View Full Version : May Avenue shops???

sroberts24
10-07-2008, 06:20 PM
the old Lynn hickey dodge site has signs up for May avenue shops or plaza or something like that... but says retail... hotel... restaurant... anybody heard anything on this?:ou2

slick
10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
May Avenue Square - At I-44 and May (http://www.mayavenuesquare.com/)

I think thats what you're looking for. I heard about this a while back, found that link months ago, but never thought much of it. My family develops hotels, but I don't know if I want to recommend that site for a hotel to them (if its still available).

sroberts24
10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah thats it... i live right by there and after lowes went in and the new ford dealership it really made the entire area nicer, now theres a starbucks and hopefully this will be nice.... better than nothing

southernskye
10-07-2008, 10:57 PM
We live just north of there, close to mayfair village, which is half empty. I think it depends on what they are going to put in there.

slick
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I think for me wanting to put up a hotel, I would consider the traffic in that area (seems heavy at times) and access to the development an issue.

Its hard for me to explain, but the area feels up beat and busy, and then run down and old at the same time. I frequent the area to go to Best Buy, Epperson Photo, and Pole Position, but then I always have that feeling that May Avenue needs some work done. Like I said, its hard to explain, but hopefully, this new development brings some new life to the area, because that old dealership lot just looks like crap right now.

southernskye
10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I think for me wanting to put up a hotel, I would consider the traffic in that area (seems heavy at times) and access to the development an issue.

Its hard for me to explain, but the area feels up beat and busy, and then run down and old at the same time. I frequent the area to go to Best Buy, Epperson Photo, and Pole Position, but then I always have that feeling that May Avenue needs some work done. Like I said, its hard to explain, but hopefully, this new development brings some new life to the area, because that old dealership lot just looks like crap right now.

I agree it does look bad May needs lots of work.
It's hell getting in and out of the circle k right there on that corner. I think a nice CLEAN grocery store there would be good. There isn't one close.

okcustu
10-08-2008, 12:18 AM
i just saw an ad for portland plaza not too from there (39th and Portland). II 5.5 acres, hotel, retail etc. that area is really getting better

amylynn5656
10-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I think a nice CLEAN grocery store there would be good. There isn't one close.

Agreed!

I lived in the Mayfair area a couple of years ago. While it is very quaint and definitely has charm, things are getting delapidated. The grocery store issue is a big one for the area. I normally drove to either Wal-Mart at Penn Sq or went to Buy 4 Less on Portland and NW Exp (bleh).

I'd love to see some revitalization for the area. There are tons of cute little houses, and some huge ones as well. The only thing its really got going for it is Target, Lowes and an over-abundance of drugstores.

Is it just me or is that the largest Lowes in the history of man? Its HUGE!!

jbrown84
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
It's good to see some reverse sprawl happening in the area, but I hope we see some nice development other than your typical big boxes and strip malls. I live very close (35th & May), so any amenities added are a huge plus. Can't wait for Chipotle going in next to Panera on NWX!

windowphobe
10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
From my cute little house around there, I used to drive to Albertson's at Britton and May, until it mutated into a Homeland; now I go mostly to Crest (23rd and Meridian).

bluedogok
10-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I lived in the Mayfair area before moving to Austin five years ago, I usually went to Buy For Less, occasionally the Wal-Mart at Belle Isle and stopped in at Mayfair Market for a quick in/out place. It is a shame that the smaller markets like Mayfair are closing, everything is just moving to the bigger is better syndrome but they are spacing those much further apart. OKC needs some new blood in the grocery market chains or Crest needs to expand, it is a woefully underserved market. My dad likes Crest (they live close to the 23rd & Meridian location) but still wishes that HEB would move in up there, he liked the store down here.

We had an Albertson's about two miles from us here that was our "quick" store because it was rarely busy when both HEB stores are a mess to try and get in/out quickly. When Albertson's closed up everything here it was gone.

southernskye
10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Have you heard when the Chipotle on NWx is set to open, I want to be the first in line. :lol2:

We shop at Buy for Less, Homeland and Wall Mart depending on what we need and what's on sale.

I wish there was an HEB here, it would put the grocery stores here out of business. But, untill they can sell wine in stores here, we won't ever have an HEB , Costco or Whole Foods.

I always take at least 2 big coolers with us to Austin, when we go to visit the grandkids and load up on stuff I can find there but not here.

bluedogok
10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you heard when the Chipotle on NWx is set to open, I want to be the first in line. :lol2:

We shop at Buy for Less, Homeland and Wall Mart depending on what we need and what's on sale.

I wish there was an HEB here, it would put the grocery stores here out of business. But, untill they can sell wine in stores here, we won't ever have an HEB , Costco or Whole Foods.

I always take at least 2 big coolers with us to Austin, when we go to visit the grandkids and load up on stuff I can find there but not here.
We do the same when coming up there, bringing a cooler back with Braums and other items, it was easy when I worked in Dallas during the week but thankfully that was over 4 years ago. I need to stock up on fry bread mix (found at Crest), my wife had never had an Indian Taco so I made them one night...now we need to stock up on the mix.

As far as the wine issue, I know the Whole Foods that we stayed next to in Boston did not have alcohol. I think they still have package store only type of laws there. There are also HEB stores in some "dry" areas of Dallas.

I prefer Freebirds to Chipotle, we have a new F-birds right by my office but none south so it is Chipotle on this side of town. I have heard that a Freebirds is open in Norman near Campus Corner.

jbrown84
10-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I go to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market at 23rd & Penn. For some reason it is nicer and not as insanely busy as regular Wal-Marts.

zrfdude
10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I wish we had Hy-Vee's...they have an awesome breakfast buffet.

okcustu
10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
We do the same when coming up there, bringing a cooler back with Braums and other items, it was easy when I worked in Dallas during the week but thankfully that was over 4 years ago. I need to stock up on fry bread mix (found at Crest), my wife had never had an Indian Taco so I made them one night...now we need to stock up on the mix.

As far as the wine issue, I know the Whole Foods that we stayed next to in Boston did not have alcohol. I think they still have package store only type of laws there. There are also HEB stores in some "dry" areas of Dallas.

I prefer Freebirds to Chipotle, we have a new F-birds right by my office but none south so it is Chipotle on this side of town. I have heard that a Freebirds is open in Norman near Campus Corner.

where's the other freebirds?

southernskye
10-09-2008, 02:45 AM
We will have to try Freebirds (http://www.freebirds.com/) the next time we are in Austin. Looks like the closest one to my daughters house is at techridge. I get so lost down there now.

metro
10-09-2008, 08:46 AM
We will have to try Freebirds (http://www.freebirds.com/) the next time we are in Austin. Looks like the closest one to my daughters house is at techridge. I get so lost down there now.

There is a Freebirds in Norman. Well worth the 30 minute drive. If you ever go to OU on gameday, its a good before or after game stop on Campus Corner.

southernskye
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
If you ever go to OU on gameday, its a good before or after game stop on Campus Corner.

:LolLolLol Me, go to an OU game ?? NOT in this lifetime.

bluedogok
10-09-2008, 08:17 PM
where's the other freebirds?
Freebirds-Texas started in College Station, they have locations in Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio, Lubbock, Houston and DFW, the Norman one was the first one outside of Texas. It originally started in California but there was a split somewhere along the way. They are company owned stores.

The new Austin location is close to my office in The Domain.

:LolLolLol Me, go to an OU game ?? NOT in this lifetime.
We will be up there for the Tech game before Thanksgiving, my wife is a Tech grad and of course I am a Sooner.

betts
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I prefer Chipotle to Freebirds, and I think I've narrowed my preference down to the lime/cilantro rice. They're both good, though.

metro
11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
May Avenue Square - At I-44 and May (http://www.mayavenuesquare.com/)

I think thats what you're looking for. I heard about this a while back, found that link months ago, but never thought much of it. My family develops hotels, but I don't know if I want to recommend that site for a hotel to them (if its still available).

Drove by this past weekend, it appears they tore down all the buildings on the property recently and hauled off the debris. I wonder if we will see dirtwork soon.

jbrown84
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Last I saw, the only remaining building (aside from the Shell) was the "Dakota Financial" building, but has that now come down too?

southernskye
11-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Most of the buildings have been gone for a couple months. The only thing left is a pile of rubble behind the Circle K . There are a couple of pieces of heavy equipment sitting there.