View Full Version : Ferret?

Pages : [1] 2

Karried
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
First off, just typing this has my heart pounding like crazy. I can't stand to be even in a pet store with a rodent.... omg!! those beady eyes!

Anyway, of course, as is my luck, this is all my 10 year old had wanted in his lifetime (other than drums) so for about 6 years, I've been saying... 'no way, never in my lifetime will I Have a rodent in a cage in my home'... but he insists they are more like kittens.. his birthday is in a few weeks and of course, that's all he wants... heavy sigh.

Since I've never gotten close enough to one to even notice what the heck they look like and I don't even want to pull up pics... would you say they are more rodent like or kitty like???

In the spirit of trying to overcome this phobia, I'm thinking if we get a baby, I might be able to get past this...

So... has anyone ever had one?

Do they make good pets, are they clean? omg, I can't even believe I'm considering it... do they bite??? aggghh!

Luke
10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
My brother had one.

Yuck.

It's a thumbs down from me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
If you have ferrets, rats, sugar gliders, hamsters, or gerbils, you don't have pets....You have an infestation.

Karried
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
okay, just as I thought. ugh... I so have the creeps right now!

I'm going with my original gut instinct.... 'no ferret... in 7 years kid, you can get all the rodents you want'.

MadMonk
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I once had a friend that had a couple ferrets. They go out of their cage all the time and would nip at you now and again if tried to handle them. They were mean little SOBs. I'll never have one in my house.

I had a hamster when I was a kid. It was interesting and cool at first, but I quickly became bored with it. It's hard to have fun playing with a hamster.

sweetdaisy
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
OMG, I cannot believe the statements on here!

Ferrets are awesome pets and are quite fun. The people I know that have them really enjoy them and the ones I've handled are fabulous and have NEVER bitten. They can be very playful and affectionate and a great companion animal. Also, they are NOT rodents.

It's easy to get information on ferrets via the internet. Here's a decent link to get started: Ferret Central (http://www.ferretcentral.org/index.html)

It'll give you some basic information about ferrets. Just like any pet, research and care should be taken before adopting one.

IMO, the only drawback to a ferret is it's unique odor, but if you are good about washing your hands, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Karried, try to get over this "phobia" and educate yourself about the animals (not just opinions from 3 people) before you say no.

Luke
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
IMO, the only drawback to a ferret is it's unique odor...

I guess that's one way to put it.

*gags*

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
I guess that's one way to put it.

*gags*

Yeah...I was intentionally leaving that out.

*gags with you*

Karried
10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
A kitten it is...lol

I was going to ask for a definition of unique earlier but my imagination ran wild and I changed my mind....
thanks all for the input.

Back to the drawing board...

TaoMaas
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
You should get him a bird and say, "Ferret? Oh....I thought you said you wanted a PARROT!"

Martin
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
^
just don't get him a norwegian blue.

-M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
lol...I'd get a ferret before I got a bird.

Bobby821
10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Like a previous poster said Ferrets are not rodents. We have a ferret she is not caged at all has free roam of the house in fact she lives under our kitchen sink most of the time or sometimes we will find her in our bed between the sheet and mattress pad all curled up asleep. She does not bite and if you bathe them on a regular basis there is hardly any smell. They are fun animals to have around just imagine a kitten on steroids they are a real live wire and will give you lots of laughs througout there life which on average is 8-10 yrs. They need excercise and human interaction to be taught what they can and can not do they are determined little buggers though so it does take some patience to train them. If you are thinking of getting one I would highly reccomend you purchase one from Alligator Alley in OKC, they are spayed and neutered already as well as descented and come with a 1 yr warrenty. Price range is around 140.00 + accessories

Karried
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Descented? How does that work? Does it mean they remove a gland or something?

Luke
10-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I'll bet you could descent a skunk.

sweetdaisy
10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Luke, it is entirely possible to descent skunks. In some cities/towns, it is legal to keep skunks as pets, so descenting them is advised. Apparently, they are much like having a cat as a pet.

The unique odor of ferrets is not terrible or overwhelming. It's a muskier scent and is quite tolerable, but it is always advisable to wash your hands after handling them (as with any animal or small child).

And I'd get 100 ferrets before I'd ever get a parrot. You want to talk about bites? Sheesh...check out the beaks on those things some time. Yike!

redcup
10-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, in his first 16 years...my son had an iguana, tree frog, python, garden snakes, tarantula, mice (the white version), fish, and more that I can't remember at this time. And yes, we had a ferret! Loved the little critter. He was sweet and clean. But be careful, they are good escape artists. The rule we had was he HAD to take care of whatever he brought into the house. That usually makes them think about getting a pet a bit more carefully. The minute he discovered girls...the animals found new homes! LOL

kevinpate
10-12-2008, 05:54 AM
When I was a young adult, a friend who often cut my hair had a ferret. It was mild mannered enough it went nearly everywhere with her and would frequently roam around inside her jacket or sweatshirt when she was out and about. She swears she never got tore up or bit by the little bugger.

I had no interest in petting the critter or getting to know it at all, but she adored her ferret and thought it was a grand pet.

Karried
10-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Just the words ' roam around inside her jacket or sweatshirt' nearly caused me to pass out.

I'm thinking a ferret is not a good idea.. only because I am simply terrified at the thought.

TaoMaas
10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
Just the words ' roam around inside her jacket or sweatshirt' nearly caused me to pass out.

I'm thinking a ferret is not a good idea.. only because I am simply terrified at the thought.

It probably doesn't help, but a ferret is NOT a rodent. It doesn't have rodent teeth. It's a variety of weasel, I guess, so that's probably not much of an improvement. lol

Karried
10-13-2008, 07:15 AM
A weasel.. omg, omg - I think I prefer rodent.

Please, no one mention teeth again.. I have the visual of pointy sharp teeth and beady little eyes ... eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

What was I ever thinking, there is no way I can do this.

The only thing I think is cute in a strange sort of way is a meercat. I love how they stand up and 'scream' at the birds overheard.. as long as they in their little zoo house and I'm outside of their little zoo house, we get along fine.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Out of all the furries in this thread, the only ones mentioned I find the least bit endearing are sugar gliders. I think they're pretty cute little beasties.

Not that I'd have them in my house...But they're still cute.

See? Like this one. (http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Sugar%20Glider%20pix3.jpg)

Karried
10-14-2008, 07:05 AM
oh Lord! You should have put a Spoiler Alert disclaimer.. View at your own risk.. did you see those fingernails! yikes!

Actually, I went with my friend to pick up one at a pet store.. that forever convinced me that myself and furry little tasmanian devils are not compatible!

It was almost humorous if I hadn't been so terrified... I had to go out of the small room that they opened the box to transfer it to.. this thing was running around at top speed, and leaping and jumping all over the place and was making the most God awful sounds I'd ever heard. .I thought it was a Halloween toy or something.. honestly, I have never ( and hope to never again) heard such sounds coming from such a little guy.

It was 'chattering' thats all I can think to describe the sound.

I had to hold the cage on the drive home.. it was all I could do to not leap out of that car. Thank God there was a towel over the cage or both of us would be roadkill about now...

But, yes, they are cute.... once they settle down. You have to carry them in a little pouch... anytime I determine that a furry being has to be attached to my person, I break out in a cold sweat. I'm sticking to goldfish.

kevinpate
10-14-2008, 07:35 AM
.oO(is it true that ferrets are capable of picking cage locks?)Oo.

:)

Karried
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Heavy, heavy sigh. If you've been following this thread at all, be prepared to fall out of your computer chair.....

I caved, I gave in, I buckled... I bought a baby ferret today.

I know, I know, I know!

If you ever see my child, you'll understand, he has these amazing big blue eyes .. he is the sweetest, nicest, kindest child and I just can't say no to this kid. It's all he's wanted forever.. (his best friend has a few ferrets that he loves so much so he has dreamed of having one of his own for so long ).

He doesn't know yet though, it's a surprise.

Anyway, this little ferret is actually the cutest thing I've seen.. he is tiny! 8 weeks old and he is fuzzy! He doesn't look like a rat like I thought they did. He sort of does look like a weasel though..

I went to pick up a Chinchilla.. lol.. I figured I could handle that.. it is soft and cuddly right? So, I called, yes, they had one and I went to get him. When I got there the Chinchilla was asleep, he never woke up. hmmm, wasn't quite as small and cute or interesting as I thought he might be.

So... my mom, says ' come see this!' and it all went downhill from there. Oh my gosh, this little guy was much different than I imagined.. he cuddled ( with my mom of course, I couldn't hold him, no way) and he was so funny, he was like a kitten... on crack.. lol, he was so adorable.. I never expected that. He is more like a cat than a rat .. they like toys and play constantly.

He is Descented, Neutered etc... I got him a big cage and a hammock to sleep in and accessories and will surprise my son this weekend.. I'm excited... still terrified.. yet, I think I might be able to get used to him because he is a baby. Hopefully, I can stop being afraid .... I think it will be okay.

PennyQuilts
10-16-2008, 06:01 AM
See, this is the same reason you should never "just go look" at a samoyed puppy.

I know your boy will be thrilled. Congratulations for overcoming your emotions. And yes, they are more cat-like than rat-like - so I am told. Dunno.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Heavy, heavy sigh. If you've been following this thread at all, be prepared to fall out of your computer chair.....

I caved, I gave in, I buckled... I bought a baby ferret today.

I know, I know, I know!

If you ever see my child, you'll understand, he has these amazing big blue eyes .. he is the sweetest, nicest, kindest child and I just can't say no to this kid. It's all he's wanted forever.. (his best friend has a few ferrets that he loves so much so he has dreamed of having one of his own for so long ).

He doesn't know yet though, it's a surprise.

Anyway, this little ferret is actually the cutest thing I've seen.. he is tiny! 8 weeks old and he is fuzzy! He doesn't look like a rat like I thought they did. He sort of does look like a weasel though..

I went to pick up a Chinchilla.. lol.. I figured I could handle that.. it is soft and cuddly right? So, I called, yes, they had one and I went to get him. When I got there the Chinchilla was asleep, he never woke up. hmmm, wasn't quite as small and cute or interesting as I thought he might be.

So... my mom, says ' come see this!' and it all went downhill from there. Oh my gosh, this little guy was much different than I imagined.. he cuddled ( with my mom of course, I couldn't hold him, no way) and he was so funny, he was like a kitten... on crack.. lol, he was so adorable.. I never expected that. He is more like a cat than a rat .. they like toys and play constantly.

He is Descented, Neutered etc... I got him a big cage and a hammock to sleep in and accessories and will surprise my son this weekend.. I'm excited... still terrified.. yet, I think I might be able to get used to him because he is a baby. Hopefully, I can stop being afraid .... I think it will be okay.

:ohno:

TaoMaas
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Ahhhhh...you're a good parent. A bit of a pushover...but a good parent, just the same. (j/k) LOL I think you're already seeing that our imaginations are MUCH worse than reality in many situations. It'll be okay.

Karried
10-16-2008, 09:00 AM
:redface:
He looks just like this:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8131/ferretam4.jpg

Bobby821
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Awe they are so cute...

jbrown84
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/gang5ta4lyfe/easter_ferret.jpg

Karried
10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
lol.. why did you have to post a pic with teeth? ha,ha..this will be a process for me. Wish me luck!

Bobby, what is a must have for this baby when I bring him home Saturday?

I bought the Odor-rid you put in their water and all the other accessories.. I have to get Marshall Food ( he is warrantied for one year if you feed them that).... I bought a soft hammock and the litter box and stuff.. a leash, etc etc...

I feel like I just adopted a new baby! I can't wait to see my son's face though.. he won't believe it.

Bobby821
10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Well first off you won't regret your decision. Must haves are food and water of course, toys, the hammocks are nice but not all ferrets will sleep in them. Having a safe play place outside of the cage is necessary. Ferrets love people attention and are very playful with human. They get lonely when not interacted with regularly. For our ferrets we use a Marshal brand shampoo and give them a bath once a week, anymore than that is not good for their skin. As for other products its really up to you and your son on what you want to get for your little one. Our ferrets don't live in a cage, that would be different if my wife wasn't at home all day to watch over them. We keep a food and water dish down in our laundry room and will be placing their litter box down this weekend. They are very much like a kitten on crack! Since we got our first one in February 08 we have never regretted it, and I am sure you will come to that eventually too!

As for litter box training them. It takes a constant dedication to always moving them to the box so that they get the idea to go there. they like to potty in corners and will very usually pick one corner to go in. If you stay dedicated to moving them into the litter box they pick up on that and will use it always similar to how a cat or dog is potty trained.

Karried
10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the tips... I've been going online when I can to read up on all the details.. I'm worried about my son walking into the room though, so I'm constantly sneaking a peek.. lol

I just can't wait to give it to him.. I can tell he is trying to not be disappointed because I've told him no way, no how for so long.. so this will be extra special..

I'm still afraid.. and I might have to go really slow and work up to holding it but I will eventually do it and getting used to it ... I hope.

I just have to change my thinking and pretend it's a koala bear or something fuzzy without sharp teeth and a long tail.. eeeek again. nah, I'll be alright.

Bobby821
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
We have never been bitten, if they do it is just a nip when they get wild and crazy with playing with you not a break the skin type of bite but a play type and just telling them a firm NO when or even if this happends will usually alleviate that problem. Oh and they love to steal the insoles out of your shoes we keep ours put up out of reach when we take them off. But they are just fun little buggers to have. Where did you purchase yours from?

Insider
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
My stepmom had two ferrets growing up. They learned that before she left, she would put on her make-up. So her ferrets learned to go into her purse and take the car keys. They would hide them so she could not leave. She loved those guys and described them just as you have, kittens on crack!

Bobby821
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Ours have a hideout under our kitchen sink, there is an opening beside the dishwasher they go in and out from to get under there and crawl through the hole cut between the cabinets for the dishwasher drain. they have a pet bed under there where they go to sleep and get away from it all for a while. We have a bag of suckers for halloween on our counter and the cats like to get up there and grab a sucker out to drop on the kitchen floor and bat around and when they are done playing with the sucker the ferrets will come out and find them and take them in there home under the sink and open the wrapper and lick on the suckers. Yeah well once we found this out the suckers got put away in the cabinet. They are little sneak thiefs for sure if it is something they can haul away and they like it they will take it.

PennyQuilts
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
My stepmom had two ferrets growing up. They learned that before she left, she would put on her make-up. So her ferrets learned to go into her purse and take the car keys. They would hide them so she could not leave. She loved those guys and described them just as you have, kittens on crack!

That is hysterical!!!!

sweetdaisy
10-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Karried, I have one word for you: SUCKER!!!! :) ha ha ha ha!!

Seriously, I congratuate you on this. I couldn't figure out why you were having such fear of these little creatures until you indicated you had never really seen one before. Your phobia will soon subside when you realize what fun and clever pets they are. (BTW, good idea not to get the chinchilla...too much upkeep, IMO.)

And even though I think you live up in the Edmond area, Dr. Rachel Reeves at Neel Vet Hospital (off of NW 36th & MacArthur) is fabulous with exotics and I'd highly recommend her for vet care.

Good luck! Be prepared for your son to love you even MORE!

Karried
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Karried, I have one word for you: SUCKER!!!! :) ha ha ha ha!!

lol, yeah, that's me... I am a sucker when it comes to my kids.. I don't think he'll ever understand what it took me to do this though... it's not here yet, I'll let you know if I survive the homecoming tomorrow!

I haven't touched it yet, or held it, or even gotten close.... I"m hoping I'll get past that when I get to know the new 'baby' better.

Karried
10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
oh yeah, I have to add, if I hadn't seen this one in action... I wouldn't have ever believed how cute they were. I went back and forth for about a half an hour from cage to cage.. the Chinchilla didn't move once and this baby was bouncing all over, burying his nose in the bedding and just soooo adorable.

kevinpate
10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
> this baby was bouncing all over, burying his nose in the bedding and
> just soooo adorable.

They used to say the same thang about Ted Bundy when he was a wee lad. :)

Karried
10-17-2008, 10:08 PM
lol...... ahhh Kevin you always make me feel so much better about things.. ha.ha..

PennyQuilts
10-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Karried, sad to say, I woke up this morning and the most exciting thing on my agenda was hearing how your son reacted. :)

Don't forget to update!!!

Karried
10-18-2008, 08:21 AM
lol...I'm so excited too! Of course, I had 8 11 year olds spend the night last night so I'm still in a coma..

One of them had too much pizza, cake, smores and running around all night playing flashlight tag (plus the smoke from the fire) set off his asthma and he called his mom at 3:30am to come and get him....poor thing!

Needless to say, I haven't slept all night between that and being excited to bring home the new addition.

I'll let you know how it all goes! I'm still trying to figure out how to get it from it's carrier to a cage without touching it.. lol

it's like a kitten, it's like a kitten, it's like a kitten

Karried
10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Mission accomplished! My son is thrilled beyond belief! He is still in shock I think... this little guy is crazy! He's hopping all over the place like an energizer bunny! He's in my office running around and I'm sitting in my computer chair with my feet up .. lol

PennyQuilts
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Name??????

Karried
10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
It's between Bandit, Teddy, Benny or Slash.....lol

PennyQuilts
10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Fang!!!

southernskye
10-18-2008, 10:33 PM
My daughter's husband has 2 of the nasty things and I refuse to go in her house unless I know they are safely locked up.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-19-2008, 01:34 AM
*remembers the ferret "musk"

*looks at own Username

Well there you go. Name it after me.

Karried
10-19-2008, 06:54 AM
My daughter's husband has 2 of the nasty things and I refuse to go in her house unless I know they are safely locked up.

ooooh, never thought of the advantages of having him as a mother in law deterrent...lol, I'm going to use it..

nah, my mother in law is pretty cool.... some are pretty vicious and like to throw their weight around, they like to be controlling ...but my mil is fine.

I like this little guy, he is the cutest thing.. I'm not nearly as afraid of him as I thought, and he doesn't smell at all ( yet ).. he is descented and neutered.. he is pretty cute. I actually held him.

oh gawd the smell, I'll consider your offer, in the meantime, you're an honorary uncle.. and East CoastOkie, you're an aunt.

I think we're leaning towards Teddy, because he does look like a fuzzy teddy bear.

kevinpate
10-19-2008, 07:52 AM
> we're leaning towards Teddy, because he does look like a fuzzy teddy bear.

LOL, remembering #42 and 43 above

Karried
10-19-2008, 08:28 AM
ha,ha.. yeah, I didn't mention the Ted Bundy reference to my son! He picked out the name.. lol...

Karried
10-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Meet Teddy:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6613/009ic2.jpg

Caboose
10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
That is awesome! Congrats on caving. Your son is going to have a lot of fun with him.

Karried
10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks, he hasn't stopped playing with him since he walked in the door! I don't know what I'm going to do when my son goes to school!

He actually is so much better than I imagined.. he really is like a kitty. I can do kitties..

I never knew that ferrets weren't rodents and they actually hunt rodents! very cool as I hate rodents... even though at times he does look mouse like, he acts more like a cat.. he chases balls all over the place and we bunched up a floor rug (creating little tunnels) and he plays in those endlessly.

The cutest thing is when he gets tired (he's still very much a baby) my son puts him in a beanie ( a ski mask with eyeholes) and the baby pokes his head out of one of the holes and then curls up and falls asleep in my son's lap... and just like a real baby, when my son tries to put him in his sleeping hammock, he instantly wakes up and wants to play again!

This is fantastic birth control. lol..

Karried
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Teddy has been renamed.... he is now Sir Bandit or Bandy for short.

Who knows what tomorrow might bring !?

I really could have never imagined how fun this little guy could be.. he is such a crack up.. he hops around like an inch worm. I'm glad we got a baby though, I still am afraid of the bigger ones but this one will grow on me ... I'm actually holding him and he sits in my lap. He doesn't bite at all.

I didn't know they make little clothes for ferrets, they even have hats! lol - I already love him!

redcup
10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
makes me want one again! If I did not have my little Chihuahua (large rat to some), I would so get one!

So cute! Thanks for the pics.

kevinpate
10-19-2008, 07:14 PM
LOVE the name change. Long ago we had a St. Bernard named Bandy, in part due to the eye mask and in part because we liked the song Bandy the Rodeo Clown

I had forgotten Ferrets were the Richard Simmons of the raccoon world :)