone
11-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Denny's main problem is their service. It was like doing business with government agency. Bad customer sevice, long delays and cold food.

Easy180
11-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Kinda tough to land quality employees willing to work the late shift dealing with drunks for 8 bucks an hour

SoonerQueen
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I like Denny's better than IHOP. Jimmy's Egg is the best, but they are only open till 2:00pm.Several of the Denny's closed in the Tulsa area too. I hear that there is a chance that Village Inn might come back to OKC. That would be awesome. They have great food and are open 24 hours.

bluedogok
11-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Village Inn came back here about a year ans half ago, built several new locations. We went to it once, they were packed and it was woefully understaffed, we felt sorry for the staff as they were trying as best they could, every time we went there after that it was still the same situation and a very long wait. The ones in South Austin by us closed in 6 and 8 months, there are only a couple left open in all of Austin are and those are in Williamson County (far North Austin). I heard the franchisee got shut down because of poor management. We have IHOP's popping up all over and they are at least consistent, we still prefer the local Kerbey Lane Cafe. I can only think of a few Denny's around here and all are up north. Panera just opened up locations here recently as well.

SoonerQueen
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
The former Denny's at 62nd and May is still standing. I just drove by it and the physical building is still there. But it has been closed now a couple of months.

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Village Inn came back here about a year ans half ago, built several new locations. We went to it once, they were packed and it was woefully understaffed, we felt sorry for the staff as they were trying as best they could, every time we went there after that it was still the same situation and a very long wait. The ones in South Austin by us closed in 6 and 8 months, there are only a couple left open in all of Austin are and those are in Williamson County (far North Austin). I heard the franchisee got shut down because of poor management. We have IHOP's popping up all over and they are at least consistent, we still prefer the local Kerbey Lane Cafe. I can only think of a few Denny's around here and all are up north. Panera just opened up locations here recently as well.

I wish we had Village Inn's still around here. There's a butt load up in T town. I just wish they'd come back cause I remember when I was a kid we'd always go there for breakfast on Sunday mornings and it was oh so good!

southernskye
11-03-2008, 02:47 AM
we still prefer the local Kerbey Lane Cafe. I can only think of a few Denny's around here and all are up north. Panera just opened up locations here recently as well.

I prefer Magnolia over Kerbey Lane. Is the Omelettry still open ?
We have been going to Classen Grill a lot here lately.

jbrown84
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I had assumed Village Inn had gone under nation-wide.

SoonerQueen
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
We ate at the Village Inn in Tulsa three weeks ago. The waitress told me that the company is exploring getting back into the OKC market. I'd love to see it. They have awesome food.

bluedogok
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I prefer Magnolia over Kerbey Lane. Is the Omelettry still open ?
I haven't been to either but my wife has, she liked The Omlettrey in the past and it is still open on Burnet. We live south (off Wm. Cannon), so the South Lamar Kerbey Lane is fairly close to us.

route66gal
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
denny's just can't compete effectively with ihop of all places.
but local places like the classen grill, as well as jimmy's egg.

support local!!