View Full Version : Blazers on Strike

Dave Cook
09-30-2008, 11:58 PM
This can't be good. Looks like a little problem to be resolved just prior to training camp.

PHPA Press Releases
CHL Players Strike
By Darryl Dionne Published on: Tuesday September 30, 2008

(St. Catharines, ON) The Professional Hockey Players’ Association (PHPA) announced today that they have declared a strike, effective immediately, against the Central Hockey League (CHL). This action comes after the League’s meaningless deadlines, broken promises, and hollow resources, which have all contributed to unproductive collective bargaining.

“The economic impact of the PHPA’s comprehensive proposal package, most of which has yet to be countered, is modest by today’s standards,” stated PHPA Executive Director Larry Landon. “The League has not responded to necessary player priority components for a finalized agreement such as salary cap, off-ice insurance, per diem, and travel reimbursement, which has significantly impeded the negotiation process.”

“On May 22, we submitted a new Standard Player Contract (SPC) proposal to the CHL Owners modeled on the player contracts in the NHL, AHL and ECHL. It did not contain any provisions which were out of the ordinary or inconsistent with recognized practices in professional hockey. Although we have repeatedly asked for the Owners to respond to our SPC proposal, and although many promises have been made to us about a pending answer to our requests, the CHL Owners have offered nothing. It is all too obvious that there is no willingness to negotiate even these basic contract provisions,” added Landon.

“We ask all CHL players to stand united. We believe the League’s tactics are calculated to break the Players’ Association. The PHPA’s negotiating team will continue in its quest to deliver an Agreement that we can recommend which meets the needs of players and their families, while respecting the future well being of the League and it’s Member Clubs.”

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Sweet!

Can I be a scab and go pummel other people a couple of nights a week?

That would rock.

Dave Cook
10-01-2008, 12:05 AM
The Blazers really need to get this ironed out.....with the other sports options out there.......OU #1 in football......Thunder new kid in town.......OU/UCO hockey starting last weekend....etc.

Rifleman2C
10-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, that's just great.

Nothing like a good ol' general strike to get the public opinion and interest on the side of the players. This might work and get some attention for the the Union of Affiliated Toilet Paper Workers or somesuch, but the CHL is a smaller sports and entertainment industry in several smaller markets in our country. True, the CHL will be missed by a dedicated fan base if this goes through, but if the economy is starting to unravel anyway (depending on who you listen to), who's got the time and the cash to go to a hockey game anyway?

Good luck, CHL players. Sounds like you will need it.

Blairman
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM
The Blazers really need to get this ironed out.....with the other sports options out there.......OU #1 in football......Thunder new kid in town.......OU/UCO hockey starting last weekend....etc.

Its a league issue not Blazers

Rifleman2C
10-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Its a league issue not Blazers

By that statement, I would think that you would think that the Blazers should have nothing to do or say about that... so, have you ever been a union member?

(and no, I have not been a union member... but I work in a field where you cannot just quit or submit a two week notice)

Blairman
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
By that statement, I would think that you would think that the Blazers should have nothing to do or say about that... so, have you ever been a union member?

(and no, I have not been a union member... but I work in a field where you cannot just quit or submit a two week notice)

The PHPA is NEGIOATING with the CENTRAL HOCKEY LEAGUE, Blazers have input as one of 12 teams.

Laramie
10-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Blairman:

Do you think that they will get this ironed out in time to start the season without reducing or restructuring the season?

This could be a disaster for the CHL. What a potential blow this could be for hockey fans in OKC?

Dave Cook
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
FYI......strike has been resolved.

kmf563
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
In just 3 days? Is that technically even a strike? That's more like a tantrum IMO.