View Full Version : OKC lands another major convention

Pages : 1 [2]

metro
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Little fish in a stinky pond! Numbers bring in the bucks and put cash in the pockets of retailers. I've watched all of you post in the other forums and tout how Okc needs to bring in revenues to boost our economy. Prestige and popularity contests don't help the working stiff unless the numbers can accompany them. Otherwise this will just be another photo op for career politicians just like we get to see with the elitist in the DOK. I'm not negative about this as I've said before, just a realist. 400-600 TOTAL attendees does not make a major convention. It's a high school prom with blue bloods from around the country that will piss and moan if they aren't catered to at every corner. How much revenue do you think this will actually bring in to our city?

Negative Nancy :doh:

Larry OKC
06-08-2010, 04:13 AM
400-600 TOTAL attendees does not make a major convention.

The Mayor stated there would be 1,000+ total attendees if that helps any.

soonerguru
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM

That is correct.

ljbab728
06-08-2010, 10:36 PM

And keep in mind that the number of attendees don't necessarily represent the total number of visitors.

fuzzytoad
06-08-2010, 10:39 PM

does that include prostitutes and "other" entertainment?

oh... I see ljbab728 already asked the same question...

ljbab728
06-08-2010, 11:21 PM

I think we have enough of those here already without having to import any "out of towners", Fuzzy.

Larry OKC
06-09-2010, 02:52 AM
And keep in mind that the number of attendees don't necessarily represent the total number of visitors.

Well, the Mayor didn't specify and in the article I have bookmarked (editorial piece by the Mayor) he said there will be 175 attendees (mayors) but when you add their families, staff, national figures etc, the number is higher. Can't find the 1,000 plus in this article...

Larry OKC
06-09-2010, 02:53 AM
That is correct.

Do you have a link? The article I had bookmarked, I couldn't find the 1,000 figure I know I read somewhere

barnold
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Larry, you are correct on the 175 number of mayors. City staff has told us to plan on 400 to a max of 600 attending the event we must attend. 1000 is not going to happen.

barnold
06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Also just saw one of our local news stations that reported this will bring in more than 1 million in revenues........where do they get this stuff from? Some people will believe anything if it's in print or on the TV.

soonerguru
06-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Larry, you are correct on the 175 number of mayors. City staff has told us to plan on 400 to a max of 600 attending the event we must attend. 1000 is not going to happen.

This is not consistent with the information I've received. There will be several hundred mayors, plus media, spouses, entourages, etc. 1000 is very possible, if not likely. I suspect this makes you bitter to hear, as it means you can't continue to publicly slag an event that is making OKC look very good.

barnold
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Sooner, I'll do a head count for you. But if it's not in the paper, would you believe an eyewitness account? Probably not, but I'll do it just for you.
Where are you getting your information from anyway? The Mayors have to pre-register for this event so that number is pretty easy to estimate. Yes 175 is really close to a couple hundred. The only media that will be covering this event are local and already here. The 600 count covers spouses and whatever entourages may accompany- (do you think, they're some kind of rockstars?).
Bitter- never! Realistic and skeptical of hype and rhetoric- Yes!
I'm more of the "show me" type, but can't claim that slogan since I'm a lifelong OKC resident.

betts
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Also just saw one of our local news stations that reported this will bring in more than 1 million in revenues........where do they get this stuff from? Some people will believe anything if it's in print or on the TV.

If there really are 1,000 people coming to OKC for the conference 1 million would be easy to generate. Ever tried to go anywhere for under $1,000? Especially if you're a mayor or staff person with an expense account. I'm no more likely to believe your numbers because you've posted them on the gold standard for accuracy....a message board.

soonerguru
06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Sooner, I'll do a head count for you. But if it's not in the paper, would you believe an eyewitness account? Probably not, but I'll do it just for you.
Where are you getting your information from anyway? The Mayors have to pre-register for this event so that number is pretty easy to estimate. Yes 175 is really close to a couple hundred. The only media that will be covering this event are local and already here. The 600 count covers spouses and whatever entourages may accompany- (do you think, they're some kind of rockstars?).
Bitter- never! Realistic and skeptical of hype and rhetoric- Yes!
I'm more of the "show me" type, but can't claim that slogan since I'm a lifelong OKC resident.

My info has come from the Chamber, which is essentially hosting the event.

I don't doubt that one of the events you're working has 175 or whatever, but there are multiple events happening all over the place, and all of the conference guests will never be at one event at the same time. Mayors will pick and choose the events they will attend, and may even be arriving and leaving at different times.

I've been told specifically there will be 600 mayors. Perhaps it's somewhat less than that, but my guess is it's much closer to 600 than to 175.

mmonroe
06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Do newspaper reporters not travel anymore?

ljbab728
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
According to this article there will 1,139 cities represented by the chief elected official although I'm sure there will be "no shows".

http://www.usmayors.org/pressreleases/uploads/DETAILEDADVISORYANNUALMTG102saturdayjune5final.pdf

redrunner
06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I think they mean the 1,139 cities are represented by their mayors in the Conference of Mayors (as the entity of the organization) and not the Conference of Mayors (event being held in OKC this Friday). There was an article in OKCBiz that said mayors from approximately 300 cities will be attending.

ljbab728
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I think they mean the 1,139 cities are represented by their mayors in the Conference of Mayors (as the entity of the organization) and not the Conference of Mayors (event being held in OKC this Friday). There was an article in OKCBiz that said mayors from approximately 300 cities will be attending.

I'm sure you're right. There were around 400 mayors last year in Providence.

Oil Capital
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Here's the article with the 1,000 number. There is also a video of the Mayor in which he says the 1,000 number, including "a couple hundred mayors".

Mayors to gather in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/article/3466384?searched=conference%20of%20mayors&custom_click=search)

barnold
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Embellishment and padded numbers. I've got some great videos of the mayor and our beloved Chamber spouting numbers as well but that's for a different forum. For all of you Pie in the Sky fanatics.......I'm happy we're hosting this event.....it's just not anything major in my or many others eyes...geeeeesh!
Betts, i agree it's tough to not go out of town most of the time and not drop $1000 especially since i'm sure it's all paid for, but if the spouses and family were to come along as well little johnny isn't going to be spending near that amount.
Newspaper guys travel to OKC for this story? Are you kidding me? Steve, think the DOK will send you to Washington next time we elect another president?

ljbab728
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Embellishment and padded numbers. I've got some great videos of the mayor and our beloved Chamber spouting numbers as well but that's for a different forum. For all of you Pie in the Sky fanatics.......I'm happy we're hosting this event.....it's just not anything major in my or many others eyes...geeeeesh!
Betts, i agree it's tough to not go out of town most of the time and not drop $1000 especially since i'm sure it's all paid for, but if the spouses and family were to come along as well little johnny isn't going to be spending near that amount.
Newspaper guys travel to OKC for this story? Are you kidding me? Steve, think the DOK will send you to Washington next time we elect another president?

barnold, of course it's not anything major for you or many other local people. It is, however, a very high profile national event no matter what you may think. And you better believe there will be out of town media here covering it. It probably won't be a lead off story on the NBC Nightly News but I'm sure it will be featured in many national and local news outlets around the country.

soonerguru
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Judging by his comments, I don't think Barnold really understands this stuff.

Larry OKC
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Here's the article with the 1,000 number. There is also a video of the Mayor in which he says the 1,000 number, including "a couple hundred mayors".

Mayors to gather in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/article/3466384?searched=conference%20of%20mayors&custom_click=search)

Thanks for the link/post

Here is one that reiterates it...

Mayors arrive for convention in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/mayors-arrive-for-convention-in-oklahoma-city/article/3467786?custom_click=headlines_widget)

The event will bring hundreds of mayors to the city, along with their families, staff members and vendors hoping to showcase their wares. ... "We will have 1,000 people or more in Oklahoma City.” (Mayor Cornett)

barnold
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Sooner- 478 attendees for opening night. 617 if you count the wait staff. I understand perfectly that if anyone on this site opposes your views they are immediately labeled as a troll, idiot or they just don't get it. After 24 years of service, I assure you that I understand much more than your feeble yet impressionable mind will ever comprehend. But you hang in there sunshine, someday you may have the great awakening.

ljbab728
06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Sooner- 478 attendees for opening night. 617 if you count the wait staff. I understand perfectly that if anyone on this site opposes your views they are immediately labeled as a troll, idiot or they just don't get it. After 24 years of service, I assure you that I understand much more than your feeble yet impressionable mind will ever comprehend. But you hang in there sunshine, someday you may have the great awakening.

barnold, that pretty much validates the 1,000 figure then considering all of the ancillary people that aren't considered attendees.

rcjunkie
06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
barnold, that pretty much validates the 1,000 figure then considering all of the ancillary people that aren't considered attendees.

Please refrain from confusing him with facts

Martin
06-12-2010, 07:04 AM
keep the discussion civil, people... back to topic. -M

Urban Pioneer
06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Just volunteered for the event at the Art Museum with my girlfriend. The place was PACKED with mayors and attendees. Everyone I talked to was literally "gushing" about how great Oklahoma City is. We were spinning them by the "Sketch to Screen" exhibit on one, the Chihuly" glass on the third floor, and on to the roof top for the late night party.

I can say first hand that this conference is leaving a lasting positive experience with the people who have traveled here.

ljbab728
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Just volunteered for the event at the Art Museum with my girlfriend. The place was PACKED with mayors and attendees. Everyone I talked to was literally "gushing" about how great Oklahoma City is. We were spinning them by the "Sketch to Screen" exhibit on one, the Chihuly" glass on the third floor, and on to the roof top for the late night party.

I can say first hand that this conference is leaving a lasting positive experience with the people who have traveled here.

That's great to hear, Urban. I think that next to the Thunder, this could be the most positive news happening for OKC in many years.

betts
06-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I was at my first event on the rooftop of the Art Museum a couple of weeks ago. The Art Museum is an incredible space for a party, and I'm just sorry I'd not been up on the roof before.

Great news about the Mayors' impressions.

soonerguru
06-13-2010, 09:11 AM
I was at the big opening night party in Bricktown and it was a huge, festive crowd. I met mayors from across the US. This, in some ways, is better for OKC than I even thought it would be.

barnold
06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I was at the blues festival last night. Met a couple of drunks that claimed to be mayors from some hillbilly towns. They cracked me up almost as much as sooner....

rcjunkie
06-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I was at the blues festival last night. Met a couple of drunks that claimed to be mayors from some hillbilly towns. They cracked me up almost as much as sooner....

Would be nice if for once you could have something positive to say about the City that provides your income. Oh well, negative people thrive on finding doom and gloom in everything.

I attend several events a year in and around Bricktown and I'm glad to contribute to the City's continued growth.

jbrown84
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM

No, this is why you get labeled a troll.

barnold
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
RC and Jbrown,
Last week I took my family to bricktown twice for dinner, attended the blues festival and spent more money supporting my great city than you most likely will in the course of the next 6 months. Troll that moron.

I love my city and am proud to be a part of it. Cuss me if you will for wanting to make it better or go and retire to the lake. I still live and work here full time. Sorry if you don't have sense of humor. Perhaps you should loosen the starched collar that makes you blue. And I was serious when I said I met a couple of drunks that were mayors at the blues festival. I was a few sheets to wind myself. We had a blast with them and have already corresponded via email, they seem like really in touch politicians with their cities.

SkyWestOKC
06-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Let's stop having a **** measuring contest of who spends more money in Bricktown.

barnold
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
OK........need more beer anyhow to continue any kind of ***** contest.

kevinpate
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
barnold doesn't need defending, but fair is fair.
Anytime you take a gaggle of politicos and toss them together in a new location, you won't have to look far to find a few cutups, a few merrymakers or some downright drunks.

Hells bells, that's not even unique to politicos come to think of it.
Folks cut loose when they are away rather differently than they celebrate when they are back home.

What would be surprising if you found a gaggle of politicos at an outdoor blues festival, and you dinna find a few tipsy bipsys in the bunch.

The alcohol does flow rather well at that event.

rcjunkie
06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
RC and Jbrown,
Last week I took my family to bricktown twice for dinner, attended the blues festival and spent more money supporting my great city than you most likely will in the course of the next 6 months. Troll that moron.

I love my city and am proud to be a part of it. Cuss me if you will for wanting to make it better or go and retire to the lake. I still live and work here full time. Sorry if you don't have sense of humor. Perhaps you should loosen the starched collar that makes you blue. And I was serious when I said I met a couple of drunks that were mayors at the blues festival. I was a few sheets to wind myself. We had a blast with them and have already corresponded via email, they seem like really in touch politicians with their cities.

Carefully, your starting to sound human!!

I was at the Blues Festival Friday and Saturday nights, the Drag Boat Races Saturday afternoon, the Zoo on Sunday. Had lunch Sat. at Chelino's, dinner Sat. at Zio's and lunch Sunday at Mickey mantle's Steak House.

barnold
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweet! You should join us in the upper deck of the ballpark for thirsty thurs.

betts
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Carefully, your starting to sound human!!

I was at the Blues Festival Friday and Saturday nights, the Drag Boat Races Saturday afternoon, the Zoo on Sunday. Had lunch Sat. at Chelino's, dinner Sat. at Zio's and lunch Sunday at Mickey mantle's Steak House.

Sounds like you need to move downtown. Just think: no parking issues and an easy walk to all of the above (except the Zoo). It's a fun place to live.

rcjunkie
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you need to move downtown. Just think: no parking issues and an easy walk to all of the above (except the Zoo). It's a fun place to live.

I love Downtown/Bricktown, go to several events a year but not the place for me to set up residence. I have a home Tuttle but spend about 1/2 the year at my cabin on Lake Tenkiller

rcjunkie
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Sweet! You should join us in the upper deck of the ballpark for thirsty thurs.

Would love to, the upper deck is by far the best seat in the house.