View Full Version : Santa Fe High London Bound

Karried
10-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Santa Fe band, orchestra students plan trip across ‘the pond’

Patty Miller
The Edmond Sun

October 03, 2008 12:38 am

— Santa Fe High School’s marching band members gave new meaning to “surround sound” Thursday as they lined the auditorium walls to play selections about hair, from “The Barber of Seville” to the American musical “Hair,” made popular in the late ’60s.

The band was joined by the orchestra as they played the “Brandenburg Concerto” by Johan Sebastian Bach.

The program was part of the welcome the school and students extended to The Honourable Roger Bramble DS, who traveled to Edmond to deliver a special invitation.

High school band members were invited to participate in The New Year’s Day Parade in London in 2010, while orchestra members were invited to perform a concert at one of 11 venues throughout the city in London’s finest concert halls on New Year’s Day, Bramble said.

“This is the first time a representative of the Queen of England was sent to deliver the invitation personally,” said band director Mike Lowery. “The highly prestigious traditional turn of year celebration in the UK capital is established as the biggest event of its kind anywhere in the world.”

Bramble told the students more than 10,000 performers from all corners of the globe entertain a street audience of more than three quarters of a million people and a global TV audience of 220 million people.

“It is not just about performing,” Bramble said. “People will love you. You will get to understand the British culture, the history of London and have a thoroughly enjoyable week.”

He told them they will get to meet people from all across the world.

“We are just the same as you, just speak a little differently,” Bramble said.

Bramble told the students as far as he is concerned music is the greatest of the arts and as ambassadors of the school, state and nation the students will get to exercise their diplomatic skills.

Principal Jason Brown told the visitors the school graciously accepts the invitation, and he believes Santa Fe has the finest music students and they will represent the city and school well.

“This is quite an honor for the school and a feather in the cap for the music program,” said Superintendent David Goin.

“What an opportunity for our students to get more of a look at the world and to be ambassadors. The more we interact with people around the world, the more we see we are alike.”

Executive Director of the London Parade and Festival Robert Bone also was on hand and he told the students and parents in attendance, “Both (orchestra and band) gave stunningly good performances.

“This is a rather splendid high school. I’m sure you enjoy it enormously.” :congrats:

(We're going to London! lol... my poor teenager!... ha,ha)

The Edmond Sun, Edmond, OK - Santa Fe band, orchestra students plan trip across ‘the pond’ (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/local_story_276234512.html)

metro
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow. That's really cool. Need any liasons?...........

Karried
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
lol.. sure. For only 3K, you too can go to London with a hundred teenagers! yikes!

Let the fundraising begin!

Anyone want to buy a candy bar?

bombermwc
10-03-2008, 02:45 PM
On one hand Im excited for them, on the other it just fires up the frustration I have in trying to get funding together for small things for the MCHS Band. Yet here's a group spending a lot more to go to London.

What an experience for the kids for sure though!

Karried
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, it is an expensive trip... the kids have to fundraise for 1.5 years and save up money and they make payments starting next month through 2009.

The fundraisers they have will go to the student's accounts so many students will be able to almost pay for their trip through their fundraising efforts.

I have a few kids that are my son's friends and I know that it is going to be very difficult financially for them to go.

What do you all think if I could convince them to gather their instruments, set up a table with the fundraiser item ( candy bars and peanut brittle, I think is the next one they are doing)... and have them play ( they play Violin & Cello) maybe on a corner in Bricktown or in front of a store to help them sell items... maybe a sign saying ' Fundraiser for a Trip to London' or something similar?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

I've never thought of it but do you need a permit to play music in Bricktown or anywhere or a permit to fundraise or do you just need a business owner's permission?

They are pretty good so it wouldn't be a public nuisance or anything.. I hope.

:band:

oneforone
10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Can't one of the parent's just put the bill on thier American Express Card? One of those parent's have to be hot shot lawyer, physician or a CEO. It would be a tax right off.

Okay... Okay... I am only joking. I am suprised that kids do not hold a holiday concert and ask for donations, sell burgers and dogs at the football games, run a haunted house at the school for the little kids in Edmond ($3-$5 a head), or hold a silent auction on items donated by community businesses. You could see if thier is a corporate sponsor willing to sign on. This is the time of year where companies are looking for charitable right off's.

Karried
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks! Those are good ideas...

In all seriousness, would there be a way for a business to write off a trip such as this?

How would a Corporate Sponsor write off something like this legally ?

Any accountants or CPA's out there?

We are trying to form an Orchestra Booster Club to help more kids be able to afford to go... it's a once in a lifetime trip for most of them and I'd love it if a lot of kids who might not have been able to go, could earn money and take the trip.

Karried
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I love this guy! He was so funny and very sweet. The orchestra will play in a venue and the Band will be in the parade. The orchestra members might also help with the floats.

Santa Fe band gets royal nod for London parade | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/santa-fe-band-gets-royal-nod-for-london-parade/article/3306788)

http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/link/bcpid1766638491/bctid1834373628

Can someone figure out how to embed this video?

karlanee
10-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Very cool! My daughter goes to SF!! Not a band/orchestra student but that's still exciting.

CG23
10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Wow - that's really exciting! My son is in the band at Summit and he thinks this is the coolest thing ever (well, I'm sure he'd think it was even cooler if he were going too!)

Good luck on the fundraising. I almost never turn down a chance to buy chocolate - but that's a lot of candy bars to sell. I like the idea of a fundraising concert.

andimthomas
02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
That's pretty awesome.
I wonder how folks in Broken Arrow could afford the base band fee. Then the trip fees that come along later. Guess it's the price to pay to be amazing. But I don't see them going to London any time soon.....
My band is wayy in debt. But then again, our band fees were extremely low.

motypl
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I went with this band back in 2001 into 2002, amazing trip... they go every four years so taht every member is able to go once.