View Full Version : Motivation to Change

ericbrowning
10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I am very curious about what motivates people to take care of their bodies. Here is what I have observed as a physical therapist as factors that lead to change:

Subjectively:
Pain - This is obvious, but I feel that most people don't understand a couple of things about this. Many times they don't know what aside from an area (ie the back) they have hurt, so most of the time I hear things like "I pulled a muscle" or "I over did it". Problem is, when the pain goes away, motivation goes away. And that is a normal response, however, my argument is that pain as a symptom is just one piece of the puzzle. Low tire pressure in one tire may give you the sense that your car is pulling toward one side when you are driving. But ultimately, if you continue to drive on it because you are not particulary put out by the slight tug of the steering wheel, that over time the tire breaks down and you have a blow out.

Objectively:
Visual feedback - If you look in the mirror and you perceive that you are overweight, then you are probably motivated to do something about it.
Blood pressure, weight, cholesterol measurements - Number based measurements that show you where you fall compared to a normal range. These measurements help guide intervention for physicians. Retesting is important because people remain motivated to bring these measurements into a normal range.
Goal oriented - Maybe you want that beach body by such and such date. Maybe you want to lower your risk for a heart attack by a certain percentage.

Ok, so there are a few examples. What else motivates you? Accountability? etc.

Would it be possible for a physical therapist to motivate you to engage in preventative care if you were not currently experiencing pain at the time?

Eric

supersooner
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I would say pain for older people is a motivator. I don't know many young people that workout because of health problems, besied being overweight. I think most younger people workout and excercise for the simle vanity of it. Every gym has the large amount of people there trying to look pretty for other's in the gym. We have all flexed once or twice into the mirror, but a lot go just to see people and be seen. Vanity.
I would say the visual part of being fit is why the majority of people are in there. Then the people that it isn't really the visual part, but ersonally feel better about themselves when they are helthy and fit. I would say that the pain or rehab part of it is at the end.

Karried
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Goal oriented - Maybe you want that beach body by such and such date.

In all honesty, this has usually been my motivation... a vacation in the near future and wanting to be able to wear a bathing suit without GreenPeace being called.. j/k. But, that usually is my motivation, right before vacation, I'm working out and dieting like no body's business... of course, nothing like an all you can eat Cruise to bring you back to reality when you get home.

I despise working out, I'm really lazy when it comes to cardio .... and I love to eat. I have no idea why I don't weigh 400 pounds.. but I could stand to lose about 10 - 15 pounds easily. I just can't get started.

When you find somthing that motivates people, let me know.